Do you think Vigen will stay if he has another successful season? Or will he dip out like Neon Deon?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Do you think Vigen will stay if he has another successful season? Or will he dip out like Neon Deon?

Post by coloradocat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:22 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:52 pm
lutecat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:50 pm
kmax wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:01 pm
](*,) Jesus you guys are just a great welcoming committee. God forbid anyone new ever joins this board, better to just assume everyone is a troll even if they are being civil.
I mean the guy has one post. Still one post. And it's asking how long before the coaches leave. Can you blame people for being leary?
The responses were immediate, you guys would have claimed he was a troll if he started multiples at once. Yes I do blame people for being leary, it was an honest question. I wouldn’t blame someone for bugging out if it was these types of responses.
It's not like he's out there talking to every player and his family and constantly telling us how great he thinks Coach "V" is doing. Glad we don't have those types around here.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: Do you think Vigen will stay if he has another successful season? Or will he dip out like Neon Deon?

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:39 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:22 pm
kmax wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:52 pm
lutecat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:50 pm
kmax wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:01 pm
](*,) Jesus you guys are just a great welcoming committee. God forbid anyone new ever joins this board, better to just assume everyone is a troll even if they are being civil.
I mean the guy has one post. Still one post. And it's asking how long before the coaches leave. Can you blame people for being leary?
The responses were immediate, you guys would have claimed he was a troll if he started multiples at once. Yes I do blame people for being leary, it was an honest question. I wouldn’t blame someone for bugging out if it was these types of responses.
It's not like he's out there talking to every player and his family and constantly telling us how great he thinks Coach "V" is doing. Glad we don't have those types around here.
:lol: he's mostly harmless. Creepy, maybe, but still harmless.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:36 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pm
GeauxBobcats wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:21 am
On a side note, I graduated from LSU in 2011. Those 4 years were some of the best times of my life, especially on gamedays.... How's the tailgating around here???
Coming from LSU, I’d suggest you temper expectations.
Yeah, considering the fact that the official capacity of Bobcat Stadium is less than a fifth of Tiger Stadium, it's obviously different. My advice is, don't go making a big deal out of how you came from the SEC. Don't tell people how much smaller this is, because we know. You won't be the first person ever who came from a bigger place, and a lot of are tired of hearing about how it was done somewhere else...not just in football either. We have a lot of new people in this state, and some are great while some aren't. Even the nice ones love to point out that they're from somewhere else and that things are different here...even if they're complimentary. Contrary to what many newcomers believe, most of us have set foot outside of Montana and do know that there's a bigger world out there. My extended family is from SEC country and I've been to lots of SEC games. It's bigger, it's louder, it's better football. We all know it, and you'll get a lot of eye rolls if you try to educate us. Don't wear LSU gear to a Bobcat game. Don't ask if anybody's cooking an alligator, or grits, or etoufee, or gumbo. You're going to see a lot of burgers, dogs, whiskey, and beer. Alright, my rant is over. I think you're going to love it!

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:59 am

Honestly lifetime coaches seem to be a thing of the past. Yes Saban will retire after he's done at Bama but he started at Kent St and went to MSU and LSU, had a stint in the NFL before going to Alabama. Brian Kelly bounced from Notre Dame to go to LSU. Of the the top tier programs right now the only 'lifetime' coaches I can think of is Wittingham at Utah and Gundy at OKST and their top tier-ness is debatable.

There might be a few at the lower levels like Stieglmier at SDSU but he just retired. Farley has been at UNI for a while but they have been largely irrelevant along the same lines as um with Hauck and these 2 bring up another point. When you have a coach that is entrenched to that degree, to the point that they seem untouchable, its not a good thing for the University. For every Stig or Saban there are a few Farleys or Haucks (or Rob Ash to be fair). Guys that do enough to keep the job but won't make the change to get better. Give me a guy that will give you a solid 4-8 years and leave the program better than they found it.

Also I think what Sanders did, while good for the HBCs, wasn't really that good for Jackson. He wasn't there long enough to change the culture and mostly what was galvanized there was due to him, not the program. I don't think his success will translate at Colorado. It's one thing to get a bunch of 4 and 5 stars and play Alcorn St, its a whole different thing to play USC and Oregon who have those caliber of players themselves.

