Bobcat needs your prayers

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatCop13
New Recruit

Bobcat needs your prayers

Post by CatCop13 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:45 am

A great Bobcat needs all your prayers now. Yesterday Bobcat rodeo great Caleb Berquist was in a serious accident. He was Life Flighted from the family ranch near Lacrosse WA to Spokane. He is heading in to surgery any minute now. His injuries are severe including crushed vertebrae in his back. I know this is a football forum, but the close relationship between the football and rodeo team makes this appropriate. Please keep Caleb and his family in your prayers.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Re: Bobcat needs your prayers

Post by tetoncat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:25 pm

Prayers up from this Bobcat.

Sports is not bigger than life

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:26 pm

Thanks for posting that, Prayers are up.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:51 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:26 pm
Thanks for posting that, Prayers are up.
Ditto!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:08 pm

News coming out of the operating room is not good. Caleb and his family definitely need prayers and friends.

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:59 am

kwcat wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:08 pm
News coming out of the operating room is not good. Caleb and his family definitely need prayers and friends.
Any update on how he’s doing?

CatCop13
New Recruit

Post by CatCop13 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:43 am

Surgery was long. They put rods in to support his spine. They decided to continue the surgery yesterday to repair his knee/leg. Said they were able to straighten his spine better than initially thought. Still a question of how badly damaged his spinal cord is and how much mobility he will regain.
Long, difficult road ahead. All prayers friends and support needed.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:34 am

CatCop13 wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:43 am
Surgery was long. They put rods in to support his spine. They decided to continue the surgery yesterday to repair his knee/leg. Said they were able to straighten his spine better than initially thought. Still a question of how badly damaged his spinal cord is and how much mobility he will regain.
Long, difficult road ahead. All prayers friends and support needed.
Thank you for this. [-o<

CatCop13
New Recruit

Post by CatCop13 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:04 pm

Update on his knee
Tore pretty much everything in his knee he could have, MCL, ACL, PCL, and patella. Plus some other injuries in his leg. They repaired the patella and MCL yesterday after his spine surgery. He will have another surgery to finish the rest of the repairs in a couple of weeks.

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:39 pm

Thanks for the updates.

Dbrewmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dbrewmsu » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:46 pm

πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ»

CatCop13
New Recruit

Post by CatCop13 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:47 pm

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:51 pm

Sports is not bigger than life

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:37 am

Good story! Thanks.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:00 am

That's awesome. Keep working hard, that's an inspiration to at least one fat guy with no real limitations to not take this all for granted.

Dbrewmsu
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dbrewmsu » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:42 am

Wow that's incredible. Kudos to Caleb. Very inspiring!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 am

That it awesome! But, it also ticks me off somewhat, hearing that some doctor told him he'd never walk again. I've heard similar stories over the years, "you'll be dead in 6 months" and 5 years later the person is still alive. Goes to show, sometimes they don't know schitt.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Au Blue
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Au Blue » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:57 pm

catatac wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 am
That it awesome! But, it also ticks me off somewhat, hearing that some doctor told him he'd never walk again. I've heard similar stories over the years, "you'll be dead in 6 months" and 5 years later the person is still alive. Goes to show, sometimes they don't know schitt.
I agree, but tend to think physicians are just protecting themselves. If a physician were to give any chance of a partial recovery, and it didn't happen, they would likely be sued. Just part of the litigious society we live in. Plus, I think it serves as a motivation for the patient to prove them wrong.

Anyway, what a remarkable story of recovery. Great job Caleb! Continue to prove them wrong!

cats_thirdeye
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by cats_thirdeye » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:55 pm

catatac wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:37 am
I am a physical therapist that works with patients after neurological injuries......strokes, brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, etc.

The neurological system is very difficult to assess recovery after injury acutely or sub-acuteley. Recovery is usually longer than musculoskeletal injuries and does not follow a structured healing process as MS injuries do. There are no guarantees on what you can recover. Complete SCI's are usually more easy to set a recovery prognosis, as there most likely won't be any return to function below the injury. There are sometimes surprises but it is rare.

That said, medical practitioners, myself included like to set expectations early for many reasons. Most educate on all of the possibilities to ensure patients are understanding, both for physical and mental recovery processes. Patients need to start working toward their new functional normal as soon as possible, as the first six months are the most important for optimizing outcomes. We also might use it as a motivation strategy, as we know some will only hear the "you will never walk again" as fuel, even if we educate all other possibilities. And I myself always want my patient to prove me wrong as Caleb has done.

All said, this story brought tears to my eyes. So happy for him and the opportunities he has been able to have gained back from his hard work and determination.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 pm

That's awesome. So awesome. Murphy is a very nice person and also for her I'm happy for his recovery. May it continue exponentially.