Housewright cited for aggravated DUI

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Housewright cited for aggravated DUI

Post by onceacat » Tue May 16, 2023 9:24 pm

allcat wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:29 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:03 am
allcat wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:26 pm
onceacat wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:46 am
gtapp wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:35 am
onceacat wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:13 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:57 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:17 pm
MountainCat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:11 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 3:32 pm

I mean this isn't exactly Penn State. Its college assistance coaches at the FCS level getting cited for DUIs. Is it bad? Yes. Should Vigen hold his coaches to a higher standard by making them suffer the consequences? Yes. Should Vigen be let go? No.

With Garza’s most recent DUI I was shocked when he wasn’t let go immediately but understood the legal process needed to play out. In my opinion he should have been let go by the University immediately once the legal end was finalized (if it has been). I’ve truly enjoyed Housewright and what he’s brought to MSU football the past few years. He made a mistake, a stupid one, and we’ve all made them and moved on. But, two coaches with DUI’s in 6 months? It’s absolutely unacceptable for this to be swept under the rug and I truly hope that Coach Vigen addresses this publicly somehow. The players and fans deserve that in my opinion.I’m as big of an MSU football fan and supporter as you’ll meet, but what kind of message is being sent here?!? Seriously, say what you want, but I put this at Vigens feet. These actions may not be his doing, but they could definitely be his un-doing! Vigen is ultimately responsible for setting the tone of the football program, how he approaches this situation could ultimately break him. The optics on this are terrible for MSU and the scrutiny that will be closely following is going to be deserved.
=D^ :goodpost:
Do all public employees deserve to lose their job for a DUI. Professors, the custodian staff, etc. My guess is they have to treat these coaches the same as they would others on campus. They are more in the public eye, but still under a contract.
Of course not. And they shouldn't. but they arent the public face of the university...they dont make the crazy high salaries that an OC makes, and they weren't driving an MSU issued vehicle.

No way an addict professor should get fired for this. No way Garza or House should be on the sidelines next fall.
"Crazy high salaries". Maybe at FBS schools but certainly not at the FCS level.
Relative to professors, custodians, support staff at MSU. MSU is known for how poorly it pays most staff. I dont recall exactly how much Housewright makes, but I'm reasonably sure its 20-30x what MSU pays adjuncts. At the salty old age of 33.
I would bet against that.
Adjucts make $1500 (give or take) per class. x2-3 classes per term, with 0 benefits. So, yeah, House with bonuses & benefits package is easily 20x.
You are comparing a very part time with a full time position. That's really just trying to cherry pick your stats. Complete apples and Oranges.
The post I was responding to was "Should professors lose their jobs for a DUI".

Many, maybe most professors are adjuncts. Even those who aren't are making maybe $50k at Houewrights age. And, obviously, arent acting as the public face of the university in things like press conferences, recruiting, etc.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue May 16, 2023 9:29 pm

utucats wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 1:05 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:05 am
utucats wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 8:35 am
This thread it a ****** show.

Housewright made a big mistake but it doesn’t have anything to do with MSU culture. People drink and not everyone does responsibly. I bet nearly everyone on this site has gotten away with driving under the influence. Let’s hold off on the judgment just because we never got caught.
I bet nobody on this thread has crashed an MSU issued vehicle & left the scene.
You are right, we are all far superior human beings.
Has nothing to do with being a better human. It has to do with the consequences of crashing an MSU issued truck & leaving the scene. THAT is 100% a fixable offense regardless of the DUI.

This isnt a moral judgement. Its a question of "Can this guy do the basic duties required by the job".

Leaving the scene of a crash is a crystal clear "No"...Same with Garza driving 60 down Main. The DUI charges are really a distraction.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue May 16, 2023 9:30 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 1:37 pm
DMMDCats wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:15 am
utucats wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 8:35 am
This thread it a ****** show.
Agreed

So many who have never sinned on this site. Good thing there are lots of rocks in MT.

Just the optics of the discussion.

Most of this could have been private messages between the morals police. Same folks who look down on others who work for a living and get their hands dirty.

On another subject: I am now convinced cat4lyf is a plant to get page views for ad revenue.

Have a nice day.
Thinking a DUI in a school vehicle and leaving the scene warrants a loss of job is just “people who haven’t sinned”?

Good grief. Standards aren’t a bad thing to have. At the end of the day, Housewright is a coach in charge of a group of young people and helping them grow as humans. It’s not all about football.

I’m sure he’s a decent person, but there needs to be consequences for actions. Letting it go sets a bad example for MSU.
You and I dont often agree, but yeah. This is a big deal (assuming that crashing an MSU SUV & leaving the scene is accurate)

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue May 16, 2023 10:17 pm

I actually don’t have too much of a problem with Mix. I get it. He tried to help his buddy out and grabbed the wrecked vehicle, his mistake was lying to the cops. Unfortunately for him, Housewright might have screwed up two careers.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue May 16, 2023 10:17 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 5:22 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:02 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 8:49 pm
Seems like not a lot of attorneys or HR staff on here. Are contracts thru end of June. I would expect if cases are resolved we see changes if guilty and if not then let go at end of contract. I am not sure there is anything else they can do.
Having a new coaching staff at the beginning of August, when the season is near starting, is less than ideal.
Gee, really? Great insight.
Thanks Greg! Appreciate your support!

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Tue May 16, 2023 10:30 pm

I have a Griz friend who is giving me holy hell over all of this.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue May 16, 2023 10:41 pm

aucat wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:30 pm
Yes, they are tattling to Leon, Vigen, and Waded on Twitter like the little brother they are.

That said, I mean what can we say, it’s a terrible look.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

justafan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by justafan » Wed May 17, 2023 7:38 am

aucat wrote:
can't blame them, I would do the same.....
CelticCat wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:41 pm
aucat wrote:
Yes, they are tattling to Leon, Vigen, and Waded on Twitter like the little brother they are.

I don'y do twitter but what do you mean they are tattling? pretty sure everyone knows about it already....

justafan

Post by justafan » Wed May 17, 2023 7:40 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:17 pm
I actually don’t have too much of a problem with Mix. I get it. He tried to help his buddy out and grabbed the wrecked vehicle, his mistake was lying to the cops. Unfortunately for him, Housewright might have screwed up two careers.
well he was driving with a suspended D/L so that was mistake number one (well actually number 2 as he had to do something to get suspended in the first place) and it went down hill from there. If he gets fired he has no one to blame but himself.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed May 17, 2023 8:35 am

justafan wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:38 am
aucat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
aucat wrote:

I don'y do twitter but what do you mean they are tattling? pretty sure everyone knows about it already....
Tagging them in Tweets.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

SparkCat

Post by SparkCat » Wed May 17, 2023 9:28 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:35 am
justafan wrote:
aucat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Tagging them in Tweets.
Extremely immature fanbase over there. I highly doubt it is because they care about our coaches driving drunk, they just want to internally rock the boat to create more distractions for our athletes and the coaches that have made good decisions. So, just acting like a children.

They are a still begrudged, that they got their PP’s slapped over the Johnson cover up that led to a nice book written about their university.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed May 17, 2023 9:38 am

SparkCat wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:28 am
CelticCat wrote:
justafan wrote:
aucat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Tagging them in Tweets.
Extremely immature fanbase over there. I highly doubt it is because they care about our coaches driving drunk, they just want to internally rock the boat to create more distractions for our athletes and the coaches that have made good decisions. So, just acting like a children.

They are a still begrudged, that they got their PP’s slapped over the Johnson cover up that led to a nice book written about their university.
I had a gris friend that's a smartass send a few texts so after ignoring a bit I texted back "remind me again which University in our great state has a tell all book about winning at all costs and also has games vacated by the NCAA due to infractions?" Haven't heard back. I'll let you know if I do. Not condoning it at all but glass house etc....

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed May 17, 2023 9:42 am

We’d be giving them ****** too. That don’t bother me.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed May 17, 2023 9:46 am

onceacat wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 9:24 pm
allcat wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:29 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:03 am
allcat wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:26 pm
onceacat wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:46 am
gtapp wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:35 am
onceacat wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:13 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:57 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:17 pm
MountainCat wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 4:11 pm

