Most enjoyable Stadium you have seen a College game in?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatfaninGA
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Most enjoyable Stadium you have seen a College game in?

Post by CatfaninGA » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:32 pm

This could be interesting, name your favorite stadium (besides Bobcat Statium) where you have either seen the Bobcats or possibly your "other" favorite college football team play.

Mine:

1-A Football games

1. Death Valley - Clemson, SC (season ticket holder)
2. Doak Cambell - Florida State
3. Texas A&M - road trip this September, can't wait!
4. Orange Bowl - road trip this November ditto
5. Superdome - 2003 Sugar Bowl

1-AA Games

1. Bobcat Stadium
2. Boise Stadium - ok they used to be 1-AA
3. Grizz Stadium - you have to admit they have improved it some
4. Furman, SC
5. Charleston - Citadel National Championship game 1984 Baby!
6. Chatanooga! Hopefully MSU will be playing there soon!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:36 pm

Haven't been to too many sites but Washington-Griz is pretty nice. Weber's new stadium is pretty good as far as BSC stadiums go. I saw Oklahoma play at Iowa State. I visited Camp Randall Stadium in Madison Wisconsin, but didn't see a game there. Being in Montana we just don't get a chance to see many of the big stadiums!

2024 Resume dominance

CatfaninGA

Post by CatfaninGA » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:38 pm

Yeah I guess I am lucky in the fact that living down here in the South, where college football is a big time event, I'm lucky enough to be able to travel especially with the ACC to see many bigtime schools stadiums.

I do miss Bozeman, my Parents still live there, so I do get home every now and then!

:lol:

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:45 pm

1) Bozeman (Tailgating is AWESOME)
2) Colorado State - Really nice stadium and very good fans. Plus they serve beer in the stadium (okay .. I might move this one up to #1 :)
3) Wyoming - Stadium is in decline, but they also have great fans and their STUDENTS really get into it.

89rabbit
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 89rabbit » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:05 pm

I-A
Arrowhead - Kansas St. vs Oklahoma 2003 Big XII Championship Game
Iowa City - Michigan vs Iowa
Lawrence - Nebraska vs Kansas
Lincoln - K-State vs Nebraska or UCLA vs Nebraska
Manhattan - Iowa St. vs Kansas State

I-AA
Brookings - anyone vs SDSU
Fargo - SDSU vs NDSU

Thinking about doing the Georgia Southern and Montana St. road trips this year but have not made up my mind.

South Dakota State University
Jackrabbits # 1!

CatfaninGA

Post by CatfaninGA » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:14 pm

rabbit, take it from me, since I live down South. Skip the GA Southern road trip and watch it on TV. Trust me Statesboro is nothing you are going to miss by not being there, it's out in the middle of nowhere and not easy to get to.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:22 pm

Aside from a UW game I've never seen anything other than MSU games in person, so my list of stadiums to choose from is fairly short...

1) Husky Stadium-UW
2) Martin Stadium-Washington St./Idaho
3) Grizzly
4) Idaho St (am I the only one who likes Holt Arena?)
5) Wyoming

Others I have been to are Albi, NAU dome, UNI dome, and Weber.
Last edited by MSU01 on Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:24 pm

Best I've been at: Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama. 85,000 seat stadium right in the middle of a town and campus similar in size to Bozeman and MSU. It's just a little crowded.

People park and tailgate on any vacant piece of ground they can find.

The Tiger walk before the game when the band, cheerleaders, coaches and players parade to the stadium through the human tunnel of Tiger fans really gets everyone pumped. We need to work on doing the same thing when our players march from the Fieldhouse to the team house next to the stadium.

Big Time college football in the South is just one of the greatest spectacles this country has to offer.

A place that needs help: Minnesota Gophers at the HHH Metro Dome in Minneapolis. They need their own home really bad!

A nice day out: Martin Stadium in Pullman, Washington. That is truely a unique place-Big Time college football in a town that seems about the size of Livingston.

CatfaninGA

Post by CatfaninGA » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:31 pm

Belgrade your post describes Clemson gameday to a T as well. Clemson is a town of 12K, with a stadium that seats 84K, gamedays are something special thats for sure, we take great pride in our tailgating that's for sure!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:46 pm

Ga: I think one of the big differences between the South and up here is people make a whole day/weekend of it in the South, whereas up here people expect a parking space right outside the stadium five minutes before kickoff and expect to drive away unimpeded right after game is over.

I must say though, that in the last two seasons the entire gameday atmosphere in Bozeman has improved dramtically! We have a long ways to go, but the journey is half the fun.

CatfaninGA

Post by CatfaninGA » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:52 pm

You got that right, I got a big shock the first Clemson game I went to after going to MSU games since I was 2.

We have reserved parking about 1/4 mile from the stadium in the middle of campus, we start up from Atlanta on Friday, and set up our tailgate which does not stop until Sunday morning. We have a row of 10 people who all work together to provide 7 TV's with satellites, full bars the whole works.

