10/11 Polls

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:22 pm

beartrainer
So how much money do you guys waste EOGriz. If you make just as much money from a home game that means you guys blew through over 7 million dollars last year??? You griz are great at adding up the gate but you also need to look in the other column at your expenses. Trust me that is not an inexpensive happening. I have to laugh when one of you griz think that you are making as much money. Trust me if you make 50% to 60% PROFIT (look up that definition if you don't understand it), that would be a remarkable. Most college football games yield in the 35% range for profit, but in the frizzes defense they have a little more going for them. The highest I have ever auditted was 54% at Michigan, and that was for a game not for a season. Those expectations might be what lead you guys to the 1mill. ooops>>>.
Hopefully you’re not a msu business grad. $7,000,000 dollars last year??? Where did that come from? My point was your 1A road game and our home game makes a similar amount of money. No one ever said we make $1,000,000 per home game and if you think msu gets paid $1,000,000 for a road game, you need to get off the drugs.

And while the our past AD did a poor job with the accounting of funds and expenses; you might want to look at the red ink in your own books.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:28 pm

Eastcoastgriz wrote:
I just love how everyone calls them body bag games. We only got 1 player dinged up at the CSU game and he played the next week. We've won 2 games since. Playing tougher competition (and away from home) makes your team even tougher physically AND mentally

Are you telling me you would rather the team go out on the road for a sure loss than play a quality 1AA game at home?
No, but they aren't body bag games. We usually injure more of their players than they do of ours... so I guess they could be considered body bag games, since we put them into the bags. :D

Besides, it is great exposure for our program.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:40 am

I refer to them as bodybag games because the I-AA team has little to no chance of winning, not becuase they cause more injuries than normal. Team shows up, gets beaten, gets a check.

beartrainer
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by beartrainer » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:55 am

Eastcoastgriz wrote:beartrainer
So how much money do you guys waste EOGriz. If you make just as much money from a home game that means you guys blew through over 7 million dollars last year??? You griz are great at adding up the gate but you also need to look in the other column at your expenses. Trust me that is not an inexpensive happening. I have to laugh when one of you griz think that you are making as much money. Trust me if you make 50% to 60% PROFIT (look up that definition if you don't understand it), that would be a remarkable. Most college football games yield in the 35% range for profit, but in the frizzes defense they have a little more going for them. The highest I have ever auditted was 54% at Michigan, and that was for a game not for a season. Those expectations might be what lead you guys to the 1mill. ooops>>>.
Hopefully you’re not a msu business grad. $7,000,000 dollars last year??? Where did that come from? My point was your 1A road game and our home game makes a similar amount of money. No one ever said we make $1,000,000 per home game and if you think msu gets paid $1,000,000 for a road game, you need to get off the drugs.

And while the our past AD did a poor job with the accounting of funds and expenses; you might want to look at the red ink in your own books.
EC griz

I am thinking that if you make (profit) 250,000 per game plus your alumni contibutions etc and your state wide sponsorships were added up then you would be getting close to the 7mill mark, actually it is probably closer to 5.5mill. The problem is the griz don't profit anywhere near what the cats will for a game like CSU. I would proffesionally guess that the CATS came home with about $200,000.00 in profit after expenses. I would also professionally quess that the girz profit about $100,000.00 from hosting a game. I have debated this issue with countless griz, and when they go do a little research the find this is true.

As far as calling them body bag games, did you catch the game 3 years ago against WSU, they were running out of back boards,bandages, and everything else. The cougars were dropping like flies.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:00 am

Beartrainer wrote:
As far as calling them body bag games, did you catch the game 3 years ago against WSU, they were running out of back boards,bandages, and everything else. The cougars were dropping like flies.
Of course he couldn't have seen that part of the game. Those maroon colored glasses cloud out that part of reality.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:23 am

Allow me to try and be diplomatic here. Would we all agree that most Bobcat fans would love to have 7 home games, and would all also agree that most griz fans would love to see their team tested by the likes of Colorado State or Oklahoma State once a year?

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:33 am

I agree completely with the first part - I think all Bobcat fans would love to have 7 home games each year. It would provide more opportunity to see the games for most and obviously gives us a better chance to win more games and have a better record at the end of the season. Can't argue with that at all.

However, I do not honestly think that most griz fans would like to play a CSU/Oklahoma St./etc. every year. Some would, and I may be wrong but I really think most would rather play home games they have a good chance to win every week. I don't think this position is unique to the griz either, most I-AA schools would rather have winnable home games than money (I don't like the term body bag) games especially those that have the home draw the griz get. Did I just give them a compliment. :oops: In I-AA football come playoff selection time 8-3 means a hell of a lot more than 7-4

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:53 am

wycat
However, I do not honestly think that most griz fans would like to play a CSU/Oklahoma St./etc. every year. Some would, and I may be wrong but I really think most would rather play home games they have a good chance to win every week.
If the choice is between a quality IAA game at home or IA game on the road, I believe most GRIZ fans would choose the home game. I also believe most cat fans would choose the same.
Last edited by Eastcoastgriz on Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:11 am

beartrainer
I would also professionally quess that the girz profit about $100,000.00 from hosting a game.
We have averaged a little over 23K per game this year. Based on 20K tickets at $24.00 and 3K tickets at $7.00 gate receipts are $500,000 alone. Plus concessions sales, plus merchandise sales. You stated most college’s average 35% profit. That puts $175,000 in our coffers from ticket sales alone.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:17 am

I agree I would rather play a nationally ranked 1-AA team (such as Deleware or WKU) at home, then travel to play a 1-A team. But I do like a lot of the positives that come from playing a 1-A team. For one, that game at CSU was broadcast all over Montana, although I don't think it was broadcast in Colorado anywhere. But the last 2 games (@ISU and vs WSU) were broadcast on a Dish Network station based in Colorado. So anyone who has dish network could watch the Bobcat games. Was this any relation to playing CSU? I would like to think so.

The players love it, and no one on the team went into CSU with a no-way-we-can-win attitude. If it wasn't for a few mistakes, that game would have been closer (not saying we could have won, but there is always the tiny possibility).

In conclusion, these games give us money, great experience, great exposure, and if we were able to pull of an upset one year, great recogntion,

beartrainer
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by beartrainer » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:08 pm

Eastcoastgriz wrote:beartrainer
I would also professionally quess that the girz profit about $100,000.00 from hosting a game.
We have averaged a little over 23K per game this year. Based on 20K tickets at $24.00 and 3K tickets at $7.00 gate receipts are $500,000 alone. Plus concessions sales, plus merchandise sales. You stated most college’s average 35% profit. That puts $175,000 in our coffers from ticket sales alone.
Back to my initial point how much money can you guys blow in a year*lol*. Of coursre Andersons give you all your sweat shirts and coats and everything, so they are also full profit. My point is universities try to make their game days run as inexpensively as possible, it is the only way that the athletic programs generate cash flow, the rest are 1 time a year hits in the budget. I audit university athletic programs for a living, and if the griz are really generating that much PROFIT then they need to start offering a new major, maybe they can call it "athletic fund management". Of course there is one other problem with offering such a class, then everyone would have your self proclaimed athletic edge.

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:57 pm

beartrainer, I'm a little bit scared that you "I audit university athletic programs for a living," considering your grammar/punctuation :) But, it is a message board, not Shakespeare.
BelgradeBobcat, I love your diplomacy here. I don't think I would go as far as to say I would like to see the Griz play a Colorado State once a year, but I would rather see that than home games against DII opponents. Considering the high ticket prices, I think the Griz fans deserve to see good teams come to town.
As far as the Cats, I'd like to see the Adams States dropped from the schedule. The non-conference slate has been a DII team, and a pair of GWFC teams (both of whom have had suprizingly good seasons), and a I do like the SFA home/away deal, and I would like to see the Bobs have the front end, and the back end, of home/away deals each year with teams that have comparable fan base/ playoff potential.
[quote="CelticCat"]For one, that game at CSU was broadcast all over Montana, although I don't think it was broadcast in Colorado anywhere.[/quote[
I think all Bobcat games should be broadcast in Montana. It's quite ironic that I can watch all Griz games on television, but am never sure about the Bobs here in Bozeman.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:26 am

theblackgecko wrote:beartrainer, I'm a little bit scared that you "I audit university athletic programs for a living," considering your grammar/punctuation :) But, it is a message board, not Shakespeare.
BelgradeBobcat, I love your diplomacy here. I don't think I would go as far as to say I would like to see the Griz play a Colorado State once a year, but I would rather see that than home games against DII opponents. Considering the high ticket prices, I think the Griz fans deserve to see good teams come to town.
As far as the Cats, I'd like to see the Adams States dropped from the schedule. The non-conference slate has been a DII team, and a pair of GWFC teams (both of whom have had suprizingly good seasons), and a I do like the SFA home/away deal, and I would like to see the Bobs have the front end, and the back end, of home/away deals each year with teams that have comparable fan base/ playoff potential.
CelticCat wrote:For one, that game at CSU was broadcast all over Montana, although I don't think it was broadcast in Colorado anywhere.[/quote[
I think all Bobcat games should be broadcast in Montana. It's quite ironic that I can watch all Griz games on television, but am never sure about the Bobs here in Bozeman.
All of the games were slated to be broadcast by Omega here in Bozeman, but for some reason Altitude carried the last couple of games over the Dish Network. Omega was originally scheduled to do those, but talk to the head of marketing or whatever to figure out why he gave the broadcast rights to Altitude instead of Omega. Omega wasn't allowed to broadcast the game without buying it from Altitude, which I'm pretty sure Omega couldn't afford.