Spring Roster

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Roster

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:14 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:01 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:54 pm
The MICKSTER wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:50 pm
catatac wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:25 pm
Also I noticed Kaegun Williams is still on the roster….. maybe I imagined it but I thought we retired? I might be thinking of someone else. Wasn’t he slated as the starter last year (due to Ifanse being out) before injury?
I think your correct.....I remember him going thru 'Senior Day' at the Brawl and thinking....he was a Bobcat for a year but never saw the field. I believe he came from SDSU (the one by the ocean)
Wasn't there a comment somewhere in December that he was looking to see if he got healthy enough to try and return for one more year?
Yeah, everyone thought it was over after the preseason diagnosis and then either right before or after the season ended the talk was that he was looking good enough to give it one last shot. I assume he'll still be on scholarship so there must be legitimate hope on all sides.
This was put out on Twitter February 2nd.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:23 pm

I'd like to take a stab at our Safety/Nickel Back depth chart heading into the spring. Obviously we have to replace Ty Okada and Jeffrey Manning Jr. next year. We got minutes from Kendric Bailey and Tyson Pottenger last year prior to Rylan Ortt returning from suspension. Other safeties or "defensive backs" on the current roster that fit the positions: Michael Armstrong (RFr.), Caden Dowler (RFr.), Aidan Parks (So.), Max Kimball (RFr.), Brock Steel (RFr.), Kade Cutler (RFr.), Mikey D'Amato (Fr.), JJ Dolan (Fr.), Colter Petre (Fr.), Taki Uluilakepa (Fr.). Dru Polidore has also changed his position from cornerback to free safety for the spring roster so I think they are going to give him a shot to compete for the starting job this spring. Eli Aby also changed from SS to LB but I'm not sure if that could mean a bigger Nickel?

The primary issue with our safety position last fall prior to Ortt coming back was limiting big plays specifically in the run game. Ortt gave up a few big plays in the pass game upon his return but he tightened that up quickly and provided a drastically different level of run support than what Bailey or Rhedi Short were offering. It freed up Ty Okada to do more in coverage as well as pressuring the QB. Jeffrey Manning played some of his best football the last few games of the season after a lackluster senior campaign. The entire defense then got whitewashed against a physically superior SDSU squad (who virtually all return in 2023 other than Tucker Kraft) but our safeties weren't the only unit that lost their matchup on that day. Regardless, Rylan Ortt is a major puzzle piece in our defense again for 2023 but...where will he play, SS or Nickel?

Hypothetically, let's say Ortt stays at SS, Bailey backs him up, and Polidore/Pottenger battles for FS. That leaves us with a wide open competition for the NB spot. If not Ortt, who could fill the role of that spot played so well by Okada? Well his backup last year was technically Level Price Jr. so he's an option but I'm not sure his size plays for all opponents we face. Intriguing names to keep an eye on: Aidan Parks, Caden Dowler, Eli Aby, Kade Cutler, and true frosh Mikey D'Amato. Aidan was ranked as my #2 recruit from the 2020 recruiting class as an OLB. Others from that class that played last year included Danny U, Sebastian Valdez, Rush Reimer, JT Reed, Tommy Mellott, Brody Grebe, Blake Glessner, Bryce Leighton, Devin Davis, Garrett Coon, Aidan Garrigan, McCade O'Reilly, and Miles Jackson. In other words its a VERY impressive class (even with all the departures from it like Charles Brown). Anyway, Aidan is a talented player but he is caught in the tweener status right now. His senior defensive tape was some of the best I've ever seen but it just hasn't translated to the next level yet. However, I still think he has a shot to earn more time if he can carve out a niche at NB. Caden Dowler may push a guy like Bailey out of the #2 spot at SS or even push for starting honors if his development continues to take off and Ortt moves to NB full time. Eli Aby intrigues me simply because I like kids who switch positions to earn more playing time. Not sure if his move to "LB" buries him on that depth chart or moves him into competition for NB but regardless he's someone to watch this spring. Kade Cutler is just a kid I could see mixing it up at the LOS and he's put on good strength the past few years. And who doesn't want to see surprise signee Mikey D'Amato come in this fall and blow the doors off the place!

Anyway, I think we have a ton of competition to choose from so may the best few players shine by the time spring camp closes!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:05 pm

I thought Jackson Harmon might fit in better as a safety, but I haven't heard anything about his development. Vim, what do you know about Jackson?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:21 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:23 pm
I'd like to take a stab at our Safety/Nickel Back depth chart heading into the spring. Obviously we have to replace Ty Okada and Jeffrey Manning Jr. next year. We got minutes from Kendric Bailey and Tyson Pottenger last year prior to Rylan Ortt returning from suspension. Other safeties or "defensive backs" on the current roster that fit the positions: Michael Armstrong (RFr.), Caden Dowler (RFr.), Aidan Parks (So.), Max Kimball (RFr.), Brock Steel (RFr.), Kade Cutler (RFr.), Mikey D'Amato (Fr.), JJ Dolan (Fr.), Colter Petre (Fr.), Taki Uluilakepa (Fr.). Dru Polidore has also changed his position from cornerback to free safety for the spring roster so I think they are going to give him a shot to compete for the starting job this spring. Eli Aby also changed from SS to LB but I'm not sure if that could mean a bigger Nickel?

