Did you attend MSU?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Did you attend MSU?

Yes, graduated
59%
Yes, but did not graduate
7%
Went somewhere else, but grew up a fan
4%
No, just a fan
4%
No, not a fan, just a troll and not sure if it is spelled "griz" or "gris"
0%
FTG
25%

Total votes: 255

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Did you attend MSU?

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:57 am

I graduated (although it took me way too long) from MSU. Both parents graduated from MSU. My kids are Bobcat fans (didn’t have a choice) but who knows where they’ll go to school. It’s a long ways off, but trade schools look better to me.

sheridancat
New Recruit

Post by sheridancat » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:16 pm

I graduated in 79 with an Engineering degree. I have been a bobcat fan since the sixties. The only college team I could get on the radio was the bobcats. Grew up a fan as a kid. Didn't attend any games until I went decided to go to MSU after the Army. Got a work study job as an attendent at the football and basketball games. A season ticket holder and a super fan!!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:49 pm

Go Cats!
Last edited by 91catAlum on Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:02 pm

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:19 pm

https://www.montana.edu/news/22665?fbcl ... ofajlP1djs

Montana State sets spring enrollment record
BOZEMAN – Montana State University has set a new spring enrollment record with 15,717 students attending classes this term, as well as seeing the highest fall-to-spring student retention in a decade.

The spring headcount, which is tallied after the 15th day of classes each semester, showed that MSU enrolled 1,954 graduate students and 13,763 undergraduates, including 1,141 students in Gallatin College MSU, which houses the university’s one- and two-year programs. Gallatin College MSU’s enrollment showed a 15% increase over last spring semester.

“For years, we have been working hard not only to attract students to MSU but also to have them persist in their studies so that they can graduate on time,” said MSU President Waded Cruzado. “The spring enrollment numbers speak of the hard work that students, faculty and staff have invested in our efforts. Commendations are in order, as a student-centric culture of academic excellence and collaboration is evident at MSU.” ......

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

papa_joe12
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by papa_joe12 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:53 pm

Nice Work coachouert!

mongoo99
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mongoo99 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:04 am

In 1980 entered Bobcat Stadium after halftime against UN Reno because an old high school teammate was playing for the Wolfpack. Walked right down to the railing and called his name and we had a brief chat as the game was ending. Bobcats lost. In those days, the gates were wide open so the second half was free and the entire stadium was free to roam. That was my first Bobcat game. Learned about the 1984 championship in middle of January of 1985 at the Christian Science reading room in Nairobi, Kenya, from the International Herald Tribune. I knew they were playing for the title, but didn’t learn of the result until I resurfaced in Nairobi. Had a streak from 2003 to 2019 without missing a home game, but that ended when Portugal called. Back in 1980, Dean Alexander’s enthusiasm sucked me in and I’ve never looked back. Only Big Sky conference road stadiums I’ve missed are NAU and UNCU, and that counts league games at Boise State (1993) and UND (2013). Also traveled to Western Illinois (1993) and Stephen F. Austin (1994) just because.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:19 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:03 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:57 pm
I guess it is rare to know where you want to go to college and know what you want to study at age 10, but that was me. Dad had hired a Civil Engineer to do some work on the farm and I traipsed along when I could. He was patient enough to explain what some of the calculations he was doing were and projects he worked on….and I was sold. Followed the Cats from then on in the days of Hass, Erickson, Stenerud, et.al. No one else in family from MSU but we did go to Great Falls to watch Cat games there. Graduated and toured the world for 40 years until retiring back to Montana. Season ticket holder ever since. Love the quality of kids and coaches we have…proud to be a Bobcat.

