Zac Crews

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Zac Crews

Post by PapaG » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:37 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:16 am
PapaG wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:07 am
aucat wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:41 am
Today's Bozeman Daily Chronicle has a story on this. As for me, while I know he was just 15, and it's easy to say "second chance" this all makes me very nervous. I'm looking at the national coverage that is taking place with the Alabama basketball player who provided the gun that killed a young mother a few weeks ago. One of the guys involved was a bench rider and was immediately suspended and referred to as a "former player" but now we find out that the star of the team was involved, and guess what, he's still on the team. And they are being ridiculed nationwide. Deservedly so in my opinion. Yes Crews was young, but we're talking about something that could really disrupt our team and the program. Personally, I wish he would go somewhere else.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 70486.html
Adult college student involved in a murder is EXACTLY the same as a 15 y/o kid saying a racial slur! Seriously?

Still waiting for @TomCat to comment on the Marcus Stokes situation at Florida, because apparently he read the name and assumed he is Black.
Well, I posted that I wasn’t going to comment any further and linked a site that I felt overwhelming put this into perspective.

The incident I was referencing turned out to be from five years ago and was unconfirmed per Snopes. So my apologies.

As for Marcus Stokes, I followed that incident and realized he’s white. It has more media attention than this case because of the high profile of UF.

This incident, which has its similarities to the Stokes incident, isn’t going to gain traction nationwide and isn’t getting much traction statewide at this point and I doubt it will barring some entity like the ACLU getting involved. The fact that they haven’t could be telling, I don’t know. I’m not saying one incident is less or more problematic than the other. Just that, of the people following it, very few seem to be outraged by it in a pro or con Crews sense. Every cause needs a champion(s) and I’ve yet to see one.

The Cat-Griz news cycle is much slower than the 24-hour sports news cycle, so when the next incident eventually pops up this one is probably going to fade into obscurity, if not sooner — I’m giving it about two weeks.

And that’ll be it for commentary from me.
That’s fine and all, but you posted this and “just had” doesn’t mean 5 years ago. As a decent journalist, it’s OK to say you erred. It would be refreshing in today’s climate of Yellow Journalism and Muckraking.

A Black player at a prominent P5 school just had his scholarship pulled for using a racially insensitive term.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:55 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:05 am
Caupey wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:01 am
Camocat

Rivercat has PM'd me and apologized fir his insult.

But not you.

Again, I am not Catforlif. I do not know what that is.

I am an MSU Alum and a QB Club member.

Look on the BAC QB Club donor wall and you will see my name

If you want to insult me, do it to my face.

It will be a short and painful experience for you.

You are a POS.

Corby Anderson
1979 ChE MSU
Butte, Montana
Dear Caupey,

Waaaaa, grow a pair. Nothing on my end to apologize about. You come on this board trying to brag about being an MSU alum, Bobcat Club member, and QB Club member. Guess what - so are many of us on this board. You brag about talking to Zac Crews. Well, young Mr. Crews was being recruited by the Cats at the same time he was being recruited by the griz. If you indeed spoke with him in any regards about football and MSU, that was a possible recruiting violation. Yet, here you are talking about it. Sorry you feel slighted on an anonymous internet message board. Maybe you need to look elsewhere for reassurance.

Love, Camo
Dude, you need to step away and take a break. Seriously.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:58 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:14 pm
cat4lyf wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:10 am
My only hope is that his racist remark does not pull the team apart. I believe he should have a second chance. Coach V will have a great plan to integrate him into the team and reform his racism; a "Remember the Titans" type spring camp.
I think it’s player rep but the mods need to get rid of this a-h#@le. He is a low life instigator and does not belong on this board.
Orrrr...maybe, just MAYBE...the mod has looked into and actually knows more than a bunch of wanna be anonymous internet detectives? :-k

The guy may be incredibly cringeworthy and awkward, but it is the reaction of everyone else that causes issues on this board. So I suggest you look in the mirror.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:01 pm

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:28 pm

Some of y’all take message boarding way too seriously.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:36 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:37 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:16 am
PapaG wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:07 am
aucat wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:41 am
Today's Bozeman Daily Chronicle has a story on this. As for me, while I know he was just 15, and it's easy to say "second chance" this all makes me very nervous. I'm looking at the national coverage that is taking place with the Alabama basketball player who provided the gun that killed a young mother a few weeks ago. One of the guys involved was a bench rider and was immediately suspended and referred to as a "former player" but now we find out that the star of the team was involved, and guess what, he's still on the team. And they are being ridiculed nationwide. Deservedly so in my opinion. Yes Crews was young, but we're talking about something that could really disrupt our team and the program. Personally, I wish he would go somewhere else.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 70486.html
Adult college student involved in a murder is EXACTLY the same as a 15 y/o kid saying a racial slur! Seriously?

