National Championship Postives

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: National Championship Postives

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:30 pm

gris_h8er wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:40 pm
1) gris lost
2) the distance between SDSU and the rest of the FCS is significantly smaller than I thought. They smoked the gris but didn’t out play the gris by as much as I hoped and thought they would’ve.

I think the weight lifting has fallen back since the Choate era but that can be fixed. Call the right plays in Missoula and Moscow and don’t have an empty backfield on 3rd and 1 and this season looks way different.
My brother in Christ...we were a LOOOOOOOONG way from "a few play calls" in Missoula. We didn't get off the bus. We need to accept that.

I'll give you Idaho...we should have won that game.

The Griz were better than us this year. They beat Idaho on the road. They smoked (embarrassed) us in Missoula. We lost a home playoff game to a less-than-great NDSU team. They ran the table.

I don't think we're far away...but we weren't Top 2 this year.
Last edited by CatsNoMatterWhat on Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gris_h8er
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gris_h8er » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:31 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:18 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:35 pm
84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:15 pm
They have 34 seniors, dunno how many still have a year left. I was disheartened to hear that Gronowski has another year if he so chooses.
Gronowski might be the most overrated player in the FCS.
Name an FCS team he could transfer to where he isn't the starter immediately. And let me save it for you: we're not one of them.
You would take gronowski above Tommy? As in the guy I watched get timed with a calendar when he was running today?

Only thing better than watching the gris lose is when the Cats win

gris_h8er
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gris_h8er » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:33 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:30 pm
gris_h8er wrote:
1) gris lost
2) the distance between SDSU and the rest of the FCS is significantly smaller than I thought. They smoked the gris but didn’t out play the gris by as much as I hoped and thought they would’ve.

I think the weight lifting has fallen back since the Choate era but that can be fixed. Call the right plays in Missoula and Moscow and don’t have an empty backfield on 3rd and 1 and this season looks way different.
My brother in Christ...we were a LOOOOOOOONG way from "a few play calls" in Missoula. We didn't get off the bus. We need to accept that.

The Griz were better than us this year. They beat Idaho on the road. They smoked (embarrassed) us in Missoula. We lost a home playoff game to a less-than-great NDSU team. They ran the table.

Cats playing to way below their ability level in Missoula doesn’t make the gris better. And watching how they played today I have a very hard time putting the words good and gris in the same sentence unless good is preceded by not.

Only thing better than watching the gris lose is when the Cats win

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:36 pm

cats should had one loss going into playoffs, the jizz. we would have possible avoided them in playoffs as a number 4 seed with griz 2. that would have been our best shot at getting to chipper by not going back washington griz.

but i digress, the NCAA would have forced UM vs MSU game before frisco.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:49 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
They have 34 seniors, dunno how many still have a year left. I was disheartened to hear that Gronowski has another year if he so chooses.
Name an FCS team he could transfer to where he isn't the starter immediately. And let me save it for you: we're not one of them.
I’d take Tommy over him. I think Gronowski is good, but he certainly benefits from having a lot of great talent around him.

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:05 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Agree. I thought the Cats actually neutralized both Cam Miller and Groniwski this year. Both very winnable games if not for Housewrong.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:07 pm

KIX wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:05 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Agree. I thought the Cats actually neutralized both Cam Miller and Groniwski this year. Both very winnable games if not for Housewrong.
I wasn't aware that it was "Housewrong" who gave up 35 points and missed three kicks against NDSU, or made the decision to kick the XP in overtime instead of going for two.

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:15 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:07 pm
KIX wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:05 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
I wasn't aware that it was "Housewrong" who gave up 35 points and missed three kicks against NDSU, or made the decision to kick the XP in overtime instead of going for two.
All true facts. We'd be better off with a different OC.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:24 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:49 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
I’d take Tommy over him. I think Gronowski is good, but he certainly benefits from having a lot of great talent around him.
I mean.. you do you. I asked. You're entitled to your take. But if gronowski transferred here there is a 0% chance Tommy is the qb. 0%.

MinnesotaJack
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MinnesotaJack » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:26 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:11 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:16 pm
gris_h8er wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:09 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:54 pm
They lose like 35 seniors. It could be anyone’s season next year.
Another positive I missed
somewhere i thought i read that only 11 of the 35 are not returning. they return 10 of 11 starters on offense.
No way this happens, and I'll put $$ down on that.....
I would love to return 10 of 11 on offense again, but you are correct here. We lose 3 OL, 2 WR's, our TE, and RB Isaiah Davis (he could come back but has openly said he's going to the NFL). It's also becoming increasingly likely that Gronowski leaves as well. We have talented guys waiting in the wings at every position but they'll be a few growing pains I'm sure as they gain experience.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:30 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:24 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:49 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
I mean.. you do you. I asked. You're entitled to your take. But if gronowski transferred here there is a 0% chance Tommy is the qb. 0%.
If Tommy can sustain how he played against NDSU, there isn’t a better/more impactful QB in the FCS.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:32 pm

gris_h8er wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:31 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
You would take gronowski above Tommy? As in the guy I watched get timed with a calendar when he was running today?
Exactly. If MG were the Cats starter, House might call a handoff to one of the All American running backs on the Cat roster. Plus, Tommy for all his positives is still a long way from an FCS level passer.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:37 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:32 pm
gris_h8er wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Exactly. If MG were the Cats starter, House might call a handoff to one of the All American running backs on the Cat roster. Plus, Tommy for all his positives is still a long way from an FCS level passer.
Hard disagree. Watch what he did against a good NDSU defense. To say he isn’t an FCS level passer is ludicrous.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:33 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:30 pm
gris_h8er wrote:
1) gris lost

Griz were better than Cats that day. Overall still feel their defense was better, Cats offense was better. Play 10. It would be 5-5. Maybe 4-6 but we didn't adjust to blitzing well enough to play from behind. Stay close and Mellott and Davis would maybe take over. They both ran well.

