Portal Opened again Yesterday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Portal Opened again Yesterday

Post by lutecat » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:02 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:34 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:45 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:14 pm
Unlikely, but maybe Asher Croy wants to come home.

Not a need.
Maybe not, but we have missed that RJ type player. I think he was a back up RB/FB at um.
And did they move him to RB because he wasn't cut out for LB or because he was more needed at RB. Feels like we could use some LB depth.
Colter directly called out in a reply to me that he was a standout in the gris spring game. So maybe he was told LB wasn't an option and RB they didn't see a need too. He just happened to stand out and as a result wanted to explore other opportunities. I don't know. It's all conjecture.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:50 pm
RickRund wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 am
Looks like the gris took a couple of hits in the portal, 3 actually.
Did Junior bolt yet? He's gotta be getting some good $$ thrown his way...
I saw that Lithia Motors gave him a new Jeep so I think he is staying put.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:52 am

After leaving the scrimmage last weekend I really had a good feeling that if we can survive this round of the portal and head into fall ball with everyone healthy and ready to go, this team is going to be really good. I mean, really good!!

Punters are people too!!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:52 am
After leaving the scrimmage last weekend I really had a good feeling that if we can survive this round of the portal and head into fall ball with everyone healthy and ready to go, this team is going to be really good. I mean, really good!!
I agree. I worry about 2 things: Backup QB (Tommy has gone down every year) and kicker. I like Jordan Reed but have no idea if he is ready or not. As far as kickers I am not sure how they get better. We don't even have a true special teams coach. Udy is called special teams coordinator.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Retiredstets333
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Retiredstets333 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:53 am

Udy is and idiot

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:41 am

Retiredstets333 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:53 am
Udy is and idiot
You should check your post prior to making personal attacks.

Not that I disagree, but AND???

It’s only football. It’s not like brain science or rocket surgery.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 am

DMMDCats wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:41 am
Retiredstets333 wrote:
Udy is and idiot

What did Udy do?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:31 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 am
DMMDCats wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:41 am
Retiredstets333 wrote:
Udy is and idiot

What did Udy do?
Yeah, I thought he's done a pretty good job.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:40 am

Don’t ask me, I didn’t and do it.

It’s only football. It’s not like brain science or rocket surgery.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:33 pm

Retiredstets333 wrote:
Udy is and idiot
Tough to discredit when your post appears to have been created by the referenced noun.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:38 pm

With all of this portal-ing around, has academics become a non-issue? Are players vetted for academic fitness, have their transcripts reviewed, register for classes — each time they transfer at a moment’s notice? Transferring between higher education units can/should be a fairly arduous process. The seven-foot player that was with ORU when we played them is moving on to his fourth school!

I remain unconvinced that coursework is being seriously maintained for these athletic employees, as they put their time into high-energy workouts, practice, travel, NIL jobs, eating, social media. I do believe that perhaps MSU and a bastion of FCS schools are still treating these athletes as serious student-athletes — but when an athlete is moving to their fourth or fifth school, perhaps in less years, I don’t see how it’s possible to retain the student part at a significant level. Here’s an idea — recruit only players who are enrolled in engineering, nursing, physics, mathematics, pre-med (and others) — because if they truly want a degree they won’t be transferring five times.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:48 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 am
catatac wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:50 pm
RickRund wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 am
Looks like the gris took a couple of hits in the portal, 3 actually.
Did Junior bolt yet? He's gotta be getting some good $$ thrown his way...
I saw that Lithia Motors gave him a new Jeep so I think he is staying put.
Unless a USC or some big program offers him $500,000 to come and return kicks\punts.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:38 pm
With all of this portal-ing around, has academics become a non-issue? Are players vetted for academic fitness, have their transcripts reviewed, register for classes — each time they transfer at a moment’s notice? Transferring between higher education units can/should be a fairly arduous process. The seven-foot player that was with ORU when we played them is moving on to his fourth school!

I remain unconvinced that coursework is being seriously maintained for these athletic employees, as they put their time into high-energy workouts, practice, travel, NIL jobs, eating, social media. I do believe that perhaps MSU and a bastion of FCS schools are still treating these athletes as serious student-athletes — but when an athlete is moving to their fourth or fifth school, perhaps in less years, I don’t see how it’s possible to retain the student part at a significant level. Here’s an idea — recruit only players who are enrolled in engineering, nursing, physics, mathematics, pre-med (and others) — because if they truly want a degree they won’t be transferring five times.
Go ahead and look at some of the majors of players on the team, or any team. For some guys it seems like academics is a bonus, not a priority (which isn't exclusive to football players or even athletes in general). Plus, I assume that since the guys on the move, at least when it comes to the Bobcats, are out of state guys, they were on scholarship so it's not costing them much to transfer and drag out their graduation timeline. If they are interested in graduating they might have to pay for a year or two once their eligibility runs out but that's still a good deal.

As far as recruiting primarily STEM-type majors, it's a good thought but could lead to a couple things. A) Guys start out in a tough major and then switch to something less intensive after a year or two and B) it becomes harder to recruit top-level FCS/bottom-level FBS players.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:37 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:38 pm

Are players having their transcripts reviewed and registering for classes? Of course they are, just like the thousands of non-athletes who transfer from one college to another every year. It's entirely fair to question the academic commitment of an athlete who's hopping from one school to another every year in the transfer portal, but I'd guess most of those players would be taking their academics equally (un)seriously if they played all four years at one school.

Recruiting only STEM students would be a really bad idea, there are plenty of great degree programs that don't fall into those categories and players shouldn't be excluded from the recruiting pool solely because they want to study Psychology instead of Physics.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:46 am

NCAA rules on eligibility and academics didn't disappear with the addition of the portal.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am

Wonder if the (APR) Academic Progress Report is still a thing ?

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:59 am

RICO CAT wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am
It is, and MSU does very well at it.

https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/aprsearch

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:16 am

MSU01 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:59 am
RICO CAT wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 am
It is, and MSU does very well at it.

https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/aprsearch
MSU's worst team, at 965, is the football team. But that's still the third best football team in the BSC. The national average for football teams is 962...the FCS average is 957.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:20 am

I mean do you really think that teams finding 3 million for a player in NIL are letting a silly thing like grades and APR get in the way?

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:23 am

lutecat wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:20 am
I mean do you really think that teams finding 3 million for a player in NIL are letting a silly thing like grades and APR get in the way?
Not even close. The NCAA is minor leagues now and grades mean absolutely nothing. They say it does and they report like it does, but let’s not kid ourselves. These kids move like we change jobs, no worry about credits transferring over now. It was damn near impossible to get all of your credits to transfer over from a liberal arts school to an engineering school.

If your left, you aren’t right.