Still waiting for @TomCat to comment on the Marcus Stokes situation at Florida, because apparently he read the name and assumed he is Black.
Well, I posted that I wasn’t going to comment any further and linked a site that I felt overwhelming put this into perspective.

The incident I was referencing turned out to be from five years ago and was unconfirmed per Snopes. So my apologies.

As for Marcus Stokes, I followed that incident and realized he’s white. It has more media attention than this case because of the high profile of UF.

This incident, which has its similarities to the Stokes incident, isn’t going to gain traction nationwide and isn’t getting much traction statewide at this point and I doubt it will barring some entity like the ACLU getting involved. The fact that they haven’t could be telling, I don’t know. I’m not saying one incident is less or more problematic than the other. Just that, of the people following it, very few seem to be outraged by it in a pro or con Crews sense. Every cause needs a champion(s) and I’ve yet to see one.

The Cat-Griz news cycle is much slower than the 24-hour sports news cycle, so when the next incident eventually pops up this one is probably going to fade into obscurity, if not sooner — I’m giving it about two weeks.

And that’ll be it for commentary from me.
That’s fine and all, but you posted this and “just had” doesn’t mean 5 years ago. As a decent journalist, it’s OK to say you erred. It would be refreshing in today’s climate of Yellow Journalism and Muckraking.

A Black player at a prominent P5 school just had his scholarship pulled for using a racially insensitive term.
I apologized. That’s saying I erred.

Yes, I said “just had” because I didn’t see the date line. So I thought it “just had” happened. What next, you going crack down on me for saying I wasn’t going to comment about it anymore? 🤣 Because I feel just as bad about that as I do these ‘egregious mistakes’ I made. Again, my apologies to everyone for not looking closer.

Yes, we’re all sick of propaganda posing as news organizations. It’s not, however, like I knew for a fact that what I was saying was wrong to my audience, and then got caught texting co-workers things like, "mind-blowingly nuts," "totally off the rails" and "completely bs" about my sources like ‘that guy’ on ‘that one’ propaganda network.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:20 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:28 pm
Some of y’all take message boarding way too seriously.
Yeah sometimes I confuse it with waterboarding!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:28 pm

Any chance we can delete this post? Just checking.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:29 pm

This is the egriziest thread I’ve ever seen on BobcatNation.

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:32 pm

Girls, girls, you're all pretty.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:55 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:29 pm

Haha. So true

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:39 pm

:D
Catsrgrood wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:29 pm
I don’t wanna point fingers, but whenever you get Hooked, Gregory, and Cataholic in the same room, it gets explosive.

Team10

Post by Team10 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:10 pm

Can't wait to see what happens a couple years down the road if he is chosen to wear #41. Hopefully someone brings this thread back to page 1 and more finger pointing is done. I will sit back and read every comment while I giggle like Ron Swanson.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:39 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:11 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:23 pm
HookedOnGriz wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:56 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:23 am
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:23 am
HookedOnGriz wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:12 pm
Hauck was trying to bring him on to the Griz as a walk on, just like the Cats are doing. He didn’t have Zac address the team and beg for forgiveness because it was still damn new at the time and there were Griz players (very good ones) threatening to leave the team if he was allowed to join. Once the Kaimin got involved and claimed taking him on would take the Griz backwards 10000 steps, I don’t think Hauck had a choice. It wasn’t that look ago that Hauck had to sit in front of a community panel in Missoula when he was being hired at UM again forced to make promises that the kids will stay out of trouble. It is what it is.
Sounds reasonable and true. I don’t think that will fly around here.
Except that Hauck continually misled the Crews family. He told them them that UM would bring Crews on and then backed out of that promise. Maybe if Hauck had been honest with the family, they could have made educated decisions about what to say in public (like with Butte Sports) and got ahead of any Kaimin article. Hauck’s handling of the situation was extremely poor and has even affected the Griz’s recruiting position with future Sentinel prospects.
Let’s flip the script so we can see how you would handle it…..If you were the coach of the Cats and you tried to bring Crews on after he posted an emoji of a black man with a gun to his head and used the “N” word and it was made public by former Cats players on social media publicly calling out MSU and its coaches….then you had at least 10 current players from your Cats roster telling you they are entering the portal if Crews is allowed an opportunity….then you have Cats players saying “no we don’t need or want him to come in and explain his side and apologize”…..how do you handle it? Serious question…please share how you would handle this as I’m very intrigued.

Hauck isn’t perfect, but in this situation he could have blown up the entire team/program by letting him join. Did he piss off Zac and the family with that decision….sounds like it. Would I rather he piss off the Crews family than blow up the program…1000000000000000000000000%.

Again, how do you handle it?
That's now how the Crews family sees it, according to the article by Bill Foley. Hauck and co. told Crews to lie low and said he'd have a scholarship still available, Crews wanted to address the team and was denied this request, and then when the article came out it all blew up and Hauck cut ties (he had no choice at this point).

To me this shows a lack of foresight by Hauck. He was hoping it wouldn't blow up but that's just burying your head in the sand with today's modern world, but Hauck is anything but modern. If he had let Crews address the team and make a more public attempt to reconciling, maybe it wouldn't have gone the way it did and he'd be a Griz. I'm not saying it would have gone differently at MSU, pure conjecture but Hauck's approach blew up. I don't think Hauck "screwed him over" necessarily but the fact that he didn't see a media firestorm coming was his mistake in this. Crews wanted to get out in front of it, Hauck wanted to be quiet and under the radar.
You mean exactly like Vigen and MSU are doing? They have kept his joining the Cats very quiet and under the radar too, correct? In fact it was Crews himself who put it out on social media that he was joining the Cats. The football dept or coaches have never announced it, and have kept it all very hush hush. In fact, when the reporters got a hold of the story (due to Zac’s social media) they pressed MSU for comment. MSU made no comment and only stated he isn’t officially on the roster. It sounds like this took them by surprise as well. I heard they weren’t thrilled Zac put this info out on social media. And I guarantee they are already facing some backlash too. I have cats friends who are football supporters who aren’t thrilled with it and have made their opinions heard. After not firing a coach who has gotten his 3rd DUI, the optics here are pretty bad. Did Vigen lack foresight here as well? Is this going to become bigger than he hoped? I heard Ifanse was pretty vocal about Crews not joining the program last year. I bet he’s not the only one.
Keep trying to inflame this issue. It’s not working. Go back to EGriz where they thrive on this kind of bull sh-t.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:41 pm

This thread needs to be deleted.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:45 pm

kmax wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:58 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
cat4lyf wrote:
My only hope is that his racist remark does not pull the team apart. I believe he should have a second chance. Coach V will have a great plan to integrate him into the team and reform his racism; a "Remember the Titans" type spring camp.
I think it’s player rep but the mods need to get rid of this a-h#@le. He is a low life instigator and does not belong on this board.
Orrrr...maybe, just MAYBE...the mod has looked into and actually knows more than a bunch of wanna be anonymous internet detectives? :-k

The guy may be incredibly cringeworthy and awkward, but it is the reaction of everyone else that causes issues on this board. So I suggest you look in the mirror.
Seriously? Man the sentence and grammar patterns match up with PR so much I would've put money down. I actually don't mind PR so I would've found it all funny. But ill take your word for it.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:53 pm

lutecat wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:45 pm
kmax wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:58 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
cat4lyf wrote:

