Did you attend MSU?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Did you attend MSU?

Yes, graduated
59%
Yes, but did not graduate
7%
Went somewhere else, but grew up a fan
4%
No, just a fan
4%
No, not a fan, just a troll and not sure if it is spelled "griz" or "gris"
0%
FTG
25%

Total votes: 255

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Did you attend MSU?

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:11 am

Was offered a Spot from Sonny in 76 ~ we weren’t financially flush as a family , and had a good shrine game , got a Ride from EMC in Billings for two years . After they quit their program went close to home in Dillon WMC . Got to play with Tom Kostabra in Dillon for
a year ~ would be over 6’ foot today if I didn’t have to tackle him in practice ! Only man I knew that could physically shrink people !
A Bobcat Fan since Highschool . Between Rodeo and Football spent way too much Social time in Bozeman . Know many past Coaches and
Players . Better Half is a griz fan ~ brings a whole new meaning to FTG ~ Off and On BCQBC member and Season Ticket holder depending
On how many Irons in the Fire . Summer in Montana ~ Winter in Wickenburg ~ we have a Bobcat / griz Rope n Stroke down here in Cave Creek every year . It’s pert near Famous and very competitive to say the least .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:19 am

Arrived on campus Fall of 88, crammed 4 years worth of college into 5 years, graduated in 93. Probably the best years of my life, and cemented me all in, Bobcat fan for life. Pretty much the only teams I really care about are Bobcat teams, and whoever is playing the Griz. I cringe when people say “I cheer for both teams until they play each other.” I’m not wired that way and that’s just the way it is. In college I was one of those guys that snuck whiskey in the boots, always stayed to the end, rain/shine, and regardless of how crappy we were. Season ticket holder since about 2000.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:13 pm

The very first football game I ever attended was the Cats versus Wichita State at Gatton Field in 1964. From 6 years old to now, Bobcats forever. First Cat/Griz was at the last one played at the old Dornblaser Field on the UM campus (a convincing win). Although I was too shy to do it, my childhood buddy use to run up to the players after the games and ask for their chin straps. His collection included Don Hass’s, Jan Stenerud’s, & Paul Schafer’s! Of course, I am a graduate of MSU.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:22 pm

Well @coachouert , this was a home run of a thread, well done, even if the idea came from that other site...

@kmax I'm nominating this thread for a permanent sticky, so that the casual lurkers who don't frequent BN every day that the few of us diehards do will see it in the future and share their stories.

The stories from our elder statesmen are some of my favorites! Where you at @WalkOn79 ?

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:32 pm

Grew up a gris fan in the 70's. Attended many football and basketball games in those years because of my father's association and the proximity to the UM. Upon high school graduation I briefly considered Dickenson State for wrestling but decided on the Marine Corp instead. After discharge but still in the reserves (Co B 4th Recon Bn 4th Marines) I went to MSU for practical reasons and engineering school. I graduated in 90 with an engineering degree. I ate a mountain of ****** during the streak from friends and family. Most of which didn't even attend UM and It soured me on the gris and their fans.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:59 pm

Third generation graduate of Montana State!! My blood is blue and my piss is yellow/gold….:lol:

Punters are people too!!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:01 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:59 pm
Third generation graduate of Montana State!! My blood is blue and my piss is yellow/gold….:lol:
Drink more water... :lol:

94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!

Danster21
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Danster21 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:23 pm

Poll’s closed but I grew up in Washington, never heard of MSU until I started applying for college. I only chose the school because the Architecture program was renown and my grades were immensely average in high school. Loved football but never cared about CFB, barring the occasional Apple Cup since my dad and his dad graduated from UW.

When I came on campus I learned that the school had a football team and we got free tickets as students. Figured I’d give it a shot and the first game was intoxicating. The environment was like no other and I couldn’t believe it was free (well, paid for in my tuition, but you get it)! I was hooked, and it carried on to basketball, volleyball, you name it. I didn’t stick with MSU, I never meshed with the state (too outdoorsey for the indoorsey people, not outdoorsey enough for the outdoorsey people) so I transferred home after 2 years, but I’m a superfan now. I watch every game, follow every story, listen to every podcast, etc.

It’s super awesomely to see that the mid-tier FCS program I fell in love with is now a MACHINE that does nothing but ****** greatness.

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:37 pm

Third generation MSU graduate (BS '91, MS '13) with the old man on MSU's wrestling team in the 60s. Mom and gradma also MSU grads. Married an MSU grad (who also has a degree from UM) with our son spending a year at MSU and daughter currently working on her degree at MSU. Going into my 24th year as an MSU employee so needless to say I'm proud of the opportunities and association with MSU!

Though floormates and friends with a couple prominate Cat football players my freshman year, attended more mbb games while in school (Domako years) which were a ton of fun. Always found a way to watch Cat/gris football (Spot Tavern in Renton) or in person since graduating and have more blue & gold in the closet than all other things combined.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:27 pm

About the only one in my family that did not attend MSU. Went to Western in Dillon instead (refuse to use the "other" name) graduated in 94. Grew up a Cat fan.

