Did you attend MSU?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Did you attend MSU?

Yes, graduated
59%
Yes, but did not graduate
7%
Went somewhere else, but grew up a fan
4%
No, just a fan
4%
No, not a fan, just a troll and not sure if it is spelled "griz" or "gris"
0%
FTG
25%

Total votes: 255

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Did you attend MSU?

Post by MSU01 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:51 pm

Whether or not I attended MSU depended largely on how much new snow Bridger Bowl received that day.

Cats92
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cats92 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:06 pm

cat-o-nine wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:26 pm
I attended MSU for 7 glorious years starting in 1980. :D Granted, I took a bit of time off, then returned and worked as I went to school. Met my wife there - got married in '85, graduated in '87. Her father was an MSU grad as well.
My father had attended for a year in 1939-40, then had to return home to the ranch when WW2 started because his brothers all had to go off to war. He had a crippled right hand from polio, so he wasn't able to join up. I am #8 of 10 siblings who all attended MSU for at least a while. Oldest brother started in '65, obtained his Masters in economics, then went on to get his PhD at U of Minnesota. Seven of us ten graduated from MSU - the other three obtained degrees elsewhere, including one black sheep who got a forestry degree from UofM. Two sisters went on to be DVMs. I have two daughters who graduated from MSU and a son who attended for a while, then entered the trades. He's at least as big of a Cat fan as I am.
Best sports memories for me personally include attending the football games in 1984 and the early '80's basketball teams - especially the year(s) when they would come out and warm up in sync with Cool & the Gang's "Celebration". Wish I could see a video of that again! Bethel Debnam, Doug Hashley, Harry Heineken, the Ferch brothers, and all the rest could really put on a show back in the day.
Go Cats!
“He’s at least as big of a Cat fan as I am”

I really didn’t have a choice in the matter.

TCcat 84
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by TCcat 84 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:33 pm

My 1st attempt at Montana State University started in the fall of 1974. I enrolled late and thus did not receive an assigned dorm room. They had created space in the basement of Langford for "bunk style" overflow. It wasn't pretty or pleasant. I had friends that roomed together in N Hedges and they invited me to share their space. It wasn't pretty or pleasant but we managed to exist that way until I dropped out. I figured I should leave before grades came out and MSU reimbursed me 95% of tuition and fees. Went railroading for 6 years and when The Milwaukee Road laid me off for the last time in December of 1979, enrolled again for Winter 1980. Lived in Peter Koch Tower as I was married by now, my son born in Bozeman spring of 1983.
Graduated in 1984 with a degree in Education. Absolutely loved my time in Bozeman. Was a football season ticket holder in the 2000's, but alas gave those up around 2012. I lived in Missoula for 30 years and did not set a foot into grissly stadium. Our Cat Plates and blue and gold colors where prominent around town and I loved being a pain in the ass to as many grissly fans as I could. Go Cats!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:43 pm

Graduated from MSU, but my fandom goes back way farther than that. In fact my earliest memories are going to Bobcat basketball games in the 70's when the arena floor was dirt and the basketball court was raised up. I thought the P.A. announcer was inside the giant speaker hanging from the roof. I started out at a small college in Minnesota to try and play college basketball. After two years I finished up at MSU. Even if I didn't attend MSU I would have continued being a Bobcat fan. Wife worked at MSU for 10 years. Both Dad and Dad-in-law worked for MSU-but I was already an avid fan by then.

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:53 pm

Graduated 07. Third generation MSU alum/graduate so needless to say I was a Bobcat from the day I was born. Now instilling that in my kids! Haven't missed a home game in 11 years.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:53 pm

Graduated from MSU; attended school there in the 80s. Loved my time there, loved Bozeman. It's just a family thing with us. I went there, my dad went there, my sister went there, and her husband went there. They're oldest son went there. My wife is an MSU alum, as are both her parents. My wife's grandfather was born in Bozeman in 1913, when her great-grandfather was a professor at MSU, then known as Montana College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts. My daughter is a student at MSU, and if you ask her, she will say the same thing as @Cats92 said - she really didn't have a choice in the matter!

