Do you think Vigen will stay if he has another successful season? Or will he dip out like Neon Deon?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GeauxBobcats
New Recruit

Do you think Vigen will stay if he has another successful season? Or will he dip out like Neon Deon?

Post by GeauxBobcats » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:21 am

My wife and I just moved to Bozeman 3 months ago and we've become big supporters of the Bobcats...I'm excited to see some electrifying football this fall in Bobcat Stadium! College football has changed so much in the last 3 years, everyone leaves for more money or a better opportunity so often it's hard to build a dynasty in any sport anymore. Do you guys think Vigen will stay if he has another year like he did last year? And what about Sprinkle? I like to think he would stick around to try and get MSU their first win in March Madness but it's hard to tell with today's climate.

On a side note, I graduated from LSU in 2011. Those 4 years were some of the best times of my life, especially on gamedays.... How's the tailgating around here???

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Do you think Vigen will stay if he has another successful season? Or will he dip out like Neon Deon?

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:06 am

Based on his career so far, Coach Vigen seems like someone who is happy to stay in one place for a while as opposed to those coaches who seem to move on to something new every 2-3 years. Until his move to MSU he had only coached for two schools in his career and both of those jobs were under the same head coach. So yes, I think he'll stay at MSU for a while even if he continues to have success and make deep playoff runs every year.

Coach Sprinkle I can see moving on in a shorter time frame, as he's already frequently mentioned as a candidate for bigger jobs and where there's smoke, there will likely eventually be fire. If the reports at the time were true, he was offered the job at San Diego last year but turned them down after he got a new contract at MSU. If a Pac-12 or MWC school were to come calling with a salary that doubles or triples (or more) what he makes at MSU, then I think he'd likely move on.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Do you think Vigen will stay if he has another successful season? Or will he dip out like Neon Deon?

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:08 am

GeauxBobcats wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:21 am
My wife and I just moved to Bozeman 3 months ago and we've become big supporters of the Bobcats...I'm excited to see some electrifying football this fall in Bobcat Stadium! College football has changed so much in the last 3 years, everyone leaves for more money or a better opportunity so often it's hard to build a dynasty in any sport anymore. Do you guys think Vigen will stay if he has another year like he did last year? And what about Sprinkle? I like to think he would stick around to try and get MSU their first win in March Madness but it's hard to tell with today's climate.

On a side note, I graduated from LSU in 2011. Those 4 years were some of the best times of my life, especially on gamedays.... How's the tailgating around here???

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:13 am

GeauxBobcats wrote:

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:36 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:13 am
GeauxBobcats wrote:

Perfect.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:39 am

I’ll give this a serious response.

I do not expect any HC to be a “lifer” here, nor would I want one to be. I firmly believe that results in complacency.

I expect Vigen and Sprinkle to eventually leave when a good, high paying job is offered. I expect both of them to be very selective and not just take the first job offered either. We’re an elite FCS school so we can hang on to coaches for a while, but we’re a stepping stone program as well, and shouldn’t expect otherwise.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:18 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:39 am
I’ll give this a serious response.

I do not expect any HC to be a “lifer” here, nor would I want one to be. I firmly believe that results in complacency.

I expect Vigen and Sprinkle to eventually leave when a good, high paying job is offered. I expect both of them to be very selective and not just take the first job offered either. We’re an elite FCS school so we can hang on to coaches for a while, but we’re a stepping stone program as well, and shouldn’t expect otherwise.
Thanks for posting this.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:47 pm

GeauxBobcats wrote:

The second question was overlooked so far.

The tailgating is awesome!!! Nuff said.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:01 pm

](*,) Jesus you guys are just a great welcoming committee. God forbid anyone new ever joins this board, better to just assume everyone is a troll even if they are being civil.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:03 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:13 am
GeauxBobcats wrote:

I’m in tears. Hahaha

Perfectly sums up everyone on this board anytime there is a new poster. Ha

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pm

kmax wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:01 pm
](*,) Jesus you guys are just a great welcoming committee. God forbid anyone new ever joins this board, better to just assume everyone is a troll even if they are being civil.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pm

GeauxBobcats wrote:
Coming from LSU, I’d suggest you temper expectations.

