Quarters

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Quarters

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:05 pm

Since all four teams that beat MSU are in the quarterfinals and all four are favored to win I figured it would be okay to post this here vs the college page.

I’m going with:
UM over Furman 35-10
Albany over Idaho 31-21
USD over NDSU 28-17
SDSU over Villanova 27-24

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Quarters

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:13 pm

I think ndsu is finding their playoff groove and will avenge their earlier loss at usd.

The griz are rolling now, especially at home, and Furman is a bit overrated imo.

I haven't seen Albany play once so I'm just going with the home team.

Sdsu has no chance of losing.

UM over Furman 31-13
Idaho over Albany 27-24
Ndsu over 21-14
SDSU over Villanova 38-20

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:19 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:13 pm
I think ndsu is finding their playoff groove and will avenge their earlier loss at usd.

The griz are rolling now, especially at home, and Furman is a bit overrated imo.

I haven't seen Albany play once so I'm just going with the home team.

Sdsu has no chance of losing.

UM over Furman 31-13
Idaho over Albany 27-24
Ndsu over 21-14
I cannot believe MSU lost to Idaho and NDSU. I don’t think either was anywhere near as good as MSU. However, the way this year went it’s almost a certainty that the semis will be UM vs NDSU and Idaho vs SDSU. 😵💫😵💫😵💫😵💫

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:28 pm

I see MSU’s 4 losses as the 4 semifinalists. Pretty certain that’s never happened before.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:11 am

And 3 of the 4 losses were gut-wrenching, shoulda -woulda-coulda results where literally inches were the difference in winning vs. losing...

In that regard, this season was the most agonizing I've ever experienced as a Bobcat fan. And now with all of the Portal departures, what we all thought was a team set up for an amazing 2 year run seems to be slipping away. Don't know how much longer I want to be a college sports fan, considering the ridiculous roster uncertainty from year to year. Sucks that it seems eventually money and greed ruins everything.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:35 am

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:13 pm
UM over Furman 31-13
Idaho over Albany 27-24
Ndsu over 21-14
I’m adding the Massey win probability to your list.

UM over Furman 31-13 (92%)
Idaho over Albany 27-24 (63%)
Ndsu over USD 21-14 (78%)
SDSU over Villanova 38-20 (94%)

If you want nail-biters, this may not be the weekend. The strength is overwhelmingly in the MVFC and the Big Sky. Reference UM if you want to see a soft schedule in the playoffs.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:21 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:11 am
And 3 of the 4 losses were gut-wrenching, shoulda -woulda-coulda results where literally inches were the difference in winning vs. losing...

In that regard, this season was the most agonizing I've ever experienced as a Bobcat fan. And now with all of the Portal departures, what we all thought was a team set up for an amazing 2 year run seems to be slipping away. Don't know how much longer I want to be a college sports fan, considering the ridiculous roster uncertainty from year to year. Sucks that it seems eventually money and greed ruins everything.
Yeah, over the last 50 years I’ve gone from being a huge sports fans that followed multiple teams from every major sports association in the country to just one team that I follow closely. This might be the end of the road for me. I’m just going to observe the next couple of months to see what happens but I’m not holding my breath.

toM StUber

Cats92
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cats92 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:25 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:21 am
grizzh8r wrote:

Yeah, over the last 50 years I’ve gone from being a huge sports fans that followed multiple teams from every major sports association in the country to just one team that I follow closely. This might be the end of the road for me. I’m just going to observe the next couple of months to see what happens but I’m not holding my breath.
Boooooooo!!!

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:47 am

Cats92 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:25 am
TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

Boooooooo!!!
You can boo all you want, but you'd be fooling yourself if you don't think there aren't more fans like TomCat and grizzh8r that are feeling like this. If the NIL and portal continue at this rate, I think it has to potential to negatively impact fan support at MSU. Nobody wants to watch their beloved team be relegated to a farm program for FBS schools.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Cats92
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cats92 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:11 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:47 am
Cats92 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

Boooooooo!!!
You can boo all you want, but you'd be fooling yourself if you don't think there aren't more fans like TomCat and grizzh8r that are feeling like this. If the NIL and portal continue at this rate, I think it has to potential to negatively impact fan support at MSU. Nobody wants to watch their beloved team be relegated to a farm program for FBS schools.
No I get it and I feel the same way. But from all the years of disappointment, why is this the one that’s been the reality check for a lot of the posters here?

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:30 am

Cats92 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:11 am
Camo_Cat wrote:
Cats92 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

Boooooooo!!!
No I get it and I feel the same way. But from all the years of disappointment, why is this the one that’s been the reality check for a lot of the posters here?
I think this hits hard because it's taken so long for the Cats to reach the level we are currently at, and we have yet to fully take advantage of all our success. And now to many, it feels like that might be slipping away....

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:32 am

Cats92 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Cats92 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

Boooooooo!!!
The disappointment now is not because of the season's outcome. It's from losing the best players to the highest bidder and realizing that no matter how much money we're realistically able to spend on season tickets, booster fees and donations - MSU will never be able to hang onto our best players under the current system rules. Or at least the rules that are being enforced...

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:11 am

I REALLY want NDSU to go to Missoula and end their season.

catscat

Post by catscat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:19 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Cats92 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

Boooooooo!!!
Add me to the list. Not ready to jump ship just yet, but I'll be watching with interest over the next couple years.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:28 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:30 am
Cats92 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Cats92 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:

Boooooooo!!!
I think this hits hard because it's taken so long for the Cats to reach the level we are currently at, and we have yet to fully take advantage of all our success. And now to many, it feels like that might be slipping away....
Let's not forget that this is on the coattails of what happened to the MBB team. I had just started really getting back into them. I had followed them for years and always tried to check scores and such but had just gotten the opportunity to start going to games regularly again and the last couple of years were great watching players develop and the culminating in the two BSC championships. Then watching like 75% of the team bail in one offseason and the new coach coming in so late as to not have a real shot at getting any transfers in is shocking. The guys playing now are working their tails off and I appreciate it but besides Ford/Patterson/Lecholat, I don't feel all that much of a connection with them.

Then you have a MFB team that I was extremely high on come into a brutal schedule and be, IMO, "" this close to being a 1 or 2 seed and finally getting back to the promised land. Just small things get fixed and we win 3 of those games. Ok cool, well everyone comes back and we can do it again next ye.... oh wait, now we have to replace several stars that are in their prime because they left for "greener" pastures(nothing against the kids just what we have to deal with as fans) and our future is in limbo again. And this is probably how things will be from now on, even if we did somehow manage to move up, we will never be at the top. Just really hard to swallow. I still kind of follow the NFL and FBS but nothing like I used to because I don't feel any connection to teams because players change so much. You just don't see players spend entire careers with the same team anymore like they used to. Man, when did I get so old...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

aucat

Post by aucat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:48 am

You think these kind of feelings are limited to just Bobcat fans? It's nationwide for all college fans. But here at home just look at what happened to our basketball program almost overnight. Normally when a coach comes in, especially an alum like Sprinkle, and rebuilds the program, there is a foundation laid. Then, if the rebuilder moves on, he left the program in much better shape than he found it. This didn't happen at Montana State. The program is close to rock bottom right now and it's because of the transfer portal. In the old days you would have to sit out a year if you transferred to another D-1 school. Our football program is obviously not in the same position as basketball, but you get the feeling that we have been trying to reach the summit of a peak and we were almost there, then we don't quite make it and a rock slide follows. UGH.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:08 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:05 pm
Since all four teams that beat MSU are in the quarterfinals and all four are favored to win I figured it would be okay to post this here vs the college page.

I’m going with:
UM over Furman 35-10
Albany over Idaho 31-21
USD over NDSU 28-17
SDSU over Villanova 27-24
I'd be shocked if the Jack's/Nova game is 1 score.

UM 28 FUrman 13. The Dins actually can play some defense and you know they say defense travels so that will keep them in it for a half or so. This is basically the same team that went blow for blow with UIW last season.
Albany 20 Idaho 13. I've only watched the Danes once and it was last week but man that D was physical and nasty. I can't believe I'd take a CAA team over a top BSC team but I think Albany could win.
NDSU 35 USD 21 If you watch their first matchup the Yotes ran out to a big lead but had to hold on for dear life as the Bison finally got it going. If the game was 5 minutes longer the outcome was different. Plus its the post season and the Bison gonna Bison.
SDSU 41 Nova 14 Jacks The quote from Marvels "I am Inevitable" is apropos here.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:58 am

Over there one of the posters said we are being hit by the portal because somethings is wrong with the program. Can't remember if anyone agreed with them...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

grizatwork

Post by grizatwork » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:45 pm

RickRund wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:58 am
Over there one of the posters said we are being hit by the portal because somethings is wrong with the program. Can't remember if anyone agreed with them...
I would say it is the opposite. You are being hit hard in the portal because of what is right with your program. Good recruits who have been developed into great players. It sounds weird, but it is a nice problem to have. Kind of like going to a party with the prettiest girl.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:56 pm

grizatwork wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:45 pm
RickRund wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:58 am
I would say it is the opposite. You are being hit hard in the portal because of what is right with your program. Good recruits who have been developed into great players. It sounds weird, but it is a nice problem to have. Kind of like going to a party with the prettiest girl.
Ya its nice at first but then a bigger stronger better looking guy with more money and a nicer car kicks you in the balls and steals your girlfriend.