Off Season random stuff 2024

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

cat-o-nine
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Off Season random stuff 2024

Post by cat-o-nine » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:22 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:37 am
cat-o-nine wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:26 am
Meanwhile, some crazy good Spring enrollment numbers announced:

https://www.ktvq.com/news/local-news/mo ... ime-record
Given the low vacancy, and high cost of living in Bozeman, at what point should a university start having higher requirements to artificially lower attendance?

I know it’s not all on MSU, but I just wonder how much give and take there should be between city and university. They really do need to work in union together.
Definitely have some mixed feelings about these enrollment numbers for just that reason. I have no idea what the solution is, but there currently doesn't seem to be an end in sight yet for the demand for real estate in the Gallatin Valley. I attended MSU in the 80's and can't imagine paying the rents the current students have to fork out. This is becoming a pressure cooker with both inside and outside pressure. The demand for student housing vs. the demand for real estate in general by new-comers vs. the controls placed on development by the local governments is driving the prices of off-campus student housing to increasingly higher numbers.
Then, throw in the astronomical increases in property tax assessments for landlords and homeowners on top of that, caused by the demand. It's a snowball getting bigger every year. I'm not saying I'm in favor of more development or zoning changes to allow it, but this is all part of the conundrum.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:35 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:

Given the low vacancy, and high cost of living in Bozeman, at what point should a university start having higher requirements to artificially lower attendance?

I know it’s not all on MSU, but I just wonder how much give and take there should be between city and university. They really do need to work in union together.
MSU is a business. It's not going to send away customers. It also won't be pressured to. It's run by, and employs, government workers and it's business is schooling. Those two things combined means nobody is going to pressure them to slow down, even in Montana. Bozeman's COL hasn't been a deterrent so far so I doubt it will ever be one. Do student loans also cover living expenses? I assume that would be MSU and Bozeman's unofficial answer.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:53 am

cat-o-nine wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:22 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:

Definitely have some mixed feelings about these enrollment numbers for just that reason. I have no idea what the solution is, but there currently doesn't seem to be an end in sight yet for the demand for real estate in the Gallatin Valley. I attended MSU in the 80's and can't imagine paying the rents the current students have to fork out. This is becoming a pressure cooker with both inside and outside pressure. The demand for student housing vs. the demand for real estate in general by new-comers vs. the controls placed on development by the local governments is driving the prices of off-campus student housing to increasingly higher numbers.
Then, throw in the astronomical increases in property tax assessments for landlords and homeowners on top of that, caused by the demand. It's a snowball getting bigger every year. I'm not saying I'm in favor of more development or zoning changes to allow it, but this is all part of the conundrum.
I've said this for years, and I know it's probably too late now but what we should have done is put a HUGE tax on any out of staters buying property in and around Bozeman (probably anywhere in MT for that matter), and part of that money could go to assisting students with housing or whatever.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:13 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:53 am
cat-o-nine wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:

I've said this for years, and I know it's probably too late now but what we should have done is put a HUGE tax on any out of staters buying property in and around Bozeman (probably anywhere in MT for that matter), and part of that money could go to assisting students with housing or whatever.
Bozeman should implement a resort tax that locals and college students are exempt from.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:13 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:13 am
catatac wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:

Bozeman should implement a resort tax that locals and college students are exempt from.
How easy is it to define "locals"? If a student moves to MT they become an in-state student after a year (might have to not be enrolled for a year to qualify, I don't remember). Wouldn't the same apply to an out of state purchaser of property? Big hit in year one and then they get the locals rate? You could say there would be a residency/days in use requirement but I doubt that would be difficult to get around when the incentive is significant.

People can want Bozeman to be like it was when they were in school (no matter when that was) and deal with continually skyrocketing prices, or they can face the reality of non-stop growing demand and support incentives for construction. I wish Bozeman was the size it used to be too but today it's actually too small (which has been the case for decades).

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:48 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:13 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
catatac wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:

How easy is it to define "locals"? If a student moves to MT they become an in-state student after a year (might have to not be enrolled for a year to qualify, I don't remember). Wouldn't the same apply to an out of state purchaser of property? Big hit in year one and then they get the locals rate? You could say there would be a residency/days in use requirement but I doubt that would be difficult to get around when the incentive is significant.

