Spring ball thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Spring ball thread

Post by Montanabob » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:59 pm

[/quote]
Yep, really lousy schedule. At the risk of sounding arrogant, the Bobcats better win all of their September and October home games by double digits. Probably also NAU. Definitely hitting up Brookings to see a competitive game in person this season, though we'll see how good Aaron Best is at rebuilding EWU...
[/quote]

Something we have not done in the last decade is get ahead and play second/third string.

Maybe this is the year.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:08 pm

Only a street bitch, complains about the schedule. We're the big swingin dick. Let the bitches, worry about us.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:06 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:48 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:34 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:55 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:47 am
Position Battles - Offense

Quarterback -

We know the two-headed monster we have in Big Cat/Little Cat (Sean/Tommy). When both healthy, its a fail on our offense to not score a touchdown every possession. They are that hard to defend. However, what happens when they get hurt? Obviously we found out last year things change quickly in terms of offensive production. The good news is we got to see some Sean Austin last year and I came away more impressed than I thought I'd be. He's a good passer and has some calmness to his game. He's obviously not the same athlete as Sean or Tommy and even younger guys in Jordan Reed or Chance Wilson. But Sean made strides last yaer...no doubt. Jordan Reed flashed in the spring and some on here were saying "Jordan Reed for President" but his season ended in fall camp due to injury. Make no mistake, Jordan has exciting tools as a dual-threat QB. He throws a great deep ball with good velocity but I'm unsure on his overall decision making because I just haven't seen him play a lot. Chance Wilson comes in as an early grad looking to compete right away. Some may assume that means competing with Jordan Reed and Sean Austin but if you remember the signing day presser last December, the local press from Owasso, Oklahoma believes Chance should get a chance to win the starting QB job. Love the enthusiasm but expectations usually get tempered once real college defensive bullets start flying. Then there is Luke Abshire who is likely playing for a spot on the team this spring.
Do you think that if TD Tommy or Chambers gets hurt during the season, we stick with one guy like we did at ewu (after TD Tommy went out) and against UC Davis? I think maybe these younger guys need to be ready to step into the double headed monster of MSU QB when called upon. The mantra of “if you have two, you have none” was thrown to the wayside by the 2022 team. We’re capable of winning with just one of those two QBs. Do you think that long term will be a dual QB system or will we move away from it after Chambers is gone?
Chambers gives us a unique situation. Ideally we go back to a traditional single QB system when he's done because it's unrealistic to believe we'll have two true QB1s on the team that work this well together going forward, especially that can be productive on the field at the same time. If we still use a 2QB system after Sean and Tommy are gone it's more likely to be the 2 QBs = No QBs situation just based on the history of football. We've got something really special that shouldn't be taken for granted.

We have probably the worst home schedule in school history this year. There are six games available to give the backups solid playing time, either on their own or as part of the combo package.
Yep, really lousy schedule. At the risk of sounding arrogant, the Bobcats better win all of their September and October home games by double digits. Probably also NAU. Definitely hitting up Brookings to see a competitive game in person this season, though we'll see how good Aaron Best is at rebuilding EWU...
I think EWU is done being relevant. They don't have the booster base or infrastructure to keep up. Not only with us, um, etc, but they're falling way behind the sac state/idaho types too. Maybe I'm wrong, but i think once Baldwin left and they missed on the qb lottery one year its going to be hard to get back.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:53 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:06 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:48 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:34 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:55 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:47 am
Position Battles - Offense

Quarterback -

We know the two-headed monster we have in Big Cat/Little Cat (Sean/Tommy). When both healthy, its a fail on our offense to not score a touchdown every possession. They are that hard to defend. However, what happens when they get hurt? Obviously we found out last year things change quickly in terms of offensive production. The good news is we got to see some Sean Austin last year and I came away more impressed than I thought I'd be. He's a good passer and has some calmness to his game. He's obviously not the same athlete as Sean or Tommy and even younger guys in Jordan Reed or Chance Wilson. But Sean made strides last yaer...no doubt. Jordan Reed flashed in the spring and some on here were saying "Jordan Reed for President" but his season ended in fall camp due to injury. Make no mistake, Jordan has exciting tools as a dual-threat QB. He throws a great deep ball with good velocity but I'm unsure on his overall decision making because I just haven't seen him play a lot. Chance Wilson comes in as an early grad looking to compete right away. Some may assume that means competing with Jordan Reed and Sean Austin but if you remember the signing day presser last December, the local press from Owasso, Oklahoma believes Chance should get a chance to win the starting QB job. Love the enthusiasm but expectations usually get tempered once real college defensive bullets start flying. Then there is Luke Abshire who is likely playing for a spot on the team this spring.
Do you think that if TD Tommy or Chambers gets hurt during the season, we stick with one guy like we did at ewu (after TD Tommy went out) and against UC Davis? I think maybe these younger guys need to be ready to step into the double headed monster of MSU QB when called upon. The mantra of “if you have two, you have none” was thrown to the wayside by the 2022 team. We’re capable of winning with just one of those two QBs. Do you think that long term will be a dual QB system or will we move away from it after Chambers is gone?
Chambers gives us a unique situation. Ideally we go back to a traditional single QB system when he's done because it's unrealistic to believe we'll have two true QB1s on the team that work this well together going forward, especially that can be productive on the field at the same time. If we still use a 2QB system after Sean and Tommy are gone it's more likely to be the 2 QBs = No QBs situation just based on the history of football. We've got something really special that shouldn't be taken for granted.

We have probably the worst home schedule in school history this year. There are six games available to give the backups solid playing time, either on their own or as part of the combo package.
I think EWU is done being relevant. They don't have the booster base or infrastructure to keep up. Not only with us, um, etc, but they're falling way behind the sac state/idaho types too. Maybe I'm wrong, but i think once Baldwin left and they missed on the qb lottery one year its going to be hard to get back.
Some of the nearby conference schools also realized they were allowed to recruit more than one WA player per year. Now that EWU has in-state recruit competition they aren't fairing so well.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:56 am

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:54 am

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:55 am

cat4lyf
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by cat4lyf » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:44 pm

Talked to a guy at the Cat's Paw a few days back. This guy is in the "know" regarding Bobcat football. Guy was telling me that this spring session will be much more physical then last years. Imho I do support this approach from the staff but injury is always a concern.

MSU alum
Inside Connections
Korner Klub
Tailgate guy
Family man

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:33 pm

I’m starting to enjoy Cat4’s generic sports points.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:36 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:33 pm

He cracks me up.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

JoeCatsJoe
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JoeCatsJoe » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:48 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:36 pm
ND0479 wrote:

He cracks me up.

B-but he mentioned the Cat’s Paw! He’s obviously legit.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:01 pm

cat4lyf wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:44 pm
Talked to a guy at the Cat's Paw a few days back. This guy is in the "know" regarding Bobcat football. Guy was telling me that this spring session will be much more physical then last years. Imho I do support this approach from the staff but injury is always a concern.
I heard the same thing. I'm a little concerned with coaches idea to only let the defense practice with helmets. I smell concussions. But, the offense will have all summer to recover. ](*,)

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:17 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:01 pm
cat4lyf wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:44 pm
I heard the same thing. I'm a little concerned with coaches idea to only let the defense practice with helmets. I smell concussions. But, the offense will have all summer to recover. ](*,)
Well, it seems that our offense is a little ahead of the defense right now in terms of development, so this would make sense. Might be the best way to slow down our 2-QB attack and gives us a chance to really see how tough our offensive players will be this season.

:wink:

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:18 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:36 pm
ND0479 wrote:

He cracks me up.

=D^

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:34 pm

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:25 pm

I hope the indoor practice facility can get finalized and built sooner than later…. Perfect example of why it is desperately needed.

Spring practice was canceled today due to the large snow fall.

Bozeman weather is just crazy (year round).

FTG- GO CATS GO!

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by RICO CAT » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:17 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:25 pm
I hope the indoor practice facility can get finalized and built sooner than later…. Perfect example of why it is desperately needed.

I’ll take snow over tornadoes and hurricanes anytime. I’m all for the indoor facility getting done ASAP.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:26 am

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:35 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:25 pm

I know there is a time window so a canceled practice doesn’t mean you lose that practice, but if the weather were to continue for an extended peroood, has the team ever held a Spring practice in the Fieldhouse?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:46 am

A pretty decent snowfall. Did it snow around the Townsend area? Could not find any traffic cams for Townsend/ Helena... At least on the site I found,

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.