Off-season Portal additions/losses

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Off-season Portal additions/losses

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:50 pm

chadtothebone wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:58 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:56 pm
Hoping for Rollins to complete the OL class.

DL is looking good now, IMO.

Now a LB or 2 (maybe that Wisconsin guy tht julius followed). Lonyattas brother would be massive, but he is getting offers from tons of big schools…. So a long shot.

Safety/Nickle/DB…. Need a couple here.

Oh and a kicker! Maybe the most important. Cmon!
I am crossing my fingers on the kicker from Colorado State, Ashton Wolf, who is in the portal. Originally from the Seattle area. And Adam Vinatieri Jr, also in the portal.
Can I ask why? Doesn’t look like either one have any stats to go off of.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:09 pm

I was really thinking/hoping Rollins would commit by this point… also a kicker…

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:23 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:09 pm
He doesn't get off his mission until July.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:26 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:23 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:09 pm
He doesn't get off his mission until July.

Gotcha. Hope he joins the Cats!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:50 pm

Hopefully we can snag a few of the Husky transfers. LB would be a huge spot as well as DB/S.

Punters are people too!!

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:46 pm

So if I am to assume correctly, the transfer portal is currently closed to any new players that wish to enter, and it will reopen after spring ball. But players who have already entered their names in the portal can sign with a new school/team at any time, correct? Because I am still reading articles about portal players who are signing with new schools. That's recently as today.

Which leads me to me next curiosity - we haven't seen a signee out of the portal for the Cats in awhile. Are we done signing? I mean, recruiting is never over, but I am just curious about what angle the coaches are taking. We have all identified certain areas we need some help. So does Vigen identify players to fill those spots now, or do you wait to see what new names pop-up in the portal after spring ball is over?

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:54 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:46 pm
So if I am to assume correctly, the transfer portal is currently closed to any new players that wish to enter, and it will reopen after spring ball. But players who have already entered their names in the portal can sign with a new school/team at any time, correct? Because I am still reading articles about portal players who are signing with new schools. That's recently as today.

Which leads me to me next curiosity - we haven't seen a signee out of the portal for the Cats in awhile. Are we done signing? I mean, recruiting is never over, but I am just curious about what angle the coaches are taking. We have all identified certain areas we need some help. So does Vigen identify players to fill those spots now, or do you wait to see what new names pop-up in the portal after spring ball is over?
As we sit here waiting on new signees, the Griz have received like 4 new commits just today!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:55 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:

All good questions.....I also think an addition aspect of the equation is what our current scholarship and roster numbers are. I'd imagine we have some wiggle room, but maybe not? I'm not sure....

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:02 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:

I suppose the big question is how many scholarships/roster spots does MSU currently have available? They had 12 players in the senior class and have lost 7 to the Transfer Portal for a total of 19 known outgoing players. They signed 20 players in their December class and have announced 2 incoming transfers (OL from N. Texas, DL from Wash. St.) since then for a total of 22 known incoming players. I believe there were also a few medical retirements or other players who left the team without going into the portal, but so far it appears that MSU has filled just about all the roster spots it had open. One thing that seems to be apparent is that Vigen placed a very high priority on signing high school players as opposed to transfers.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:06 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:

MSU isn't in a situation where it's going to be bringing large numbers of players. MSU doesn't need to build depth as much as most teams and is mostly looking for starter-level players. I don't expect MSU to bring in more than 3-4 more players through the portal unless it can bring in some dead ringers at positions that are already very strong.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:22 pm

Cats15 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:54 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:

As we sit here waiting on new signees, the Griz have received like 4 new commits just today!
Griz have their own depth holes to fill and they are getting dropdowns who didn't get playing time at their old schools which is who we and every other FCS school are after. However, they signed a DT from Monmouth today which is 100% a depth signing (because if he ends up being their starter their depth inside is worse than I thought). Context matters when others teams sign transfers. Just because they have signed 8 transfers doesn't mean we have to quickly add transfers to "match them". Its not how it works.

Bobcat starter/depth needs after our guys transferred out (my ranking):

1) DT (starter level) - signed Alec Eckert from Washington State
2) LB (starter level and backup level) - after a lot of them from the FBS level...we just need to push our developmental guys and have a guy to match or exceed Danny U or McCade when on the field
3) K (starter level) - after a pile of them
4) S (starter or backup level) - take our time and find the right fit
5) CB (starter or backup level) - take our time and find the right fit ala Jon Johnson from last year
6) OL (starter or backup level - signed Samora Ezekiel from North Texas
7) H-back (starter level) - signed Rohan Jones from Maine
8.) QB (starter level) - not sure the coaches want one but I would try to bring in another big QB type who can excel in the run game. Chance Wilson has a big opportunity this spring to be the #2.

RB, WR, TE, DE to me are all good to go with who we have coming back and the young, developing depth at those positions.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:30 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:22 pm
Cats15 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Griz have their own depth holes to fill and they are getting dropdowns who didn't get playing time at their old schools which is who we and every other FCS school are after. However, they signed a DT from Monmouth today which is 100% a depth signing (because if he ends up being their starter their depth inside is worse than I thought). Context matters when others teams sign transfers. Just because they have signed 8 transfers doesn't mean we have to quickly add transfers to "match them". Its not how it works.

2) LB (starter level and backup level) - after a lot of them from the FBS level...we just need to push our developmental guys and have a guy to match or exceed Danny U or McCade when on the field
5) CB (starter or backup level) - take our time and find the right fit ala Jon Johnson from last year
8.) QB (starter level) - not sure the coaches want one but I would try to bring in another QB. Chance Wilson has a big opportunity this spring to be the #2 in a battle with Jordan Reed.

RB, WR, TE, DE to me are all good to go with who we have coming back and the young, developing depth at those positions.
Griz sign literally any transfer and some Cat fans will still be like...

There is a long time until the end of May 2024. We've brought in some of our best transfers post-April. I'm already very happy with the DT and OL signings to offset some of the portal losses.

Really our most important signing with be kicker. The most important development will be who turns into the #2 option at QB.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:05 pm

I hope we're not done, I feel like we need a couple linebackers ready to go and some depth at secondary would be nice. I'd rather not watch a Safety's head explode after being put in the rotation.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:28 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:22 pm
Cats15 wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

8.) QB (starter level) - not sure the coaches want one but I would try to bring in another big QB type who can excel in the run game. Chance Wilson has a big opportunity this spring to be the #2.

Chance is going to be a change of pace QB only. Per Vigen last year: Reed can do things Mellott and Chambers can't do. I would expect Reed to play a lot next year. Chance is very very fast and I am sure they will have some special packages for him. Reed is our best passing QB.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:55 pm

You have to like this staff’s approach to the portal. Sit back, do nothing and maybe before the season starts we will find some kid that is still hoping to find a home. Well played👍

Punters are people too!!

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:18 pm

You have to like this staff’s approach to the portal. Sit back, do nothing and maybe before the season starts we will find some kid that is still hoping to find a home. Well played👍

Punters are people too!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:24 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:18 pm
So do the players we've already signed don't count? Interesting take.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:25 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:05 pm
I hope we're not done, I feel like we need a couple linebackers ready to go and some depth at secondary would be nice. I'd rather not watch a Safety's head explode after being put in the rotation.
MSU isn’t done looking for players.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:26 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sarcasm?

toM StUber

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:46 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:26 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Sarcasm?
I don't think it's sarcasm at all. We seem to have picked up a couple needed players to replace the portal losses. Some great players will emerge after the frenzy that has just happened and we will probably have a couple roster spots to offer some best available athletes. I too think it's a smart strategy.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire