Why Not Coach Kramer?????

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Why Not Coach Kramer?????

Post by WYCAT » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:03 am

After two terrible games by Travis why won't Coach Kramer baste him like he has so many others in the past? Granted the receivers have been for the most part terrible but so has Lulay and not a word said - in fact - Kramer was even quoted as saying Travis played well enough to win yesterday??? Last year the shine of his freshman campaign wore off throughout the course of the year and except for a few bright spots, i.e. the NAU last two posessions, here and there he really had less than stellar sophmore season. Take the Wyoming game for example, both offensive and defensive fronts controlled the line of scrimmage, the running game was adequate, the defense dominant at times and except for the blocked punt returned for a touchdown, Travis' 4 interceptions were the difference. That continued throughout the season and not once did Kramer have a negative word. If a running back fumbles or a receiver drops a pass, they are publically berated but never Travis. I really think Kramer needs to do something to elevate his play at sooner than later. If we don't have a backup he trusts than Travis better pick up his game or 1-10 is looking pretty possible.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:16 am

It does no good to openly criticize your QB in the press....no matter how he performs. Kramer learned that with Ryan Johnson. Give him credit for learning a lesson. Just because he has mad that mistake before doesn't mean he should do it again.

Travis has taken responsibility for getting the offense going but he's shouldering too much of it and is pressing. He needs to relax and just play catch. He can't force the recievers to catch the ball, or try to make that perfect trow all the time because you can see the result. All he can hope to do it make good decisions and throw. He has to realize they are a team and no matter what has happened in the pat...he can't win the game by himself.

2024 Resume dominance

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:16 pm

Did he really learn his lesson with Ryan Johnson? He still makes a lot of public comments about running backs, receivers, linemen, etc. Just never about Travis. I know he is trying and is pressing too hard but I don't think Kramer is even putting a boot in Travis' butt in private. And, he isn't a kid anymore, he is well into his junior year which means over 1/2 way done with his career. I agree with another post, putting him down for a few series wouldn't hurt anything. Give him a little time to look at things from the sidelines instead of under pressure. I am not questioning that Travis is our QB and shoud remain so - I was only trying to say that he seems immune to Kramer's rath and that isn't fair to everyone else.

Bleedinbluengold
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:37 pm

One does have to wonder about how a highly touted recruit such as Gatewood can have 2 games in row that were just 2 of the worst games I've ever seen a receiver play.

One has to wonder what the problem is when Jr. Adams, perhaps the best pure receiver ever to play at State, tells me Gatewood is thee real deal. I got to know Jr. as a player and, therefore, I trust his opinions when it comes to recognizing talent.

Wondering what the heck the problem is with catching the ball........

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:11 pm

Bleedinbluengold wrote:One does have to wonder about how a highly touted recruit such as Gatewood can have 2 games in row that were just 2 of the worst games I've ever seen a receiver play.

One has to wonder what the problem is when Jr. Adams, perhaps the best pure receiver ever to play at State, tells me Gatewood is thee real deal. I got to know Jr. as a player and, therefore, I trust his opinions when it comes to recognizing talent.

Wondering what the heck the problem is with catching the ball........
He sure looked like the real day in the scrimmages I thought. Maybe he is a gameday player ??? I agree, he needs to step it up. He seemed to have really good speed/hands over the middle in the scrimmages and the speed to break down the seem. I hope its just that he is having a hard time adjusting to the game speed. But we'll see.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:03 am

I watched him (Gatewood) in warmups and then in the game. He seems to be "thinking" about his routes like "dance steps painted on the floor" so he develops no speed. He runs his routes very choppy like he's trying to step on grasshoppers...no fluid speed so the DB's are covering him like a blanket. I didn't watch every route he ran but that's my obersvation on a couple of them. I would say he needs to make his cuts at full speed wrather than making sure he makes every move.
Last edited by Helcat72 on Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:37 am

WYCAT, give me a break, you dont belittle ANY of your players publically. If Travis warrants an ass chewing, then give it to him in practice, on the bench, at halftime, but definitely NOT to Kris Attebury after the game.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:44 am

That was never my point. My point was Kramer never holds back with his comments about other players except Lulay. I agree wholeheartedly that this part of coaching should be done in private but that isn't his style with Lulay. What he did to Ryan Johnson a few years ago was ridiculous. That is all I was asking from the beginning!!!!!! Can I say it any clearer to make you understand my point CAT PRIDE?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:00 am

Also keep in mind that coaches motivate different players in different ways, right or wrong. That's part of being a good coach -- knowing how to get the best performance out of certain players.

Keep in mind, after some of Kramer's public comments on the team/players, the team has actually played much better. Is that coincidence? Maybe. Or maybe not.

It's possible that Kramer knows better how to motivate Lulay and the rest of the team better than we do... or maybe not. I'd like to see some proof of that assertion being true over the next couple of weeks, though.

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:52 am

WYCAT wrote:That was never my point. My point was Kramer never holds back with his comments about other players except Lulay. I agree wholeheartedly that this part of coaching should be done in private but that isn't his style with Lulay. What he did to Ryan Johnson a few years ago was ridiculous. That is all I was asking from the beginning!!!!!! Can I say it any clearer to make you understand my point CAT PRIDE?
If I misread you, then I am sorry there buddy. We have no clue as to how Kramer handles his kids privately. He's the coach, let him do his thing. Just so long as he doesnt belittle the kids publically, then its all good with me. That is a chicken*%& way to do things. Especially to kids like Ryan Johnson, Scotty Turnquist, etc.

One thing I do know is that people are all of a sudden being a little hard on Lulay. Yes he isnt playing up to the lofty expectations we have set for him, but it also isnt all his fault. When his receivers arent catching the ball, you can almost see him trying to place it in their hands instead of just throwing it. You can almost see Travis thinking (or worrying) too much out there and trying to catch the ball for the receivers. If we get these guys catching more balls, then Travis' confidence in them will rise, and the real Travis Lulay will appear. The same goes for his OL. As soon as they start blocking for the RBs and protecting Travis, we will see the real Red Headed Houdini. He obviously cant do it all by himself, yet when the line doesnt block and recievers dont catch the ball, he damn near has to do it all by himself.

Cal Poly was possibly the best defense the Cats will see all year. That doesnt take away from the fact that we still should have executed better game plan and game play, and win that stupid game Saturday! Still, things are sure to get better for this team offensively....they have to right? Lets all just settle down a bit, dont anybody jump off a bridge right now. Lets get past CSU, and get started with conference play. We will see the real Bobcat team then. Its one loss people..... :roll:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:32 pm

Exactly. The Lulay-bashing is getting old. Some bad throws? Yep - every passing Q-back has them, every game. Probably worse when you lose confidence in the receivers. Overall, let's not forget that if not for 2 dropped passes that probably would have been TOUCHDOWNS... we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:10 pm

Once again (and for the last time) this was never intended to be a Lulay bashing post. I agree completely he is our guy and wouldn't make a change if I were coaching. It started out a comment about how no matter how bad he plays (and games 1 and 2 haven't been very good) Kramer finds fault with everyone else but never Travis. Just an observation not bashing of Travis catatac.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:17 pm

catatac wrote:Exactly. The Lulay-bashing is getting old. Some bad throws? Yep - every passing Q-back has them, every game. Probably worse when you lose confidence in the receivers. Overall, let's not forget that if not for 2 dropped passes that probably would have been TOUCHDOWNS... we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Heck, even last nights NFL Sunday Night game had PRO QB's throwing passes at WR's feet (Palmer AND Feeley). This sometimes happens people (usually do to QB is rushing the pass/not setting his feet/short arming the throw).

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:17 pm

I know you weren't bashing Lulay, I was referring to some other threads I've seen, and things I heard from disgruntled fans at the game. Misguided frustration. Regarding Kramer, I haven't heard him single out criticize any players recently... did I miss something? Also, there have been times where Kramer has stated that Travis needs to improve his play. Fact of the matter is, in this situation, Travis probably doesn't need a kick in the ass. Kramer nailed it on the head by saying that Travis played well enough to win the game. So did the defense. The receivers and running backs didn't. That's a fact.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!