People can want Bozeman to be like it was when they were in school (no matter when that was) and deal with continually skyrocketing prices, or they can face the reality of non-stop growing demand and support incentives for construction. I wish Bozeman was the size it used to be too but today it's actually too small (which has been the case for decades).
The post above your reply isn't how resort taxes actually work. They're generally assessed only to services like hotels that tourists or out-of-state people primarily use instead of locals, but nobody is exempt from paying the tax if they use a service it's applied to.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:40 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:48 pm
coloradocat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
catatac wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:

The post above your reply isn't how resort taxes actually work. They're generally assessed only to services like hotels that tourists or out-of-state people primarily use instead of locals, but nobody is exempt from paying the tax if they use a service it's applied to.
The post above that one talks about taxes on buy property. Now maybe that's just on the actual purchase, but then buyers could probably get around that with some kind of rental for a couple months to establish residency.

The problem with true resort taxes is that they likely wouldn't fix the student housing issue. How would something like that be distributed? The most likely answer is to landlords via property tax rebates (because they are the ones that vote and also may be in government) in the hopes that they pass along the savings to renters. If instead the tax money was distributed directly to students the government would have to set up some kind of grant system where renters proved college enrollment and lease agreements. Even then, landlords would probably raise rents by slightly less than 100% of the grant amounts and students would still be "saving" money.

Doesn't Bozeman already have a resort/bed tax? I suppose they could increase it and also institute a local sales tax and try to get Helena to go along with an income tax deduction/credit for "locals".

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:46 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:40 pm
MSU01 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
catatac wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:

The post above that one talks about taxes on buy property. Now maybe that's just on the actual purchase, but then buyers could probably get around that with some kind of rental for a couple months to establish residency.

The problem with true resort taxes is that they likely wouldn't fix the student housing issue. How would something like that be distributed? The most likely answer is to landlords via property tax rebates (because they are the ones that vote and also may be in government) in the hopes that they pass along the savings to renters. If instead the tax money was distributed directly to students the government would have to set up some kind of grant system where renters proved college enrollment and lease agreements. Even then, landlords would probably raise rents by slightly less than 100% of the grant amounts and students would still be "saving" money.

Doesn't Bozeman already have a resort/bed tax? I suppose they could increase it and also institute a local sales tax and try to get Helena to go along with an income tax deduction/credit for "locals".
Resort Tax was probably bad wording. Your last paragraph with a local sales tax was more of what I was envisioning, could be like Washington used to do, could show your license and the tax is waived.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:35 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:46 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:40 pm
MSU01 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
catatac wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
cat-o-nine wrote:

Resort Tax was probably bad wording. Your last paragraph with a local sales tax was more of what I was envisioning, could be like Washington used to do, could show your license and the tax is waived.
Whitefish has a resort tax, which is just a sales tax, and applied like one. They can't waive it for locals. Pretty sure Columbia Falls just instituted a resort tax too. Most people in WF like the tax, and I would too if I didn't hate going to that town. Make tourists pay for something. I don't think we're doing a good enough job of that as a state.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:42 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:01 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:42 pm
That was a fun article. Anything about DeNarius is going to be a good read. But it was nice to have some quotes from Ash in there. We haven't heard much from him in the past 8 years or so.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:17 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:01 am
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:42 pm
That was a fun article. Anything about DeNarius is going to be a good read. But it was nice to have some quotes from Ash in there. We haven't heard much from him in the past 8 years or so.
Ash was in Bozeman for the Hall of Fame ceremony last year.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:50 pm

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:35 pm

I talked to Casey Bauman's agent at the gym tonight. Casey is going to Denver this week for a workout.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:15 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:35 pm
I talked to Casey Bauman's agent at the gym tonight. Casey is going to Denver this week for a workout.
Another tall kid with Montana ties headed for Denver

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:51 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:50 pm
CONGRATULATIONS DeNarius McGhee!!!

Another news release ….

https://www.montanasports.com/more-spor ... hing-staff

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:04 pm

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:30 pm

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:57 am

MSU's version would just be the Grebe brothers having a dunk and 3-point shooting competition.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:31 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:57 am

MSU's version would just be the Grebe brothers having a dunk and 3-point shooting competition.
:shock:
Damn...a couple of those were serious dunks.....

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay