Your best Bobcat Football Memory

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatfaninGA
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Your best Bobcat Football Memory

Post by CatfaninGA » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:51 am

I would have to say my all time favorite Bobcat football memory is the 1984 playoff game with Rhode Island. Down 10 points late in the 4th with RI driving for another score, then Joe Roberts steps in front of the pass in the endzone and takes it to the house, followed up by a muffed kick off recovery, then Miller taking the next handoff 30 yards for the lead!

A close 2nd would be of course the NC game in Charleston, SC. Anybody lucky enough to get on the charter DC-10 they flew into Bozeman? Would the plane actually life off at Gallatin Field? LOL!

1984 The Cardiac CATS! What a great year, and just think we lost to Idaho State that year, go figure.

I don't get to many home games anymore now that I live in Atlanta, but I am a die hard Clemson Tiger Fan, each year when it's Cat-Friz weekend, it's also Clemson - South Carolina week, just think Cat-Friz x 1000. I enjoyed watching Cat-Griz on our satellite as we tailgated in Clemson, I even got other fans to join me in rooting for the Bobcats, of course I had to explain yes that is snow on the field. LOL!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:32 am

That playoff game was a great moment in bobcat football history, but in Basketball I still remember the MSU/ISU game in like 1970(?) when Bill Brickhouse and Willie Weeks both had 38 points for the Cats and Willie Humes had 54 for the Bengals and we won like 104 to 102 in overtime! (no three pointers there!)

2024 Resume dominance

rtb

Too Young

Post by rtb » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:16 am

Ok, I am too young to have many old time memories, I really have only been able to attend Bobcat games the last four years that I have been in school here. I am a Montana kid so I have watched a lot of games on TV, but two memories and they are both Cat/Griz

Last year when we beat the Griz in Missoula the town of Bozeman went crazy. That day/night was one of the best days I have ever had in Bozeman!!

The greatest moment for me was this year when Corey took the opening kickoff back. As soon as he caught the ball and made those first moves I knew that we would beat the Griz for a second year in a row.

I used to live in NW Montana where being a Cat fan was really really painful. Griz fever is/was huge there, but I stuck by my Bobcats. Finally I got to experience what it is like to have the Cats beat the Griz, before the current streak I was 3 the last time it happened!

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:27 am

Sitting with the whole family watching the 1984 national championship on T.V. I was only 13 at the time, but still remember the pure excitement throughout the game. Watching big Joe Bignell catching a pass over the middle and rumbling down the field.

P.S. does anybody happen to have a tape of that game?

2nd: The return to the playoffs against McNeese. We may have lost, but we made it!!

GO CATS!!

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:14 pm

Lots of great memories. I'll give my top 5 that I have witnessed:

1.) 2003 vs. Northern Arizona. We score 2 TDs in the final 2 minutes, with the best onside kick/recovery you will ever see. A lot of fans had left, but the faithful that remained witnessed the best comeback in Bobcat history. Bobcat Stadium rocked that day!

2.) 1995 vs. #1 Idaho. We put a complete whipping on Idaho that day, they scored 2 late TDs to make it a respectable 40-35 game. It was awesome.

3.) 2002 vs. UM. I was at the game in Missoula, and it was a day I will never forget. There were more Bobcat fans at the bars in Missoula than griz fans. Everyone was standing on top of the bar and chanting "eat sh*t grizzlies, GO CATS GO" all night long. We completely dominated the game physically, and the 10-7 final score was in no way indicative of the whoopin' we put on them.

4.) 2003 vs. UM. Amazing. We got beaten up in the first half, but still led because of two great plays by Corey Smith and Kenny Qualls. Corey's return is the best single moment I can remember..... pure magic. Levandar Segars' hand still hasn't recovered from trying to chase down Corey! In the 2nd half, we put the whoopin' on them, and out-muscled and out-hustled and out-hearted them. It was a glorious day, and Bozeman rocked. Tearing down the goalposts right in front of all the griz fans was great, watching them cry like their poor little coach!

5.) 2002 vs McNeese. We did lose, so I hate to put this game on the list. However, our team played with so much heart and truly left it out on the field. I could not have been more proud had we won.

*** My other favorite moment was when we scored the go-ahead TD in 1997 against the griz. People were jumping around, hugging and kissing complete stangers. It was insane. Sadly, it was followed by a 22 second time span that will haunt Bobcat fans for the rest of our lives..... :(

rtb

2003 vs NAU

Post by rtb » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:55 pm

How could I forget? That was so amazing. So many people had cleared out of the stands, but the faithful remained. Being a faithful fan who won't leave a game early no matter what paid off that day.

I will never forget, I was up towards the top of the student section and when the crowd errupted after the first td I turned around and watched tons of people running back to the stadium to find out what was happening.

