Noah Smith in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Noah Smith in portal

Post by ND0479 » Thu May 18, 2023 10:21 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:08 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:43 am
Days of developing a WR from start to finish is over?

That’s overreactive gobbledygook.
I’ll keep your statement as a receipt and I’ll keep tracking facts on my spreadsheet. Hard to argue facts. But let’s definitely revisit this.
I think it comes down to the staff that recruited these guys. The only guys left from the previous staff are Aidan Garrigan and Tayvian Williams. I don’t know why this position would be more affected than others but I agree that the coaches are far less likely to give a kid as much development time as they used to in the past. It’s just easier to go get a drop down to replace someone not ready yet. I hate it but I understand it.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 18, 2023 10:43 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I’ll keep your statement as a receipt and I’ll keep tracking facts on my spreadsheet. Hard to argue facts. But let’s definitely revisit this.
Speaking of keeping receipts, I’ve asked you before what transfer WR’s got starting jobs that shouldn’t have? You’ve insinuated it multiple times, but never voice actual facts. So yes, please, let us revisit this.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu May 18, 2023 10:46 am

ND0479 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:21 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I think it comes down to the staff that recruited these guys. The only guys left from the previous staff are Aidan Garrigan and Tayvian Williams. I don’t know why this position would be more affected than others but I agree that the coaches are far less likely to give a kid as much development time as they used to in the past. It’s just easier to go get a drop down to replace someone not ready yet. I hate it but I understand it.
Taco (full scholly), Zachary DG (PWO), Christian Anaya (full scholly), and Dylan Snynder (PWO) are the four WRs this current staff has recruited as true freshman. Dylan left because he saw the depth and talent ahead of him (his words not mine) and we need to keep in mind he was a PWO. The other three were identified and are currently developing really well with this staff. Add in the two WR's they threw scholarships at in 2023 they are really excited about and you have a good mix of young talent to develop in your program. I'm just not sure there is a problem here.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Thu May 18, 2023 10:58 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:46 am
ND0479 wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Taco (full scholly), Zachary DG (PWO), Christian Anaya (full scholly), and Dylan Snynder (PWO) are the four WRs this current staff has recruited as true freshman. Dylan left because he saw the depth and talent ahead of him (his words not mine) and we need to keep in mind he was a PWO. The other three were identified and are currently developing really well with this staff. Add in the two WR's they threw scholarships at in 2023 they are really excited about and you have a good mix of young talent to develop in your program. I'm just not sure there is a problem here.
Right. I’m not saying there’s a problem. Going back to last year’s players transferring out, you’ve had nearly the entire room change. J Smith, Brown, Monroe, Patterson, Gardner, Mullins, Snyder, N Smith and I might be missing a few. Various reasons why they left or were released but it’s been a revolving door. I just wish it was as consistent as the other position rooms. Again, it’s obviously not a problem as the transfers coming in have all been productive.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu May 18, 2023 11:17 am

ND0479 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:58 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:46 am
ND0479 wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Right. I’m not saying there’s a problem. Going back to last year’s players transferring out, you’ve had nearly the entire room change. J Smith, Brown, Monroe, Patterson, Gardner, Mullins, Snyder, N Smith and I might be missing a few. Various reasons why they left or were released but it’s been a revolving door. I just wish it was as consistent as the other position rooms. Again, it’s obviously not a problem as the transfers coming in have all been productive.
Also remember they have 2 or 3 more players for every position than typically get playing time. Some leave because they can't beat out guy ahead of them, or guy recruited that is coming in. If staff expects a guy to be ready in 2 years and they are not would you rather have a transfer they feel is ready or a freshman that they are gambling on again. Add in a new staff. But funny how it hasn't happened in TE group, or as much inRB room,

Sports is not bigger than life

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Thu May 18, 2023 11:38 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:43 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Speaking of keeping receipts, I’ve asked you before what transfer WR’s got starting jobs that shouldn’t have? You’ve insinuated it multiple times, but never voice actual facts. So yes, please, let us revisit this.
Obviously, reading isn’t a strong suit of yours because I have NEVER said any transfer starter should not be starting! Sure I have an opinion like anyone else, hell I may have even insinuated certain things but I have never said player X should not be starting.

I have said the new MO has been established since the creation of the portal. Which is, bring in transfers and make them starters. They did it last year and they will do it again this year and I see no stopping this MO.

Please read the next 3 point’s carefully.