Sports is not bigger than life

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:19 pm

onceacat wrote:
gris_h8er wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Yes. I would take gronowski for his senior year as starting qb over Tommy. For 1 year. And i would never second guess the decision. JMO.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:57 am

If your assessment on Gronowski is how he played in the first half yesterday (or even the first half against the Cats) and then saying look at how Tommy played against NDSU you are hand picking games to support your opinion. I told my dad at halftime yesterday this thing is over. The Jacks played one of their worst halves of football yesterday and still have the lead at half time.
How MG played yesterday was not how he played all season and how Tommy played versus the Bison was his best game all season. Does MG benefit from playing with a ton of talent around him, yes. But so does TM.

And you knuckleheads with an ax to grind on Housewright are just idiots. We had one of the most prolific offense in all of the FCS. We had some of the best defenses heads spinning and had as much success versus the Jacks as any team. If you want him fired for other reasons I can see that but griping about the offensive play calling means you aren't paying attention and should get zero respect here.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:13 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:19 pm
onceacat wrote:
gris_h8er wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
Yes. I would take gronowski for his senior year as starting qb over Tommy. For 1 year. And i would never second guess the decision. JMO.
I want to be clear here too. I'm not criticizing Tommy with that comment. Gronowski was the best offensive player at this level this year. Who wouldn't want him, right? I'm glad we have Tommy and obv Gronowski isn't coming here. But if he was he would be the starter, that was my only point.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:31 am

MinnesotaJack wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:26 pm
catatac wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:11 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:16 pm
gris_h8er wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:09 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:54 pm
They lose like 35 seniors. It could be anyone’s season next year.
Another positive I missed
somewhere i thought i read that only 11 of the 35 are not returning. they return 10 of 11 starters on offense.
No way this happens, and I'll put $$ down on that.....
I would love to return 10 of 11 on offense again, but you are correct here. We lose 3 OL, 2 WR's, our TE, and RB Isaiah Davis (he could come back but has openly said he's going to the NFL). It's also becoming increasingly likely that Gronowski leaves as well. We have talented guys waiting in the wings at every position but they'll be a few growing pains I'm sure as they gain experience.
Montanabob has this season mixed up with last season. Four of 11 return in 2024 at most. That’s a lot gone but SDSU will be really good and ranked no. 1 to start the season.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:53 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:57 am

And you knuckleheads with an ax to grind on Housewright are just idiots. We had one of the most prolific offense in all of the FCS. We had some of the best defenses heads spinning and had as much success versus the Jacks as any team. If you want him fired for other reasons I can see that but griping about the offensive play calling means you aren't paying attention and should get zero respect here.
House has some share of the blame for our late season collapse, and you giving him a complete pass is just as idiotic.

Our offense was good for sure. But that's due to the talent level just as much than anything Housewright did. Plus, a ton of the points we scored were against bad teams. We ran it up against Poly, ewu and nau but we scored 7 in Missoula, which was less than every other team the griz played this season except unc. Idaho State's offense performed better in Missoula than MSU did. We scored 16 points at sdsu and you're using that as an example of how great our offense was?? I don't want House fired or anything, but come on, is he your uncle or something? With the talent we had on offense, ANY decent football mind could do what House did last season.

40 points at Weber was impressive. That was really the only impressive offensive output against a decent defense. Am I forgetting anything?

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:11 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:53 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:57 am

House has some share of the blame for our late season collapse, and you giving him a complete pass is just as idiotic.

Our offense was good for sure. But that's due to the talent level just as much than anything Housewright did. Plus, a ton of the points we scored were against bad teams. We ran it up against Poly, ewu and nau but we scored 7 in Missoula, which was less than every other team the griz played this season except unc. Idaho State's offense performed better in Missoula than MSU did. We scored 16 points at sdsu and you're using that as an example of how great our offense was?? I don't want House fired or anything, but come on, is he your uncle or something? With the talent we had on offense, ANY decent football mind could do what House did last season.

40 points at Weber was impressive. That was really the only impressive offensive output against a decent defense. Am I forgetting anything?
Yes. You missed the part where I said I could understand wanting him fired for other reasons so saying I'm giving him a complete pass is false. We also put up 42 in Sac and NAU was one of the better defenses in the league we put 45 on them (they were #4 when we played them). We also were in position to win in Brookings and by an initial TD call had done just that.
And then there is the fact that Cats finish 3rd in the ENTIRE country in total offense playing in one of the better conferences. So yeah, you missed some things.
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/21

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing