Two TD offense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:30 pm

Football Fan, perhaps you are just too desperate to find fault with Bailey and the offense. No offense intended here, but did you watch the game or just follow the scoreboard? The offense moved the ball very well this game. Yes, as WYCAT pointed out there were a couple bonehead calls, but very few and none that I can remember that stalled drives. Drives this week were killed by dropped passes(a couple easy, and well set up screens come to mind), penalties and misfires.

I have never claimed to be a Bailey apogist, nor do I think that he hasn't been to blame for the offensive impotency earlier this year, but to say that Bailey or the offensive scheme is to blame for the fact that only two offensive TD's were put up against Weber is to ignore every other apect of the game except the scoreboard.

Good God, now you've got me starting to sound like a sugar-coating egriz poster. ](*,)

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:35 pm

kmax: Don't involve use, we always score at least 20. :D

cats always have the griz defense to look forward to, might even get 25 against them.

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:41 pm

jagur1 wrote:kmax: Don't involve use, we always score at least 20. :D
So does your opponent. :wink:
jagur1 wrote: cats always have the griz defense to look forward to, might even get 25 against them.

As somebody on egriz pointed out, the way the two teams match up this year on the two sides of the ball we could be looking at a 0-0 shootout. Anybody know when it gets dark on Nov. 20? May need all of that time to finish it.
Last edited by kmax on Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

jagur1
Member # Retired

Post by jagur1 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:46 pm

Kmax little do you know we held UNC to 16 points.
400 yards passing but 16 points. :D

Never mistake activity for accomplishment.

I'm sick of the man because the man is a thief.

Four

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:00 pm

jagur1 wrote:Kmax little do you know we held UNC to 16 points.
400 yards passing but 16 points. :D
=D^

BobcatLionFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatLionFan » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:07 pm

Maybe I was watching a different game.

Mistakes and penalties seemed to be the drawback in not scoring. Granted still a shouda and a maybe, but
3 lost fumbles and one interception. Interception in the end zone, fumble on the 4 yard line.
Then 9 penalties for 98 yards (doesn't really say it all when one called back a 50 yard TD run.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:52 pm

Don't forget the 50 yard run by Domineck that was called back on a WEAK call, and then overthrown pass to a wide open Guinn in the endzone.

:roll:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:14 pm

My thoughts to quickly add to the collection:

The bad: Penalties were horrendous and at the worst times. Some bad officiating but some bonehead plays nonetheless. Need to limit those against PSU

Turnovers were a killer, definitely need to limit those if we want to beat PSU.

Secondary did not look that good against a poor team, IMO. Need to improve there definitely.

The Good: Play calling – Not bad in this game. I’m still reserving my judgement on Bailey overall, but the poor O in the 1st half was due to poor execution. I too have frustrations though, when you look at all the great 1-AA teams that score 40 – 50 points on a regular basis, against good D’s. Why can’t we git sum a dat???

Lulay – Played well. Not flawless but got er done. The “terrible” throw to a “wide open” Guinn wasn’t as bad as some are making it sound. I was a little buzzed but this is what I saw: It was a 50+ yard throw, Guinn had a receiver within 5 yards and closing, he was overthrown by less than 5 yards (Obviously better than being under-thrown) and this was into a stiff headwind. In fact when he let that ball go I though, “Oh Shi! – that thing’s gonna hang and get picked. It just kept going!” That’s my sugar coat for the day. Those throws don’t bug me. IMO Travis’s weaknesses are putting too much heat on those rifles across the middle, and the short ones that he fires too hard, and too low. The 2 Guinn missed were tough to catch because Travis threw them too hard and too low. It’s only 6 yards, just pitch it out there to his chest and let Chaz do his thing!

E.J. - No need to even mention this breakthrough. When that ball landed high in the bleachers and I saw those arms go up, I swear that stadium sounded louder than the opening kickoff last year against the Friz... :lol: :cry: (Tears of joy)

Parting thought… I wonder how Tyler Lulay would be at returning kicks. Hmmm. With any more DB injuries we may be burning that redshirt anyways… or is he still slated to be a DB?
Last edited by catatac on Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUcantouchus » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:37 pm

My feeling on tyler Lulay is that he will be used on offense in some way. He is very solid and looks pretty quick for a white guy, just kidding. Mark my words he will be a reciever next year. He will be remenisant of some of the little white griz recievers of the past that were so good.

I do not think Kramer will burn his red shirt to return punts and play db. Jimmy Beal will move back to corner before that happens.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:04 pm

Talking with Lulay's parents they say that Travis and Tyler have sort of a connection between each other that is uncanny. They told my wife that they can hardly wait to start playing together. the only draw bacik they mention is that some of the things they used to do in highscholl may not be within our offense. It sounds as if they sort of wing it! You know..."runb a quick slant fake left and go long, I'll pump one time... then go to the post"

2024 Resume dominance