10/11 Polls

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:15 am

MSU01 wrote:
Cat-theotherwhitemeat wrote:When's the last time ANY team handled the Griz with ease?
I believe that would be about 3 weeks ago. :shock:
Ok, there was that game.... :evil:

But, for the most part it's never an easy task....you get my drift. It's just foolish to think the Griz are a walk in the park, even for a Cat fan.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:18 am

I agree (the cats shouldn't be ranked) Now back to the point, only 3 BSC teams have a chance to get an at large bid as of today, cats, Griz & EWU. Lose 3 and I say you're out unless you win the BSC. Griz get in with 3 L's since the Griz aren't afraid of being ranked in the top 10. Is your game on Omega this week? 1:35 PM?

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:19 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:No, I think he was talking about when Kramer was there? Oh wait, Kramer is at MSU now and owning them too now :)
:twisted:
I can't remember the last time I looked forward to a Cat/Griz game this much. I hope to meet some BobcatNationer's at the tailgates.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:21 am

You are correct CTOWM. Calling a game (especially a conference game) against the griz an easy task is foolish. I think everyone is excited about the possibility of EWU pasting you this weekend. If it were to happen this is as good of a chance as EWU has. Not much would make us Cat fans happier than to see EWU give you a sound spanking - something in the range of 45-20 should be enough.

89rabbit
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 89rabbit » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:27 am

kmax wrote:
89rabbit wrote:speaking of polls and SDSU . . . look who is at #25 on this one. 8)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... 4/cfpolls/
Wow, no offense 89 as I know SDSU has had some good wins this year and is doing very well, but there are some really questionable points to that poll. GSU and Delaware ahead of Southern Illinois?!?! Why and how do you do that at this point?
I hear what you are saying . . . the GPI just came out as well and SDSU did ok there also.

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?article ... u8sbbr8l8K

South Dakota State University
Jackrabbits # 1!

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:04 pm

Interesting that Montana the State has 3 teams in the NAIA top 20. I'd like to say if MSU had played another 1AA instead of Colorado State chances would be good we'd be well up in the polls, too. But I can't. I really don't trust this team yet. We have offensevitis and a touch of specialteamaphobia. But let the word go out to one and all. The Raincat will be in the stands this coming Saturday. And by God, if I need to go down there and talk to somebody...I WILL!!! Hear me Beal? Got that, Travis? Somebody drop a pass and I WILL need an explanation!!
Incidentally, I watched Bobcat great, and now defensive line coaching great Bill Kollar intently on the Rams sideline Sunday. He's got it down! When he talks, the Ram linemen quiver!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:37 pm

89, I really didn't mean that the Jacks didn't deserve it, re-reading I see that is how it sounds. The Jacks wins over Southern and NDSU were good wins and the Jacks deserve a bit of attention nationally. My point was more to how much credit I would give that particular poll as I think it has several questionable points to it. Can't wait for SDSU to come over in a couple weeks, should be a great game! Any Jacks fans coming over?

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

89rabbit
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 89rabbit » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:05 pm

I didn't take it as a slam on SDSU. I knew what you were saying. I poll shop all the time, and look for the one that puts us in the best light and they are my favorite for the week. :wink:

You should see some Jackrabbits at the game. The athletic department has been selling the remaining seats on the charters to fans. I have never gotten to a game that way (I live in Kansas City) but I understand it is going well. I went to the Southern University game down in Baton Rouge and we had 300 + fans at the game between those that traveled and Alums from the area. I would guess that we would do a little better in your neck of the woods although I am not sure. Some posters on our board said they are going to drive over so who knows.

Sould be a good game, sorry I won't be able to attend. I will be listening on line. Looking forward to Oct. 23rd.

South Dakota State University
Jackrabbits # 1!

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:09 pm

The Jackrabbit game will test the Cas as much as any game this year. From what I hear, there is no overconfidence on the Cats part.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:45 pm

Cat-theotherwhitemeat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:The only team that should give us fits is EWU, and we get them at Bozeman!....
I want to get this straight. You think the Cats will handle the Griz with relative ease?? I'll admit, the Griz haven't looked spectacular but they are 5-1, 2-0 against some quality teams. The Cats are mirroring the Griz, winning, but not looking good doing it. I might have to save this post for later reference.

94VegasCat wrote:EWU is going to HANDLE the griz with ease. EWU has had the grizzlies number for many years. This year, it won't matter where they play, Missoula, Chenney, or Spokane. EWU will crush the griz.
I really hate dim-witted quotes like this. Tell me how you figure EWU has the Grizzlies number??? Is it the fact that the Griz have won 5 of the last 6 matchups? Or is it the overall record which has the Griz ahead 20-9-1?
Maybe it was the score of last years game? I'll remind you, 41-10, Griz. Talking about this years game may be a different scenario or it may not, but don't try and feed everyone full of BS just because you wish it were true. If Eastern doesn't crush the Griz, I'll make sure to remind you of your base-less prediction. When's the last time ANY team handled the Griz with ease? Your hatred is shining through.
wow! what a great post! This post will be a favorite of mine forever! I think I rattled CTOWM!! lol

The griz always struggle with EWU. They are never an easy out for the griz. Pretty sure that EWU beat the griz and broke their precious streak of wins in WA griz stadium. Is that correct CTOWM.

