Old scoreboard

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

damnyoutuesday
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Old scoreboard

Post by damnyoutuesday » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:57 pm
I've been in the stadium and all around with this thing up. I think we're going to be impressed, obviously, by the board inside the stadium. But I think we'll be surprised how much it changes the whole look of the stadium from the outside. It's a giant, imposing sign, basically.
I think it will make the stadium a little more intimidating for fans and players from smaller schools

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

damnyoutuesday wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
I've been in the stadium and all around with this thing up. I think we're going to be impressed, obviously, by the board inside the stadium. But I think we'll be surprised how much it changes the whole look of the stadium from the outside. It's a giant, imposing sign, basically.
I think it will make the stadium a little more intimidating for fans and players from smaller schools
Smaller schools like that one over the divide? :lol:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
It's a pretty big change, nothing like the end zone project obviously, but definitely a noticeable difference. I believe that it will be a few feet longer once the ends are capped. ??? The opposite EZ scoreboard is slightly bigger than the old one. It has an old school feel to it that I like.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 pm

I wasn't sure about the spring scrimmage but if it'll be ready by then....it's going to be a must show up for.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:17 pm

coachouert wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:56 pm

Not the best pictures as I can't be real close to the back and still see it, but here's the progress on the backside. Still a ways to go.
Thanks!

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:21 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
It's a pretty big change, nothing like the end zone project obviously, but definitely a noticeable difference. I believe that it will be a few feet longer once the ends are capped. ??? The opposite EZ scoreboard is slightly bigger than the old one. It has an old school feel to it that I like.
Is the South EZ score board fixed digit like the old one?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:41 pm

rfischer94 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:21 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:

Yes
Last edited by AFCAT on Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:17 pm

rfischer94 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
This is probably a really dumb question, but what do you mean by "fixed digit"?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:29 pm

John K wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:17 pm
rfischer94 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
This is probably a really dumb question, but what do you mean by "fixed digit"?
Essentially a traditional digital scoreboard where all the information (score, quarter, timeouts, etc) are in a fixed position with digital number display. As opposed to a video board or full digital display that can show any type of information in different ways.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:27 am

I’m not sure how much would need to change structurally, but has there ever been discussion of a video/message panel that wraps around the railing of the stadium? Maybe not ‘on’ the railing but maybe at the base of it. I’m not sure how else to describe it but we’ve all seen it in multiple venue types. Basketball, hockey, baseball, and football.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:20 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:27 am
I’m not sure how much would need to change structurally, but has there ever been discussion of a video/message panel that wraps around the railing of the stadium? Maybe not ‘on’ the railing but maybe at the base of it. I’m not sure how else to describe it but we’ve all seen it in multiple venue types. Basketball, hockey, baseball, and football.
They have some at the other stadium in state that houses the bad guys.

With how our stadium is set up they'd have to go on the top of the east side bleachers maybe?

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:53 am

lutecat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:20 am
94VegasCat wrote:

With how our stadium is set up they'd have to go on the top of the east side bleachers maybe?
east side? like putting lipstick on a pig. nah.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:54 am

lutecat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:

Yeah, I think it's called an LED ribbon display. Not a ton of places to put them, you're right. You tend to see them at the bottom of an upper deck. SDSU doesn't even have any I'm pretty sure, with Daktronics right in their backyard.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:24 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:53 am
lutecat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:

Hey! Us Eastsiders don’t appreciate you disparaging our home, capisce. Yeah, we ain’t as nice as you Westsiders with your fancy schmancy press box, Stadium Club, and beer garden. We don’t get to sit up as high and mighty like the Southsiders do with those 5-star eating establishments under the stands serving Turkey legs. Us Eastsiders are proud though, we sit in the oldest part of the stadium, the only seats that have been around for two national championship teams and bathroom lines so long you might get to see the second half, if you are lucky. Yeah, our area has rust spots and no hand rails, but that makes us tough. We like risking our lives in the wintertime climbing those icy steps to our seats. Show our stands some respect!

Got it!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:42 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:54 am
lutecat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:

Yeah, I think it's called an LED ribbon display. Not a ton of places to put them, you're right. You tend to see them at the bottom of an upper deck. SDSU doesn't even have any I'm pretty sure, with Daktronics right in their backyard.
I don't recall seeing one at SDSU, I think those light strips are largely used for advertising, just what I have seen by getting short glimpses of them on TV.
Personally I am not a fan of them, but if Learfield wants to put one up somewhere, I'm fine with it, but I sure wouldn't contribute.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:46 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:24 am
Montanabob wrote:
lutecat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:

Hey! Us Eastsiders don’t appreciate you disparaging our home, capisce. Yeah, we ain’t as nice as you Westsiders with your fancy schmancy press box, Stadium Club, and beer garden. We don’t get to sit up as high and mighty like the Southsiders do with those 5-star eating establishments under the stands serving Turkey legs. Us Eastsiders are proud though, we sit in the oldest part of the stadium, the only seats that have been around for two national championship teams and bathroom lines so long you might get to see the second half, if you are lucky. Yeah, our area has rust spots and no hand rails, but that makes us tough. We like risking our lives in the wintertime climbing those icy steps to our seats. Show our stands some respect!

Got it!

As an Eastsider, I approve this message.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:06 am

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:42 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
lutecat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:

I don't recall seeing one at SDSU, I think those light strips are largely used for advertising, just what I have seen by getting short glimpses of them on TV.
Personally I am not a fan of them, but if Learfield wants to put one up somewhere, I'm fine with it, but I sure wouldn't contribute.
This is my thinking too. It's not difficult to see the score and game clock from any seats in the stadium. No need for additional flashy advertising when a large portion of the new video board will already be dedicated to that.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:23 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:06 am
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:42 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
lutecat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:

This is my thinking too. It's not difficult to see the score and game clock from any seats in the stadium. No need for additional flashy advertising when a large portion of the new video board will already be dedicated to that.
Those strip boards are cool and another way to increase revenue. However, Bobcat Stadium is not even remotely set up to have one. Any installation of a strip board would look horrible.

Hating the griz since 02.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:36 am

AFCAT wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
lutecat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:

Got it!

Awesome stuff!

And I’d hate to see the strip video thingy. Call me a ‘boomer’ all you want. Would love to change the goal posts though … back to the dual post style that is!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:05 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:36 am
AFCAT wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
lutecat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:

Got it!

Awesome stuff!

And I’d hate to see the strip video thingy. Call me a ‘boomer’ all you want. Would love to change the goal posts though … back to the dual post style that is!
I know plenty of kids growing up that got tougher by eating the lead paint chips flaking off the East grandstands.

We need to go back to dual wooden, two by four, goal posts that were placed on the goal line and players need to suffer the consequences of running into them, instead of this weak sauce, pot metal, padded single posts they put safely on the end line.