1) MO had been established
2) The plan is working
3) The plan is easier on coaching staff for several reasons

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Thu May 18, 2023 12:04 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:53 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Christian Anaya is going to get starter reps often in the fall as a redshirt freshman. Noah Smith is likely transferring...because a PWO redshirt freshman in Zachary Dodson Green outplayed him this spring. Taco Dowler is one of our starting WRs. Would I have preferred as a fan to see Noah continue to compete and develop? Of course but you have to earn your spot and the narrative at FBS transfers are just given their spot is bogus as well. They come in, they compete, they win reps, and earn playing time just like all the other WRs.
I’ll address some of the players you mentioned…

Anaya: He is ready now. He was listed second on the depth chart entering the start of last season behind Willie P. He stayed #2 every game until a severe ankle injury sidelined him for the season heading into week 3. Heres my concern, will he contribute and get reps this year, sure. He probably won’t start or get the number of reps he has EARNED because the influx of transfers the coaching staff chose to bring in. Is that Anaya’s fault? Do you really think he will stay if this happens? If he is ready he should start, right? And if you doubt he is ready, ask Uddy or anyone on coaching staff what caliber of WR he is.

Taco: If healthy, the kid should start every game of his MSU career. There is no doubt in my mind he could have put up same numbers as those that started in front of him last year. Look them up! The numbers are not impressive and I think the experience would have payed huge dividends for Taco as well as the program as a whole in terms of recruiting. Plus he would have grown as a blocker in our scheme and would not have been a liability in that area as some think. We were absolutely bulling teams on the ground, we would have been fine with him starting and playing every game. Taco will stay here his whole career. He is a Montana kid.

Noah Smith: He is gone. Writing was on the wall when you add 3/4 WR via portal. Would he have gotten reps, probably. But what happens next spring when the coaching staff brings in more WR transfers. He might as well transfer and get the valuable reps needed to develop.

Garrigan: Very solid role player that can develop into a starting role by his Senior year IMO. However, I predict they will transfer in more WR’s and we won’t see that transpire. He will stay at MSU is whole career. Smart kid who seems to be focused on education just as much as football (absolutely nothing wrong w/ that)

Lastly, if you think starting is not guaranteed or heavily insinuated during the recruiting process of these transfers your simply fooling yourself…I’ll go ahead and guarantee it now. McCullouch, Alexander and CT will all start this Fall.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu May 18, 2023 12:48 pm

I mean it is what it is, coaches are always looking to out recruit their roster. It sucks but that's why overall I'm a fan of the portal.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu May 18, 2023 12:57 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 12:04 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Christian Anaya is going to get starter reps often in the fall as a redshirt freshman. Noah Smith is likely transferring...because a PWO redshirt freshman in Zachary Dodson Green outplayed him this spring. Taco Dowler is one of our starting WRs. Would I have preferred as a fan to see Noah continue to compete and develop? Of course but you have to earn your spot and the narrative at FBS transfers are just given their spot is bogus as well. They come in, they compete, they win reps, and earn playing time just like all the other WRs.

Anaya: He is ready now. He was listed second on the depth chart entering the start of last season behind Willie P. He stayed #2 every game until a severe ankle injury sidelined him for the season heading into week 3. Heres my concern, will he contribute and get reps this year, sure. He probably won’t start or get the number of reps he has EARNED because the influx of transfers the coaching staff chose to bring in. Is that Anaya’s fault? Do you really think he will stay if this happens? If he is ready he should start, right? And if you doubt he is ready, ask Uddy or anyone on coaching staff what caliber of WR he is.

Taco: If healthy, the kid should start every game of his MSU career. There is no doubt in my mind he could have put up same numbers as those that started in front of him last year. Look them up! The numbers are not impressive and I think the experience would have payed huge dividends for Taco as well as the program as a whole in terms of recruiting. Plus he would have grown as a blocker in our scheme and would not have been a liability in that area as some think. We were absolutely bulling teams on the ground, we would have been fine with him starting and playing every game. Taco will stay here his whole career. He is a Montana kid.

Noah Smith: He is gone. Writing was on the wall when you add 3/4 WR via portal. Would he have gotten reps, probably. But what happens next spring when the coaching staff brings in more WR transfers. He might as well transfer and get the valuable reps needed to develop.

Garrigan: Very solid role player that can develop into a starting role by his Senior year IMO. However, I predict they will transfer in more WR’s and we won’t see that transpire. He will stay at MSU is whole career. Smart kid who seems to be focused on education just as much as football (absolutely nothing wrong w/ that)

Lastly, if you think starting is not guaranteed or heavily insinuated during the recruiting process of these transfers your simply fooling yourself…I’ll go ahead and guarantee it now. McCullouch, Alexander and CT will all start this Fall.
You lost me. On the one hand you say the staff favors transfers and is committed to bringing them in. Then you use Anaya as an example and say to ask Udy and any one on staff how good he is. Don't those statements contradict.