What a great game, the best comeback I have ever watched!

raincat

Post by raincat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:51 pm

Any or all of the above plus: (1). In the late 60's the Bobcats ended the season at Idaho and got humiliated 54-0 by a Vandal team returning in tact the following season. The following September Idaho came to Bozeman and there was literally a war at old Gatton Field. It was the kind of game the Bobcats were famous for at the time....swarm and hit until the other guy breaks. Soph Dennis Erickson and Jr. Don Hass led the Bobcats to a 24-10 win over one of the best Idaho teams ever. (2) The Cat-g* game in Missoula when a battered (late, great) Paul Schafer put the Bobcats on his back and beat the griz (again). (3) When Stenrud took the field and "attempted" a 59 yard field goal. Back then anything over 35 yards was something of a circus act, but aided by a tail wind of about 200 knots, the ball blew through the uprights at 201. I swear, if the crossbar is 10', the ball never got any higher then 10 1/2 feet. But it was a beautious thing to behold and stood for a while as the NCAA record. Triva input,... I do believe the holder that day was Marvin Tiller, little brother of Joe.
I gotta admit tho', for sheer joy power and certain to make any Bobcat smile is THE Cory Smith kickoff return. The only way Hollywood could improve on it would be to make it the LAST play of the game.

HelenaCat

Post by HelenaCat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:12 pm

Those are all great memories. Another one of mine goes back to sometime in the late 80s (can't remember what year exactly). I lived in Boise then and Boise State was in first place and high up in the national rankings. MSU was in last place or close to it and BSU was going to Bozeman to play the Cats. All of my BSU friends in Boise were ribbing me all week as to the way the broncos were going to whip the Cats. The game was on TV in Boise and I watched the Cats just destroy BSU that day, something like 54-17. It was one of those days where everything went right for the Cats and everything went wrong for BSU. I had a lot of fun at work on Monday! :lol:

raincat

Post by raincat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:02 pm

Speaking of memory makers...anyone found out how to obtain a copy of the Fox or ESPN presentation of a season with the Bobcat football team?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:08 pm

I sent another email to the production company that did "The Line" a while ago to follow up on that, but I haven't heard back from them. I will give it another shot today.

The first Bobcat game I ever saw live (which was like going to an NFL game from my small town perspective) was MSU vs. Rhode Island in 1984. In terms of recruiting me as a Bobcat fan, that's all it took. As an impressionable 12 year old, I had no choice but to become a lifelong Bobcat fan.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:17 pm

Here's the website where you need to notify them that you would like to purchase a DVD of "The Line":

http://theline.tv/purchase.html

Bodysnatcher
New Recruit

Post by Bodysnatcher » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:22 pm

1996 MSU VS ISU in Bozeman. That Cat's stopped the Bengals on four straight plays on the 4 yard line to win the game. Remember that one? :shock:

Dylan Tripp
aka Body Snatcher

maroon
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by maroon » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:25 pm

Bozone: The 40-35 win over Idaho was in 1992. Doug Nussmeier ran for a 80 yard TD but the Cats took over after that. It was 60+ degrees...a great day for football. We stayed for an hour after the game drinking a few cold ones. Cliff Hysell stopped by and was treated like royalty.

Bodysnatcher
New Recruit

Post by Bodysnatcher » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:28 pm

It was Brad Nessmeir

Dylan Tripp
aka Body Snatcher

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:59 pm

A couple other games that stand out for me aside from the ones that have been mentioned...

1994 (approx.) vs. Weber-It started snowing very heavily a couple hours before kickoff and continued through much of the game. There was a bunch of snow on the field and they showed highlights on SportsCenter that night. Really fun game for those of us who don't mind a little inclement weather at a football game.

2001 @ EWU- Bobcats win fairly convincingly at Albi. This wasn't the first win of that season but this was the game where I got an idea of how good things could/would get in the next 2 seasons and beyond.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:29 pm

We had some real nailbiters during the 1984 championship season with Boise and with Nevada-Reno the latter of which went 4 overtimes.

2024 Resume dominance

CatfaninGA

Post by CatfaninGA » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:34 pm

Helcat72, you are so correct.

The 4ot game was my favorite

Boise game, again played in lots of snow - Jessie Davis!

UM game - played in the mud at dornblazer - Joe Bignell went bonkers

Fresno State - beating a 1-A team on the road, their fans are still in shock

1984 What a great year to be a Bobcat Fan!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:48 pm

BEST: THERE'S A TIE

1) Corey Smith taking opening kickoff and shoving it down the Griz's throat. Segars who?

2) 2003 - NAU game .. jumped so high up on the bleachers after that onside kick/eventual score that I slipped and crashed forward onto 2-3 HOT chicks. WHAT A GAME! Never did get a phone number :)

WORST:

1997 - I think most die hard Cats fans know what game I'm talking about.
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:32 pm

Speaking of " The Line" TV show, Kramer was talking about the athletic department getting selling DVD and VHS of the show this spring. If you are thinking of purchasing the shows you might contact the athletic department about a purchase. I would rather see MSU recieving a small profit for the sale than Amazon.com Just a thought.

maroon
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by maroon » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:56 pm

Doug Nussmeier was the name. He's coaching at Michigan State.
http://msuspartans.ocsn.com/sports/m-fo ... oug00.html