Portal Opened again Yesterday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Re: Portal Opened again Yesterday

Post by tetoncat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:12 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:23 am
lutecat wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:20 am
I mean do you really think that teams finding 3 million for a player in NIL are letting a silly thing like grades and APR get in the way?
Not even close. The NCAA is minor leagues now and grades mean absolutely nothing. They say it does and they report like it does, but let’s not kid ourselves. These kids move like we change jobs, no worry about credits transferring over now. It was damn near impossible to get all of your credits to transfer over from a liberal arts school to an engineering school.
Michigan has denied admission the last 2 years to some high profile Grad transfers.

Sports is not bigger than life

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:40 pm

I worry more about a QB2 that can help us win and carry us all the way if Tommy goes down. Kickers will be fine. They do have work to do, but Hall is a freak at kickoffs and punting. You watch the blocked field goal against NDSU, and I’m sorry but o-line got pushed back about 3 yards, hard to blame that one on the kicker. It takes everyone. I do have more faith in our kickers then I do our back up QB’s.

Punters are people too!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:59 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:40 pm
I worry more about a QB2 that can help us win and carry us all the way if Tommy goes down. Kickers will be fine. They do have work to do, but Hall is a freak at kickoffs and punting. You watch the blocked field goal against NDSU, and I’m sorry but o-line got pushed back about 3 yards, hard to blame that one on the kicker. It takes everyone. I do have more faith in our kickers then I do our back up QB’s.
Back up QB is definitely a concern for me this season. Hall is the best at punting and kickoffs.
It was an extra point, not a field goal, and I definitely thought it was kicked too low. I watched the replay many times and there was no push like that at all. I believe the guy who blocked it is 6’8.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:40 pm

Yer high if you don’t think the FG kicker was an issue last season….

I’m absolutely shocked they have not already brought someone in. I thought that would be priority 1, 2 and 3…

FTG- GO CATS GO!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:53 pm

The Cats have two known offers, a kicker and a receiver, currently on the board for 2024. I'm not going to count the guys offered last summer or prior to that since those guys are obviously not coming to the Cats. Anyway, the kicker has offers from FBS programs but the receiver has all FCS offers, right now. Not sure why the Cats are hot for another receiver, even with Anaya leaving, but I'm just an outside observer. Maybe, there are more receivers going into the portal or the Cats aren't happy with what they have on the roster.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:40 pm

I’m absolutely shocked they have not already brought someone in. I thought that would be priority 1, 2 and 3…
I mean how easy do you think it is to find a kicker who you know is going to be good? Maybe it has been their highest priority. Maybe everybody out there looks pretty good, but they had a bad game one time. I mean if a guy made all his kicks at any level, he's going to a bigger program. Basically they have to take a flyer on a kicker, and how do we know that guy is better than Brendan Hall? Hall was 4/4 on FGs and 15/16 on PATs going into the Weber game. He knows how to kick, but obviously something got into his head. They could bring in 50 recruits who know how to kick and look just like Hall in practice. I don't know what the solution is...keep looking, for starters. But maybe there's a kicking coach or camp MSU can send Brendan and Casey to. Or maybe there's a sports psychologist who can help Brendan get over the yips. But Vigen has said it's a priority, and his job might actually depend on it. I don't buy that he's not doing anything about it.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:43 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:53 pm
The Cats have two known offers, a kicker and a receiver, currently on the board for 2024. I'm not going to count the guys offered last summer or prior to that since those guys are obviously not coming to the Cats. Anyway, the kicker has offers from FBS programs but the receiver has all FCS offers, right now. Not sure why the Cats are hot for another receiver, even with Anaya leaving, but I'm just an outside observer. Maybe, there are more receivers going into the portal or the Cats aren't happy with what they have on the roster.
Maybe it's more about the guy than the position. If you think he's Michael Jefferson, don't pass on him because of his position

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 am

GoCats18 wrote:
The ball was kicked into the NDSU guy’s forearm and the line push wasn’t that great.

It was a bad kick by Kautzman but he can learn from it. That wasn’t the line’s fault.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:46 am

PapaG wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 am
GoCats18 wrote:
The ball was kicked into the NDSU guy’s forearm and the line push wasn’t that great.

It was a bad kick by Kautzman but he can learn from it. That wasn’t the line’s fault.

“It was the OL’s fault, they got pushed back too far”…. Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

FTG- GO CATS GO!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

Thanks for posting that. I think I'll go for a long drive now, think about life, and try to find happiness again. lol

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:08 pm

Well, most of you have never attempted a p.a.t or field goal in your life. I did make a typo, it was a p.a.t not a field goal. There is a video that is taken from the side and shows our o-line get pushed back about 3 yards. If you have ever kicked, the ball doesn’t come off your foot and go directly straight up in the air. Blame who you want, but if our o-line does there job and doesn’t allow NDSU to push them off that kick isn’t blocked.

Punters are people too!!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:08 pm
Well, most of you have never attempted a p.a.t or field goal in your life. I did make a typo, it was a p.a.t not a field goal. There is a video that is taken from the side and shows our o-line get pushed back about 3 yards. If you have ever kicked, the ball doesn’t come off your foot and go directly straight up in the air. Blame who you want, but if our o-line does there job and doesn’t allow NDSU to push them off that kick isn’t blocked.