GO CATS!!!

CatCop13
New Recruit

Post by CatCop13 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:52 pm

Read Catatac's post above and that is me in a nutshell, hell we probably drank together at some point. I started in 88, graduated in 93. Die hard Cat even in the dark years of the streak. Will never root for the other team. I attended a high school game in their stadium one time and told everyone that they better take a picture because they would never see me in that stadium again wearing maroon.(my sons high school colors) May have smuggled some adult beverages into our stadium back in the day also.
I was recruited to play football back in my day but didn't play due to injury sustained in high school. In my third and fourth year I competed on the rodeo team, more for my enjoyment as I was very average at best.
My son is currently attending MSU and is scheduled to graduate next spring. He is a lifelong Cat. My wife is from out of the country but she saw the light from the beginning and also can't stand the other team.
Proud to be a Bobcat always.

Mrs TrackCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mrs TrackCat » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:50 am

Attended MSU. Withdrew to work so husband could complete his degree. We have been season ticket holders, and QB Club Members for many years. My high school athletic resume is pretty short. Not as many opportunities way back then. State Cross Country, Track, All Conference Basketball, Best Free Throw Percentage three or four years. I participated in intramural basketball and softball at MSU. My husband received a letter from Sonny Holland, inviting him to walk on. Instead, he joined Rob Stark, and the track team. Our son was a walk on at MSU. My Dad’s cousin, is in the Bobcat Basketball Hall Of Fame. He was the MVP, I believe, his junior year. It might not count, but since Eastern is now MSUB, my Uncle is third all time, I believe, in free throws made for the Yellowjacket’s. My Dad, and two of my Uncles, were on the Montana Championship AAU Basketball Team in the 50’s. My brother, an MSU graduate, was a MLB Strength and Conditioning Coordinator for many years. He has been to Dennis Ericksons house. Yikes, I sound like egriz 🤣. I have two cousins who played in the NFL. One of them, should have been a Bobcat ☹️.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:05 am

This is an excellent thread....encapsulates all that is great about MSU. I graduated in '84....been a long distance fan from the west coast since the early 90's. Two brothers and sister-in-law are MSU grads as well. Lot's of blue and gold passion in this family.

I buy season tickets every year, and make it to one or two games....(I give away my seats for the other games). Thank goodness for espn+ and all the other streaming options and podcasts to keep me plugged into Bobcat athletics. Go Cats!!

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:50 am

Started in the fall of '66 influenced by my interest in engineering and exposure to MSU via FFA. My high school football career was terminated by a severe knee injury in my junior year but never lost my love for the game. Never missed a home or Cat griz game while attending and was fortunate to see Sweeney, Stenerud, Haas, Tiller, East, Erickson, etc. That was also the time of great success of the BB team, no need to qualify which as there was only one then, with Craft, Gillespie, the Weeks brothers, Brickhouse, etc. Those were heady times.

I have a rare degree, BS in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, which was only awarded for a few years before reverting back to Mechanical Engineering and spent the next 30+ years travelling the country because there was no economy in Montana. I followed the Cat's from afar and always attended any games near where I lived. In 2008 shortly after moving to Walla Walla, I began attending games and soon had season tickets to the football games. Haven't missed a football game since. After retiring in Bozeman in 2017, we added BB season tickets and we have really appreciated the Sprinkle era. Began attending the conference tournaments when they started holding them in Reno and have attended all since then. Even when our teams didn't perform up to expectations, we have always enjoyed the experience. We've even cheered for the dark pink but only when they played EWU.

Great time to be a supporter of all Bobcat teams and everything Bobcat.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

St George

Post by St George » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:07 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
And your S*#t is dark pink.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:27 pm

St George wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:07 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
And your S*#t is dark pink.
Only when I eat beets.:coffee:

js1010
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by js1010 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:56 am

Growing up I didnt really have a connection to any particular school although my old man did go to MSU but didnt graduate (says he spent more time at the bar playing foosball then he did in class). I usually cheered for the Cats just because all the walmart gris fans around me were annoying as hell during the streak. When I needed to pick a school I went with MSU because my highschool girlfriend was going here, mostly for legacy reasons, and I decided to follow her to Bozeman. Because of that decision I now have two degrees, a wife, and a couple of blue and gold blooded kids so I'd say I made the right call.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:45 am

Torn between MSU Graduate, and FTG...

Had no connection as a kid although my stepdad went to MSU. Senior year HS I was torn between Tech and MSU but ultimately chose MSU because most of my friends were going there. Graduated 1991.
Met my wife 15 years ago, also an MSU grad. And both kids attended MSU and are both recent graduates as well.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:04 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:55 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:45 am
Torn between MSU Graduate, and FTG...

Had no connection as a kid although my stepdad went to MSU. Senior year HS I was torn between Tech and MSU but ultimately chose MSU because most of my friends were going there. Graduated 1991.
Met my wife 15 years ago, also an MSU grad. And both kids attended MSU and are both recent graduates as well.
You can choose two options you dunce!