With Garza’s most recent DUI I was shocked when he wasn’t let go immediately but understood the legal process needed to play out. In my opinion he should have been let go by the University immediately once the legal end was finalized (if it has been). I’ve truly enjoyed Housewright and what he’s brought to MSU football the past few years. He made a mistake, a stupid one, and we’ve all made them and moved on. But, two coaches with DUI’s in 6 months? It’s absolutely unacceptable for this to be swept under the rug and I truly hope that Coach Vigen addresses this publicly somehow. The players and fans deserve that in my opinion.I’m as big of an MSU football fan and supporter as you’ll meet, but what kind of message is being sent here?!? Seriously, say what you want, but I put this at Vigens feet. These actions may not be his doing, but they could definitely be his un-doing! Vigen is ultimately responsible for setting the tone of the football program, how he approaches this situation could ultimately break him. The optics on this are terrible for MSU and the scrutiny that will be closely following is going to be deserved.
=D^ :goodpost:
Do all public employees deserve to lose their job for a DUI. Professors, the custodian staff, etc. My guess is they have to treat these coaches the same as they would others on campus. They are more in the public eye, but still under a contract.
Of course not. And they shouldn't. but they arent the public face of the university...they dont make the crazy high salaries that an OC makes, and they weren't driving an MSU issued vehicle.

No way an addict professor should get fired for this. No way Garza or House should be on the sidelines next fall.
"Crazy high salaries". Maybe at FBS schools but certainly not at the FCS level.
Relative to professors, custodians, support staff at MSU. MSU is known for how poorly it pays most staff. I dont recall exactly how much Housewright makes, but I'm reasonably sure its 20-30x what MSU pays adjuncts. At the salty old age of 33.
I would bet against that.
Adjucts make $1500 (give or take) per class. x2-3 classes per term, with 0 benefits. So, yeah, House with bonuses & benefits package is easily 20x.
You are comparing a very part time with a full time position. That's really just trying to cherry pick your stats. Complete apples and Oranges.
The post I was responding to was "Should professors lose their jobs for a DUI".

Many, maybe most professors are adjuncts. Even those who aren't are making maybe $50k at Houewrights age. And, obviously, arent acting as the public face of the university in things like press conferences, recruiting, etc.
Now you change your parameters. I don't care about the public face part, the problem for me is that he was in fact on the clock and using university equipment. If Waded crashed a university vehicle while drunk, I would advocate firing her. Garza should be pay a price, but I don't think he should be canned.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Wed May 17, 2023 10:18 am

Bobcat coaches anthem?

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed May 17, 2023 11:27 am

justafan wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:40 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
well he was driving with a suspended D/L so that was mistake number one (well actually number 2 as he had to do something to get suspended in the first place) and it went down hill from there. If he gets fired he has no one to blame but himself.
Someone at MSU, whether in Safety & Security, Human Resources, Athletics, or Administration has egg on their face for Mix. For any position that requires driving a vehicle, typically there is a requirement to have the appropriate, valid license. CDL, DL, whatever. Nobody checked.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed May 17, 2023 12:04 pm

The ‘don’t drink and drive’ videos on the new screen will be fantastic this season!

Hating the griz since 02.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed May 17, 2023 12:30 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 11:27 am
justafan wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Someone at MSU, whether in Safety & Security, Human Resources, Athletics, or Administration has egg on their face for Mix. For any position that requires driving a vehicle, typically there is a requirement to have the appropriate, valid license. CDL, DL, whatever. Nobody checked.
The car Mix is alleged to have been driving (or claimed to have been driving) is Housewright's courtesy car that was crashed. Mix wouldn't be in a high enough position as RB coach to have a courtesy car himself, so he'd be on his own in terms of transportation. I don't see how MSU would have any role in that.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed May 17, 2023 12:56 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:30 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 11:27 am
justafan wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
The car Mix is alleged to have been driving (or claimed to have been driving) is Housewright's courtesy car that was crashed. Mix wouldn't be in a high enough position as RB coach to have a courtesy car himself, so he'd be on his own in terms of transportation. I don't see how MSU would have any role in that.
Agree, and we don't know if they checked or not. May have, and was told couldn't drive. If they did allow him to drive a MSU or courtesy car that would not be a smart decision.

Sports is not bigger than life

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed May 17, 2023 2:06 pm

SparkCat wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:28 am
CelticCat wrote:
justafan wrote:
aucat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Tagging them in Tweets.

I'd argue it's WAY more immature for grown men coaches to put their drinking and driving ahead of their fellow coaches and players. That is the issue. Not anonymous message board posters giving us ****** about it. It's just a terrible look.

If you don't think we'd have the exact same comments here if the shoe were on the other foot you're not paying attention to our rivalry.