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:14 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:06 am
Based on his career so far, Coach Vigen seems like someone who is happy to stay in one place for a while as opposed to those coaches who seem to move on to something new every 2-3 years. Until his move to MSU he had only coached for two schools in his career and both of those jobs were under the same head coach. So yes, I think he'll stay at MSU for a while even if he continues to have success and make deep playoff runs every year.

Coach Sprinkle I can see moving on in a shorter time frame, as he's already frequently mentioned as a candidate for bigger jobs and where there's smoke, there will likely eventually be fire. If the reports at the time were true, he was offered the job at San Diego last year but turned them down after he got a new contract at MSU. If a Pac-12 or MWC school were to come calling with a salary that doubles or triples (or more) what he makes at MSU, then I think he'd likely move on.
I think these are both really good perspectives. Vigen's son is on the team too so you'd think he'd stay to see him through but that didn't happen with either Choate or Armstrong so that can't be counted on. I, for one, hope he stays at least until the Cats win the national championship as that's been his stated goal. And I just feel he will.

Sprinkle has a certain amount of loyalty for sure, and he's done a fantastic job. But money talks. Hard to see him staying too long.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:05 pm

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pm
GeauxBobcats wrote:

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:40 pm

GeauxBobcats wrote:

I think he'll stay awhile, but you have to think that if he wants his shot at a higher level he understands he'll probably have to take it inside 5 years. I think he's the real deal, i think we're lucky to have him here and i hope he stays and turns this thing into a true juggernaut.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:42 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:40 pm
GeauxBobcats wrote:

I think he'll stay awhile, but you have to think that if he wants his shot at a higher level he understands he'll probably have to take it inside 5 years. I think he's the real deal, i think we're lucky to have him here and i hope he stays and turns this thing into a true juggernaut.
Vigen 4 more years. Assistant coaches one or two before they leave. Enjoy.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:45 am

GRIZFNZ wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pm
GeauxBobcats wrote:
LSU has had kind of a sh!tshow on coaches lately, I mean, I liked the guy but cmon' coach O hitting on the assistant AD's wife, and then Brian Kelly :shrug:

and I don't even remember what the guy before Coach O did to get fired, (the grass eater)

Don't get me wrong, LSU is one of the few SEC teams I will cheer for.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:02 am

GeauxBobcats wrote:

No comment from me regarding the coaches....I never get it right anyway.

Regarding the tailgating; for FCS its fantastic. A good LSU grad friend of mine had my wife and I meet them in New Orleans....saw the town, Bourbon Street etc., then we traveled to Red Stick to watch the LSU/Bama game. I don't think I've ever seen so many beautiful women in one place in my life. The tailgating wrapped around that stadium everywhere you looked. The food!! The friendly people!! The game day atmosphere was unreal. I had perfect seats to watch the Tigers in overtime win by going for 2....that place might have given me permanent hearing loss. But so worth it. People were crying with joy and we were crying right along with them. Best sports experience of my life. I will say that the CAT/fizz game is pretty special but on a much smaller scale. Same vested emotions though. Oh and you'll freeze your nuts off.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:50 pm

kmax wrote:
I mean the guy has one post. Still one post. And it's asking how long before the coaches leave. Can you blame people for being leary?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:52 pm

lutecat wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:50 pm
kmax wrote:
I mean the guy has one post. Still one post. And it's asking how long before the coaches leave. Can you blame people for being leary?
The responses were immediate, you guys would have claimed he was a troll if he started multiples at once. Yes I do blame people for being leary, it was an honest question. I wouldn’t blame someone for bugging out if it was these types of responses.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon