Housewright to Akron

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Housewright to Akron

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:06 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:33 am
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:10 am
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:02 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:23 pm
gtapp wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:23 pm
This is why this is not a promotion:

Akron Attendance:

2018-2022 Attendance Average: 11,606.00
5-Year Filled Stadium Capacity 38.69%
2022 Average Attendance: 11,199
2022 Filled Stadium Capacity 37.33%
Now I've never been in the college coaching ranks but what you sited there wouldn't make the top 5 on my list of attributes that I'd look at in deciding if a potential new school would be a promotion and a good career move for me. I won't bother listing out my top 5 or more things I think are more important for any coach to look at. Personally once I did finally get down to looking at the fan attendance and capacity utilization % numbers at Akron I might say great there's lots of room for improvement on those numbers. One thing that can quickly draw in more fans is a dynamic offense that creates more wins, and it's not unreasonable to think that Housewright can deliver dynamic offense and more wins at Akron.

Good luck coach Housewright and for the sake of yourself, your family, and your career take this opportunity to conduct yourself in a more mature and responsible way in all you do.
Akron is a terrible program. 2-10 in 2023, 2022 and 2021. 0-12 in 2019. And a 4-8 program in 2018.
Yeah that's a terrible win/loss record. So what! Immediately his paycheck is substantially bigger, his resume will now show that he's been an OC at the FBS level. If Akron's offensive numbers improve and their w/l record improves in the coming years that'll be a plus on his resume as well, and if their record remains unchanged it doesn't have to mean the end of his career. The OC who presided over the past few years of losing seasons is reportedly headed to UCLA as QB coach. The Akron OC that left in 2018 spent this year as a co-offensive coordinator coach with the Texas Longhorns. It would appear that being the OC at Akron isn't a dead-end career killer position. Becoming the OC at Akron wouldn't be the biggest and best step up and forward for every OC from MSU but maybe it's the best offer and situation available to Housewright.
I admit I no longer follow college athletics as I once did. I appreciate your frequent factoids and persuasive facts and data. It's really hilarious to go back and read the comments about Messingham's play calling while at MSU, then look at his record at NDSU utilizing the same play calling. Even at KSU.

Do you think the OL will get to the same level as the Dakota schools? I'm a great believer in the beef capable of running the A-Gap Power. Just curious as to your thoughts.
That's a question better handled by the likes of Vim and many other posters but yeah I like big physical athletic lines. Coach Gregorak had a great line about mass and linemen that I wish I could remember completely, it was a classic Gregorak quote. Hopefully some one remembers it and can post it.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

CatFanatic
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CatFanatic » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:02 pm

Mass Kicks Ass.

Guck the Frizz

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:31 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:17 am
tetoncat wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:00 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:52 am
MTnative wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:46 am
I’ve heard of failing upward, but is this failing sideways?

Akron of all places, just strange. Either way, this needed to happen. A big opportunity to start new and GET THE TIGHT ENDS INVOLVED in the passing game more.
Joe Moorhead is the HC of Akron and Joe is Housewright's mentor for the past decade. Makes a lot of sense from that angle.
And Housewright is from Ohio.
And likely a lot more money.

Sports are so funny. Has to be the only profession I can think of where a guy leaves for an opportunity he feels is better for himself and his family, he can make more money doing something he loves, and random people will talk about what a crazy move it is. :-k
AND....a lot of people didn't like him here. AND....he's in legal trouble here that won't be as public if he's in Ohio. Right or wrong, fair or not, you have to think he and his family have heard some bad things said about him in Montana. I'd be sprinting out of here at the first decent opportunity, lateral move or not. This seems like a no-brainer for him.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:32 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Akron Attendance:

Now I've never been in the college coaching ranks but what you sited there wouldn't make the top 5 on my list of attributes that I'd look at in deciding if a potential new school would be a promotion and a good career move for me. I won't bother listing out my top 5 or more things I think are more important for any coach to look at. Personally once I did finally get down to looking at the fan attendance and capacity utilization % numbers at Akron I might say great there's lots of room for improvement on those numbers. One thing that can quickly draw in more fans is a dynamic offense that creates more wins, and it's not unreasonable to think that Housewright can deliver dynamic offense and more wins at Akron.

Good luck coach Housewright and for the sake of yourself, your family, and your career take this opportunity to conduct yourself in a more mature and responsible way in all you do.
Akron is a terrible program. 2-10 in 2023, 2022 and 2021. 0-12 in 2019. And a 4-8 program in 2018.
Yeah that's a terrible win/loss record. So what! Immediately his paycheck is substantially bigger, his resume will now show that he's been an OC at the FBS level. If Akron's offensive numbers improve and their w/l record improves in the coming years that'll be a plus on his resume as well, and if their record remains unchanged it doesn't have to mean the end of his career. The OC who presided over the past few years of losing seasons is reportedly headed to UCLA as QB coach. The Akron OC that left in 2018 spent this year as a co-offensive coordinator coach with the Texas Longhorns. It would appear that being the OC at Akron isn't a dead-end career killer position. Becoming the OC at Akron wouldn't be the biggest and best step up and forward for every OC from MSU but maybe it's the best offer and situation available to Housewright.
I didn’t say that it was a terrible move. I just said that it is a terrible program.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:42 pm

Cledus wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:55 pm
=D^ =D^ =D^

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:55 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:30 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:22 pm
catbooster wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:56 pm
Housewright - inexperienced, not in-house because Vigen just got hired
Matt Miller - inexperienced, in-house by Choate
Messingham - lots of experience and from outside by Choate

I'm not sure why this is automatically considered a bad hire by a few of our fans just because he's an in-house hire without OC experience. I'm no expert and don't know the coaches' skills, teaching abilities, relatability to young football players, etc. so I guess I'll just have to trust Vigen's judgment that Walker is the man for the job.

Sometimes it's less stressful to just trust the head coach you've hired to make those decisions instead of second-guessing every decision he makes.
I wouldn't say a bad hire. More like a rushed hire. Even if he's ready for the job it's not like we couldn't do some heavy window shopping first. At the end of the day, Vigen likes him and we're now set at both coordinator positions.
How do you know they havent?
I don't of course. But that scenario includes either a) Vigen knowing he wouldn't be employing Housewright on his staff next year and let him try to find another job so that he could quit rather than be fired, while at the same time Vigen was interviewing candidates behind the scenes and decided none were as good as Walker; or b) Housewright has had this job lined up for a while and the Akron HC said he didn't need to make it public (and bring Housewright in to meet his players and start recruiting new players) until Vigen made a decision on his replacement. Which one of those makes more sense to you than what appears to be Vigen just going with internal continuity over a full search?

As I said, at the end of the day we're set at the big three coaching spots so we can move on to 2024. The seemingly quick decision is all I'm questioning.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:04 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:55 pm
tetoncat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
catbooster wrote:

I'm not sure why this is automatically considered a bad hire by a few of our fans just because he's an in-house hire without OC experience. I'm no expert and don't know the coaches' skills, teaching abilities, relatability to young football players, etc. so I guess I'll just have to trust Vigen's judgment that Walker is the man for the job.

Sometimes it's less stressful to just trust the head coach you've hired to make those decisions instead of second-guessing every decision he makes.
I wouldn't say a bad hire. More like a rushed hire. Even if he's ready for the job it's not like we couldn't do some heavy window shopping first. At the end of the day, Vigen likes him and we're now set at both coordinator positions.
I don't of course. But that scenario includes either a) Vigen knowing he wouldn't be employing Housewright on his staff next year and let him try to find another job so that he could quit rather than be fired, while at the same time Vigen was interviewing candidates behind the scenes and decided none were as good as Walker; or b) Housewright has had this job lined up for a while and the Akron HC said he didn't need to make it public (and bring Housewright in to meet his players and start recruiting new players) until Vigen made a decision on his replacement. Which one of those makes more sense to you than what appears to be Vigen just going with internal continuity over a full search?

As I said, at the end of the day we're set at the big three coaching spots so we can move on to 2024. The seemingly quick decision is all I'm questioning.
What makes most sense is any good good HC is constantly monitoring their staff and also keeping track of connections they have around the country in case openings come up. National meeting this week allowed for follow up if necessary. I would think assistants let head guy know if they were approached or are exploring so likely Vigen had time

Sports is not bigger than life

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:07 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:32 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Akron Attendance:

I didn’t say that it was a terrible move. I just said that it is a terrible program.
Ok sure, I didn't say that you had said it was a terrible move. Look, when the first words in this group of posts is: This is why this is not a promotion: and then you add: Akron is a terrible program, along with showing 5 years of their poor w/l records, you certainly don't come across as suggesting this is a good place for anyone including Housewright to work, it doesn't even hint that you're neutral on the idea either. Sorry if you feel that I've put words in your mouth, perhaps those words were all but in your mouth already and that's on you.
Again I hope that Housewright has success. What I'm most interested in is how well coach Walker does as the Bobcat OC. With 3 years of him working in the program I totally trust that coach Vigen has had an ample amount of time to determine that he's the right person for the OC position.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:27 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:07 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Akron Attendance:

