No Returning Returner?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

No Returning Returner?

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:39 am

Anybody know who's slated to return punts\kicks? I'm not even sure who the options would be although I hears Mike Williams may be one.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

gfallscat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gfallscat » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:46 am

i have also heard that eddie smith..the juco transfer db coming in is slated for this.

tony moss had him as the #3 juco transfer in the nation at the 1AA level...a shut down corner who is also a returner.

if i am not mistaken i think he originally went to the u of oregon out of high school.

Cat Pride
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat Pride » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:00 am

Kramer says its between Eddie Smith and Michael Williams. I might like to see Jimmy Beal get another shot, especially with his speed. Although, if I remember right, he had a couple muffs last year - NAU comes to mind.

Smitty did go to Oregon out of high school. Lot of conflicting stories on why he isnt there, but Kramer said his mother won some suit against the NCAA and won some eligibility back....Eddie will turn 24 next season, and will be listed as a sophomore for the Cats! :D

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:34 am

This was from the athletic department release about the recruiting class. Sounds like Kramer at that time was pretty high on Smith being involved in the return game, don't know for sure if that is still the case.
Eddie Smith, CB (5-9/185/Jr/Union City, CA--San Mateo JC/Oregon/Saint Mary’s of Berkely HS)
A talented corner who began his career at Oregon... transferred to San Mateo last fall, and has three years of eligibility at MSU... picked off five passes, broke up 15 others, and had 31 tackles... was his team’s most insporational player, earning first team all-league and all-state kudos, drawing some JC All-America mention... a highly touted prep tailback, scoring 39 touchdowns with 2,500 yards. MSU Coach Mike Kramer: “Eddie is a stopper. We hope he will be able to lock up our opponents’ best receiver and allow us to continue our tradition of outstanding man-to-man defense. He has the ability to be a big-time cover guy because of his skill and confidence. He had a great 2003 season at San Mateo and is finally on his way to stardom at the collegiate level. Utilizing Eddie’s return abilities on both punts and kickoffs will be essential.”

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:47 am

Cat Pride wrote:Kramer says its between Eddie Smith and Michael Williams. I might like to see Jimmy Beal get another shot, especially with his speed. Although, if I remember right, he had a couple muffs last year - NAU comes to mind.

Smitty did go to Oregon out of high school. Lot of conflicting stories on why he isnt there, but Kramer said his mother won some suit against the NCAA and won some eligibility back....Eddie will turn 24 next season, and will be listed as a sophomore for the Cats! :D
24 year ole Soph.? Yes!!! :lol: I'm not alone...

Great time to be a BOBCAT!