Offseason Random Stuff - 2023

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

JDoub
Member # Retired

Re: Offseason Random Stuff - 2023

Post by JDoub » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:13 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:08 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:53 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:50 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:22 pm
New offseason, new random stuff.

If anyone is bored and wants to get fired up at a clueless national FCS podcaster, Sam Herder had FCS Nation Radio's Stone Labanowitz on and he talked about Tommy/Sean. Clearly the guy was on the wrong end of a 2QB system and doesn't know anything about the Bobcats' situation.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5l70YF5qif8W9V1KyOlD3r
Starts at 22:09
The two-QB system that had SDSU on their heels the entire first drive and was legitimately our only chance of winning that game? You mean that two-QB system? Not saying we were going to win that game because our defense was going to have their hands full all day against Gronowski and crew but why should we move away from it if it works and arguably makes MSU one of the toughest offenses to stop in the FCS?
Yup, led the Big Sky in rushing and scoring. Ran all over top FCS rushing defenses in Montana and Weber. Let’s do away with it.
Ya, the guy was way off base when talking about how he’s sure the 2 QBs absolutely hate it. We have the right culture, and I do think they buy into whatever plan gives the team the best chance to win. I don’t think there’s any chance they are secretly hoping the other QB fails.
yes he doesn't know Chambers OR Tommy, AND "they can't beat SDSU with 2 QB system, and I doubt they can win NC with it" um, NDSU won a NC with 2 QB system over us, and do they forget we beat SDSU a year ago?

Our visit to Brookings will reveal a lot about this 2023-4 team

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:29 pm

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:13 pm

That is so cool.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:36 am

I don’t follow anything grissly related but I saw this on Twitter. I met Shann when he played in Atlanta. He came to visit some Montana kids, including my nephew, that came down to watch a game. Shann is a class act and I hope he has a lot of success at UMary.

https://twitter.com/umarysports/status/ ... 0357289984

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:49 am

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:00 am

Somebody help me out, can't seem to find the pink bears on there anywhere.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:15 am

This is extremely random and has nothing to do with Bobcat football but it has everything to do with college athletics. After Florida Atlantic beat Kansas State to reach the final 4. FAU coach Dusty May was asked about one of his players game performance. The first thing he said was something like "the first thing you need to know is that he an engineering degree". I loved that. There is so much glitz and sparkle and over-hype in the NCAAA tournament that it was very refreshing to see that somebody cares about academics.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:28 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:15 am
This is extremely random and has nothing to do with Bobcat football but it has everything to do with college athletics. After Florida Atlantic beat Kansas State to reach the final 4. FAU coach Dusty May was asked about one of his players game performance. The first thing he said was something like "the first thing you need to know is that he an engineering degree". I loved that. There is so much glitz and sparkle and over-hype in the NCAAA tournament that it was very refreshing to see that somebody cares about academics.
Agreed. It’s that way in high school also. Coaches and players are measuring success in the wrong way imho. You now have kids hiring companies to get them recruited. It’s effective because there are players being rated and recruited and honored that aren’t that good and certainly not as good as players they’re rated ahead of. It’s like a legal version of Rick? Singer.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:11 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:28 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Agreed. It’s that way in high school also. Coaches and players are measuring success in the wrong way imho. You now have kids hiring companies to get them recruited. It’s effective because there are players being rated and recruited and honored that aren’t that good and certainly not as good as players they’re rated ahead of. It’s like a legal version of Rick? Singer.
I wonder if hiring some company really helps an athlete. Maybe it does, I don’t know. I don’t know how all programs recruit, but I asked Vigen his process for recruiting and he said they start with making relationships with high school coaches. They also watch a lot of game film on potential recruits, not just high lights. It’s funny, I always see players post their high light videos on different coaches Twitter posts and I asked Vigen if he ever signed a player that did that and he said he hadn’t. In fact, he said he has never even looked at them.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:15 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:11 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:28 am
84CatGrad wrote:
I wonder if hiring some company really helps an athlete. Maybe it does, I don’t know.
It depends on the sport and the level. There are teams out there that are so desperate for players that they'll almost take anyone interested in playing. That's where I think these companies come into play: you have a team and a player in desperation mode and they match up. A lot of good players lose interest because they simply don't want to put in all the time required (see Spring Ball thread) and deal with all the BS and politics, especially if it's not a mainstream sport. The thing is these marginal players get signed but quit within a year or two.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:53 pm

Let's be real...we'd get blown out in both sports by just about everyone on that list. There are a few that would be competitive, but I don't see us winning mayyyybe 3-4 of the 98 games, if we were to play those schools.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:54 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:53 pm
Let's be real...we'd get blown out in both sports by just about everyone on that list. There are a few that would be competitive, but I don't see us winning mayyyybe 3-4 of the 98 games, if we were to play those schools.
I bet you're a lot of fun at parties

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:19 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:54 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Okay, 5 games!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:43 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:19 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
Okay, 5 games!
Now we're talking! :suds:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:46 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
I'll do ND one better, I hate that Big Game Boomer account and refuse to retweet anything they do even if it looks good for the Cats. They mostly just make troll maps for engagement.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:40 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:46 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
I'll do ND one better, I hate that Big Game Boomer account and refuse to retweet anything they do even if it looks good for the Cats. They mostly just make troll maps for engagement.
Yeah they're trolling, but in a state like MT it can be fun. One weekend when the Cats and gris were either off or traveling, they had Bigfork High School as the best football environment in the state. It's obviously not scientific or accurate, but it's usually fun to look at and at least figure out which ones are trolls and which ones are legit. For smaller schools it's fun to see your logo on something national, even if it's basically a joke.

Team10

Post by Team10 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 am

coloradocat wrote:

If anyone is bored and wants to get fired up at a clueless national FCS podcaster, Sam Herder had FCS Nation Radio's Stone Labanowitz on and he talked about Tommy/Sean. Clearly the guy was on the wrong end of a 2QB system and doesn't know anything about the Bobcats' situation.

I listened to this and think this dude is in fact clueless. That guy thinks VERY highly of himself and is very selfish. Just by his take, if I had heard this from him before recruiting or during the recruiting process, I would immediately stop and cease interest in him. If anyone has ever watched the movie Draft Day this kid is the equivalent of Bo Callahan. If you've seen it you know what I am saying, if you haven't watched you should. Stone Labanowitz is the real life version of Uncle Rico...if Bill Belichick would have drafted him they would have won the super bowl. :roll:

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:35 am

Team10 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:30 am
coloradocat wrote:

I listened to this and think this dude is in fact clueless. That guy thinks VERY highly of himself and is very selfish. Just by his take, if I had heard this from him before recruiting or during the recruiting process, I would immediately stop and cease interest in him. If anyone has ever watched the movie Draft Day this kid is the equivalent of Bo Callahan. If you've seen it you know what I am saying, if you haven't watched you should. Stone Labanowitz is the real life version of Uncle Rico...if Bill Belichick would have drafted him they would have won the super bowl. :roll:
Wow. Sam tried to talk him off the ledge and the "dude' (he uses "dude" a lot) didn't take the hint. He indeed was on the wrong end of a QB competition and disappeared after the 2020 season. Prior to the 2019 season he was named starting QB for Southern Illinois but only started two games before being replaced by Kare Lyles. Lyles eventually left SIU for Jackson State where he rode the bench. Stone's career certainly didn't live up to his early hype.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:23 pm

Rich K wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:35 am
Team10 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Wow. Sam tried to talk him off the ledge and the "dude' (he uses "dude" a lot) didn't take the hint. He indeed was on the wrong end of a QB competition and disappeared after the 2020 season. Prior to the 2019 season he was named starting QB for Southern Illinois but only started two games before being replaced by Kare Lyles. Lyles eventually left SIU for Jackson State where he rode the bench. Stone's career certainly didn't live up to his early hype.
Yeah, sounds like he comes from a place where the culture was me, me, me.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

JoeCatsJoe
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by JoeCatsJoe » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:57 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:23 pm
Rich K wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:35 am
Team10 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Yeah, sounds like he comes from a place where the culture was me, me, me.
“Hey, you know that 2 QB system that lead to the best rushing offense in the FCS? Yeah not gonna work. Can’t have a 2 QB system.” Wait, what? The system that worked isn’t gonna work?