And I am old enough to have bought several “Hog Logs”…..so other old timers on here will know what those were!
Oh, yes. I still have a “Hog Log” in my mementos. I was in CE from fall 1967 through spring 1971. Did we overlap? I know I watched the game in Great Falls in 1972.
Yes we must have overlapped a couple years. You surely had a chance to see the last Bobcat baseball team play at Dyche field and perhaps even catch a wrestling match. I still keep up with a couple of the baseball guys once a year when they are down for a game or passing through. My wife threw out my “Hog Log” on one of our 14 moves. And if in CE, names like Brustkern, Smith, Brown, Swank, Videon, Hunt, Williams, Martin must ring a bell.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:48 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:19 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:03 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:57 pm
I guess it is rare to know where you want to go to college and know what you want to study at age 10, but that was me. Dad had hired a Civil Engineer to do some work on the farm and I traipsed along when I could. He was patient enough to explain what some of the calculations he was doing were and projects he worked on….and I was sold. Followed the Cats from then on in the days of Hass, Erickson, Stenerud, et.al. No one else in family from MSU but we did go to Great Falls to watch Cat games there. Graduated and toured the world for 40 years until retiring back to Montana. Season ticket holder ever since. Love the quality of kids and coaches we have…proud to be a Bobcat.

And I am old enough to have bought several “Hog Logs”…..so other old timers on here will know what those were!
Oh, yes. I still have a “Hog Log” in my mementos. I was in CE from fall 1967 through spring 1971. Did we overlap? I know I watched the game in Great Falls in 1972.
Yes we must have overlapped a couple years. You surely had a chance to see the last Bobcat baseball team play at Dyche field and perhaps even catch a wrestling match. I still keep up with a couple of the baseball guys once a year when they are down for a game or passing through. My wife threw out my “Hog Log” on one of our 14 moves. And if in CE, names like Brustkern, Smith, Brown, Swank, Videon, Hunt, Williams, Martin must ring a bell.
Yes to all. Loved watching baseball at Dyche field. My dad designed and did all but the masonry work on the dugouts. Played city league softball with one team member after baseball was terminated. Really a tough sport to practice or play in 16 inches of snow. Worked for TT Williams from summer of senior year in high school through a year of grad school. Classes from a lot of the rest. Good engineers, good teachers. ER Dodge gave way as Dept. Head to G Martin after my first or second year. That list of names brought back a lot of memories. Football afternoons were great date opportunities. Four good years. Four years with no sleep. More power to the slide rule.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:48 am

Park HS Class of ‘81. Lived at home and drove the Bozeman pass nearly every day for five years and three more summers. Never missed a day of class because of weather, though I think the pass was closed a couple times without my knowing it. Graduated in December 1985 with a degree in Math, taking an extra quarter because of too many PE classes. Earned my M.S. in Math in August 1990.

Became a Bobcat fan after my brother took me to a couple games in 1975. I was destined to be a Bobcat.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:21 am

Went to u of I, abandoned them when they followed Boise Junior College up to fbs. Worst decision they ever made to join the rust belt or go independent.
Glad they came back to bsc but they are not a premier team in the BSC and better not play North Idaho or the frontier league if they want wins.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:22 am

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:21 am
Went to u of I, abandoned them when they followed Boise Junior College up to fbs. Worst decision they ever made to join the rust belt or go independent.
Glad they came back to bsc but they are not a premier team in the BSC and better not play North Idaho or the frontier league if they want wins.
Oh yeah, FTG.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:12 am

nevadacat wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:48 am
Park HS Class of ‘81. Lived at home and drove the Bozeman pass nearly every day for five years and three more summers. Never missed a day of class because of weather, though I think the pass was closed a couple times without my knowing it. Graduated in December 1985 with a degree in Math, taking an extra quarter because of too many PE classes. Earned my M.S. in Math in August 1990.

Became a Bobcat fan after my brother took me to a couple games in 1975. I was destined to be a Bobcat.
Livingston from 71-82 then back to cali. Was Ranger Booster prez roughly 75-78. Bro in Law graduated there around 75-76.. Played ASA softball until 81.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Mrs TrackCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mrs TrackCat » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:18 am