And I agree with most of the posters here. Vigen will only move on if a stable and favorable job becomes available to him. He won't jump for the SJSU or UNLV job. Maybe a P5 coordinator, maybe if his alma mater comes calling (gross), maybe Bohl retires at Wyoming. Otherwise I think he's here for a bit longer.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:45 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
GeauxBobcats wrote:
On a side note, I graduated from LSU in 2011. Those 4 years were some of the best times of my life, especially on gamedays.... How's the tailgating around here???
Welcome @GeauxBobcats. The most important tradition you need to learn is to just ignore anything from the mouth or keyboard of a gris (just ask) fan. You’ll find the tailgating to be very welcoming, entertaining and filling, although different than LSU — more elk, less shrimp.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:43 pm

I heard Vigen say "Money isn't everything" when discussing his lost coaches and the new ones. Not sure how much it reflected his own case.

2022 Finish The Grizzlies

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:19 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:39 am
I’ll give this a serious response.

I do not expect any HC to be a “lifer” here, nor would I want one to be. I firmly believe that results in complacency.

I expect Vigen and Sprinkle to eventually leave when a good, high paying job is offered. I expect both of them to be very selective and not just take the first job offered either. We’re an elite FCS school so we can hang on to coaches for a while, but we’re a stepping stone program as well, and shouldn’t expect otherwise.
I agree with expectations that Vigen and Sprinkle will move on. They both seem to be motivated to move up the coaching ladder and will deserve some higher level opportunities.

‘Lifer’ does not mean complacency and is highly dependent on the person, their character, life circumstances, personal motivations, life goals, organizational support, big dollar booster behavior, etc. Too many outstanding coaches out there that have been successful well beyond the complacency comment. I have observed the same thing among people I worked with across my career…….that enjoyed their lot in life and did it well for many many years. Guess you can argue what your definition of ‘lifer’ is…..perhaps you are a restless type and maybe 3 to 5 years is too long. But what about Selvig at UM…complacent after 30 years? How about Stiegelmeier at SDSU…complacent after 30 years? Gino at UCONN? Saban at Alabama (yeah admittedly probably a short timer)…complacent? Wooden at UCLA only won 10 NCAA championships in 12 years all at the end of his 27 year career at UCLA…complacent? VanDeveer still producing winners at the top of the NCAA and winningest women’s coach of all time with over 30 years at Stanford……complacent? Closer to home…Binford at 18 years…..team contending for a conference title or tourney title just about every year since at least the last 5 or 6 years when I’ve been around…..complacent?

Anyway, I agree with your comment the two mentioned will move on…..but if I found the right fit like those mentioned I’d take em anytime as long as they wanted to stay.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:32 am

GeauxBobcats wrote:
My wife and I just moved to Bozeman 3 months ago and we've become big supporters of the Bobcats...I'm excited to see some electrifying football this fall in Bobcat Stadium! College football has changed so much in the last 3 years, everyone leaves for more money or a better opportunity so often it's hard to build a dynasty in any sport anymore. Do you guys think Vigen will stay if he has another year like he did last year? And what about Sprinkle? I like to think he would stick around to try and get MSU their first win in March Madness but it's hard to tell with today's climate.

I'll lend my thoughts on each individual and their opportunities to move up the coaching food chain.

Coach Vigen comes from a great coaching tree and has established himself as a master at the A-gap power and the I-formation power run game. I attended the KSU-Alabama Sugar Bowl in your lovely town when Nick Satan's Tide curb stomped Klieman's Wildcats (it's no coincidence his new coordinators are philosophically aligned with Bohl, Klieman, Vigen, etc.). Bear in mind how upset many in Manhattan were when the KSU AD hired an FCS coach and realize Klieman would not have received an interview without that prior working relationship. Vigen's predecessor doubled his salary to become a position coach in Texass. I don't know Vigen, however, he does not strike me as one who would have the desire to become the next Dennis Erickson or Bobby Petrino and bounce from job to job chasing a dollar because of their lifestyle. Vigen seems well grounded and does not resemble Coach Prime in any shape or form. I believe as a former tight end, he avoided attention and were he to leave, it'll one day be a school in the midwest or possibly such as Oklahoma State. Stability. Listen to his press briefings. Disciplined. Organized.

Again, I don't know Sprinkle. Much younger than I am; however, he's in his mid-40s and can no longer be characterized as the next young, bright mind in basketball. He's been "home" for four years and that's an eternity in coaching unless your vision is to build a mid-major power. Many look at Few in Spokane but few realize his love for fly fishing. Specifically steelhead. Why the hell would Few leave Spokane? Why the hell would Sprinkle leave MSU? Both run the same old Big East physical game. Throw in the many years Sprinkle spent as an assistant in mid-major conference basketball and one would think the same stability the university president exhibits is mirrored in Sprinkle.