Our RB room last year shows you need depth. But without injuries many of them would not have gotten touches. Same thing happens at WR but we didn't have near same # injuries at top level.

I am sure new staff has expectations of what they want out of certain positions. If they feel they don't have depth that can perform at that level in current room they will get transfers to fill that. With expectation on winning they didn't have time to wait 2 or 3 years and let a kid develop with playing time. They need to improve at practice. I believe if they do, the use of transfers there will drop,. I hate the portal but in current format it will be used to fill holes.

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Thu May 18, 2023 1:10 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 12:57 pm
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

You lost me. On the one hand you say the staff favors transfers and is committed to bringing them in. Then you use Anaya as an example and say to ask Udy and any one on staff how good he is. Don't those statements contradict.

Our RB room last year shows you need depth. But without injuries many of them would not have gotten touches. Same thing happens at WR but we didn't have near same # injuries at top level.

I am sure new staff has expectations of what they want out of certain positions. If they feel they don't have depth that can perform at that level in current room they will get transfers to fill that. With expectation on winning they didn't have time to wait 2 or 3 years and let a kid develop with playing time. They need to improve at practice. I believe if they do, the use of transfers there will drop,. I hate the portal but in current format it will be used to fill holes.
In terms of Anaya, they simply don’t have to use him yet. Thats a luxury the staff has. Its not a contradiction at all. I have never said the staff favors the transfers but I will say they do have to make sure it works out so they can sell the results to the next wave of transfers. Keep in mind the depth is not being added by transfers, the transfers are coming in and starting…pushing out the up and comers. Not necessarily saying the transfer shouldn’t start, although I do have some strong opinions in that regard for a certain one maybe 2 but thats not what my take is about.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 18, 2023 1:37 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

You seem to think that the transfers are guaranteed to start. Or at least that’s what it seems like you’re saying to me. I just can’t agree. I’ve yet to see anybody behind on the depth chart that I would say should be starting over the starters at WR. Know why those three will probably start? Because they, along with Taco, are the best WR’s on the roster. It’s not because they’re transfers, it’s because they’re good. Guaranteed? No. Earned? Yes.

I just don’t see how you can say Anaya has earned playing time, but you couldn’t say the same for the current starters. It’s a shot at those players to say they didn’t earn their spots.

I get that you want the HS recruits to end up playing more. I think it’s more fun to watch the players who have been here from start to finish to, but the game is about winning and losing. The coaches are here to bring in as much talent as possible, and that means they’re going to recruit over players that are already here. They’ve done that to HS recruits, and transfers. And there’s nothing wrong with it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu May 18, 2023 1:49 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 1:10 pm
tetoncat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

In terms of Anaya, they simply don’t have to use him yet. Thats a luxury the staff has. Its not a contradiction at all. I have never said the staff favors the transfers but I will say they do have to make sure it works out so they can sell the results to the next wave of transfers. Keep in mind the depth is not being added by transfers, the transfers are coming in and starting…pushing out the up and comers. Not necessarily saying the transfer shouldn’t start, although I do have some strong opinions in that regard for a certain one maybe 2 but thats not what my take is about.
You are worried about disenfranchising freshman and sophomores by bringing in older transfers? Sounds exactly like the primadona complex referred to earlier. Kids don’t get enough playing time early on so they transfer out. And opportunities that Taco and Anaya are getting in their first two years is completely contrary to your theory.

We are very fortunate that our coaches are out looking to improve the roster at every position. Taco may not see a snap next year due to his injury.

As an fyi, you sound like you have a personal vendetta on this subject. Maybe your personal feelings are preventing you from having a neutral take? Especially given that some of our most successful receivers in recent years have been with the program as freshman.

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Thu May 18, 2023 2:06 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 1:49 pm
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 1:10 pm
tetoncat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

You are worried about disenfranchising freshman and sophomores by bringing in older transfers? Sounds exactly like the primadona complex referred to earlier. Kids don’t get enough playing time early on so they transfer out. And opportunities that Taco and Anaya are getting in their first two years is completely contrary to your theory.

We are very fortunate that our coaches are out looking to improve the roster at every position. Taco may not see a snap next year due to his injury.