I finally got to go to a MSU game for the first time in years last season (N. Colorado game) I headed up to the stadium about 3 hours before kickoff to partake in some tailgating, I admit they were trying, and the Pabst was flowing!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:44 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:Ga: I think one of the big differences between the South and up here is people make a whole day/weekend of it in the South, whereas up here people expect a parking space right outside the stadium five minutes before kickoff and expect to drive away unimpeded right after game is over.

I must say though, that in the last two seasons the entire gameday atmosphere in Bozeman has improved dramtically! We have a long ways to go, but the journey is half the fun.
I definitely agree - getting much better but could still be improved. It's a logistical challenge, given the layout of the stadium, roads, and parking, but they need to find a way to combine the tailgaters into one. :o The way it is now, I have to walk back and forth between the younger college crown to the North, and the older (me) alumni crown to the South.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobCatFan » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:15 am

One on my buddies after college was a four starter for Univ of Va. He would take us the games and he always had a VIP pass. I got into places only former UofVA football players were allowed.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:47 am

1-A

1) Folsom Field - Boulder CO.

I saw CU beat K State there a few years ago. Ralphie alone made this #1.

2) Autzen Stadium - Eugene, OR.

I've been to several games at Autzen. The most memorable was seeing Joey Harrington lead the Ducks down 4 points, 75 yards from the end zone, and with 30-some seconds left with no time-outs to a winning TD pass to a TE I can't remember. An unreal drive and one the probably won't be topped.

3) Husky Stadium - Seattle, WA

On a sunny day, it might be #1. On a cold, windy, rainy day, the Lake Washington chill makes it drop off the list.

1-AA

1) WashGriz - It's the truth. Plus my Mom has terrific seats.

2) Bobcat Stadium - Although I haven't been to a game at the updated facility, it still was up there in my books.

3) PGE Park, Portland, OR - great urban setting, although the stadium is built for baseball and you are miles from the field. The fact they sell beer at the games makes it noteworthy.

JahGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by JahGriz » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:09 pm

I-A

Husky Stadium - UW - My first taste of big time college football when I was a but a kid. UCLA came to town and I was in awe of the whole thing. At the time I though it was so cool that UW made up T-Shirts saying FUCLA.

I-AA

Wash-G R I Z. Is there really any doubt.
Marshall (when they were I-AA). Just a great overall experience. Their fans were great hosts, their stadium rocked, and the game was excellent.

hoags11
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by hoags11 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:27 pm

PapaG I think the TE you refered to was Jed Weaver who is now a Denver Bronco.

1A-Autzen Stadium What a nutty loud awesome place for football (Damn Loud really)

1AA-Hate to say it but Washington Griz is an awesome place to watch football. the bummer thing is that I have had several visiting players tell me the fans along the rail right above the sidelines are the rudest, crudest, ruthless fans they have encountered.

raincat

Post by raincat » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:12 pm

There are a lot of things to consider; "viewability", atmosphere, excitement, accommodations, facilities, history, etc. I've been to Yankee Stadium, and as a facility it's very good, but today many are better. But, Yankee Stadium is the best place I've ever watched a baseball game, ever. Similarly, Notre Dame Stadium has to be my number one in college football. Likewise Harvard Stadium, built when they were a national power, is like sitting in an early Greek Olympic marble stadium of about 35,000. Although wash griz is much more modern, given a choice, I'd take Harvard. That said, if the g* view Bobcat Stadium as an erector set joke, take a ride to Seattle and look at Husky Stadium, whom the friz would surely deem the Robin Williams of stadiums. The beautiful little bowl stadium (something like wash griz) that once was Husky Stadium now has two, huge erector set grandstands looming over both sidelines. Maybe this is the blueprint they intend to follow in Missoula. Wouldn't that be perfect? But right now give them their due. Wash griz is easily among the tops in 1AA. On any given Saturday, if the Bobcats aren't around, sit me in the old Pine Bowl in north Spokane, with my dollar hot dog and 75 cent coke so I can watch Whitworth battle somebody like Linfield while the couple dozen or so in the student body section carry on live converstaions with the opposition on the field.

CatfaninGA

As far as college football goes, I challenge anyone

Post by CatfaninGA » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:05 pm

to beat gameday in Clemson, SC!

Last edited by CatfaninGA on Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:39 pm

hoags11 wrote:PapaG I think the TE you refered to was Jed Weaver who is now a Denver Bronco.

1AA-Hate to say it but Washington Griz is an awesome place to watch football. the bummer thing is that I have had several visiting players tell me the fans along the rail right above the sidelines are the rudest, crudest, ruthless fans they have encountered.
Hoags11 - The absolutely hysterical part of your comment on the fans right above the visiting sidelines is that my Mom's seats are three rows behind the railing on the 40 yard line. I'd say things get pretty heated, but even though I'm a Cat I'll say that things have never crossed the line at games I've been at. I've heard stories of a few fan insults to some 'southern' teams that my Dad told me about, but I wasn't at those games when the incidents supposedly took place.

Also, as for the TE, it probably was Weaver. It was against ASU in Harrington's junior season.
Last edited by PapaG on Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoags11
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by hoags11 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:48 pm

PapaG,

I was at the Oregon/ASU game. One of the best games I have ever seen in person. Autzen goes nuts when the Ducks are on Fire. And the dang Duck Calls and yellow rain suits. The place kills me!