Tailgating at MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Tailgating at MSU

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:59 am

The announcers from the Altitude Channel gave MSU some really good props about MSU tailgating. I guess they were VERY impressed with it and the atmosphere. The Altitude channel is giving our team a LOT of exposure around the west that is for sure. I hope they keep on broadcasting the Bobcat games as they do a very nice job. It would be nice if they let Omega pick up the feed though I do agree with that.
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:19 am

I haven't seen any of the Altitude broadcasts, so I can't comment on the quality. I do like that they are broadcasting them over Dish which is available to a larger audience, geographically wise. If they could get their deals worked out with Directv and Bresnan that would be even better. Until then I actually wish they would make a deal with one of the local channels to carry it, similar to the CSU game rather than Omega. Nothing against Omega, but I don't have cable and liked that I could watch the CSU game on local TV rather than having to go to a sports bar to see it.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:55 pm

I saw the replay of the game on Altitude on Saturday night courtesy of my in-laws dish. I thought for the most part the broadcast was good. The picture quality was very good.

Regarding the tailgating-it amazes me how big it's gotten in such a short time. But I was wondering how many in the tailgate lot never even made it to the game. When the stadium was the most full (probably mid-second quarter) there appeared to be several hundred tailgating like crazy in the east parking lot behind the student section. If everybody actually goes to the game, the stadium is way short on seats!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:41 pm

I think it is great to see how the tailgates have evolved from where they were a few short years ago. You are right, there were a ton of people that never even made it into the game and just stayed out partying at the tailgate. In fact, most of those people couldn't get in because there were no tickets left!!! We had a few friends that couldn't get their student tickets because they were gone, and they went and bought a general admission tickets so they could get in - I can't think of any time that has EVER happened before, save Cat-griz.

I was thrilled to see that most of our crowd did make it back into the game after halftime, even if they took their sweet-ass time doing so. It was a hell of a lot better than last year, when only half the people even bothered coming back. Our crowd had a lot to do with the comeback, don't anyone doubt that.

This team is making believers, folks. Not only of this team, but of this program. How can anyone doubt us after what we have done time and time again the last few years? I had a couple skeptical friends yelling their lungs off and having the time of their lives this last weekend. They told me that they have never had more fun at a football game, and I heard from numerous people that they won't count these guys out again. That isn't to say this last weekend was perfect as a football game, but it was sure perfect from the perspective of the Bobcat Football Program taking a big step towards our ultimate objectives!!!

GO CATS GO!!!

BobcatBlood
BobcatNation Letterman

Shock

Post by BobcatBlood » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:09 am

I think that teams who are visiting for the first time in a couple of years - like Weber - must just be shocked at the difference in energy.

It really is amazing. I don't know specifically what the attendance was when they came in 2002 but I bet the change in atmosphere was night and day. Even since last year things are much more exciting and the fans are playing a much bigger role.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:50 am

Yes, I was very impressed and had a blast. Unfortunately, we also have our share of crappy fans like they have in Grizville. At the Cal Poly game, there was a group of guys behind me toards the end, shouting negative crap at Lulay and the rest of the team, Kramer, etc.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kmax
Site Admin

Re: Shock

Post by kmax » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:42 am

BobcatBlood wrote:I think that teams who are visiting for the first time in a couple of years - like Weber - must just be shocked at the difference in energy.

It really is amazing. I don't know specifically what the attendance was when they came in 2002 but I bet the change in atmosphere was night and day. Even since last year things are much more exciting and the fans are playing a much bigger role.
Just out of curiosity I had to look this up, in 2002 when we played Weber the official attendance was 9,577. So between 3,000-4,000 more fans this year and the entire crowd is definately way more into the game. It truly is amazing to see how things have turned around so quickly. For a real interesting study it would be interesting to know how small the crowd was in 2000.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:57 am

I happen to have a 2001 press guide (my only one).

Weber game attendance in 2000 was 7,667.

I believe the homecoming game that year was EWU-attendance was 9,747. Our largest crowd of that season was 10,237 in the opening disaster against Humboldt State.