As an fyi, you sound like you have a personal vendetta on this subject. Maybe your personal feelings are preventing you from having a neutral take? Especially given that some of our most successful receivers in recent years have been with the program as freshman.
To me, the primadona mentality is referring to wanting/expecting something before it’s earned. I don’t see that with Taco or Anaya. They are both ready and earned what ever is coming their way and if not I predict changes will happen. It’s no different with adults in the professional world. They both just finished their 1st year so not to sure what your referring to regarding “their first two years”. I hope your just being optimistic. If so, I’m definitely on board!

Yes, Taco is out probably all of next year. Maybe back towards the end. Will definitely use redshirt year.

No personal vendetta at all. All the success stories your referring to was pre-portal. Im simply stating the new MO post invention of the portal. Again, the MO has been established, its working and it makes sense from a coaching staff perspective for several reason. Again, ITS WORKING!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu May 18, 2023 3:01 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:19 am
technoCat wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 8:28 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:10 pm
Hate to see it, but I understand. I was a Noah fan and thought he could develop into a contributor. However, the new model is in place (bring in FBS guys and make them automatic starters) and it’s what MSU will continue to do year after year IMO. Why not, its worked, right!

I said it a few months back that there would be more leaving the WR room and its happened…There will be more to come as well. I don’t like it, but I understand it. Its easier on coaches and over staff.
The only FBS starters I even remember over the last couple years are Thomas and Jonsen. McCutcheon/Kassis/Patterson were all in house guys that worked their way up.
Travis didn’t play wide receiver until he got to MSU. I don’t believe he ever started a game at Oregon as a QB.
Sorry, meant fbs drop downs that eventually started at wr for us.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu May 18, 2023 6:04 pm

No personal vendetta at all. All the success stories your referring to was pre-portal. Im simply stating the new MO post invention of the portal. Again, the MO has been established, its working and it makes sense from a coaching staff perspective for several reason. Again, ITS WORKING!

If it is working why do you keep bringing it up and referencing it causing the young guys to transfer. You also just claimed you never said the staff favored transfers but said several times they are guaranteed to start

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Thu May 18, 2023 6:20 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:04 pm

If it is working why do you keep bringing it up and referencing it causing the young guys to transfer. You also just claimed you never said the staff favored transfers but said several times they are guaranteed to start
Because I’m allowed to my opinion 🤷🏽‍♂️

Many others on this thread have questioned why the high transfers out of WR Room but not in TE or RB room so I was just giving my opinion why.

Yes, I guarantee they will start. Again thats my opinion. Don’t let it bother you man. Different opinions is what makes this forum so great. ✌🏼

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu May 18, 2023 7:14 pm

I’ll ask again.

Are they starting because they’re transfers or because they’re better? If you’re arguing the former, do you have any evidence to that argument?

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Thu May 18, 2023 7:26 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:14 pm
I’ll ask again.

Are they starting because they’re transfers or because they’re better? If you’re arguing the former, do you have any evidence to that argument?
They’re starting because they’re better but are you slowing the progress or development of the young guys by losing out on those reps? Probably a bit. Drop down transfers are almost always going to be better given they’ve spent so much time going against better competition and likely received better coaching. I think TUK is spot on and so are most other posters…it’s just the way it is and it’s more annoying to some people than others.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu May 18, 2023 8:30 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:26 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:14 pm
I’ll ask again.

They’re starting because they’re better but are you slowing the progress or development of the young guys by losing out on those reps? Probably a bit. Drop down transfers are almost always going to be better given they’ve spent so much time going against better competition and likely received better coaching. I think TUK is spot on and so are most other posters…it’s just the way it is and it’s more annoying to some people than others.
May I’m old-fashioned but I believe in playing the best player possible at each position because this program is about winning games. Blow teams out and get the back-ups and younger guys game experience in mop-up time. I see no evidence that transfers are just handed starting roles and you’re calling into question the integrity of the program if this is your belief.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Thu May 18, 2023 9:02 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:20 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:04 pm

Because I’m allowed to my opinion 🤷🏽‍♂️

Many others on this thread have questioned why the high transfers out of WR Room but not in TE or RB room so I was just giving my opinion why.

Yes, I guarantee they will start.
Again thats my opinion. Don’t let it bother you man. Different opinions is what makes this forum so great. ✌🏼
Wait a minute, are you stating that you are guaranteeing a tranfer will start as an opinion? That's factually wrong from a historical perspective, and recently, the only way Junior cracked the 1's for the Sonny Holland was because of injuries. Ironically, this includes an injury to a WR that we developed as a true freshman.