Bobcat Hockey wins second straight title

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Bobcat Hockey wins second straight title

Post by Camo_Cat » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:40 pm

I know this needs to go on another board, but it doesn't get the love it deserves there so I am posting an update here. The MSU Bobcat men's hockey team won their second straight MWCHL title last night with a 4-0 win over Weber State. A pretty significant win considering our boys had lost to WSU three times this season. The night before, they pounded Boise State 5-1 in the semifinal game. The Cats now travel to Boston next month to play for a national ACHA title.

Even though they're a club team, it's an example of another Bobcat athletic program that is seeing tremendous success among all the others. It's a great day to be a Bobcat!!

https://msuhockey.com/

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcat Hockey wins second straight title

Post by AFCAT » Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:43 pm

That's great news. They need to get this stuff out on their social media platforms. They haven't updated their Twitter page in years.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:34 pm

A fundraiser to the Natty. Give if you can.

https://twitter.com/RRCatCast/status/16 ... 2609883136

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:57 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:34 pm
A fundraiser to the Natty. Give if you can.

https://twitter.com/RRCatCast/status/16 ... 2609883136
And for the record, they embarrassed the griz team.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:34 pm

They are seeking donations/funding to go to nationals. They still have a long way to go.

"The team is currently in the midst of the most successful season in program history. After winning back-to-back MWCHL Championships, the team finished the regular season ranked #2 in the West Region and #3 IN THE NATION! As a result, the Bobcats received a bye past the Regional Championships (the first time our program has received this huge honor) and officially secured a spot in the upcoming 2023 National Championships as one of the top 16 teams from across the country. The ACHA National Championships are being held March 17-21 in Boston, MA."

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-msu-bob ... e=customer

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:39 pm

Have or would the Cat Hockey team ever play a college team (UND, UM)?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:43 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:39 pm
Good question and I have lots more in the same line. I don't actually understand what's happening other than I'm really excited about all the wins. Perhaps someone can explain or post a link that describes the level of play and how it relates to other college hockey. Any help would be appreciated.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:07 pm

CatBot wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:43 pm
gtapp wrote:
Good question and I have lots more in the same line. I don't actually understand what's happening other than I'm really excited about all the wins. Perhaps someone can explain or post a link that describes the level of play and how it relates to other college hockey. Any help would be appreciated.
It's a club team. Totally self funded. They wouldn't play any NCAA varsity teams.

js1010
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by js1010 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:29 am

CatBot wrote:
gtapp wrote:
As others have said it's a club team so its not part of the athletic department. To be more specific, they do not play in the NCAA but rather the ACHA (American Collegiate Hockey Association). There are agreements between the ACHA and NCAA, mostly around use of NCAA rule book and player transfers and eligibility (a player can't play 4 years for an NCAA team then another 4 at an ACHA team, or vice versa, for example). However ACHA teams are not officially sanctioned by the NCAA which means they dont get financial support or count towards Title IX requirements.

To try and compare the difference between ACHA and NCAA there are a couple of players on the Cats hockey team that transferred from an NCAA DIII school. Also, keep in mind there are multiple divisions within the ACHA and MSU is an ACHA DII team.

To answer your original question on level of play and if they would ever play against North Dakota, short answer is, no, probably not. I think the football analogy would be a frontier conference team playing a PAC12 team. So imagine Montana Western playing University of Utah.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:55 pm

Well that's an easy add when we eventually go FBS and need to add a sport. :)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:42 pm

js1010 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:29 am
CatBot wrote:
gtapp wrote:
As others have said it's a club team so its not part of the athletic department. To be more specific, they do not play in the NCAA but rather the ACHA (American Collegiate Hockey Association). There are agreements between the ACHA and NCAA, mostly around use of NCAA rule book and player transfers and eligibility (a player can't play 4 years for an NCAA team then another 4 at an ACHA team, or vice versa, for example). However ACHA teams are not officially sanctioned by the NCAA which means they dont get financial support or count towards Title IX requirements.

To try and compare the difference between ACHA and NCAA there are a couple of players on the Cats hockey team that transferred from an NCAA DIII school. Also, keep in mind there are multiple divisions within the ACHA and MSU is an ACHA DII team.

To answer your original question on level of play and if they would ever play against North Dakota, short answer is, no, probably not. I think the football analogy would be a frontier conference team playing a PAC12 team. So imagine Montana Western playing University of Utah.
The Cats also have an ACHA DIII Team, correct?

Hating the griz since 02.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:26 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:42 pm
js1010 wrote:
CatBot wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Correct - a D2 and D3 team. Arizona State has a NCAA team, as well as ACHA team(s) and I'm sure there are many other schools like that.

I saw the Big Sky Conference send out a tweet asking if they should add hockey.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:51 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:55 pm
Well that's an easy add when we eventually go FBS and need to add a sport. :)
I'd love it. Probably need a huge influx of capital to build a facility, although I've always said the Fieldhouse would be a better arena for hockey than it is for basketball.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:23 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:26 pm
CodyCat wrote:
js1010 wrote:
CatBot wrote:
gtapp wrote:

Correct - a D2 and D3 team. Arizona State has a NCAA team, as well as ACHA team(s) and I'm sure there are many other schools like that.

If you had men's hockey, where are the increase in women's sports going to be? I don't know what the club teams prospects are for a women's team.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:47 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:23 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:26 pm
CodyCat wrote:
js1010 wrote:
CatBot wrote:
gtapp wrote:

If you had men's hockey, where are the increase in women's sports going to be? I don't know what the club teams prospects are for a women's team.
I don’t think you would need a women’s club team to start a women’s sport but there is women’s club hockey at MSU right now. That would be reasonably inexpensive to get started.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:54 pm

Thanks @js1010 and others for the insight and conversation. I absolutely love the idea of adding both men's and women's hockey (a wash with Title IX). This should be a priority imo.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:18 pm

CatBot wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:54 pm
Thanks @js1010 and others for the insight and conversation. I absolutely love the idea of adding both men's and women's hockey (a wash with Title IX). This should be a priority imo.
I'd love to see it, but I don't think it needs to be a priority. It'll cost a fortune to get a rink on campus that would be sufficient for NCAA competition and I'm not sure where that money is coming from.

CatBot

Post by CatBot » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:02 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:18 pm
CatBot wrote:
I'd love to see it, but I don't think it needs to be a priority. It'll cost a fortune to get a rink on campus that would be sufficient for NCAA competition and I'm not sure where that money is coming from.
I was guessing, based on the rodeo team, it wouldn't need to be on campus. Not sure what the NCAA requirements are though. You certainly make a good point.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:37 pm

CatBot wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:02 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:18 pm
CatBot wrote:
I was guessing, based on the rodeo team, it wouldn't need to be on campus. Not sure what the NCAA requirements are though. You certainly make a good point.
How much would it cost to build a hockey rink in the Brick?

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:46 am

My son plays on a youth rep B team in a Canadian league here in Washington state.and has been traveling on a couple showcase teams as well. He has a chance to play in the WHL next season if he gets drafted. If not he's got some tryouts for the BCHL. If nothing worth pursuing works out he might look into the club level hockey in the BSC and just be a student. It really sounds great and I'm sure he'd enjoy that. Does anyone know how the skill level would compare to the junior level leagues? Such as the NA3HL teams like the Helena bighorns or the Bozeman ice dogs?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire