Tailgate Prices Going Up, Again

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Tailgate Prices Going Up, Again

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:07 pm

<<I'm going to complain about consecutive price increases on the east side blue lot tailgate spots. If you don't want to hear it, feel free to move to the next thread.>>

Just called to renew my season tix and pay for my east-side tailgate spot. Paid for our tickets and Bobcat Club dues, and then transferred over to the Bobcat Club who said I can't renew our tailgate spot yet because they are all changing due to the parking lot being paved. They will contact us in late April about our tailgate spots. She said I'm still guaranteed a spot but it might not be in the same place. Also - the price is going up from $400 to $600.

It was just 1 year ago (maybe 2?) that the tailgate spots doubled from $200 to $400. Now they are $600. That's 200% inflation over just 2-3 years. Is it just me, or does this seem like kind of a steep increase in a very short period of time, especially given that the cost of season tickets also increased in that same timeframe??

So - instead of donating $100 to the IPF, I'll be paying an extra 200 for our tailgate spot. This increase puts my total cost, for 6 home football games, at just shy of $2000.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tailgate Prices Going Up, Again

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:43 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:07 pm
<<I'm going to complain about consecutive price increases on the east side blue lot tailgate spots. If you don't want to hear it, feel free to move to the next thread.>>

Just called to renew my season tix and pay for my east-side tailgate spot. Paid for our tickets and Bobcat Club dues, and then transferred over to the Bobcat Club who said I can't renew our tailgate spot yet because they are all changing due to the parking lot being paved. They will contact us in late April about our tailgate spots. She said I'm still guaranteed a spot but it might not be in the same place. Also - the price is going up from $400 to $600.

It was just 1 year ago (maybe 2?) that the tailgate spots doubled from $200 to $400. Now they are $600. That's 200% inflation over just 2-3 years. Is it just me, or does this seem like kind of a steep increase in a very short period of time, especially given that the cost of season tickets also increased in that same timeframe??

So - instead of donating $100 to the IPF, I'll be paying an extra 200 for our tailgate spot. This increase puts my total cost, for 6 home football games, at just shy of $2000.
So you'll likely be at $3,000 by year's end with 3 hope playoff games. That's why I have been skipping a couple early season home games lately, especially if I'm pretty sure they're gonna be snoozers.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:20 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:43 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:07 pm

So you'll likely be at $3,000 by year's end with 3 hope playoff games. That's why I have been skipping a couple early season home games lately, especially if I'm pretty sure they're gonna be snoozers.
Maybe, ya. But last year was 1 and done.

Just seems a bit excessive to charge $100 per game for a tailgate spot.

Does anyone know the cost of the tailgate spots on the west side of the stadium? Have they always been more and I should shut up? Or did they go way up in price also?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:47 pm

Maybe the price was too low before?? What are tailgate spots at other places? Some landlords keep their prices really low for years then raise dramatically when they realize how low they were.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

19Cat57
New Recruit

Post by 19Cat57 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:01 pm

Also probably has a lot to do with supply and demand.
More people wanting a spot then are available. I see 2 answers to this problem
1-Create more tailgate spots. Don't think this is going to happen.
2- Have 3-4 loosing seasons. I think I would rather pay a little more and keep winning.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:03 pm

I had a wise ass comment about the cost of everything (groceries, insurance, lodging, health care) going up, but I deleted it. Quite frankly, why would tailgate spots be excluded? They just spent a hundred thousand+ in improvements so why wouldn’t the spots go up? And the spots are in high demand. If 33% don’t renew, they still collect the same amount of revenue.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:14 pm

Bobcats should go back to having mediocre seasons again so nobody will come to the games and the prices will decrease. :wink:

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:03 pm
I had a wise ass comment about the cost of everything (groceries, insurance, lodging, health care) going up, but I deleted it. Quite frankly, why would tailgate spots be excluded? They just spent a hundred thousand+ in improvements so why wouldn’t the spots go up? And the spots are in high demand. If 33% don’t renew, they still collect the same amount of revenue.
If 33% don't renew, they'll still collect more revenue because there are almost certainly new customers who will buy those spots at the increased price. The cost of success is high!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:22 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
If 33% don't renew, they'll still collect more revenue because there are almost certainly new customers who will buy those spots at the increased price. The cost of success is high!
You will want to check your math on that.

100 x $400 = $40,000
66 x $600 = $39,600.

Basically the same with 33% not renewing.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:27 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:22 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

100 x $400 = $40,000
66 x $600 = $39,600.

What I'm saying is that there's a lot of excess demand for MSU football right now, so the 34 spots that aren't renewed by people who don't want to pay $600 will instead be bought by new customers who are willing to pay. So they'll still sell all 100 spots and will make $60,000 instead of $40,000.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:32 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:27 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:22 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

100 x $400 = $40,000
66 x $600 = $39,600.

What I'm saying is that there's a lot of excess demand for MSU football right now, so the 34 spots that aren't renewed by people who don't want to pay $600 will instead be bought by new customers who are willing to pay. So they'll still sell all 100 spots and will make $60,000 instead of $40,000.
Gotcha. Sounds like a smart business decision to me.

GoodTimesAllTheTime
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GoodTimesAllTheTime » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:35 pm

It sucks how much prices have risen and the only thing so many on here have to say is that we should be grateful because the Cats are winning. Just because we haven’t reached the apex of what people will pay to capture the most value possible shouldn’t be an excuse to treat the fans poorly. Especially because what ends up happening is the spots are purchased by corporate accounts that may or may not be present. It chips away at the culture, created by the fans, that has made Bobcat football so successful and popular.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:40 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:47 pm
Maybe the price was too low before?? What are tailgate spots at other places? Some landlords keep their prices really low for years then raise dramatically when they realize how low they were.
At $200 per season a few years ago I would agree that was a bargain. Once they doubled last year (or maybe it was 2022), I'd say that was about right, maybe. Now at $100 per game it seems more like gouging. But I did just get the news today so I could just be emotionally reacting right now.
Last edited by 91catAlum on Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:41 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:47 pm
Is there such a thing as tailgates at Weber St? And Idaho State probably pays people for their tailgate spot.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:43 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:14 pm
Bobcats should go back to having mediocre seasons again so nobody will come to the games and the prices will decrease. :wink:
Well... I'm not a fan of going back to mediocre football... but we did take a step backwards last year and prices are still getting jacked up.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:45 pm

GoodTimesAllTheTime wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:35 pm
It sucks how much prices have risen and the only thing so many on here have to say is that we should be grateful because the Cats are winning. Just because we haven’t reached the apex of what people will pay to capture the most value possible shouldn’t be an excuse to treat the fans poorly. Especially because what ends up happening is the spots are purchased by corporate accounts that may or may not be present. It chips away at the culture, created by the fans, that has made Bobcat football so successful and popular.
More revenue -> more money in the football budget -> more wins -> happier fans
Less revenue -> less money in the football budget -> fewer wins -> angry fans

This board is constantly pounding on the drum of facility improvements and winning national championships. Those aren't going to just materialize out of nowhere. We are smart people and can understand the rationale behind the price increases without necessarily liking or being grateful for them.

InMcGheeWeTrust
New Recruit

Post by InMcGheeWeTrust » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:47 pm

I am more than happy to pay a little more for paved lots! I think we're burying the lead here.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:51 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:45 pm

This board is constantly pounding on the drum of facility improvements and winning national championships. Those aren't going to just materialize out of nowhere. We are smart people and can understand the rationale behind the price increases without necessarily liking or being grateful for them.
Higher prices didn't lead to more wins last year. We got creamed by our rival, lost our home winning streak, and went 0-1 in the playoffs. Probably not the best off- season to jack up prices of anything, plus ask for donations for the IPF. Maybe 1 thing at a time would work better.

Had we won the natty last year then sure, jack your prices and ask for the IPF donations too.

GoodTimesAllTheTime
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GoodTimesAllTheTime » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:52 pm

MSU01 wrote:

It’s a complete fallacy to directly equate budget to winning. How is SMU doing with all their money? Surely they’ve won several titles by now. No one is saying they don’t understand why they are increasing prices, it’s clearly because they feel like they can. I think that, if done consistently, the athletics department risks pricing out casual fans in favor of only those who can afford to pay and that will be detrimental long term to the program and the university.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:53 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:51 pm
MSU01 wrote:

Higher prices didn't lead to more wins last year. We got creamed by our rival, lost our home winning streak, and went 0-1 in the playoffs. Probably not the best off- season to jack up prices of anything, plus ask for donations for the IPF. Maybe 1 thing at a time would work better.

Had we won the natty last year then sure, jack your prices and ask for the IPF donations too.
Small sample sizes are irrelevant. Compare the last decade with the decade before it and the decade before that. No school is going to raise and lower its prices year by year depending on how many playoff games the team wins or if it beats its rival.