Seriously? Man the sentence and grammar patterns match up with PR so much I would've put money down. I actually don't mind PR so I would've found it all funny. But ill take your word for it.
He's created at least 4 different accounts since last fall and its amazing how consistent he is with each character. One post will have multiple grammatical errors then the next (from the same poster) will be a perfect paragraph...then the next one will be mostly perfect but with only a few words misspelled. The subtlety is quite impressive if you pay attention.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Smellycat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Smellycat » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:16 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:11 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:23 pm
HookedOnGriz wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:56 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:23 am
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:23 am
HookedOnGriz wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:12 pm
Hauck was trying to bring him on to the Griz as a walk on, just like the Cats are doing. He didn’t have Zac address the team and beg for forgiveness because it was still damn new at the time and there were Griz players (very good ones) threatening to leave the team if he was allowed to join. Once the Kaimin got involved and claimed taking him on would take the Griz backwards 10000 steps, I don’t think Hauck had a choice. It wasn’t that look ago that Hauck had to sit in front of a community panel in Missoula when he was being hired at UM again forced to make promises that the kids will stay out of trouble. It is what it is.
Sounds reasonable and true. I don’t think that will fly around here.
Except that Hauck continually misled the Crews family. He told them them that UM would bring Crews on and then backed out of that promise. Maybe if Hauck had been honest with the family, they could have made educated decisions about what to say in public (like with Butte Sports) and got ahead of any Kaimin article. Hauck’s handling of the situation was extremely poor and has even affected the Griz’s recruiting position with future Sentinel prospects.
Let’s flip the script so we can see how you would handle it…..If you were the coach of the Cats and you tried to bring Crews on after he posted an emoji of a black man with a gun to his head and used the “N” word and it was made public by former Cats players on social media publicly calling out MSU and its coaches….then you had at least 10 current players from your Cats roster telling you they are entering the portal if Crews is allowed an opportunity….then you have Cats players saying “no we don’t need or want him to come in and explain his side and apologize”…..how do you handle it? Serious question…please share how you would handle this as I’m very intrigued.

Hauck isn’t perfect, but in this situation he could have blown up the entire team/program by letting him join. Did he piss off Zac and the family with that decision….sounds like it. Would I rather he piss off the Crews family than blow up the program…1000000000000000000000000%.

Again, how do you handle it?
That's now how the Crews family sees it, according to the article by Bill Foley. Hauck and co. told Crews to lie low and said he'd have a scholarship still available, Crews wanted to address the team and was denied this request, and then when the article came out it all blew up and Hauck cut ties (he had no choice at this point).

To me this shows a lack of foresight by Hauck. He was hoping it wouldn't blow up but that's just burying your head in the sand with today's modern world, but Hauck is anything but modern. If he had let Crews address the team and make a more public attempt to reconciling, maybe it wouldn't have gone the way it did and he'd be a Griz. I'm not saying it would have gone differently at MSU, pure conjecture but Hauck's approach blew up. I don't think Hauck "screwed him over" necessarily but the fact that he didn't see a media firestorm coming was his mistake in this. Crews wanted to get out in front of it, Hauck wanted to be quiet and under the radar.
You mean exactly like Vigen and MSU are doing? They have kept his joining the Cats very quiet and under the radar too, correct? In fact it was Crews himself who put it out on social media that he was joining the Cats. The football dept or coaches have never announced it, and have kept it all very hush hush. In fact, when the reporters got a hold of the story (due to Zac’s social media) they pressed MSU for comment. MSU made no comment and only stated he isn’t officially on the roster. It sounds like this took them by surprise as well. I heard they weren’t thrilled Zac put this info out on social media. And I guarantee they are already facing some backlash too. I have cats friends who are football supporters who aren’t thrilled with it and have made their opinions heard. After not firing a coach who has gotten his 3rd DUI, the optics here are pretty bad. Did Vigen lack foresight here as well? Is this going to become bigger than he hoped? I heard Ifanse was pretty vocal about Crews not joining the program last year. I bet he’s not the only one.
Oh ******. If you knew Ifanse you'd understand how stupid this statement is. MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS SHUT THIS BS THREAD DOWN.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:18 pm

Just saw some pics of Garrett Walchli on instagram. Why have they kept his joining the Cats quiet and under the radar? The football dept or coaches have never announced it, and have kept it all very hush hush. :coffee:

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

chadtothebone
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by chadtothebone » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:54 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:18 pm
Just saw some pics of Garrett Walchli on instagram. Why have they kept his joining the Cats quiet and under the radar? The football dept or coaches have never announced it, and have kept it all very hush hush. :coffee:
Well, hopefully this does not lead to another 9 page thread….

Ty Gregorak- "Football is as American as a Dad chasing his kids with power tools"