I believe both coaches are stable, well grounded individuals who don't seek the fame and notoriety of someone glory driven such as Prime Time (or your present LSU coach). There's a lot to be gleaned on an individual's personality and aspirations simply by the type of game their teams play.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:59 am

As a fan, your wish is that you always want successful coaches to stay as long as possible...or at least as long as they're still winning! In reality, that doesn't happen often at our level. In fact, you want our good, young coaches to move up to the next level - that's a sign of success. If bigger schools are poaching our coaches and offering more money, then the program has succeeded on a whole other level.

The program is in much better shape than many years before to weather the storm of coaching changes. A dynamic school president. A future-looking AD. Expanding facilities. Growing student population, and fan base. And of course, the victories on the field and the recent playoff runs. I would not be surprised if Vigen coaches another 2-3 years and then is snapped up by a bigger program. But like when Choate left, our administration was able to find the right candidate to keep the program moving forward, and I am confident they would be able to do the same once Vigen takes off.

As for Danny, that's a harder one to figure. I know he loves being back at his alma mater, and that he has brought the program back to relevance and dominance. Listen...when you're coaching a Big Sky team, you have to realize deep down that you're probably never winning an NCAA Big Dance tourney game. You can state that as a goal, but it's just usually never gonna happen. So you're mountain tops are winning regular season titles and BSC tournament titles. Danny has 1 regular season and 2 tournament titles. He is still very young at age 46 in the college b-ball coaching industry. He excelled at Northridge and is killing it at MSU. His name has to be a hot-stove name in the industry, and his call will come sooner rather than later to be called up to a more nationally prominent school.

We can all believe that are coaches are going nowhere just because they love the school and are having success. And in some cases, that is correct. But let's face it, money and cost of living IS an issue whether you like it or not. And you don't make a lot of money coaching at MSU, in the Big Sky, or FBS/mid-major schools at all. And throw in the fact that trying to afford living in Bozeman these days is next to impossible even with a good salary, it will be extremely difficult to keep these two talented coaches in Bozeman.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:24 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:59 am

We can all believe that are coaches are going nowhere just because they love the school and are having success. And in some cases, that is correct. But let's face it, money and cost of living IS an issue whether you like it or not. And you don't make a lot of money coaching at MSU, in the Big Sky, or FBS/mid-major schools at all. And throw in the fact that trying to afford living in Bozeman these days is next to impossible even with a good salary, it will be extremely difficult to keep these two talented coaches in Bozeman.
Fully agree with this for asst. coaches. Head coaches making $300,000/yr. Not so much.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:04 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:24 am
Camo_Cat wrote:

Fully agree with this for asst. coaches. Head coaches making $300,000/yr. Not so much.
But it is when a house in Bozeman costs 800K and you get offered the same salary to go to, I don't know lets say Ogden, and the same house costs 400K. Cost of Living is an issue in Bozeman, all around, if more money isn't poured into Salaries, Facilities, etc., we will slide backwards.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:14 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:04 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:24 am
Camo_Cat wrote:

But it is when a house in Bozeman costs 800K and you get offered the same salary to go to, I don't know lets say Ogden, and the same house costs 400K. Cost of Living is an issue in Bozeman, all around, if more money isn't poured into Salaries, Facilities, etc., we will slide backwards.
I don't disagree that more money is needed in the salary pools for everybody.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:51 am

I understand, for research, this is dated data:

https://www.k-state.edu/pa/data/faculty ... index.html

This, however, is telling:

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/n ... 6ad55.html

If MSU can continue to retain Dr. Cruzado at that salary, one would think the coaches would be pleasedwith their salaries. Who honestly thinks the cost of living in Bozeangeles is higher than a college town in the three left coast states?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardved ... xcellence/

Again, dated data. One ought to compare the Land Grant college salaries for an accurate assessment. As far as data sources, it's my understanding that prestigious school on the Clark's Fork is allowing Wikipedia in their dissertations now.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-c ... presidents

Anyway, who thinks Bozo is more expensive than any of the ****** hole college towns in Colorado? Greeley included as are Colorado Springs, Boulder or Fort Collins.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:15 am

FDU guy goes from DII to FDU, gets into tourney on technicality, wins 1 game preaches how it will help the program, gone 2 days later to Iona.

If Sprinkle did win one with is other success Sky is the limit.