The primary issue with our safety position last fall prior to Ortt coming back was limiting big plays specifically in the run game. Ortt gave up a few big plays in the pass game upon his return but he tightened that up quickly and provided a drastically different level of run support than what Bailey or Rhedi Short were offering. It freed up Ty Okada to do more in coverage as well as pressuring the QB. Jeffrey Manning played some of his best football the last few games of the season after a lackluster senior campaign. The entire defense then got whitewashed against a physically superior SDSU squad (who virtually all return in 2023 other than Tucker Kraft) but our safeties weren't the only unit that lost their matchup on that day. Regardless, Rylan Ortt is a major puzzle piece in our defense again for 2023 but...where will he play, SS or Nickel?

Hypothetically, let's say Ortt stays at SS, Bailey backs him up, and Polidore/Pottenger battles for FS. That leaves us with a wide open competition for the NB spot. If not Ortt, who could fill the role of that spot played so well by Okada? Well his backup last year was technically Level Price Jr. so he's an option but I'm not sure his size plays for all opponents we face. Intriguing names to keep an eye on: Aidan Parks, Caden Dowler, Eli Aby, Kade Cutler, and true frosh Mikey D'Amato. Aidan was ranked as my #2 recruit from the 2020 recruiting class as an OLB. Others from that class that played last year included Danny U, Sebastian Valdez, Rush Reimer, JT Reed, Tommy Mellott, Brody Grebe, Blake Glessner, Bryce Leighton, Devin Davis, Garrett Coon, Aidan Garrigan, McCade O'Reilly, and Miles Jackson. In other words its a VERY impressive class (even with all the departures from it like Charles Brown). Anyway, Aidan is a talented player but he is caught in the tweener status right now. His senior defensive tape was some of the best I've ever seen but it just hasn't translated to the next level yet. However, I still think he has a shot to earn more time if he can carve out a niche at NB. Caden Dowler may push a guy like Bailey out of the #2 spot at SS or even push for starting honors if his development continues to take off and Ortt moves to NB full time. Eli Aby intrigues me simply because I like kids who switch positions to earn more playing time. Not sure if his move to "LB" buries him on that depth chart or moves him into competition for NB but regardless he's someone to watch this spring. Kade Cutler is just a kid I could see mixing it up at the LOS and he's put on good strength the past few years. And who doesn't want to see surprise signee Mikey D'Amato come in this fall and blow the doors off the place!

Anyway, I think we have a ton of competition to choose from so may the best few players shine by the time spring camp closes!
Where does Blake Stillwell project? I thought he would likely compete at one of the safety spots.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:49 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

I think the Cats could be better this year than last year and we will be healthier this year against SDSU since it is our second game. My fear is we have not closed the gap on them at the line of scrimmage.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:27 pm

1984champ wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:21 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Where does Blake Stillwell project? I thought he would likely compete at one of the safety spots.
I'm projecting Jackson Harmon and Stillwell to compete at corner.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:18 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
a physically superior SDSU squad (who virtually all return in 2023 other than Tucker Kraft)
I know you’re just talking players and I’m not a big ‘gonna go through some growing pains with a new coach’ guy, but in this case it may be something to keep an eye on.

As for the DBs, nice breakdown, I think Parks is going to make a good strong safety. I won’t rule out Aby or Dowler. I also won’t rule out Ortt at nickel is that’s a necessity.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 am

Just looking through this at first glance, I'm more concerned about our linebackers than maybe any other group. Do we expect Askelson to be ready? Not much depth behind him and Danny. I know McCade O'Reilly played some last year but we just feel awfully thin there to me.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:33 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:33 am
Just looking through this at first glance, I'm more concerned about our linebackers than maybe any other group. Do we expect Askelson to be ready? Not much depth behind him and Danny. I know McCade O'Reilly played some last year but we just feel awfully thin there to me.
I wasn’t expecting Askelson to play this year, but from the sounds of it he’s not only going to play but he’s going to start. That’s a huge boost. He and Uluilakepa are one of the best linebacker tandems in the league.

Depth-wise MSU only rotated one linebacker in with the starters on a steady, consistent basis last year. That’s the position that needs to be filled. McCade O’Reilly looked really good there. Cole Bullock, https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 5857d.html the JC transfer, sounds like a guy that got missed on coming out of high school due to Covid. I also like Neil Daily out of Billings. Jace Fitzgerald is another and I see Eli Aby is listed as a LB now.

MSU, in general, has had great depth for the past few seasons. The main issue has been holes at the top. When Ortt was out there were issues in the secondary but after he got a few games under his belt things cleaned up considerably and interestingly everyone/backups started to play better.

MSU’s practice method is a proven commodity in building depth.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:50 am

I want to see how fast Dolan, Gray and Danny's brother can be developed and contribute. In the mean time, I'll watch this a few times and not second guess the coaching staff:

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:47 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:18 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
a physically superior SDSU squad (who virtually all return in 2023 other than Tucker Kraft)
I know you’re just talking players and I’m not a big ‘gonna go through some growing pains with a new coach’ guy, but in this case it may be something to keep an eye on.

As for the DBs, nice breakdown, I think Parks is going to make a good strong safety. I won’t rule out Aby or Dowler. I also won’t rule out Ortt at nickel is that’s a necessity.
I think if Ortt moves to Nickel full-time, the SS competition comes down to Bailey, Dowler, Parks, and Cutler.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:21 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:47 am
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I think if Ortt moves to Nickel full-time, the SS competition comes down to Bailey, Dowler, Parks, and Cutler.
Where does Ortt have more value, SS or Nickel, to get the defense positioned? SS? As noted, even with Okada at Nickel, the whole back end got better after Ortt got up to speed. Who else has that on-field leadership potential?

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:21 am

VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Any thoughts on a favorite in that situation? I've heard that Dowler has come on like crazy in the latter half of last year and continues to do so now.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:24 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:21 am
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Any thoughts on a favorite in that situation? I've heard that Dowler has come on like crazy in the latter half of last year and continues to do so now.
Yeah the Caden Dowler train may not stop for nobody. I still am curious if Parks can find a spot. Bailey will also keep getting better as he improved in the run game as the year went on. I just think Dowler is a gamer.

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:29 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:24 am
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:21 am
VimSince03 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Yeah the Caden Dowler train may not stop for nobody. I still am curious if Parks can find a spot. Bailey will also keep getting better as he improved in the run game as the year went on. I just think Dowler is a gamer.
What a huge get the Dowler twins have been. Taco's game speaks for himself and even if Caden doesn't get a spot in the secondary this year, he's an animal on special teams. If it's true the Griz didn't offer Caden anything, that would be quite the coup for us

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:33 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:50 am
I want to see how fast Dolan, Gray and Danny's brother can be developed and contribute. In the mean time, I'll watch this a few times and not second guess the coaching staff:

Damm you Cat Grad. I was trying to be productive today knowing that will taper off the next two days due to March Madness. :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:52 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:33 am
Cat Grad wrote:

Damm you Cat Grad. I was trying to be productive today knowing that will taper off the next two days due to March Madness. :lol:
Have a blast! Meanwhile, read this bit of useless trivia. I told my KSU fans who agree with Huggins to get ready as the Big 12 will soon have BYU in their conference. Just like the many miracles that Notre Dame used to enjoy when I was young and all those great games the team that plays in uncle denny's sandbox on the Clark's Fork somehow wound up with more points than whomever ventured there...

https://www.si.com/college/westvirginia ... -dominance

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:45 pm

Cat Grad wrote:

That first drive...

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:47 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:33 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
I wasn’t expecting Askelson to play this year, but from the sounds of it he’s not only going to play but he’s going to start. That’s a huge boost. He and Uluilakepa are one of the best linebacker tandems in the league.

Depth-wise MSU only rotated one linebacker in with the starters on a steady, consistent basis last year. That’s the position that needs to be filled. McCade O’Reilly looked really good there. Cole Bullock, https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 5857d.html the JC transfer, sounds like a guy that got missed on coming out of high school due to Covid. I also like Neil Daily out of Billings. Jace Fitzgerald is another and I see Eli Aby is listed as a LB now.

MSU, in general, has had great depth for the past few seasons. The main issue has been holes at the top. When Ortt was out there were issues in the secondary but after he got a few games under his belt things cleaned up considerably and interestingly everyone/backups started to play better.

I think the depth of our Linebackers will be a story line to watch as the season moves. I've always said, guys who get hurt tend to get hurt. Askelson and Uluilakepa fit that narrative. No doubt I hope to be wrong, but to expect those two to hold down the middle is unreasonable.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:57 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:47 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:33 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:

I think the depth of our Linebackers will be a story line to watch as the season moves. I've always said, guys who get hurt tend to get hurt. Askelson and Uluilakepa fit that narrative. No doubt I hope to be wrong, but to expect those two to hold down the middle is unreasonable.
Agreed. McCade O'Reilly and Cole Bullock should provide quality depth but two sophomores that need to take the next step are Neil Daily and Jace Fitzgerald. If they can provide competition to McCade and Cole, we'll be in a good spot.