Does SAM HOUSTON STATE ring a bell!! It should ring a big bell!!!

I also checked, but maybe you should check for me CTOWM, I never said that CATS would handle the griz with ease. But now, I am starting to think that you think the CATS will handle the griz with ease and you are nervous.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:28 pm

EWU broke the friz streak two years ago in Joe Albi Stadium, which is in Spokane. It might as well have been a home game for the friz, though, they had a lot of people there.

Personally, I don't think it matters where they play - it could be in Spokane, Missoula, Cheney, or Nigeria. Bottom line is that the griz are playing terrible football right now, and are lucky to have won 5 games, when they could very easily be 1-5. They are catching a scorching hot Eastern team at the wrong time, and we all know there is no love lost between the griz and the Eagles. Meyer is playing out of his mind right now - I wonder if he will be able to sleep this week because he is probably drooling at night dreaming about torching the pathetic griz secondary. He would pass for 600 yards, except he will probably be pulled midway through the 3rd quarter. Every team in the Big Sky right now has years of payback on their minds when they play the griz, and the Eagles will extract some revenge this Saturday:

Eastern 55

Montana 27 (with 2 late scores to pad the stat line)

**No need to get all defensive about this post, griz fans. Everyone on here already knows the Bobcats have plenty of problems and questions of their own right now, and I think that has been thoroughly discussed on other threads. I have watched a lot of football tape this season, and this is just how I see it going for you this weekend. If you can't try to step away from your team allegiance and call a game somewhat subjectively, especially when your team is so clearly outmatched, then you really lose all credibility as a valid poster. I swear, reading some sugar posts over at efriz, I think at least 50% of the posters over there would pick the griz to pull out a squeaker if they played Miami!
Last edited by BozoneCat on Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GO CATS GO!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:03 am

Don't be so quick to count the Griz out. Hofstra has the #3 passing offense in the country, and ISU has #4, but the Griz won both those games (in fact I think they helped each teams average out in passing yards :)). Stop being so wishful about the Griz losing, they are finding ways to win.

Although I will admit I do like EWU's chances Saturday. And I like ours even better. :D

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:59 am

WYCAT Wrote
I think everyone is excited about the possibility of EWU pasting you this weekend. If it were to happen this is as good of a chance as EWU has. Not much would make us Cat fans happier than to see EWU give you a sound spanking - something in the range of 45-20 should be enough.
I was was thinking the same thing about your game this weekend.
PSU 48 cats 12

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:14 am

EastCoastGriz wrote:
Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:59 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WYCAT Wrote
Quote:
I think everyone is excited about the possibility of EWU pasting you this weekend. If it were to happen this is as good of a chance as EWU has. Not much would make us Cat fans happier than to see EWU give you a sound spanking - something in the range of 45-20 should be enough.

I was was thinking the same thing about your game this weekend.
PSU 48 cats 12
I think the chances of my wishes coming true are better than yours. We will see what happens on Saturday.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:44 am

CelticCat wrote:Don't be so quick to count the Griz out. Hofstra has the #3 passing offense in the country, and ISU has #4, but the Griz won both those games (in fact I think they helped each teams average out in passing yards :)). Stop being so wishful about the Griz losing, they are finding ways to win.

Although I will admit I do like EWU's chances Saturday. And I like ours even better. :D
They're finding way's to win, against much lesser teams. Kind of like us. The best team they've played this year so far is Sam Houston, and they sure didn't find a way to win that one, in fact they never had a chance. I'll admit, I thought they looked pretty good against Maine and Hofstra, but their problem is that they're getting worse game to game, not better. Or, if they are improving at all, it's just not at the level other teams are improving at. This is a product of their coaching IMO. My first thought on a prediction was a 45 to 10 affair, but then I remembered last year's NAU game when the Griz finally put it together for that one game and thumped the Lumberjacks in their place. So, it could be closer. I'll call it a 39 to 28 game, Eastern. Eastern is playing too good right now and the Griz are playing too bad. :o

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:12 am

Damn you VegasCat for stirring me up! :)

As stated, the Eags did break the 24 game streak, but it was at Joe Albi. I was at that game and the Griz did have more fans than EWU. Last year though, the Griz thumped them all over the field. So, they don't always struggle with them.

As far as saying the Cats would handle the Griz with ease, here's your quote...
94VegasCat wrote:The only team that should give us fits is EWU, and we get them at Bozeman!....
I take this as meaning the Cats should have no problem with the Griz.

And yes, the Cats do make me nervous. But so does every team because, as stated by most everyone on here, the Griz are not playing very well. They've given up a ton of passing yardage, this true. But they've also played the #2,#3, and #4 1-AA rated passing teams in the country. However, they are winning and that's what good teams do, they find a way to win.