Dude….. last year (the entire season) was the worst kicking display I have ever seen (extra points and FG’s)…. Like at any level of football, ever. I can’t even remember how many FG attempts were shanked about 30 yards to the right…. Was that also the OL fault?

Not trying to rip into these kids…. But it was absolutely the worst I have ever seen, which cost us several games and ultimately the season. To argue otherwise is just silly.

Also- we had like a top 2 or 3 OL in the country last year….. but yeah, it was totally their fault. ](*,)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:02 pm

Do they bring in different linemen for the PAT’s ie special teams?

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:15 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

I mean how easy do you think it is to find a kicker who you know is going to be good? Maybe it has been their highest priority. Maybe everybody out there looks pretty good, but they had a bad game one time. I mean if a guy made all his kicks at any level, he's going to a bigger program. Basically they have to take a flyer on a kicker, and how do we know that guy is better than Brendan Hall? Hall was 4/4 on FGs and 15/16 on PATs going into the Weber game. He knows how to kick, but obviously something got into his head. They could bring in 50 recruits who know how to kick and look just like Hall in practice. I don't know what the solution is...keep looking, for starters. But maybe there's a kicking coach or camp MSU can send Brendan and Casey to. Or maybe there's a sports psychologist who can help Brendan get over the yips. But Vigen has said it's a priority, and his job might actually depend on it. I don't buy that he's not doing anything about it.
I don’t know, I’m sure there are hundreds of kickers out there looking for a new school. Make a list of yer top 10 targets, start at the top with an offer and make yer way down the list…

One thing Choate did which I thought was great- he made a point of recruiting top level kickers/punters out of high school, always a top priority…. Which seemed to work.

All I know is that we CANT have the kickers costing us games again this next year…. Way too much talent on this team (like last year) to see it wasted.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:40 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 pm
GoCats18 wrote:

Dude….. last year (the entire season) was the worst kicking display I have ever seen (extra points and FG’s)…. Like at any level of football, ever. I can’t even remember how many FG attempts were shanked about 30 yards to the right…. Was that also the OL fault?

Not trying to rip into these kids…. But it was absolutely the worst I have ever seen, which cost us several games and ultimately the season. To argue otherwise is just silly.

Also- we had like a top 2 or 3 OL in the country last year….. but yeah, it was totally their fault. ](*,)
All I am talking about is the NDSU one. Yeah, I agree there were missed kicks, just like there were touchdown catches dropped, fumbles, interceptions….all part of the game, all contributed to losing. We can have the best kicker in the country, but without a legit backup QB, our season ends again just like last year.

Punters are people too!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:22 pm

I don't recall if the NDSU coach said it directly, but I seem to recall him alluding to noticing something (low kicks, line pushed back) about MSU's placekicking and therefore he grabbed a 6' 8" senior OL that hardly ever played throughout his career and had him practice with the ST placekicking defense(?) all week prior to the MSU game. That's the guy that blocked the PAT.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:50 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 pm
GoCats18 wrote:

Multiple attempts 30 yards to the right? Exaggerate much?

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:42 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I don’t know, I’m sure there are hundreds of kickers out there looking for a new school. Make a list of yer top 10 targets, start at the top with an offer and make yer way down the list…

One thing Choate did which I thought was great- he made a point of recruiting top level kickers/punters out of high school, always a top priority…. Which seemed to work.

All I know is that we CANT have the kickers costing us games again this next year…. Way too much talent on this team (like last year) to see it wasted.
Yeah that's not super advanced scouting, obviously. So it seems like you're saying Vigen and Co haven't done anything like that. Probably just waiting on the phone to ring? Hoping Hall or Kautzman will just magically figure it out? Vigen has a lot more riding on this than you or I do. Maybe he'll screw it up...but to say he hasn't made it a priority is unrealistic.

I don't disagree one bit that kicking has to improve. To say it's the worst you've ever seen at any level makes me think you haven't watched much. It wasn't good, but it wasn't even the worst in the Big Sky last year. Maybe I'm taking "worst kicking display I have ever seen.....like at any level of football, ever" too literally.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:11 am

Watch the video, the guy that blocks the kick, his arm is at the 5 yard line when he blocks it. Last time I checked, the ball isn’t placed at the 5 yard line. Sorry, but the blocked kick isn’t 100% the kickers fault.

Punters are people too!!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:09 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:42 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Yeah that's not super advanced scouting, obviously. So it seems like you're saying Vigen and Co haven't done anything like that. Probably just waiting on the phone to ring? Hoping Hall or Kautzman will just magically figure it out? Vigen has a lot more riding on this than you or I do. Maybe he'll screw it up...but to say he hasn't made it a priority is unrealistic.

I don't disagree one bit that kicking has to improve. To say it's the worst you've ever seen at any level makes me think you haven't watched much. It wasn't good, but it wasn't even the worst in the Big Sky last year. Maybe I'm taking "worst kicking display I have ever seen.....like at any level of football, ever" too literally.
Our FG percentage last year was 52.6%. Our PAT was 90%. I would be surprised if any Big Sky team was worse than that. I would be surprised if there were a lot of teams in the nation that bad.

In looking at FG% across the nation; the top 118 kickers in the ncaa were above MSU. You had to get to the 119th kicker to match MSU's success.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN