Thoughts on the CSU game from a CSU fan

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kmax
Site Admin

Thoughts on the CSU game from a CSU fan

Post by kmax » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:36 pm

Alright, with the chance of sounding too much like BearBac, I found this from a CSU fan on the ramnation boards and thought the difference in perspective was interesting considering the things Cat fans have been saying about the game. (note that the bolded emphasis is mine)
The game...

I thought Montana State played well, but made WAY too many mental
errors to stay with us. I don't know how many penalties they had,
but they never seemed to correct them.

I like their QB play & I thought their offense was pretty good
overall.

Their DBs are pretty good. I thought they covered Morton's speed on
the outside VERY well. Anderson was covered pretty well too.

What is up w/ the Bobcat's punting thing? They only
punted "normally" once, right? I never understood that thing. Were
they afraid of DA's punt returns? huh?

Our much needed win...

We should have scheduled them before USC. I think we had a hang-
over from the heartbreaker at Folscum. We were smacked around in LA
& had another hang-over vs. the Gophers. MSU is a good team. I'm
not sure we are "that" much better than the score would indicate
though. (just being honest)

MSU fans...

What a nice bunch of people. Very classy, supportive of their team
& I had numerous discussions w/ them before & after the game.

Good luck the rest of the season, Bobcats.
Kind of odd to me that a fan of a team that has just come off of playing USC and Minnesota would say that our fourth string corners covered pretty well. Granted, they made some great plays and, in my mind, played great considering they just got thrown in there. Have we just gotten a bit too spoiled the last couple years with the likes of Joey and Kane in the Defensive backfield that we are expecting a bit too much? I guess we will see this weekend going against ISU, as somebody pointed out in the other thread, they will definately test the DB's.

Also, must say a great big thank you to all Cat fans who made it down there, from this and other posts there it sounds like Cat fans made a very good impression on the Ram fans.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Thoughts on the CSU game from a CSU fan

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:47 pm

kmax wrote:Alright, with the chance of sounding too much like BearBac, I found this from a CSU fan on the ramnation boards and thought the difference in perspective was interesting considering the things Cat fans have been saying about the game. (note that the bolded emphasis is mine)
The game...

I thought Montana State played well, but made WAY too many mental
errors to stay with us. I don't know how many penalties they had,
but they never seemed to correct them.

I like their QB play & I thought their offense was pretty good
overall.

Their DBs are pretty good. I thought they covered Morton's speed on
the outside VERY well. Anderson was covered pretty well too.

What is up w/ the Bobcat's punting thing? They only
punted "normally" once, right? I never understood that thing. Were
they afraid of DA's punt returns? huh?

Our much needed win...

We should have scheduled them before USC. I think we had a hang-
over from the heartbreaker at Folscum. We were smacked around in LA
& had another hang-over vs. the Gophers. MSU is a good team. I'm
not sure we are "that" much better than the score would indicate
though. (just being honest)

MSU fans...

What a nice bunch of people. Very classy, supportive of their team
& I had numerous discussions w/ them before & after the game.

Good luck the rest of the season, Bobcats.
Kind of odd to me that a fan of a team that has just come off of playing USC and Minnesota would say that our fourth string corners covered pretty well. Granted, they made some great plays and, in my mind, played great considering they just got thrown in there. Have we just gotten a bit too spoiled the last couple years with the likes of Joey and Kane in the Defensive backfield that we are expecting a bit too much? I guess we will see this weekend going against ISU, as somebody pointed out in the other thread, they will definately test the DB's.

Also, must say a great big thank you to all Cat fans who made it down there, from this and other posts there it sounds like Cat fans made a very good impression on the Ram fans.
I parked in the CSU student section and had the MSU flags flying :) We got heckled some, but most were very nice and would come up and chat. Peter Fields came over for a little while to. It was a beautiful day and a fun time had by all. I can say the same thing about their fans as well, very good/nice fans. We should schedule CSU every 3 years I think. With the MSU ties and similiar cities it makes for a very fun/sporting time. I was glad I could finally meet some BobcatNation posters down there as well. I finally got to meet WYCAT and BayAreaCat down there and it was fun to discuss the team with them in person. I forgot to wear the sunscreen though and I am now paying for it :)
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:55 pm

I spent much of the day hanging out with CSU alums (including some post-game long range route throwing and catching that I'm still sore from), and they were quite gracious in their comments. Nobody was thrilled with the way CSU played, but nobody seemed to think that the score really told the story of the game, either. One guy I talked to was really impressed with our tight end (Wolf), which is interesting that he got noticed -- I guess some of the wishing for more passes to the TE from people in here came true. Hopefuly Wolf will be healthy next week. He took a nasty shot over the middle.

I was really impressed with the MSU fanbase at the game. If I were a Griz fan (tongue in cheek here, for those who can't tell the difference), I would say that there were at least 20,000 of us, and that we were all loud, classy, attractive, and struck fear in the hearts of the Rams on their own field. The truth is, there were only about 1,000 to 1,500 of us there, but it was still very impressive. The Denver area alums turned out in force, and I saw a lot of people from Montana down as well. I hope we have an equally large crowd in Sacramento later this year, which we usually do.

It was great finally putting faces and names to WYCAT and Cardiac. Thanks for letting me hang out with you guys during the second half!
Last edited by SonomaCat on Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bronco
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bronco » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:08 pm

I watched the game Saturday night. I've been hearing that the cats are bad this year but I didn't see it. I thought the team was hustling on every play and the receivers made some good catches. The defense was hitting someone hard on every play. Lulay ran well but passed just OK.
I think CSU is down from last year but I think everyone is down from last year. USC and LSU don't look as good and the Big Sky seems a notch lower. Portland State will be the team to watch.