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:06 pm

My great-uncles, uncles, one sister and myself, and my youngest son are all MSU graduates. Four generations of MSU graduates.They are all engineering or microbiology majors. I received my Army Commission the year I received my bachelor's degree in business. Several of my relatives played for the Cats or participated in non-revenue sports as I did and other members of the family via marriage coached at MSU. One uncle was on a National Championship team; he also told me when I was around ten years old the National Anthem did not end with "Kick Ass Cats!" I began attending Cat games and events shortly after the fieldhouse was completed in the mid-fifties, so I'm really not that old. At least I don't recall when a Harbaugh was the football coach...

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:57 pm

I guess it is rare to know where you want to go to college and know what you want to study at age 10, but that was me. Dad had hired a Civil Engineer to do some work on the farm and I traipsed along when I could. He was patient enough to explain what some of the calculations he was doing were and projects he worked on….and I was sold. Followed the Cats from then on in the days of Hass, Erickson, Stenerud, et.al. No one else in family from MSU but we did go to Great Falls to watch Cat games there. Graduated and toured the world for 40 years until retiring back to Montana. Season ticket holder ever since. Love the quality of kids and coaches we have…proud to be a Bobcat.

And I am old enough to have bought several “Hog Logs”…..so other old timers on here will know what those were!

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:19 pm

BSEE '84. Attended '79-'84. Left in spring '84 so missed the '84 'ship. Went to all football and men's basketball games unless I was too drunk to walk. Embarassed to say I never attended a women's hoops game (I'm a big fan now). Lived in Bellingham, WA '84-'99 and went to local watch parties for Cat-frizz. Those were PAINFUL. Moved back to Montana (Columbus) in '99 and been going to games ever since. Never forget sitting in the old north end zone watching Lulay beat the friz in the mud in his final game. For most of the 2000's there were more friz fans at the game in Bozeman than 'Cat fans. Hated that. It never felt like the pendulum would swing back the other way - thank god it finally did.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:13 pm

I'm surprised cat4lyyyfe hasn't weighed in yet. Probably got their bachelors, masters, and PHD from MSU in 4 years, while becoming best friends with the entire team and sitting in on team meetings and designing offensive plays.

Catdad42
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Catdad42 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:46 pm

Did not attend MSU as we are from WA. Our son played for Ash and was a senior ChoatesI first year. We moved to Billings his Junior year, attended all home games and some away games. Have been seasin ticket holders since he graduated. We love going to Cats games and cannot stand The Griz. Our 2 year old grand son already knows where he is going to play. His first words were Go Bobcats, No Grizzlies. Haha
Last edited by Catdad42 on Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

LittleBeltCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by LittleBeltCat » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:06 pm

I grew up a griz fan, they had women’s soccer, MSU did/does not. Throughout my youth, I spent many weekends in Missoula for tournaments and hated the town more and more and more. When college came around, I decided to bail on soccer and try to be just a kid for a change and chose MSU for the town that it was (RIP). Went to MSU for 2.5 years. I was a freshman in 2002 but couldn’t make friends and never went to football games, but I had some classes with players that got me interested in football 😊 Lived in the birdhouses for a year and sat in my living room in November 2003 listening to the radio and the crowd during Corey Smith’s return, and then watched the crowd leaving the stadium that day. I realized I didn’t fit the whole college ‘experience’ and withdrew not long after. The only game I’ve been to in person was the New Hampshire playoff game when I was a little older and gave fewer ****** about doing things alone. Life changing. If anyone is ever in White Sulphur Springs, ask for the biggest Cat fan in town, and you’ll be pointed my way!

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:21 pm

LittleBeltCat wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:06 pm
I grew up a griz fan, they had women’s soccer, MSU did/does not. Throughout my youth, I spent many weekends in Missoula for tournaments and hated the town more and more and more. When college came around, I decided to bail on soccer and try to be just a kid for a change and chose MSU for the town that it was (RIP). Went to MSU for 2.5 years. I was a freshman in 2002 but couldn’t make friends and never went to football games, but I had some classes with players that got me interested in football 😊 Lived in the birdhouses for a year and sat in my living room in November 2003 listening to the radio and the crowd during Corey Smith’s return, and then watched the crowd leaving the stadium that day. I realized I didn’t fit the whole college ‘experience’ and withdrew not long after. The only game I’ve been to in person was the New Hampshire playoff game when I was a little older and gave fewer ****** about doing things alone. Life changing. If anyone is ever in White Sulphur Springs, ask for the biggest Cat fan in town, and you’ll be pointed my way!
My buddy Mitch Billis lives over in WS now. I'll ask him who you are? I have a feeling, being shy, has everything to do with making friends. Go Cats and rock on kid!

LittleBeltCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by LittleBeltCat » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:30 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:21 pm
LittleBeltCat wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:06 pm
My buddy Mitch Billis lives over in WS now. I'll ask him who you are? I have a feeling, being shy, has everything to do with making friends. Go Cats and rock on kid!
Yes, I’ve met him and am friends with his daughter. He won’t know me I’m sure, but I met him moving her shed down the hill to my property last summer 😊

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:35 am

BA in Management '82.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:03 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:57 pm
I guess it is rare to know where you want to go to college and know what you want to study at age 10, but that was me. Dad had hired a Civil Engineer to do some work on the farm and I traipsed along when I could. He was patient enough to explain what some of the calculations he was doing were and projects he worked on….and I was sold. Followed the Cats from then on in the days of Hass, Erickson, Stenerud, et.al. No one else in family from MSU but we did go to Great Falls to watch Cat games there. Graduated and toured the world for 40 years until retiring back to Montana. Season ticket holder ever since. Love the quality of kids and coaches we have…proud to be a Bobcat.

And I am old enough to have bought several “Hog Logs”…..so other old timers on here will know what those were!
Oh, yes. I still have a “Hog Log” in my mementos. I was in CE from fall 1967 through spring 1971. Did we overlap? I know I watched the game in Great Falls in 1972.

bobcatfan15
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bobcatfan15 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:32 am

Graduated in 2008.
Grew up a Bobcat fan going to multiple games. Lived through “the streak”. Which I think anyone who lived through that holds their breath anytime we play the Gris. Watched Danny play in the 90s!
Every member of my immediate family is alumni. Two were conference champions for The Cats!!! Hoping my kids grow up with the same memories I had growing up!!!

"The season is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes"-Coach Green

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:02 am

Attended 74-79 and got a BS in Microbiology. Those were some glory days for MSU football and I never missed a home game. My two sons attended and graduated with a Master of Architecture and a Bachelor of Graphic Design respectively. We’ve had season tickets for a dozen years or so. Go Cats. Oh, and I have an MBA from UM but have never cheered for the Gris and never will.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:08 am

My first year at MSU was in ‘76 and I attended every football game that year except the away games. Of course the National Championship set the bar high for me and got my juices flowing to try and walk on with Lubick in ‘78. He graciously declined my offer, which was probably for the best…but it didn’t dim my passion for Bobcat football. Have been a fan far and wide, and to this day still fly the flag.

Oh, yes, I did graduate in Fish and Wildlife Mgmt! :)

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:10 am

Grew up a casual Bobcat fan in Billings. Was an all-state football player in HS, and had conversations with Coach Hysell’s staff about walking on, which forever gave me a link to Bobcat Football. But I realized I just wasn’t physically built to be a D1 guy. I was recruited elsewhere as a wrestler, but chose Bozeman anyway. I stayed involved in wrestling through coaching and competing in the spring opens and summer camps with other college teams. The pull to compete was just too strong, so I decided to transfer to MSU-Northern as it had the only team at the time in MT (UGF/Providence hadn’t started their team yet). So I went to MSU for 3 years before transferring to Northern and graduating after a couple years of competing there.
Although always a fan, my strong passion for the Bobcats actually came a few years later, with a lot of thanks to this site, by reconnecting some great lifelong friendships in the Bobcat community.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable