Best Cat Football Player??

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bleedinbluengold
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:41 pm

great post!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:23 am

As far as JIM STARR, it was not Kollar or Fellows. He was a linebacker for the cats at about that time though. I do know some people that know him and for the life of me cannot think of his name. It was Jim something though.

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:52 am

Actually Stenerud was in the last draft when the AFL and NFL were separate. He was drafted by both the Falcons and Chiefs. Kollar was a #1 for the Bengals. Had a bad ankle and was moved from DT to linebacker. Was considered mostly a 1st round bust and traded to Tampa Bay where he had a good career at DE.

Sonny Holland, Kelly Bradley, Don Hass, Paul Schafer, Sean Hill, Mark Fellows, Cory Widmer...take your pick. I was one of the thousands of people who claim they were there when Stenerud was "discovered", and he was actually a pretty good friend at the time. It always amazes me that when he was a sophmore at MSU he didn't know a goal post from a Plymouth. I, on the other hand loved football from as far back as I can remember. He ends up in the NFL Hall of Fame. I didn't.... Tell me America isn't a great place to raise your kids!!!

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:55 am

Kalafat - CMR

I wouldn't put Bradly in the top 10. He had one GREAT year. It would be like putting Doug Williams in the Hall of Fame. Kelly's a good guy though.

I would actually have to say Jon Borchardt was better than all but Widmer.

Doesn't Ryan Johnson have to be included in the discussion? I think so.

Like you raincat, I taught Fellows everything he knows! :lol:
Last edited by Bleedinbluengold on Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

raincat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by raincat » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:56 am

Jim Kalafat aka Starr

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: Best Bobcat Player

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:58 pm

Helcat72 wrote:It's gotta be either Kollar or Mark Fellows for the total impact they had. Fellows really stood out on the '84 championship team. He was also drafted by san diego and started for them his rookie year until he broke his pelvis.
Bill Koller/Mark Fellows/Roger Cooper (by the time he graduates).

Bleedinbluengold

Post by Bleedinbluengold » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:04 pm

Not to nitpick, 72, but I don't think Mark started. I believe he played behind one, Billy Ray Smith.

tctait
New Recruit

Best Bobcat Ever

Post by tctait » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:51 pm

Rob Tesch on Offense and Special Teams
Neal Smith on Defense

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: Best Bobcat Ever

Post by catatac » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:34 am

tctait wrote:Rob Tesch on Offense and Special Teams
Neal Smith on Defense
Wow - I was just thinking about that last night and was going to post Tesch. He kind of got screwed is terms of Hysell and and the scouts but he was definitely good. I can specifically remember him always going up for those great catches and either getting crushed, or getting hit, breaking a tackle or two and turning on the burners. Kind of reminds me of Heidelberger for the Griz. Hopefully a receiver or two from this year's team can play to that caliber - Guinn?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

soccertodd
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by soccertodd » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:29 pm

As much as I thought Joey Thomas had all of the raw talent in the world I don't know that he ever fully played up to it on the field. The leader of the defense while Joey was at MSU was certainly Kane Ioane. With that said, I don't know how you can include Joey Thomas in this discussion without including Ioane. Just because a guy is a good NFL prospect does not mean that he should be immediately declared one of the best Bobcats of the modern era. If that were true then John Taylor would have to be included as well even though he got injured and has not made it to the NFL.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:17 pm

bobcatftbl wrote:A little off topic, but you guys seem to know past players pretty well. Does the name JIM STARR sound familiar to anyone? He was "Laser" on American Gladiators and from what I have heard played for the cats in the '80s. Anyone have any info on him??

The Jim that you are thinking of is Jim Kalafat. He was a middle linebacker. He had NO neck. I remember that he was about 5'10" and about 230.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO