Tailgate Prices Going Up, Again

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tailgate Prices Going Up, Again

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:57 pm

GoodTimesAllTheTime wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:52 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:45 pm
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:35 pm
It sucks how much prices have risen and the only thing so many on here have to say is that we should be grateful because the Cats are winning. Just because we haven’t reached the apex of what people will pay to capture the most value possible shouldn’t be an excuse to treat the fans poorly. Especially because what ends up happening is the spots are purchased by corporate accounts that may or may not be present. It chips away at the culture, created by the fans, that has made Bobcat football so successful and popular.
More revenue -> more money in the football budget -> more wins -> happier fans
Less revenue -> less money in the football budget -> fewer wins -> angry fans

This board is constantly pounding on the drum of facility improvements and winning national championships. Those aren't going to just materialize out of nowhere. We are smart people and can understand the rationale behind the price increases without necessarily liking or being grateful for them.
It’s a complete fallacy to directly equate budget to winning. How is SMU doing with all their money? Surely they’ve won several titles by now. No one is saying they don’t understand why they are increasing prices, it’s clearly because they feel like they can. I think that, if done consistently, the athletics department risks pricing out casual fans in favor of only those who can afford to pay and that will be detrimental long term to the program and the university.
I wasn't saying that budget is directly equated to winning, but it is 100% true that teams that generate more revenue and spend more money on their football programs tend to have more success than those that spend less. I'd argue that they aren't pricing out casual fans because casual fans don't buy tailgate spots or premium tickets. I see your point and agree completely that at some point the athletic department needs to draw the line between generating additional revenue and going so far that loyal, long-term customers decide to cut off their financial support completely.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:01 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:53 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:51 pm
MSU01 wrote:
It sucks how much prices have risen and the only thing so many on here have to say is that we should be grateful because the Cats are winning. Just because we haven’t reached the apex of what people will pay to capture the most value possible shouldn’t be an excuse to treat the fans poorly. Especially because what ends up happening is the spots are purchased by corporate accounts that may or may not be present. It chips away at the culture, created by the fans, that has made Bobcat football so successful and popular.

This board is constantly pounding on the drum of facility improvements and winning national championships. Those aren't going to just materialize out of nowhere. We are smart people and can understand the rationale behind the price increases without necessarily liking or being grateful for them.
Higher prices didn't lead to more wins last year. We got creamed by our rival, lost our home winning streak, and went 0-1 in the playoffs. Probably not the best off- season to jack up prices of anything, plus ask for donations for the IPF. Maybe 1 thing at a time would work better.

Had we won the natty last year then sure, jack your prices and ask for the IPF donations too.
Small sample sizes are irrelevant. Compare the last decade with the decade before it and the decade before that. No school is going to raise and lower its prices year by year depending on how many playoff games the team wins or if it beats its rival.
I know, I was being a bit facetious with that comment.
But a 200% hike in tailgate prices over 3 years is ridiculous.

Do you have season tickets and a tailgate spot? I'm curious if you do and you're happy to pay more, or you don't have any skin in the game and you're just arguing from a "theoretical" standpoint.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:08 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:01 pm
Do you have season tickets and a tailgate spot? I'm curious if you do and you're happy to pay more, or you don't have any skin in the game and you're just arguing from a "theoretical" standpoint.
Season tickets - yes, and they cost a hell of a lot more than they did back in 2003 when I started buying them. I wouldn't say I'm happy to be paying so much more now than I did then, but I certainly understand why I am and am willing to continue to pay more for a consistently better team on the field.
Tailgate spot - no.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:15 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:57 pm
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:52 pm
MSU01 wrote:

It’s a complete fallacy to directly equate budget to winning. How is SMU doing with all their money? Surely they’ve won several titles by now. No one is saying they don’t understand why they are increasing prices, it’s clearly because they feel like they can. I think that, if done consistently, the athletics department risks pricing out casual fans in favor of only those who can afford to pay and that will be detrimental long term to the program and the university.
I wasn't saying that budget is directly equated to winning, but it is 100% true that teams that generate more revenue and spend more money on their football programs tend to have more success than those that spend less. I'd argue that they aren't pricing out casual fans because casual fans don't buy tailgate spots or premium tickets. I see your point and agree completely that at some point the athletic department needs to draw the line between generating additional revenue and going so far that loyal, long-term customers decide to cut off their financial support completely.
A lot of things aren't priced for the casual consumer any more. Bobcat football has become one of them.

