Off-season Portal additions/losses

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Off-season Portal additions/losses

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:58 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:46 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:40 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:30 pm
The more I think about it, I’m more worried about safety than LB.

We have two excellent starters at safety, but the depth is pretty poor. Stillwell is okay, and hopefully continues to develop, but I don’t see anybody after that. I might be missing somebody, but Pottenger doesn’t inspire any confidence in me. Would really like to see a transfer brought in. Should probably include nickel here too, we need some depth and competition for Dowler.

I’d like to see a starting type LB brought in, but if McCade starts we’ll be fine. And as Vim mentioned, there’s some protectable depth there.
Seems like there are a lot of players at other positions that would make good safeties. Lots of players with the generic DB label.
Who?

Because, I'll just be blunt here, if they aren't better than Pottenger, we're in trouble.
I don’t know how good they are at safety but just the sheer number of players listed at cb, db and s, coupled with MSU’s player development makes me think a couple would make solid safeties. Might be a few guys at wr and rb too.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:42 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:58 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

We have two excellent starters at safety, but the depth is pretty poor. Stillwell is okay, and hopefully continues to develop, but I don’t see anybody after that. I might be missing somebody, but Pottenger doesn’t inspire any confidence in me. Would really like to see a transfer brought in. Should probably include nickel here too, we need some depth and competition for Dowler.

I’d like to see a starting type LB brought in, but if McCade starts we’ll be fine. And as Vim mentioned, there’s some protectable depth there.
Seems like there are a lot of players at other positions that would make good safeties. Lots of players with the generic DB label.
Who?

Because, I'll just be blunt here, if they aren't better than Pottenger, we're in trouble.
I don’t know how good they are at safety but just the sheer number of players listed at cb, db and s, coupled with MSU’s player development makes me think a couple would make solid safeties. Might be a few guys at wr and rb too.
Current safeties:

1st Group: Rylan Ortt, Dru Polidore, Blake Stillwell
2nd Group: Tyson Pottenger, Brock Steel, Colter Petre, Taki Uluilakepa

Current nickels:

1st Group: Caden Dowler
2nd Group: Miles Jackson, JJ Dolan (not really sure if he could hold up physically but the kid was a great nickel in high school...just a redshirt freshman this year)

Current corners:

1st Group: Simeon Woodard, Jon Johnson, Andrew Powdrell, Miles Jackson
2nd Group: Devin Davis, Takhari Carr, Jackson Harmon, Tayden Gray

Freshman coming in:

Brendon Ross (S), Jhase McMillan (CB), Ryan Nansel (CB)

So that's the current group without more transfers or high school signings. Just like LB, we need one more player to develop out of four (Pottenger, Steel, Uluilakepa, or Petre). Pottenger got early reps in 2022 against EWU because of injuries/suspensons but was 100% not ready (not really his fault). He then got beat out by Stillwell mostly because Blake has better coverage skills and can get his nose dirty in the run game (but overall run support needs a ton of work). You then have Brock Steel who is slowly coming along with his development and is ready to push the two-deep in 2024. May also be our #2 at nickel by beginning of fall camp. Colter Petre is a lesser known MT product who earned special teams reps by year end last year. He's tough as nails but needs to get bigger physically. He's arguably our next "Ty Okada" if his development continues to progress. He's also a great athlete as he put up a 22', 6.5" long jump in 2023 which was the best in the state. Anyway, kid to watch. The true freshman Brendon Ross is a solid signing and may help push at either safety or nickel but who knows. I also think we'll add a transfer at safety in some capacity.

At corner, we have five in the rotation if Devin Davis takes the next step. We signed a stud in Jhase McMillan. I'd still like to see one more transfer like a Jon Johnson come in but if this group is the group next year, we just need to work on tackling again.

At nickel, need to figure out the #2 behind Caden. Our nickel is effectively our 3rd LB and Dowler or Price were not bullied in the run game last year despite not being LB sized. Just gotta find the right guy. Miles Jackson played some out of necessity. JJ Dolan is a young kid with a pile of upside but he may be a year or two away physically. Brock Steel could move into this role. We'll probably be signing another nickel type before fall 2024 starts.

Overall, Ortt & Polidore were lighting up the field with their play when both were healthy and it was so refreshing to see two quality enforcers on the back end again. But then Dru got dinged up and Stillwell finished the season which was a great silver lining for his development for 2024. I could see adding two-three more secondary (safety, cb, nb) players by beginning of summer.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:56 pm

Last fall, they had Taki Uluilakepa at safety (not CB) and I saw him taking mostly No. 2 reps, but one day he was even taking No. 1 reps. It seemed that the coaches were high on him, but I believe he got injured?

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:21 pm

What happened to Bear Old, I didn't see him enter the portal?

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:32 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:21 pm
He left the team.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:51 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:32 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:21 pm
He left the team.
Ah, bummer!!!

Hating the griz since 02.

msubobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by msubobcat » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:54 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:56 pm
Last fall, they had Taki Uluilakepa at safety (not CB) and I saw him taking mostly No. 2 reps, but one day he was even taking No. 1 reps. It seemed that the coaches were high on him, but I believe he got injured?
Correct. W
as set to see some action at Safety but then got hurt.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:16 pm

msubobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:54 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
Correct. W
Noted. Thanks for the update on him! Was not really sure what was going on with him and then I just saw he was injured.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cats and Dogs
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Cats and Dogs » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:34 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:58 pm
If we don't get a placekicker and a starter level LB in by this summer this portal recruiting cycle will be a bust. Anything else we get will be nice but those are two positions of NEED.
Couldn't agree more. Need a starter or 2 for the front 6. Defense needs dramatic improvement over last year to be championship caliber and standing pat will not yield that. Hoping Daly can reel in a couple dudes!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:21 pm

I cant remember what thread we talked about U Albany QB hitting the portal. But some thought he wouldnt get much of an offer. He just signed with Miami.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ring-miami

Hating the griz since 02.

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:38 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:16 pm
msubobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:54 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
Correct. W
Noted. Thanks for the update on him! Was not really sure what was going on with him and then I just saw he was injured.
Added to the list of practice/off season casualties. Hopefully 2024 gets figured out.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:47 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:58 pm
ruralcat wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:50 pm
I agree ColoradoCat. We need a starter alongside Danny U. Hopefully we have some young guys ready to step up cause the cupboard is pretty bare right now.
McCade OReilly took his lumps in his first year starting but by no means is a backup. Mostly just need a legit 3rd LB to pair with Danny and McCade. I'm expecting one of Bullock, Aby, and Daily to be ready to take on a true rotational role. Wildcard to watch for is Bryce Grebe. Developing faster than expected. Also coaching staff thinks freshman Ryan Bowles has a shot next year.
What’s the word on Max Murphy?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:51 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:42 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:58 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Who?

Current safeties:

1st Group: Rylan Ortt, Dru Polidore, Blake Stillwell
2nd Group: Tyson Pottenger, Brock Steel, Colter Petre, Taki Uluilakepa

Current nickels:

1st Group: Caden Dowler
2nd Group: Miles Jackson, JJ Dolan (not really sure if he could hold up physically but the kid was a great nickel in high school...just a redshirt freshman this year)

Current corners:

1st Group: Simeon Woodard, Jon Johnson, Andrew Powdrell, Miles Jackson
2nd Group: Devin Davis, Takhari Carr, Jackson Harmon, Tayden Gray

Freshman coming in:

Brendon Ross (S), Jhase McMillan (CB), Ryan Nansel (CB)

So that's the current group without more transfers or high school signings. Just like LB, we need one more player to develop out of four (Pottenger, Steel, Uluilakepa, or Petre). Pottenger got early reps in 2022 against EWU because of injuries/suspensons but was 100% not ready (not really his fault). He then got beat out by Stillwell mostly because Blake has better coverage skills and can get his nose dirty in the run game (but overall run support needs a ton of work). You then have Brock Steel who is slowly coming along with his development and is ready to push the two-deep in 2024. May also be our #2 at nickel by beginning of fall camp. Colter Petre is a lesser known MT product who earned special teams reps by year end last year. He's tough as nails but needs to get bigger physically. He's arguably our next "Ty Okada" if his development continues to progress. He's also a great athlete as he put up a 22', 6.5" long jump in 2023 which was the best in the state. Anyway, kid to watch. The true freshman Brendon Ross is a solid signing and may help push at either safety or nickel but who knows. I also think we'll add a transfer at safety in some capacity.

At corner, we have five in the rotation if Devin Davis takes the next step. We signed a stud in Jhase McMillan. I'd still like to see one more transfer like a Jon Johnson come in but if this group is the group next year, we just need to work on tackling again.

At nickel, need to figure out the #2 behind Caden. Our nickel is effectively our 3rd LB and Dowler or Price were not bullied in the run game last year despite not being LB sized. Just gotta find the right guy. Miles Jackson played some out of necessity. JJ Dolan is a young kid with a pile of upside but he may be a year or two away physically. Brock Steel could move into this role. We'll probably be signing another nickel type before fall 2024 starts.

Overall, Ortt & Polidore were lighting up the field with their play when both were healthy and it was so refreshing to see two quality enforcers on the back end again. But then Dru got dinged up and Stillwell finished the season which was a great silver lining for his development for 2024. I could see adding two-three more secondary (safety, cb, nb) players by beginning of summer.
Saw some pics of JJ over the holidays (family friends) and he’s definitely put on some mass since the fall. Still isn’t big compared to others but he’s so fast and doesn’t mind hitting people at all.

What a ride

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:56 pm

Hoping for Rollins to complete the OL class.

DL is looking good now, IMO.

Now a LB or 2 (maybe that Wisconsin guy tht julius followed). Lonyattas brother would be massive, but he is getting offers from tons of big schools…. So a long shot.

Safety/Nickle/DB…. Need a couple here.

Oh and a kicker! Maybe the most important. Cmon!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:59 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:47 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
ruralcat wrote:
I agree ColoradoCat. We need a starter alongside Danny U. Hopefully we have some young guys ready to step up cause the cupboard is pretty bare right now.
McCade OReilly took his lumps in his first year starting but by no means is a backup. Mostly just need a legit 3rd LB to pair with Danny and McCade. I'm expecting one of Bullock, Aby, and Daily to be ready to take on a true rotational role. Wildcard to watch for is Bryce Grebe. Developing faster than expected. Also coaching staff thinks freshman Ryan Bowles has a shot next year.
He's a fullback. Has been since spring ball 2023.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:06 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:59 pm
PapaG wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:47 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
ruralcat wrote:
He's a fullback. Has been since spring ball 2023.
Thanks.

What a ride

chadtothebone
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by chadtothebone » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:58 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:56 pm

Now a LB or 2 (maybe that Wisconsin guy tht julius followed). Lonyattas brother would be massive, but he is getting offers from tons of big schools…. So a long shot.

I am crossing my fingers on the kicker from Colorado State, Ashton Wolf, who is in the portal. Originally from the Seattle area. And Adam Vinatieri Jr, also in the portal.

Ty Gregorak- "Football is as American as a Dad chasing his kids with power tools"

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:22 pm

chadtothebone wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:58 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

I am crossing my fingers on the kicker from Colorado State, Ashton Wolf, who is in the portal. Originally from the Seattle area. And Adam Vinatieri Jr, also in the portal.
Vigen is currently following a high school kicker out of Utah that has an offer from Weber.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

chadtothebone
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by chadtothebone » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:57 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:22 pm
chadtothebone wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Vigen is currently following a high school kicker out of Utah that has an offer from Weber.
Not an X/Twitter person so don’t get to see the follows

Ty Gregorak- "Football is as American as a Dad chasing his kids with power tools"

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:40 pm

chadtothebone wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:57 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:22 pm
chadtothebone wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

Not an X/Twitter person so don’t get to see the follows
I'm just letting you/everyone know.