Ok sure, I didn't say that you had said it was a terrible move. Look, when the first words in this group of posts is: This is why this is not a promotion: and then you add: Akron is a terrible program, along with showing 5 years of their poor w/l records, you certainly don't come across as suggesting this is a good place for anyone including Housewright to work, it doesn't even hint that you're neutral on the idea either. Sorry if you feel that I've put words in your mouth, perhaps those words were all but in your mouth already and that's on you.
Again I hope that Housewright has success. What I'm most interested in is how well coach Walker does as the Bobcat OC. With 3 years of him working in the program I totally trust that coach Vigen has had an ample amount of time to determine that he's the right person for the OC position.
Okay…. Not sure why the venom, but it seemed like an interesting fact at the time. Gary simply stated the attendance. I pointed out the current state of the program via success. They are terrible and have a long way to go. You make it sound like he consulted with you before the decision. I really don’t care. Akron is a lower G5 program that probably barely competes in the Mountain West. House made a decision to get closer to home and work with his mentor. Sounds like a good personal move for him, but he is not going to Ohio State. Akron sucks. Sorry if I insulted you somehow. Sheesh.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:14 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:27 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Akron Attendance:

Okay…. Not sure why the venom, but it seemed like an interesting fact at the time. Gary simply stated the attendance. I pointed out the current state of the program via success. They are terrible and have a long way to go. You make it sound like he consulted with you before the decision. I really don’t care. Akron is a lower G5 program that probably barely competes in the Mountain West. House made a decision to get closer to home and work with his mentor. Sounds like a good personal move for him, but he is not going to Ohio State. Akron sucks. Sorry if I insulted you somehow. Sheesh.
Venom? Stop projecting, that's your mode of action not mine. Everyone here has watched you for years on this site try to move things from discussion to argument. You must have enough guys on here already that you routinely get to argue with, go find one of them I'm not interested so I'm out.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:08 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:35 pm
gtapp wrote:

Akron Attendance:

Odd, I would think a promotion is defined by pay and responsibility. So if you moved from a company with $10 million in sales to one with $5 million in sales but more profitable, paid you more and better title, you wouldn't take that because it isn't a promotion
These kind of numbers will correlate to things like pay, facility spending, quality of facilities.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:05 pm

gtapp wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:08 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:35 pm
gtapp wrote:

Akron Attendance:

Odd, I would think a promotion is defined by pay and responsibility. So if you moved from a company with $10 million in sales to one with $5 million in sales but more profitable, paid you more and better title, you wouldn't take that because it isn't a promotion
These kind of numbers will correlate to things like pay, facility spending, quality of facilities.
Sort of, because if conference still has good TV deals pay will still improve from MSU. Facilities might be good from other investments like donations, student fees,.

Sports is not bigger than life

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:57 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:14 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:27 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Akron Attendance:

Venom? Stop projecting, that's your mode of action not mine. Everyone here has watched you for years on this site try to move things from discussion to argument. You must have enough guys on here already that you routinely get to argue with, go find one of them I'm not interested so I'm out.
4uck dude. I just re-read my posts and didn’t say anything false. The only thing you have done to go looking for an argument. Take a look at my posts above and tell me what was so infuriating. I just stated their record and said they suck. And then I commented that the move probably personal sense for House. Not sure what your problem is, but you seem to be looking for an argument.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:09 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:04 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:55 pm
tetoncat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
catbooster wrote:

What makes most sense is any good good HC is constantly monitoring their staff and also keeping track of connections they have around the country in case openings come up. National meeting this week allowed for follow up if necessary. I would think assistants let head guy know if they were approached or are exploring so likely Vigen had time
Choate Mentioned while he was here that he always had at least a couple candidates for every position constantly in case of contingencies

Augustus
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Augustus » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:35 pm

I think he knew he was leaving before the Idaho game.

It certainly explains the pi**-poor play calling to finish out the season. He just didn't care, as he knew he was out of here.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:52 pm

Augustus wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:35 pm

It certainly explains the pi**-poor play calling to finish out the season. He just didn't care, as he knew he was out of here.
This is a dumb take. You want to impress is you’re leaving too.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:18 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Augustus wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:35 pm

This is a dumb take. You want to impress is you’re leaving too.
I'm pretty sure theres a sizable bonus that comes with playoff success. Agree. Dumb take.

Augustus
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Augustus » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:24 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
You want to impress is you’re leaving too.
You first.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:39 am

Augustus wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:24 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
You want to impress is you’re leaving too.
You first.
I think others got it even though I had a typo. I wasn't suggesting you leave. I was saying that even if Housewright knew he was leaving he would still want to make good play calls so that he could impress possible future employers and as onceacat suggested possibly get a bonus for his remaining time here.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:47 pm

Did housewright end up getting hired at Akron? I don’t see his name listed anywhere on their website.