The team has reached the stage where it has achieved sustained success. This has led to an increase in demand for tickets and tailgate spots. When demand exceeds supply, pricing will shift upwards to capture the higher end of the customer base at the expense of the lower end. The biggest problem is that the higher end (whether diehard or casual) isn't rich enough to pay for everything else on top of tickets and tailgates. There are plenty of people that can afford those things but we're still crawling towards the IPF number.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:27 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:43 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:14 pm
Bobcats should go back to having mediocre seasons again so nobody will come to the games and the prices will decrease. :wink:
Well... I'm not a fan of going back to mediocre football... but we did take a step backwards last year and prices are still getting jacked up.
I know, it kind of sucks. I park in the white lot and that used to be free. It’s a nice tailgating area though. We have some friends that all park together and use the grassy area as a free tailgating area.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:36 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:27 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:43 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:14 pm
Bobcats should go back to having mediocre seasons again so nobody will come to the games and the prices will decrease. :wink:
Well... I'm not a fan of going back to mediocre football... but we did take a step backwards last year and prices are still getting jacked up.
I know, it kind of sucks. I park in the white lot and that used to be free. It’s a nice tailgating area though. We have some friends that all park together and use the grassy area as a free tailgating area.
That's a good idea!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:44 pm

I will confirm that tailgate prices on the east side had lagged those of the west side and north of Kagy. While maybe not ALL of the increase the last few years is directly attributed to that, a good portion of it was directly about getting those spots closer in line with what folks were paying in other areas.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:46 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:08 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Season tickets - yes, and they cost a hell of a lot more than they did back in 2003 when I started buying them. I wouldn't say I'm happy to be paying so much more now than I did then, but I certainly understand why I am and am willing to continue to pay more for a consistently better team on the field.
Tailgate spot - no.
Thanks, appreciate that.

I don't mind (and even expect) prices to go up as the team gets better and demand grows. No problem with a gradual increase in prices. My gripe is with the tailgate spots tripling in price over the last 2-3 seasons. Its a little too much too fast in my opinion.

I get it, and I'm coming to the realization that I'm a season or 2 away from being priced out of my tailgate spot. Maybe a few more seasons from being priced out of my tickets altogether. But I don't like it one bit. And MSU won't like it when they replace a few thousand loud screaming fans with corporate sponsored seats holding California transplants who sit quietly and watch a game they don't care about.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:47 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:44 pm
I will confirm that tailgate prices on the east side had lagged those of the west side and north of Kagy. While maybe not ALL of the increase the last few years is directly attributed to that, a good portion of it was directly about getting those spots closer in line with what folks were paying in other areas.
Aren't the west side lots quite a bit larger than the east side?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:52 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:47 pm
kmax wrote:
I don't think they are really that noticeably different in size. In one of your first posts in this thread you said:
Does anyone know the cost of the tailgate spots on the west side of the stadium? Have they always been more and I should shut up? Or did they go way up in price also?
I was just trying to confirm that yes, at least some significant portion of increases seen on the east side was because the other spots were more and they needed to get them in line. But now you want to question price per square foot so I will just bow out.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:59 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:52 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:47 pm
kmax wrote:
I don't think they are really that noticeably different in size. In one of your first posts in this thread you said:
Does anyone know the cost of the tailgate spots on the west side of the stadium? Have they always been more and I should shut up? Or did they go way up in price also?
I was just trying to confirm that yes, at least some significant portion of increases seen on the east side was because the other spots were more and they needed to get them in line. But now you want to question price per square foot so I will just bow out.
😆 its just a question brother. I've only been on the other side once or twice and it seemed like those spots were large. But it's been 10 years or so.
But since you mentioned it, yes I do think larger spots should cost more.

I do appreciate your info that the west side has generally been higher priced, that does answer one of my concerns. Thanks.
Last edited by 91catAlum on Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 110010110 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:06 pm

The last 3 years I renewed my season tickets I asked to also get a tailgate spot and I am always told there are none available because they all were renewed. Clearly the demand is there. Maybe with the price increase I will finally be able to get one this year.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:15 pm

110010110 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:06 pm
The last 3 years I renewed my season tickets I asked to also get a tailgate spot and I am always told there are none available because they all were renewed. Clearly the demand is there. Maybe with the price increase I will finally be able to get one this year.
Casey used to tell me (8 years ago) that there was a waiting list for spots back then but most times he called the next person in line they declined. People like being on the waiting list but often bow out when their number is called. And that was when they were $200.
So even if you're a ways down the list, yes you do have a good chance to get one now that they are $600.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:16 pm

MSU01 wrote:

Agreed to a point. But increasing these at same time as trying to raise final funds for IPF does seem a little odd.

Sports is not bigger than life

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:24 pm

kmax wrote:
What other areas? Are we talking our conference? Not true for Weber, Isu. Northern Colorado or Portland . Eastern sells out, Sac has gotten pretty big.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:18 pm

If anyone wants to give up there spot let me know. You can transfer tailgates to people. I lost my spot by foolishly trusting the wrong person. Long story I don't want to get into. But I would take on a tailgate spot from someone.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:36 pm

The game day parking over at the nearby business park went up from $10 to $20 per game last year. They still sold out for the big games. Some space available for the less attractive games. And that was after a 100% increase as well. I really don’t see price gouging. It seems like a reasonable business decision based on supply and demand. If too expensive for me, I find another location to park.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:19 am

Nobody likes paying increased prices for anything. But, I look at this in terms of Bobcat Athletics as a whole. Everything is more expensive now; food (when traveling but also the food the athletes get everyday at the fueling station, fuel, airlines, hotels, etc. Every time MSU releases their fiscal reports, they are barely staying afloat. Tailgate spots is another way for MSU to raise money to cover all expenses related to MSU athletics.

Hating the griz since 02.

Au Blue
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Au Blue » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:10 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:46 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:08 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tailgate spot - no.
Thanks, appreciate that.

I don't mind (and even expect) prices to go up as the team gets better and demand grows. No problem with a gradual increase in prices. My gripe is with the tailgate spots tripling in price over the last 2-3 seasons. Its a little too much too fast in my opinion.

I get it, and I'm coming to the realization that I'm a season or 2 away from being priced out of my tailgate spot. Maybe a few more seasons from being priced out of my tickets altogether. But I don't like it one bit. And MSU won't like it when they replace a few thousand loud screaming fans with corporate sponsored seats holding California transplants who sit quietly and watch a game they don't care about.
I'm holding on to my endzone season tickets until my boys graduate in a couple of years then I'm done. There's a cost vs. value tipping point for me, and I suspect a lot of other long time fans. Will suck to give up tickets after having them in section 113 for 12 years and the endzone since the renovation, but I know there are plenty of people willing to fill in. So, it's time to pass the torch I suppose...

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 am

I was expecting an increase so I didn't care about that much.

However, I've been anxious about where my parking spots will be this year. I have had the same two spots in the gold lot for over 20 years. They're in the 2nd row right next to the stadium. It is a more than convenient location. I won't mind a slight move if need me, but I won't be happy if I'm no where near that same area. First world problems I know. But I had a few games this year where I had things going on in the morning and was running really late. Nothing better than pulling in my spot, and can be in my seats 5 minutes later!

I really hope there isn't major change in regards to the location of our spots from previous years.