Board of Regents...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Board of Regents...

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:18 am

How much money have we wasted on architectural plans that never pan out? I have seen 25 different ideas for our stadium and surrounding buildings in the last 25 years and I don’t think one has been close to what we had designed. Will be interesting to see what, where and when we get any of this stuff. These next few years will be absolutely crucial in the future of our program.

Punters are people too!!

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:27 am

RICO CAT wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:14 am
I wonder what will become of the one being replaced. Perhaps donated to another program?
It sure would be nice to replace the south end zone scoreboard with that video screen. I'm not sure it is possible due to structure issues but having one at both end zones would be cool. Maybe use the $ from the sale of the old one would warrant some sort of upgrade on that end. :-k

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:34 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:27 am
RICO CAT wrote:
I wonder what will become of the one being replaced. Perhaps donated to another program?
It sure would be nice to replace the south end zone scoreboard with that video screen. I'm not sure it is possible due to structure issues but having one at both end zones would be cool. Maybe use the $ from the sale of the old one would warrant some sort of upgrade on that end. :-k
I asked if they were going to put the old scoreboard in the south end zone and they said the were not. I think the scoreboard has seen better days and, technology-wise, has outlived its usefulness.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:08 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:18 am
How much money have we wasted on architectural plans that never pan out? I have seen 25 different ideas for our stadium and surrounding buildings in the last 25 years and I don’t think one has been close to what we had designed. Will be interesting to see what, where and when we get any of this stuff. These next few years will be absolutely crucial in the future of our program.
Artistic renderings are crucial to any fundraising campaign for facilities. The money isn't wasted if the final product doesn't look identical to what was shown in the original plans.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:51 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:34 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:27 am
RICO CAT wrote:
I asked if they were going to put the old scoreboard in the south end zone and they said the were not. I think the scoreboard has seen better days and, technology-wise, has outlived its usefulness.
Not surprising, it is getting old. I guess a new south end scoreboard will have to go on the Wishlist with the East side renovation a ways down the road.
I am really looking forward to the new system this year however, a much needed improvement. IPF next, upwards and onward...Go Cats!

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:56 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:08 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Artistic renderings are crucial to any fundraising campaign for facilities. The money isn't wasted if the final product doesn't look identical to what was shown in the original plans.
That sounds like you're saying false advertising isn't wasted if you can sell the product.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:08 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:56 pm
MSU01 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
That sounds like you're saying false advertising isn't wasted if you can sell the product.
I don't know, how many BAC donors demanded their money back because the final building looked slightly different than what was in the original facilities plan?

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:07 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:08 pm
coloradocat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
I don't know, how many BAC donors demanded their money back because the final building looked slightly different than what was in the original facilities plan?
I guess what I am getting at is that there seems to always be a lot of hype with what they first put out, only to switch it up several times and build something that seems a little less then what created the hype in the first place. I will never be disappointed that we are building and upgrading our facilities. Sometimes I just think they should stick to what the original plan is/was.

Punters are people too!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:46 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:07 pm
MSU01 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
I guess what I am getting at is that there seems to always be a lot of hype with what they first put out, only to switch it up several times and build something that seems a little less then what created the hype in the first place. I will never be disappointed that we are building and upgrading our facilities. Sometimes I just think they should stick to what the original plan is/was.
It's always going to be a balancing act between time and money - is it better to build a scaled back version of the IPF now or wait 10 years and build the original version once the additional funding (hopefully) becomes available?

It's great for fans to have shiny new buildings to look at, but what's really important is if it gives the MSU athletic programs what they need to continue their unprecedented recent run of success into the future both short-term and long-term. If football is concerned about losing out on potential recruits by not having an IPF while many of its rivals now do have one, then it would seem an unwise decision to wait for more money that might never come or might come much more slowly than we'd like.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:36 am

GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
I think it's a way to test the waters. Eweu keeps putting out a stadium upgrade but nothing gets built.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:41 am

Renderings always look better than photos, which always look worse than seeing in person.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:13 am

GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
It seems like the process between the plan and the execution takes so many years that the construction costs go up and the facility is scaled back. It seems that some forward-looking financial analysis could help. “We want to build an IPF starting in four years, and at that time, here’s what it will cost. We will invest all donations as soon as they are received so we only need to collect (something like 85%) of that amount.” At any time when the donations + investments exceed the current construction cost (3 years or whenever) then start building. I really sort of slogged through Engineering Economics, and homework problems like these, at the time, but it has its uses.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:29 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:13 am
GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
It seems like the process between the plan and the execution takes so many years that the construction costs go up and the facility is scaled back. It seems that some forward-looking financial analysis could help. “We want to build an IPF starting in four years, and at that time, here’s what it will cost. We will invest all donations as soon as they are received so we only need to collect (something like 85%) of that amount.” At any time when the donations + investments exceed the current construction cost (3 years or whenever) then start building. I really sort of slogged through Engineering Economics, and homework problems like these, at the time, but it has its uses.
In what ways were the BAC and End Zone projects scaled back. Exteriory, the end zone, IMHO, looks better than what I expected. The only thing I don't like about the outer look of the BAC is the side facing the stadium, but that's going to be covered up by end zone seating someday, so it doesn't really matter.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:36 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:29 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:13 am
GoCats18 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
In what ways were the BAC and End Zone projects scaled back. Exteriory, the end zone, IMHO, looks better than what I expected. The only thing I don't like about the outer look of the BAC is the side facing the stadium, but that's going to be covered up by end zone seating someday, so it doesn't really matter.
I agree, but as far as I can tell, just the bottom half of the BAC will be covered by any future end zone seating. The window portion will still be visible and I don’t think it will look bad at all. The key will be what they do with the East grandstands. Once the East stands are done and BAC end zone is completed, the stadium will look pretty sweet.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

joe_montana_state
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by joe_montana_state » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:26 pm

I always thought the plan was to put the new video board on top of the BAC and demo the columns. Seems like they will be in the way when the seating goes in. It would look a lot cleaner too in my opinion.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:17 pm

joe_montana_state wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:26 pm
I always thought the plan was to put the new video board on top of the BAC and demo the columns. Seems like they will be in the way when the seating goes in. It would look a lot cleaner too in my opinion.
I still want the premium tailgate section on top of the bac! Have the new recruits go from the back to the rooftop tailgate.
Last edited by Montanabob on Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:32 pm

I think the north end zone seating is way low on the priority list if it even happens at all. Is it worth putting in 6 or 8 rows, keeping it below the second floor BAC windows? Just upgrade the East grandstands and modify the West grandstands so both somehow mesh with the SEZ and call it good.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:00 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:32 pm
I think the north end zone seating is way low on the priority list if it even happens at all. Is it worth putting in 6 or 8 rows, keeping it below the second floor BAC windows? Just upgrade the East grandstands and modify the West grandstands so both somehow mesh with the SEZ and call it good.
The end zone project includes closing in the corners to "bowl" in the stadium. That would be a big addition since the east side remodel doesn't add many if any seats.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:17 pm

Football is making way too much money off of the cabanas. I have a feeling, you'll never see stands in that end zone. Hell, that's where Nick Faldo hangs out.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:30 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:00 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:32 pm
The end zone project includes closing in the corners to "bowl" in the stadium. That would be a big addition since the east side remodel doesn't add many if any seats.
Ok that would make sense then.