New Video Board out to bid

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CATCO
BobcatNation Letterman

New Video Board out to bid

Post by CATCO » Fri May 05, 2023 7:52 am

On the builders exchange this morning:

Replacement and upgrade of the MSU Bobcat Stadium Scoreboard and Video board. Work to include demolition of the existing scoreboard to be replaced with a new larger video board and scoreboard provided by Daktronics. Project will include installation of two new foundation footing with helical piers (8) total helical piers, (2) new steel columns to match the existing columns, new anchors and anchor rods supporting the existing columns, (4) new steel catwalk system, new ladder access to the catwalks, then new audio cabinets and catwalk roof on top of the scoreboard. Additionally the project will included new electrical elements to support the power requirements of the new video board.

CATCO
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: New Video Board out to bid

Post by CATCO » Fri May 05, 2023 8:00 am

102 feet long x 40 feet tall

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri May 05, 2023 8:14 am

CATCO wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:00 am
102 feet long x 40 feet tall
So much for tailgating on top of the BAC.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri May 05, 2023 8:17 am

Cool info! Thanks!

For reference does anyone know the size of our current board?

CATCO
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by CATCO » Fri May 05, 2023 8:25 am

No, but the old one had two pole bases, this one will have 4. They are reusing the original 2.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri May 05, 2023 8:30 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:17 am
Cool info! Thanks!

I think it is an 85" lcd.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Fri May 05, 2023 8:35 am

Holy crap that is going to look awesome!! For some reference here is an article and picture of the new video board in Missoula. It is 32 ft high and 55 ft wide. When you add the legnth of the two smaller screens it still 20 ft shorter in length then what our will be.

https://www.montanarightnow.com/sports/ ... 7b4d3.html

Gonna be huge!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri May 05, 2023 8:48 am

A football field is 160 feet wide. The numbers are 106 feet apart, so it'll basically go from the numbers to the numbers. That's really big. And I bet the BAC is only 30 feet tall.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri May 05, 2023 9:29 am

I found this photo on the Bobcat Facebook Page. IF the BAC is only 30 feet tall which seems reasonable to me, this video board is going to be a monster. But more than that, I think it will change the feel of the stadium in a big time way. So it will basically span from the numbers to the numbers and be a bit taller than the BAC.

Hating the griz since 02.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri May 05, 2023 9:34 am

Should be very nice. This is outstanding for an FCS school. Boise State has the largest video board in the Mountain West at 120' x 50'. So at 102' x 40' we are not too far behind and would probably have one of the larger boards in the MWC.

https://boisedev.com/news/2022/03/31/bo ... deo-board/

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri May 05, 2023 9:37 am

I'll admit, I'm not very savvy with the construction industry and timelines. This seems like a fairly small project, would this be completed in time for the 2023 season?

BlueAndGoldNation
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by BlueAndGoldNation » Fri May 05, 2023 10:07 am

I decided to quickly throw together a little size comparison based on the measurements and details given in the builders exchange. The difference is quite massive... as it was said earlier in this thread, there will be 4 steel columns in total, and they are going to reuse the 2 that are already there. The black box on the top of the scoreboard is the catwalk and roof that was mentioned. I have no idea how that will end up looking, I am just speculating, but this catwalk/roof seems as if it will be a semi-weather protected place for another cameraman or crew to be stationed on gameday. I feel that this is an overlooked aspect of this project that I am excited about. This catwalk camera nest would provide more quality angles of footage for the game such as the field goals taken in the Sonny Holland Endzone, or the all important replays for the pylon reaching, toe tapping, controversial plays that might come down to a review. These endzone cameras are also massively important for providing the team with quality, top-down film of games and practice in which they can playback, study, and get better. The audio cabinets that were mentioned also points to a better audio experience, which we all know is desperately needed. Overall, I am really excited to see how this officially takes shape! These improvements are MASSIVE!!!

Before

After
Last edited by BlueAndGoldNation on Sat May 06, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri May 05, 2023 10:25 am

Well, that seems a bit excessive. 8)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri May 05, 2023 10:35 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:25 am
Well, that seems a bit excessive. 8)
It almost seems too big.

Although now maybe my parents won't complain about not being able to see the plays on that end of the field. :lol:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri May 05, 2023 10:40 am

BlueAndGoldNation wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:07 am
I decided to quickly throw together a little size comparison based on the measurements and details given in the builders exchange. The difference is quite massive... as it was said earlier in this thread, there will be 4 steel columns in total, and they are going to reuse the 2 that are already there. The black box on the top of the scoreboard is the catwalk and roof that was mentioned. I have no idea how that will end up looking, I am just speculating, but this catwalk/roof seems as if it will be a semi-weather protected place for another cameraman or crew to be stationed on gameday. I feel that this is an overlooked aspect of this project that I am excited about. This catwalk camera nest would provide more quality angles of footage for the game such as the field goals taken in the Sonny Holland Endzone, or the all important replays for the pylon reaching, toe tapping, controversial plays that might come down to a review. These endzone cameras are also massively important for providing the team with quality, top-down film of games and practice in which they can playback, study, and get better. The audio cabinets that were mentioned also points to a better audio experience, which we all know is desperately needed. Overall, I am really excited to see how this officially takes shape! These improvements are MASSIVE!!!

Before

After
Boy, the BSC officials are really going to hate that display on reviews.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri May 05, 2023 10:52 am

Why not just show live video / audio from the Sonny Holland end zone? Will cause as many penalties and save the cost of building all that end zone seating. The students can then cheer on both ends of the field. 😆

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri May 05, 2023 11:38 am

CodyCat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:29 am
I found this photo on the Bobcat Facebook Page. IF the BAC is only 30 feet tall which seems reasonable to me, this video board is going to be a monster. But more than that, I think it will change the feel of the stadium in a big time way. So it will basically span from the numbers to the numbers and be a bit taller than the BAC.

I am expecting that the video board will be elevated above the BAC. The bottom of the board will above the roof of the BAC.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri May 05, 2023 12:13 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 10:52 am
Why not just show live video / audio from the Sonny Holland end zone? Will cause as many penalties and save the cost of building all that end zone seating. The students can then cheer on both ends of the field. 😆
Especially when they are kicking field goals that way. Or when the punter is trying to catch a snap.
Or multiple footballs being thrown when a receiver is looking for the ball......

Endless fun and games.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 05, 2023 2:07 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:34 am
Should be very nice. This is outstanding for an FCS school. Boise State has the largest video board in the Mountain West at 120' x 50'. So at 102' x 40' we are not too far behind and would probably have one of the larger boards in the MWC.

https://boisedev.com/news/2022/03/31/bo ... deo-board/
The BSU Melaleuca scoreboard. :lol:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri May 05, 2023 3:54 pm

gtapp wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:30 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:17 am
Cool info! Thanks!

I think it is an 85" lcd.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz