Any chance we see/hear Dean back in the booth for hoops?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

blackmagic
New Recruit

Any chance we see/hear Dean back in the booth for hoops?

Post by blackmagic » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:49 pm

My understanding is Alexander has given up his short lived gig in Billings and has returned to MSU. I think Atteberry has done a good job so far, but I would think if Dean was offered the position to be the PBP man again it would be a great move by MSU.

Thoughts?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:57 pm

Kind of doubt it. I could be wrong, but I think the radio broadcasters are technically employed by the radio station, not MSU(though I think MSU gets input on who it is). As mentioned on here before, Alexander is now working for Reier(sp?) broadcasting so I kind of doubt he would be doing PBP on a clearchannel station.

I do kind of miss Dean's call of the games, but I must say I couldn't think of a much better replacement than Atteburry. He really does a great job calling both the Football and Basketball games. Besides, hearing Dean's call of the 2002 Cat-Griz game was like him going out at the top of his game, a memory I will always remember!

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

blackmagic
New Recruit

Post by blackmagic » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:00 pm

My only complaint on Kris is his voice, he just does not seem to have the best voice for radio, and I've heard this from many a MSU fan whom I sit with at the games. Maybe we are all still used to Dean and his great years he gave all of us.

Did whomever hire Kris not do a voice test with him first?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:15 pm

I have to second kmax's comments on Atteburry. We all love Dean, but I think we are very fortunate to have Kris as a broadcaster -- he's a national caliber talent. I've never really noticed any shortcoming with his voice, either. He's no Charlie Steiner baritone or anything, but I've found his voice to be quite pleasant (more so when we're winning, but that goes without saying).

blackmagic
New Recruit

Post by blackmagic » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:16 pm

National caliber? That's really a streach.

A good young guy who enjoys his job, yes.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:20 pm

I'm not saying that he is going to end up on Sunday night baseball one day, but he does do AAA baseball during the summer right now, and I think he really does a nice job of turning phrases and painting a nice picture of the game on the radio.

blackmagic
New Recruit

Post by blackmagic » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:23 pm

This I agree with.

I think many long time fans like myself (30 years) have just become used to Dean and would love having him back IF Dean were interested.

CatfaninGA
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatfaninGA » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:28 pm

Kris is a childhood friend of mine, I am happy that he is getting a chance to be voice of the Bobcats, in fact I'm kind of jealous!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:31 pm

This is either a very funny coincidence or we are witnessing a split personality at work, but blackmagic and CafaninFA posted from the same IP address back to back.

CatfaninGA

Post by CatfaninGA » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:34 pm

That is very strange, I'm in Atlanta, GA. I'm using my laptop on a secure wireless, maybe that's it?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:45 pm

Is this one of those stories that ends up with an exclamation of "They're calling from within the house!" and then silence?

It is strange, though. Does anyone else use your network, and does it just happen to have a signal that reaches to a user in Montana? Very weird.

Where are you at, blackmagic? Are you stalking GA?

CatfaninGA

Post by CatfaninGA » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:51 pm

I'm doing some research right now, in fact one the phone with my provider. Come on black magic fess up!