Mrs TrackCat wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:50 am
Attended MSU. Withdrew to work so husband could complete his degree. We have been season ticket holders, and QB Club Members for many years. My high school athletic resume is pretty short. Not as many opportunities way back then. State Cross Country, Track, All Conference Basketball, Best Free Throw Percentage three or four years. I participated in intramural basketball and softball at MSU. My husband received a letter from Sonny Holland, inviting him to walk on. Instead, he joined Rob Stark, and the track team. Our son was a walk on at MSU. My Dad’s cousin, is in the Bobcat Basketball Hall Of Fame. He was the MVP, I believe, his junior year. It might not count, but since Eastern is now MSUB, my Uncle is third all time, I believe, in free throws made for the Yellowjacket’s. My Dad, and two of my Uncles, were on the Montana Championship AAU Basketball Team in the 50’s. My brother, an MSU graduate, was a MLB Strength and Conditioning Coordinator for many years. He has been to Dennis Ericksons house. Yikes, I sound like egriz 🤣. I have two cousins who played in the NFL. One of them, should have been a Bobcat ☹️.
I should add that husband has a CET degree from MSU. He has been involved with building projects on our campus.

chester Spartanpot
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by chester Spartanpot » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:33 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:40 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:15 pm
I'll never understand making fun a team for having fans that didn't graduate there. You think all 110k fans who pack into the Big House every home game all went to Michigan?
The equivalent is Michigan State. They aren't the popular, casual fan team. I bet that MSU has the same jokes as we do.

It doesn't mean either team necessarily has better fans, but organic fans have a bigger emotional, and often financial, investment in the school than even lifelong bandwagon fans.
Chester can attest... the majority of fans that go to the Out House (it is actually a giant hole in the earth) did not attend michigan. Most went to a directional school (eastern mich, central mich, western mich, etc... or have their high school equivalency) and we lovingly refer to them as Wal-varines.

Chester become a fan of his second favorite MSU way back in '09 when you dorks came to East Lansing.

MSU '96 (the east lansing one \:D/ ) so FTG

Ye... intruders... beware!!

HiLineCat

Post by HiLineCat » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:09 pm

Lived in Missoula as a kid. we lived by the old Dornblaser Stadium, I used to get a job selling pop at the games, carrying around one the those old trays yelling "Mix!,Mix". We moved to Great Falls during my junior year of high school, Graduated in 1977. Went to UM for a 'good time, not a long time'.
Worked for a few years then decided to go to MSU to get an education. Best decision I ever made. Got my BS in Ag ED and went back and got my MS in Plant Science when I was over 40. Ended up working for MSU in one form or another for nearly 30 years. Been a season ticket holder since the end zone was completed but have been attending games since college.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:05 pm

chester Spartanpot wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:33 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:40 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:15 pm
I'll never understand making fun a team for having fans that didn't graduate there. You think all 110k fans who pack into the Big House every home game all went to Michigan?
The equivalent is Michigan State. They aren't the popular, casual fan team. I bet that MSU has the same jokes as we do.

It doesn't mean either team necessarily has better fans, but organic fans have a bigger emotional, and often financial, investment in the school than even lifelong bandwagon fans.
Chester can attest... the majority of fans that go to the Out House (it is actually a giant hole in the earth) did not attend michigan. Most went to a directional school (eastern mich, central mich, western mich, etc... or have their high school equivalency) and we lovingly refer to them as Wal-varines.

Chester become a fan of his second favorite MSU way back in '09 when you dorks came to East Lansing.

MSU '96 (the east lansing one \:D/ ) so FTG
I love the random Chester drop ins!

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:08 pm

Yes, I attended MSU and graduated in 1986. My wife and I have had men's basketball season tickets since 1996 and football season tickets since 2001.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:21 pm

My friends and I went to Bobcat football game to party, Multiple times taking 10 gallons of mixed drinks into the stadium. Yes 10 gallons. We had a system that worked. I graduated in 1980 but growing up near Mizzoula I was always a Bobcat fan. Living in Idaho now I still make 2 games a year.

Helenabobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Helenabobcat » Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:40 pm

3rd generation bobcat here. Dad played football at MSU so I was born a Bobcat. Met my husband at MSU, had our own baby Bobcat and graduated in 1998. One of my favorite things in the world is working the sidelines with my dad, husband, and uncles every home game. Can't wait for next fall. Go Cats!