Spring ball thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Spring ball thread

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:27 am

https://twitter.com/ashleyjwashburn/sta ... 65505?s=21

Post your thoughts and insights on this thread.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring ball thread

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 am

#from Ashley Washburn: MSUBobcatsFB players that will not be participating in spring ball due to injuries from the fall/offseason surgeries:

DT Sebastian Valdez
TE Treyton Pickering
OL Jacob Kettels
DE David Alston
LB Nolan Askelson
DT Blake Hehl
RB Lane Sumner
QB Sean Chambers
RB Kaegun Williams

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:58 am

Position Battles - Defense

Safeties/NB -

For my breakdown of the safeties and NB position this spring, see here: https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 75#p819775

Linebacker -

Projected starters are Danny U and Nolan. Projected backups are McCade O'Reilly, Cole Bullock, Neil Daily, and Jace Fitzgerald. Other depth pieces include Ryan Krahe, Eli Aby (who I still think is going to compete at Nickel), and Zac Waible. The group to watch is the four projected backups. McCade will likely be the starter this spring alongside Danny but Cole was brought in to add thump in the middle and Neil/Jace should be ready to take the next step. Regardless, MSU has commonly had four LBs ready to go as starters since Bobby Daly has been the LB coach. He likes to rotate so if Nolan or Danny ever get injured (which they have every year they have been here), kids like Neil or Jace better be ready to play. Aby was listed as a LB for spring ball so it will be interesting to see where he fits. Krahe and Waible are both PWO players from last year but its always interesting to see development.

Defensive End -

We may just have an embarrassment of riches at this position headed into spring ball. Brody and Ben are likely the projected starters until we're told otherwise but Kenny Eiden really came on last year as a player that could supplant a starter like Ben. Seymour works his tail off and I believed played the 2nd most snaps on defense last year but that isn't exactly a great formula for success due to his skillset. Ben is a pass rusher and has a high motor so it would be great if they could move him into a more rotational role. The other member of the 4-man rotation is David Alston who has all the tools in the world to be a force at DE. Others who should push for playing time in 2023 include Hunter Parsons, Logan Frederickson, Zac Crews, and transfer Nick Korom. Other DE's on the roster include Jake Vigen (who has put on some pounds) and Luke Fedyk (a solid recruit out of Bozeman who has been ransacked with injuries his first two years). Of course I'm interested in watching the first four again this spring but way more intrigued by Parsons, Frederickson, and Crews. Parsons got a taste due to injuries last year and Frederickson added much needed weight to his long frame. Korom has some pass rush specialty to his game and Crews has put on roughly 25 lbs. since high school two years ago. Should be a fun group to watch this spring.

Defensive Tackle -

Sebastian Valdez and Blake Schmidt were the rocks in the middle last year with Paul Brott, Zack Black, and Blake Hehl rotating in. That shouldn't really change much in 2023 but Valdez and Hehl will be on the mend this spring. One kid who has a major opportunity to prove he belongs in the rotation is Ethan Abbott (6'5", 270 lbs.). He's lost some of the bad weight he brought to MSU from high school and he's had a year in the weight program under his belt. After Abbott, the only two other DTs listed on the spring roster are Jaren Perkins and transfer Ryland Swarthout (all 231 lbs. of him). In short, I really thought Brott and Black made HUGE strides during 2022 which was vital for the 2023 defense to be better than 2022. If a kid like Abbott proves he belongs, Blake Hehl may not have an automatic spot on the rotation anymore.

Corners -

Simeon Woodard returns as the only true corner with significant minutes from last year now that Dru Polidore as been moved to compete at FS with Tyson Pottenger. However, Devin Davis beat out James Campbell last year in fall camp prior to an injury right before the first game. Miles Jackson has been a special teams stalwart the past two years but now enters his junior season looking to earn a role on this defense. Jackson Harmon has the size but was very raw coming out of high school...has he made the next step coming into his sophomore season? Then you have a transfer in Blake Stillwell and a flashy redshirt freshman in Takhari Carr. Those six players make up the core competition at corner this spring prior to fall camp adding some freshman talent in Tayden Gray and Andrew Powdrel. Corner is a position that has proven to play early in college football if you can compete. Davis, Jackson, and Harmon are all long body types that should excel on the outside but I'm excited to see what Stillwell and Carr show this spring.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

JoeCatsJoe
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JoeCatsJoe » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:13 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:58 am
Position Battles - Defense

Safeties/NB -

For my breakdown of the safeties and NB position this spring, see here: https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 75#p819775

Linebacker -

Projected starters are Danny U and Nolan. Projected backups are McCade O'Reilly, Cole Bullock, Neil Daily, and Jace Fitzgerald. Other depth pieces include Ryan Krahe, Eli Aby (who I still think is going to compete at Nickel), and Zac Waible. The group to watch is the four projected backups. McCade will likely be the starter this spring alongside Danny but Cole was brought in to add thump in the middle and Neil/Jace should be ready to take the next step. Regardless, MSU has commonly had four LBs ready to go as starters since Bobby Daly has been the LB coach. He likes to rotate so if Nolan or Danny ever get injured (which they have every year they have been here), kids like Neil or Jace better be ready to play. Aby was listed as a LB for spring ball so it will be interesting to see where he fits. Krahe and Waible are both PWO players from last year but its always interesting to see development.

Defensive End -

We may just have an embarrassment of riches at this position headed into spring ball. Brody and Ben are likely the projected starters until we're told otherwise but Kenny Eiden really came on last year as a player that could supplant a starter like Ben. Seymour works his tail off and I believed played the 2nd most snaps on defense last year but that isn't exactly a great formula for success due to his skillset. Ben is a pass rusher and has a high motor so it would be great if they could move him into a more rotational role. The other member of the 4-man rotation is David Alston who has all the tools in the world to be a force at DE. Others who should push for playing time in 2023 include Hunter Parsons, Logan Frederickson, Zac Crews, and transfer Nick Korom. Other DE's on the roster include Jake Vigen (who has put on some pounds) and Luke Fedyk (a solid recruit out of Bozeman who has been ransacked with injuries his first two years). Of course I'm interested in watching the first four again this spring but way more intrigued by Parsons, Frederickson, and Crews. Parsons got a taste due to injuries last year and Frederickson added much needed weight to his long frame. Korom has some pass rush specialty to his game and Crews has put on roughly 25 lbs. since high school two years ago. Should be a fun group to watch this spring.

Defensive Tackle -

Sebastian Valdez and Blake Schmidt were the rocks in the middle last year with Paul Brott, Zack Black, and Blake Hehl rotating in. That shouldn't really change much in 2023 but Valdez and Hehl will be on the mend this spring. One kid who has a major opportunity to prove he belongs in the rotation is Ethan Abbott (6'5", 270 lbs.). He's lost some of the bad weight he brought to MSU from high school and he's had a year in the weight program under his belt. After Abbott, the only two other DTs listed on the spring roster are Jaren Perkins and transfer Ryland Swarthout (all 231 lbs. of him). In short, I really thought Brott and Black made HUGE strides during 2022 which was vital for the 2023 defense to be better than 2022. If a kid like Abbott proves he belongs, Blake Hehl may not have an automatic spot on the rotation anymore.

Corners -

Simeon Woodard returns as the only true corner with significant minutes from last year now that Dru Polidore as been moved to compete at FS with Tyson Pottenger. However, Devin Davis beat out James Campbell last year in fall camp prior to an injury right before the first game. Miles Jackson has been a special teams stalwart the past two years but now enters his junior season looking to earn a role on this defense. Jackson Harmon has the size but was very raw coming out of high school...has he made the next step coming into his sophomore season? Then you have a transfer in Blake Stillwell and a flashy redshirt freshman in Takhari Carr. Those six players make up the core competition at corner this spring prior to fall camp adding some freshman talent in Tayden Gray and Andrew Powdrel. Corner is a position that has proven to play early in college football if you can compete. Davis, Jackson, and Harmon are all long body types that should excel on the outside but I'm excited to see what Stillwell and Carr show this spring.
Man, I love your breakdowns. In another life, you would have made a good ESPN analyst. Secondary feels like a question mark. Some good talent, a lot of unproven dudes, a shoulder shrug as to whether they are good or not. Correct me if I’m wrong.

ECBobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ECBobcat » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:05 pm

I liked what Vigen had to say about the Crews situation. Seems they’re handling it well, and, most importantly, with open communication to all involved.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:30 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:47 am

Position Battles - Offense

Quarterback -

We know the two-headed monster we have in Big Cat/Little Cat (Sean/Tommy). When both healthy, its a fail on our offense to not score a touchdown every possession. They are that hard to defend. However, what happens when they get hurt? Obviously we found out last year things change quickly in terms of offensive production. The good news is we got to see some Sean Austin last year and I came away more impressed than I thought I'd be. He's a good passer and has some calmness to his game. He's obviously not the same athlete as Sean or Tommy and even younger guys in Jordan Reed or Chance Wilson. But Sean made strides last yaer...no doubt. Jordan Reed flashed in the spring and some on here were saying "Jordan Reed for President" but his season ended in fall camp due to injury. Make no mistake, Jordan has exciting tools as a dual-threat QB. He throws a great deep ball with good velocity but I'm unsure on his overall decision making because I just haven't seen him play a lot. Chance Wilson comes in as an early grad looking to compete right away. Some may assume that means competing with Jordan Reed and Sean Austin but if you remember the signing day presser last December, the local press from Owasso, Oklahoma believes Chance should get a chance to win the starting QB job. Love the enthusiasm but expectations usually get tempered once real college defensive bullets start flying. Then there is Luke Abshire who is likely playing for a spot on the team this spring.

Running Back -

Isaiah Ifanse gave the program five years of his life and walked away as the all-time leading rusher in program history. However, 2022 was the year Elijah Elliot stepped up and became a key cog in our offense. After falling behind Sumner and true freshman Jared White, Elliot was on the outside looking in but once injuries started piling up it became clear Elliot and Garrett Coon were going to have elevated roles last fall. The five backs we have on the roster right now are Sumner, Elliot, Coon, White, Kaegun Williams, and "WR" Marquis Johnson (who almost broke the single game rushing record against Cal Poly). Right now, I trust any of these guys with carrying the rock for MSU behind this offensive line and under Housewright's scheme. It's a productive group that is a year older, year faster, year stronger, and year BETTER. I don't think it will really matter who starts.

Wide Receiver -

Like safety, I did a large breakdown the receivers a while ago. Find it here: https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 94#p817694

However, wanted to note Vigen singled out Aidan Garrigan and Christian Anaya as two kids who waited in the wings last year who are ready to make a push for significant playing time. Clevan and Taco will start and have large roles. Our FBS transfers will be intriguing to watch this spring as Garrigan and Anaya will compete directly with them. I'll also be watching some other younger receivers in Noah Smith, Dylan Snyder, and Zach Dodson-Green with the latter two getting scout team props last fall. Ravi Alston was a tremendous blocker last year on the outside so these younger guys need to show they can get after it on the outside.

Tight End/Fullback -

Pickering will be sitting out the spring recovering from shoulder surgery. However, we know what he offers along with fellow senior Derryk Snell. This spring will be yet another opportunity for Ryan Lonergan to somehow earn more playing time in front of Snell or Pickering. The tough thing with Lonergan is that he has clear talent as a receiver as he caught a ball last year and juked out a safety with ease. I'd go as far to say he is the most talented receiving tight end we have but that isn't our offense and Pickering/Snell do so much dirty work really well that its hard to supplant them. But Ryan has definitely improved as a blocker, plays special teams, and ready to go if Pick or Snell go down (the fact neither of those two have really missed any time the past two years is insane for how much blocking they do). The next tier is made up of Elijah Reynolds and Rylan Schlepp who both are coming along nicely. Once Pickering and Snell graduate, we won't miss a step in 2024. Vigen has a mold with his tight ends as each of them are about 6'4", 240-245 lbs. Add in future freshman in Hunter Providence and Luke Smith and this group is set up for years.

Only fullback on the roster is redshirt freshman Max Murphy out of Billings West (who I liked a lot coming out of high school). However, I need to note we had a 1st team all-Big Sky FB last year named RJ Fitzg....sorry I meant Derryk Snell! But in all seriousness, if we have to use an H-back, Snell and Pickering have both lined up in the backfield and we actually may see a lot of Pickering/Lonergan at the LOS with Snell in the backfield this year. This whole post was a long way of me saying I think Lonergan is going to have an elevated role in this offense now that RJ is gone and we don't have a traditional fullback.

Offensive Line -

I've never seen this much tackle depth but here is the current group: Rush Reimer (presumed starter), Marcus Wehr (presumed starter), Jacob Kettels (starter ability), Titan Fleischmann (starter ability), and Conner Moore (quality depth). If any two of these players start this fall, we can still be competitive without really missing a beat. At guard, JT Reed, Cole Sain, and Omar Aigbedion return as a productive trio on the interior. And Justus Perkins returns at center with Holden Sampson backing him up. This is as strong of a 10-deep I've ever seen at MSU. Other young guys to provide competition are Aaron Richards, Tommy Nilson, Bear Old, Burke Mastel, and Jaden Perkins. I think the only thing the starting group needed to do was add more strength. We should have high expectations for this group in 2023.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:56 am

Obviously, the o-line feeds on the doubt people have in their abilities, so I’m keeping my belief/expectations of them very low. 8)

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:25 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:56 am
Obviously, the o-line feeds on the doubt people have in their abilities, so I’m keeping my belief/expectations of them very low. 8)
Pretty crazy what was being said at this time last year pre-spring ball to how they are viewed now. That whole "proving people wrong" thing is still the greatest motivator. I'm just amazed by the tackle depth which is usually harder to find at this level.

cat4lyf
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by cat4lyf » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:44 pm

ECBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:05 pm
I liked what Vigen had to say about the Crews situation. Seems they’re handling it well, and, most importantly, with open communication to all involved.
Agreed. Coach V is handling this like a true leader. He will use the Crews situation to unite the team. Coach V is turning this "apparent" weakness into a strength. So glad we have Coach V at the helm.

MSU alum
Inside Connections
Korner Klub
Tailgate guy
Family man

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:55 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:25 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:56 am
Pretty crazy what was being said at this time last year pre-spring ball to how they are viewed now. That whole "proving people wrong" thing is still the greatest motivator. I'm just amazed by the tackle depth which is usually harder to find at this level.
Any thoughts on the position coaching change here? Al Johnson looks on paper like a hell of a hire, but these guys grew up together and had success under Brian. I'm betting it will be just fine with the rest of the offensive staff intact.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:23 pm

Agree on the online being deep.
But I fully expect one or two of the ten to leave at the end of camp. Either retire or transfer portal. Please prove me wrong.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:49 pm

What do we think the chances are that one (or more) of the QBs leaves after spring between Abshire and whoever finishes lower between Austin and Reed? Would be nice if everyone stayed but the QB room is going to get crowded.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

JoeCatsJoe
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JoeCatsJoe » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:54 pm

Does anyone know what stage White is in his recovery? Vigen didn’t mention him in his presser that I recall, so I assume he’s good to go.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:56 pm

JoeCatsJoe wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:54 pm
Does anyone know what stage White is in his recovery? Vigen didn’t mention him in his presser that I recall, so I assume he’s good to go.
White was out of his walking boot by playoff time last year. He's fully healthy.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:55 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:47 am

Quarterback -

We know the two-headed monster we have in Big Cat/Little Cat (Sean/Tommy). When both healthy, its a fail on our offense to not score a touchdown every possession. They are that hard to defend. However, what happens when they get hurt? Obviously we found out last year things change quickly in terms of offensive production. The good news is we got to see some Sean Austin last year and I came away more impressed than I thought I'd be. He's a good passer and has some calmness to his game. He's obviously not the same athlete as Sean or Tommy and even younger guys in Jordan Reed or Chance Wilson. But Sean made strides last yaer...no doubt. Jordan Reed flashed in the spring and some on here were saying "Jordan Reed for President" but his season ended in fall camp due to injury. Make no mistake, Jordan has exciting tools as a dual-threat QB. He throws a great deep ball with good velocity but I'm unsure on his overall decision making because I just haven't seen him play a lot. Chance Wilson comes in as an early grad looking to compete right away. Some may assume that means competing with Jordan Reed and Sean Austin but if you remember the signing day presser last December, the local press from Owasso, Oklahoma believes Chance should get a chance to win the starting QB job. Love the enthusiasm but expectations usually get tempered once real college defensive bullets start flying. Then there is Luke Abshire who is likely playing for a spot on the team this spring.
Do you think that if TD Tommy or Chambers gets hurt during the season, we stick with one guy like we did at ewu (after TD Tommy went out) and against UC Davis? I think maybe these younger guys need to be ready to step into the double headed monster of MSU QB when called upon. The mantra of “if you have two, you have none” was thrown to the wayside by the 2022 team. We’re capable of winning with just one of those two QBs. Do you think that long term will be a dual QB system or will we move away from it after Chambers is gone?

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

JoeCatsJoe
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JoeCatsJoe » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:59 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:56 pm
JoeCatsJoe wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:54 pm
White was out of his walking boot by playoff time last year. He's fully healthy.
Awesome. Coaches seemed to think highly of him, can’t wait to see what he provides. Of course, we have like 7 guys who are capable back there, but he jumped up the depth chart last year before he got hurt.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:23 pm

Oh the lovely late winters of Bozeman. It looks like this crap will go on until May. IPF sure would be nice, for our hard working football team.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:34 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:55 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Quarterback -

Do you think that if TD Tommy or Chambers gets hurt during the season, we stick with one guy like we did at ewu (after TD Tommy went out) and against UC Davis? I think maybe these younger guys need to be ready to step into the double headed monster of MSU QB when called upon. The mantra of “if you have two, you have none” was thrown to the wayside by the 2022 team. We’re capable of winning with just one of those two QBs. Do you think that long term will be a dual QB system or will we move away from it after Chambers is gone?
Chambers gives us a unique situation. Ideally we go back to a traditional single QB system when he's done because it's unrealistic to believe we'll have two true QB1s on the team that work this well together going forward, especially that can be productive on the field at the same time. If we still use a 2QB system after Sean and Tommy are gone it's more likely to be the 2 QBs = No QBs situation just based on the history of football. We've got something really special that shouldn't be taken for granted.

We have probably the worst home schedule in school history this year. There are six games available to give the backups solid playing time, either on their own or as part of the combo package.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:48 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:34 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:55 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Quarterback -

Chambers gives us a unique situation. Ideally we go back to a traditional single QB system when he's done because it's unrealistic to believe we'll have two true QB1s on the team that work this well together going forward, especially that can be productive on the field at the same time. If we still use a 2QB system after Sean and Tommy are gone it's more likely to be the 2 QBs = No QBs situation just based on the history of football. We've got something really special that shouldn't be taken for granted.

We have probably the worst home schedule in school history this year. There are six games available to give the backups solid playing time, either on their own or as part of the combo package.
Yep, really lousy schedule. At the risk of sounding arrogant, the Bobcats better win all of their September and October home games by double digits. Probably also NAU. Definitely hitting up Brookings to see a competitive game in person this season, though we'll see how good Aaron Best is at rebuilding EWU...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: