Kade Cutler in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Kade Cutler in portal

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:28 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:20 pm
basincat wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:19 pm
For a Montana kid to do that says something. Maybe it was only in the kid's eyes, but this is not something that just happens. Coaches want to win. But I also know for a fact that a lot of coaches not from Montana are not going to look at a small town Montana kid coming in objectively. By default, a lot of them will think he can't play at the level some kid coming in from Texas or some big school could play at. Just human nature, but these kids have to do more to shine and prove to the coach they can see the field. Maybe that isn't the case here. It's still not a good look. Now more than ever we have to get the best Montana kids, because they are the ones who stand the best chance of staying 4 years. He clearly thinks he was good enough and coach didn't give him a chance and now he wants to stick it to us. Only time will tell, but if he goes over there and becomes a major contributor, then someone screwed the pooch here.
Have you ever heard of Melstone or Sunburst, MT? I think the track record is okay for small town kids getting a good look.

And Rylan Ortt is an all-conference guy. If Cutler wants significant playing time, his chances might be better at his position in Missoula.

And recall Dalton Daum switched programs a couple of years back and had no impact with the Cats. Cutler didn’t play much for us and I can’t fault him for pursuing something that might yield more playing time.
I can assure Basincat has heard of Melstone and Sunburst. Ask him about partying all weekend long in Frisco with Treyton’s dad and aunt. He ain’t wrong.

If your left, you aren’t right.

basincat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by basincat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:50 pm

Cataholic wrote:
basincat wrote:
For a Montana kid to do that says something. Maybe it was only in the kid's eyes, but this is not something that just happens. Coaches want to win. But I also know for a fact that a lot of coaches not from Montana are not going to look at a small town Montana kid coming in objectively. By default, a lot of them will think he can't play at the level some kid coming in from Texas or some big school could play at. Just human nature, but these kids have to do more to shine and prove to the coach they can see the field. Maybe that isn't the case here. It's still not a good look. Now more than ever we have to get the best Montana kids, because they are the ones who stand the best chance of staying 4 years. He clearly thinks he was good enough and coach didn't give him a chance and now he wants to stick it to us. Only time will tell, but if he goes over there and becomes a major contributor, then someone screwed the pooch here.
Have you ever heard of Melstone or Sunburst, MT? I think the track record is okay for small town kids getting a good look.

And Rylan Ortt is an all-conference guy. If Cutler wants significant playing time, his chances might be better at his position in Missoula.

And recall Dalton Daum switched programs a couple of years back and had no impact with the Cats. Cutler didn’t play much for us and I can’t fault him for pursuing something that might yield more playing time.

Grebe didn't play at Melstone. He played 11 man football at Roundup. And he went to a prep school to show people his skills before he came here. Not saying it doesn't happen. It's just a fact those kids have to show more to get the same look. The guys who want significant playing time and leave go NAIA, normally. Sometimes to a lesser FCS school. They don't go to Missoula, if they're from Montana, especially in a year when they're playing for a national championship and are probably going to be recruiting pretty well. He's either completely over rates his skill set or thinks the coaches screwed him. Like I said, time will tell but it's not a good look.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:28 pm

basincat wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:50 pm
Cataholic wrote:
basincat wrote:

Grebe didn't play at Melstone. He played 11 man football at Roundup. And he went to a prep school to show people his skills before he came here. Not saying it doesn't happen. It's just a fact those kids have to show more to get the same look. The guys who want significant playing time and leave go NAIA, normally. Sometimes to a lesser FCS school. They don't go to Missoula, if they're from Montana, especially in a year when they're playing for a national championship and are probably going to be recruiting pretty well. He's either completely over rates his skill set or thinks the coaches screwed him. Like I said, time will tell but it's not a good look.
I don't get your comments on not a good look. Lots of walk on or partials don't make it and leave. Fitzgerald just did it and went back home. Cutler is going home also, probably walking on and giving it a shot. Just happens be that is to Missoula.
Cats have a long history of MT kids getting full, partial or walk on and having great success. Do you believe 1 not working out offsets all that and will make kids not come to Bozeman.

Sports is not bigger than life

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:39 pm

basincat wrote:
MSU has a former Gris track athlete who made the transfer to Bozeman and just graduated with spring track left but that was a very unique situation.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:49 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:59 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:33 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:02 am
If he didn't get on the field for us then he either had nagging injuries or wasn't good enough. Period. Nobody wants to win games more than the coaches. They play the kids that have the best shot at delivering a win. I wish the kid well.
There’s a ton of context that can go into this, but I think “coaches aren’t infallible” will suffice.
Of course they aren't infallible. Who is? But I think their #1 consideration for playing time is winning the game. There are lots of other factors - developing players, maintaining discipline, rewarding effort, etc.
Right. Whether or not they're infallible really is immaterial to the discussion. They are the guys hired to run the program and win games, and clearly they didn't think he could help them win games. To suggest otherwise would suggest coaches putting vendettas over wins. If that's the case we've got larger problems than losing a 3rd string defensive player to the Griz. I don't believe our culture is broken at all, much less like that. No coach, no personnel man, is going to get it right 100% of the time. Ryan leaf. JaMarcus Russell. Albert Haynesworth. Tyler bruggman. Matthew mckay. Tom Brady in the 6th rd. It happens. But this kid clearly thinks he's a better player than our staff thinks he is. Maybe that made him mad and be sought out UM. Who knows.