Sonny Holland Game Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Sonny Holland Game Thread

Post by aucat » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:58 pm

What was the kicking game like? It was a big part of our downfall last year.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:26 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 pm
BornBobcat2000 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:59 pm
I’m surprised to see some of the comments about the backup QB’s, because I didn’t think they were very impressive in the passing game at all. Maybe I’m being harsh, but I didn’t think any of the backups looked like a game ready QB #2
I would second that. I personally think this is the only position I would love to see us land a portal transfer QB with experience. Not saying the backups aren’t good, but if Tommy goes down and is out for a couple games, could these 3 guys step in and pick up where Tommy left off?
Come on guys. Reed was playing with primarily 2’s on offense. Bad snaps, different timing, shaky blocking all worked against him. Reed will be fine.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:21 am

One thing I didn't like seeing is at the end Reed dropped back and immediately threw a sidearm pass from about waste high for the corner of the end zone. It looked like something I would do in a pickup game. And it was overthrown. There just needed to be more accuracy on that pass. Set feet. Throw normal overhand ball.

I thought the backups were bailing out of the pocket tko soon alot of times. And spinning out of the pocket when they didn't need too. Taking their eyes off their downfield receivers. When they could've just slid to the left.

This is me picking at nits.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:18 am

aucat wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:58 pm
Kautzman hit his first three FG's all around 40 yards. Later hit one much closer but also had one blocked. Hit all his XP's. I was very pleased for him.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:19 am

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:49 am

After sleeping on it, I thought back to my original thoughts while at the game. This WR corp is going to be amazing. This group of RBs is super deep. The OLine is going to be super talented. We have one of the best QBs in the FCS. Our defense is going to be vastly improved. The tackling yesterday was far superior to last season. There appears to be depth on defense. Depth abounds on offense.

Jordan Reed can win games with the team around him. We pound the ball and we stop the run. Our secondary has experience.

We have a formidable schedule and we get some of the usual suspects at home this year.

This team should finish its season by playing on Monday.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:31 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:18 am
aucat wrote:
Kautzman hit his first three FG's all around 40 yards. Later hit one much closer but also had one blocked. Hit all his XP's. I was very pleased for him.
Pretty sure #39 Myles Sanstead hit a few of those though I can’t remember if it was just extra points or if he took a FG try.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:43 am

kmax wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:31 am
84CatGrad wrote:
aucat wrote:
Pretty sure #39 Myles Sanstead hit a few of those though I can’t remember if it was just extra points or if he took a FG try.
When did we get him? I don't remember hearing about another kicker.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:47 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:26 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:45 pm
BornBobcat2000 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:59 pm
I’m surprised to see some of the comments about the backup QB’s, because I didn’t think they were very impressive in the passing game at all. Maybe I’m being harsh, but I didn’t think any of the backups looked like a game ready QB #2
I would second that. I personally think this is the only position I would love to see us land a portal transfer QB with experience. Not saying the backups aren’t good, but if Tommy goes down and is out for a couple games, could these 3 guys step in and pick up where Tommy left off?
Come on guys. Reed was playing with primarily 2’s on offense. Bad snaps, different timing, shaky blocking all worked against him. Reed will be fine.
These are good points. I recall a spring game where fans thought the fourth string QB should be start or be the backup. I haven't seen the scrimmage replay but from what I saw of Reed last season, I think he is going to be serviceable at worst.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:50 am

kmax wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:31 am
84CatGrad wrote:
aucat wrote:
According to the scoring summary, Sansted made 3-3 XPs, while Kautzman was 1-1 on XPs. I think Kautzman was 3 of 4 on FGs. Makes of 40, 45 and 30.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:56 am

Redshirt freshman Colson Coon ran 28 times for 216 yards in the three spring scrimmages. 7.7 yards per carry.

toM StUber

Dbrewmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dbrewmsu » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:03 am

On the topic of QB 2. There was this kid a few years ago. Can't remember his name but he got his first start in a playoff game. I don't think many people had much confidence. That kid played put of his mind and took the Bobcats to the natty. I think he might be good this year too

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:19 am

Dbrewmsu wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:03 am
On the topic of QB 2. There was this kid a few years ago. Can't remember his name but he got his first start in a playoff game. I don't think many people had much confidence. That kid played put of his mind and took the Bobcats to the natty. I think he might be good this year too
I doubt you find anyone that is gonna debate that. Unfortunately also pretty tough to debate that a QB2 will be needed at some point to back him up considering he has yet to make it through a season without missing time.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Dbrewmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dbrewmsu » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:24 am

kmax wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:19 am
Dbrewmsu wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:03 am
I doubt you find anyone that is gonna debate that. Unfortunately also pretty tough to debate that a QB2 will be needed at some point to back him up considering he has yet to make it through a season without missing time.
Very very true. I'm just saying sometimes that QB2 might be an unexpected surprise

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:57 am

My No. 1 impression from watching spring games each of the last two weeks is that nobody should take Justus Perkins for granted.

He is the only true, pure center playing Division I football in this state. And how good he is gets accentuated when you watch all the other potential centers for both the Cats and the Griz trying to operate.

I agree that the backup QBs looked quite a ways off. But that’s all colored by the offensive line playing in front of them. And that operation starts with the center pre snap, then the snap itself.

Not only is Perkins the best pure center in the Big Sky, he’s also a servant leader, the glue for the entire offense, and he’s absolutely hilarious to boot!

He’s as good a story as the ‘Cats have had the last several years and he’s etched out an incredible career. As a center myself and a center play junky, he’s so good. Enjoy this last year.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:45 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:57 am
My No. 1 impression from watching spring games each of the last two weeks is that nobody should take Justus Perkins for granted.

He is the only true, pure center playing Division I football in this state. And how good he is gets accentuated when you watch all the other potential centers for both the Cats and the Griz trying to operate.

I agree that the backup QBs looked quite a ways off. But that’s all colored by the offensive line playing in front of them. And that operation starts with the center pre snap, then the snap itself.

Not only is Perkins the best pure center in the Big Sky, he’s also a servant leader, the glue for the entire offense, and he’s absolutely hilarious to boot!

He’s as good a story as the ‘Cats have had the last several years and he’s etched out an incredible career. As a center myself and a center play junky, he’s so good. Enjoy this last year.
Servant leader. Great description. I can see him being a coach someday.

toM StUber

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:53 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:45 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:

Servant leader. Great description. I can see him being a coach someday.
How concerned should we be about lack of depth at the center position?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:02 am

I think Reed bailed early on a lot of the plays because he was wearing g the yellow jersey and didn't want to be stopped by the whistle.

It looks like Rohan Jones is the new "Alaskan (Canadian) Assasin" and Hunter Provience is the new "Sunburst Slasher"!

2024 Resume dominance

MountainCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MountainCat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:32 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:

This is a great take Colter, thanks!

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LoggerCat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:37 am

Not sure if it’s been posted anywhere but was just going through the channel guide. A replay of the game will start at noon on SWX if anyone is interested.