Sports is not bigger than life

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:56 am

There is a nice article in ESPN online about the Princeton coach. It's worth looking up and understanding where I think both Vigen and Sprinkle are today. As I said earlier, I believe the committee that made these two hires looked for their dispositions, philosophy and overall demeanor. MSU has not done well with anything other than line up, smash them into submission line play (84 excepted but that offense was WAY ahead of it's time).

Now that there appears to be a reincarnation of the Roger Craft KSU type of basketball, I firmly believe Sprinkle is looking forward to building a mid-major power that will exceed any and all local yokel myopic expectations. Twenty years ago few saw Big Sky-Moonlight Basin and their influence becoming the norm for Gallatin County. I personally look forward to what the visionaries had in mind when the fieldhouse was built in the 50s. Sprinkle is MSU. (Wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Stu Starner's adaptations with Damako, Hampton and the Ferches running everybody out of the gym though).

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:15 pm

While I think both coaches will move up or on, I believe it will be for the "right" opportunity. Both are in good positions at MSU and won't jump at just any opportunity just for the money.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:28 am

800,000 home on a 300,000 salary (2.66 ratio) is not out of reason. I’m guessing everyone here who owns a home has/had a similar ratio. Mine was 2.86 house to gross annual salary when home loans were 8.5%. As stated, not good for assistant coaches. Or for most MSU faculty and staff.

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:20 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:45 am
GRIZFNZ wrote:
GeauxBobcats wrote:
Welcome @GeauxBobcats. The most important tradition you need to learn is to just ignore anything from the mouth or keyboard of a gris (just ask) fan. You’ll find the tailgating to be very welcoming, entertaining and filling, although different than LSU — more elk, less shrimp.
Apparently GeauxBobcats, nobody in Bozeman has heard of Chef Paul, Justin Wilson, John Folse or Leah Chase and it’s doubtful you’ll find jambalaya, gumbo, pistolettes, beignets or even a Natchitoches meat pie. Maybe you can learn em a thing or two.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:04 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:20 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:45 am
GRIZFNZ wrote:
GeauxBobcats wrote:
Apparently GeauxBobcats, nobody in Bozeman has heard of Chef Paul, Justin Wilson, John Folse or Leah Chase and it’s doubtful you’ll find jambalaya, gumbo, pistolettes, beignets or even a Natchitoches meat pie. Maybe you can learn em a thing or two.
And there you go! The first condescending post by a by-product of an elitist mindset, nevermind they have an unwarranted inflated sense of self-worth. Their biggest "fans" have absolutely no ties to that supposed (in their own minds) pillar of academic excellence. Many token Ivy League and left-coast pseudo institutions of "higher" learning. You know, Berkley, Stanford...

First response to your question is mocking your dialect. Welcome to Montana.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:52 am

GeauxBobcats wrote:
My wife and I just moved to Bozeman 3 months ago and we've become big supporters of the Bobcats...I'm excited to see some electrifying football this fall in Bobcat Stadium! College football has changed so much in the last 3 years, everyone leaves for more money or a better opportunity so often it's hard to build a dynasty in any sport anymore. Do you guys think Vigen will stay if he has another year like he did last year? And what about Sprinkle? I like to think he would stick around to try and get MSU their first win in March Madness but it's hard to tell with today's climate.

Welcome GeauxBobcats. Our family lived in Louisiana (Mandeville/Covington area) on three different occasions over my career. Oldest daughter graduated from LA Tech in Ruston. Suffered my first 10 lb weight gain just enjoying the great food while living there. Crawfish season is underway now I know. And I keep trying to find someone who can get me a couple sacks of oysters shipped in fresh (I’m a wimp because I prefer to charbroil them with a favorite sauce recipe…maybe Dragos?). And I miss frying up my specs and reds!

Anyway, PM me shortly before the season and we will host and welcome you at our tailgate (5 families but mostly old farts). FWIW, I usually made one game a year at Tiger stadium accompanying LSU friends. You’ll see a smaller version of tailgating just because of sheer size of stadium…..and the “groceries” won’t be the same….you won’t be able to make a drive through daiquiri shop on the way to game or home… and we don’t have as many fantastic Cajun cooks and cuisine! But hey you meet good people, good reverie, a welcoming crowd, good western style cuisine (might even catch a crowd cooking Rocky Mountain oysters sometime) and we DO IMBIBE in your favorite beverage of choice!! The tailgate lots are full and often crowded…I think you will enjoy.

Heck Rece Davis said Bozeman was his favorite ESPN Gameday site this past year! Welcome!