Remember, last year NAU was supposed to walk all over the Griz in Arizona and the Griz gave them a good ol' fashioned a$$ kickin'? They did the same thing against Idaho. They play a good team, they play much better. The Cats seem to do this as well...playing down to the competition. I predict the Griz come out focused and ready. If they play like they are capable, the Griz win.

Now, I know all you Cat fans are like me. You root for the other Montana team when you aren't playing them. I'll be expecting some positive telepathic vibes coming from all of you. :wink:

VegasCat, since you must live in Vegas, what are the odds on the Montana/EWU game?

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:14 pm

raincat wrote:Interesting that Montana the State has 3 teams in the NAIA top 20. I'd like to say if MSU had played another 1AA instead of Colorado State chances would be good we'd be well up in the polls, too.
Yeah, but an NAIA team would get MSU zero respect for having way too easy a schedule. In the end, as much as I don't like it, the CSU game probably was a good idea. I don't think the Bobs are good enough to have beaten Maine, and can't quite tell how they would have done against a team from the "power 5." For those who have forgotten, "mighty" EWU got beaten like litte red-headed stepchildren by Nicholls State. Bobs might be a three loss team right now.
BozoneCat wrote:Bottom line is that the griz are playing terrible football right now, and are lucky to have won 5 games, when they could very easily be 1-5.
I was there in Reno H. Sales stadium. The Bobs were very lucky to get a win over Weber State. A false start penalty is the only thing that saved Weber from having the ball on the Bobcat 20, up by 17 in the third quarter. This is the same team that the Griz blew out at Weber two weeks ago week. Don't pretend the Cats haven't gotten their fair share of luck to avoid being 1-5 either.
I'm not saying the Eastern game is going to be easy. I like the Griz chances in an Arena style track meet, since we have a much better T.O. mergin. I like the Griz chances in a close game, since the Griz know how to win close games. I like playing in Cheney, as the Griz faithful already bought thier tickets for the game, while the EWU faithful think they can walk up and purchase tickets for a game the Griz sold out. Go ahead, keep thinking the Griz are down. Keep focusing on the Griz, and not the opponent for the weekend. Or, be intelligent, like CelticCat, and focus on victory for the Bobcats, to keep the season going strong.
Last edited by theblackgecko on Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:24 pm

CelticCat wrote:Don't be so quick to count the Griz out. Hofstra has the #3 passing offense in the country, and ISU has #4, but the Griz won both those games (in fact I think they helped each teams average out in passing yards :)). Stop being so wishful about the Griz losing, they are finding ways to win....
Now here is a man with integrity. Catatac, this guy deserves a nice cold bottle of Bud Light at your next tailgate.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:23 pm

CelticCat wrote:Don't be so quick to count the Griz out. Hofstra has the #3 passing offense in the country, and ISU has #4, but the Griz won both those games (in fact I think they helped each teams average out in passing yards :)). Stop being so wishful about the Griz losing, they are finding ways to win.

Hold on a second here, guys. I am definitely not counting the griz out yet, I think they have earned the right to be counted in until more than a couple schools prove otherwise. While I don't wish victory for the griz, ever, I am also not dumb enough to blindly pick them to lose just because I hate them - although most griz fans are dumb enough to blindly pick them to win just because they love them. What happened at NAU last year: #1, was a fluke (I still think NAU wins that game 70% of the time) and #2, doesn't have anything to do with this year's game against EWU.

Personally, while Sam Houston State/Hofstra/Northern Colorado/Bungles all have very good passing offenses, I think you are kidding yourself if you think that playing against the griz didn't help their passing stats. The griz D is still #1 in rushing defense only because no one bothers to run it against them, not because they are stopping the run. The stats also show that while it might be fun to watch your team pass up and down the field, it takes a little more balance and heart to win those games, and that is what the grizzlies have. Remember, folks, the griz have been tucked away safely playing most of their games at home. On the road, they got beaten like little red-headed stepchildren by SHS, and beat a terrible Weber team that gave up in the second half after fumbling at the goal line on the last play of the first half. This will be a big wake up call to many in griz nation that they just can't show up and intimidate people anymore. Years of frustration and payback will be taken out by any team in the Big Sky that has the talent to do so, and I think Eastern does. I also think Wolff can coach Crybaby Hauck under the table, and will have his guys ready to go. I stick by my prediction.

GO CATS GO!!!

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:28 pm

Eastcoastgriz wrote:I was was thinking the same thing about your game this weekend.
PSU 48 cats 12
Wanna throw some money down on that bet, idiot? If you want to give PSU 36 points this weekend, I'll max out my student loans to get some of that action! That being said, I don't think I would give more than 10 points to Eastern, although I do think they will win by more than that. It is certainly much more realistic than predicting a PSU team without much of an offense will throw up 48 on a Bobcat Defense that hasn't given up that many points in ages.

GO CATS GO!!!