Pro Day

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Pro Day

Post by Cataholic » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:15 pm

Travelingcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:25 pm
My takeaway (not putting on blue and Gold colored glasses) is that there are no obvious NFL guys here. It wasn't like Ty Okada's workout last year that made you stand up and take notice.

Askelson had the best day of anyone-- Chambers and Snell did not help themselves. Askelson's numbers were similar to Callahan O'Reilly's. Askelson was little stronger noticeably faster (and I felt that translated to the field where he would sometimes be a heat-seaking missle), and significantly less good in the jumps. Agility drills were narrowly for Askelson. Overall career productivity was better for O'Reilly.

O'Reilly had a minicamp invite and made a UFL roster this year (though he was inactive in game 1)-- I'd expect that Askelson will get a similar opportunity. At the very least, he showed that the NFL is not a totally unrealistic possibility for him, in terms of his athletic markers.

Callahan O'Reilly:

Bench Press Reps: 24

Vertical Jump: 37.5"

Broad Jump: 10'3"

40-yd Dash: 4.70

Shuttle: 4.41

3-Cone: 7.08
Just curious, but what type of marks did Alex Singleton have coming out of college?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:16 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:19 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:15 pm
Travelingcat wrote:
My takeaway (not putting on blue and Gold colored glasses) is that there are no obvious NFL guys here. It wasn't like Ty Okada's workout last year that made you stand up and take notice.

Askelson had the best day of anyone-- Chambers and Snell did not help themselves. Askelson's numbers were similar to Callahan O'Reilly's. Askelson was little stronger noticeably faster (and I felt that translated to the field where he would sometimes be a heat-seaking missle), and significantly less good in the jumps. Agility drills were narrowly for Askelson. Overall career productivity was better for O'Reilly.

O'Reilly had a minicamp invite and made a UFL roster this year (though he was inactive in game 1)-- I'd expect that Askelson will get a similar opportunity. At the very least, he showed that the NFL is not a totally unrealistic possibility for him, in terms of his athletic markers.

Callahan O'Reilly:

Just curious, but what type of marks did Alex Singleton have coming out of college?

15 reps

31” vert

10’ broad

4.25 and 7.13 in the agilities

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:19 pm

Askelson timed a lot faster than I expected.

Travelingcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Travelingcat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:21 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:19 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

Callahan O'Reilly:

15 reps

31” vert

10’ broad

Singleton is a huge overachiever compared to his physical profile. But that also showed in his career at MSU, including 136 tackles and 15 TFL as a senior, numbers that Askelson didn't come close to. But obviously, would be great to see the same sort of over-achievement from Askelson. His marks weren't outstanding, but they were solid numbers of someone who at least should have a chance to compete for a spot somewhere

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:37 pm

Travelingcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:21 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

Callahan O'Reilly:

15 reps

31” vert

10’ broad

Singleton is a huge overachiever compared to his physical profile. But that also showed in his career at MSU, including 136 tackles and 15 TFL as a senior, numbers that Askelson didn't come close to. But obviously, would be great to see the same sort of over-achievement from Askelson. His marks weren't outstanding, but they were solid numbers of someone who at least should have a chance to compete for a spot somewhere
Singleton is an incredibly instinctive and smart player. He makes up for his physical attributes by moving to the right place before most other players.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:25 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:37 pm
Travelingcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

Callahan O'Reilly:

15 reps

31” vert

10’ broad

Singleton is an incredibly instinctive and smart player. He makes up for his physical attributes by moving to the right place before most other players.
Pet peeve: Football hasn’t been around long enough for any human being to have instincts about it. I understand it’s a term that is used a lot. I’m not sure why people don’t just say intuition. Singleton’s an intuitive player. He uses his eyes and brain (experience) to “decode” plays and essentially attack them.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:06 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:25 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

Callahan O'Reilly:

15 reps

31” vert

10’ broad

Pet peeve: Football hasn’t been around long enough for any human being to have instincts about it. I understand it’s a term that is used a lot. I’m not sure why people don’t just say intuition. Singleton’s an intuitive player. He uses his eyes and brain (experience) to “decode” plays and essentially attack them.
You might be right Tom but I disagree to some extent. I think that both instinct and intuition are involved in the game of football especially your top football players.
Fight or flight are instinctual behaviors which have been used by humans who have been both predators and prey since the beginning of time. Every play in football is all about fight or flight. Defenders are predators to wherever the ball is and who ever has it, while ball handlers are prey desperately trying to outwit, out physical, and avoid the predators. That's why football is as primally stimulating as watching any predator trying to take down any prey. A good example is wolves try to take down an elk and elk trying to avoid the wolves to live another day. You can use the prey-predator animals of your choice.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:48 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:06 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

Callahan O'Reilly:

15 reps

31” vert

10’ broad

You might be right Tom but I disagree to some extent. I think that both instinct and intuition are involved in the game of football especially your top football players.
Fight or flight are instinctual behaviors which have been used by humans who have been both predators and prey since the beginning of time. Every play in football is all about fight or flight. Defenders are predators to wherever the ball is and who ever has it, while ball handlers are prey desperately trying to outwit, out physical, and avoid the predators. That's why football is as primally stimulating as watching any predator trying to take down any prey. A good example is wolves try to take down an elk and elk trying to avoid the wolves to live another day. You can use the prey-predator animals of your choice.

I would have to say Tom Kostabra Identified as a Predator and DB’s were his Prey .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:00 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:48 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

Callahan O'Reilly:

15 reps

31” vert

10’ broad

I would have to say Tom Kostabra Identified as a Predator and DB’s were his Prey .
Same with Isaiah Ifanse. He trucked countless smaller defenders during his time as a Bobcat.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:30 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

Callahan O'Reilly:

15 reps

31” vert

10’ broad

Singleton is also the single best open field tackler we've ever covered, not close, and that skill has translated to the highest level of football. He had more tackles by a large margin in one-on-one situations in the open field than any player in the entire NFL last season. He is an absurdly good, freakish tackler. All of his numbers were secondary to the fact that he has a world-class skill.

And you saw it instantly when he was inserted into his first meaningful game action for MSU when Jody Owens messed up his quad and Singleton had like 3 TFLs right away against Sam Houston State in the playoffs.

It's honestly a shame Singleton played his final few seasons on Bobcat defenses that weren't very good because that impacted his post season awards. He should've been a two-time first-team All-American for sure.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:37 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:48 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:

Ha that's kind of a good point considering how he played more in attack mode than avoid. On the other hand I view his play like that of many horned prey animals who sometimes determine that their best chance of victory or survival is to turn on their predator and gore them. I once saw a video of a bison that turned on a wolf that was chasing it and rolled that wolf big time. Running backs that play with that mind set can be really exciting to watch, Kostrba is one good example. for another, visualize that Nick Lasane run against the Griz.

Thanks for bringing up Tom Kostrba, that is a player I hadn't thought of in a long time.

Edit to add: Yes Ifanse is another perfect example of prey taking it to the predator/defender.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:46 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:09 am

When Singleton was coming out, 4.65 was a fast time for a linebacker

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:17 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

Callahan O'Reilly:

15 reps

31” vert

10’ broad

Instincts, Intuitive, Savvy, High FB IQ, Shrewd....
We all know what we are referring to. Same behavior.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:52 pm

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:47 pm

Is anyone else surprised that Sean's 40 time wasn't better? Man, he torched defenders so many times and looked to be the fastest player on the field at times. Maybe he wasn't 100% on pro day or something.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

OutlanderCatAlum
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by OutlanderCatAlum » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:51 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:30 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:
Singleton is also the single best open field tackler we've ever covered, not close, and that skill has translated to the highest level of football. He had more tackles by a large margin in one-on-one situations in the open field than any player in the entire NFL last season. He is an absurdly good, freakish tackler. All of his numbers were secondary to the fact that he has a world-class skill.

And you saw it instantly when he was inserted into his first meaningful game action for MSU when Jody Owens messed up his quad and Singleton had like 3 TFLs right away against Sam Houston State in the playoffs.

It's honestly a shame Singleton played his final few seasons on Bobcat defenses that weren't very good because that impacted his post season awards. He should've been a two-time first-team All-American for sure.
This.

Many were a bit frustrated by those lackluster defenses Colter is talking about. I know less about the ins and outs of football than anyone on this forum, but even I, as a clueless fan, could see that there was one guy out there consistently making tackles when it seemed others were not.
It was Singleton.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:50 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:47 pm
Is anyone else surprised that Sean's 40 time wasn't better? Man, he torched defenders so many times and looked to be the fastest player on the field at times. Maybe he wasn't 100% on pro day or something.
I might not be remembering well but it seems like a lot of his long runs were the result of truck-sized lanes opened up by the offensive line and by the time the defensive players could get off the blocks he was too far out in front. Always seemed more like a run you over guy rather than a run away from you guy.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:56 pm

Some just take a little longer to get goin'.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."