Colson Coon Commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Colson Coon Commits

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:34 pm

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Colson Coon Commits

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:38 pm

If Colson was truly only offered a PWO, MSU will have gotten three Wyoming GPOY players as PWOs in the past 6 years.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:53 pm

If we got him on a walk on offer that’s a steal! He had those offers from several fbs schools

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:53 pm

spring creek cat wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:53 pm
If we got him on a walk on offer that’s a steal! He had those offers from several fbs schools
Just Mississippi State, I think.

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:55 pm

I thought Wyoming and csu. Maybe I am mixing thoughts today

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:01 pm

spring creek cat wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:55 pm
I remember an article where he was fairly unhappy Wyoming hadn’t been in contact at all.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:04 pm

Just a wild guess here, but Isaiah's sudden transfer may have allowed for a financial offer to Colson. I simply can't believe we got him as PWO even though that was our original offer.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:05 pm

spring creek cat wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:55 pm
I never saw a Wyoming or a CSU. The only thing I saw from that area was D2 University of Northern Colorado

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:08 pm

Welcome Colson! Excited to see you in a Bobcat uniform!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:30 pm

CatBot wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:04 pm
Just a wild guess here, but Isaiah's sudden transfer may have allowed for a financial offer to Colson. I simply can't believe we got him as PWO even though that was our original offer.
Coon has phenomenal HS stats, and seems like a fine player. He also didn’t get recruited by essentially any FCS schools, including the nearby BSC. Nothing against Coon at all as I think he’ll be a solid member of the team, but I’d be surprised if any athletic money had to be offered to get him here.

Travelingcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Travelingcat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:37 pm

I *love* this pickup.

Only the 2nd ever two-time state player of the year in Wyoming.

Set an all-time state record with 519 rushing yards in the state semi-finals this year and then almost singlehandedly won the game for his team in the state finals by scoring every point for his team, rushing for three TDs, scoring on a pick six, kicking two FGs (including a 44 yarder!) and making all four extra points.

He's just been completely dominant at his level and strikes me very much as one of those "kids from WY or MT who just won't get recruited outside the state and nobody will take a chance on who them comes in and is outstanding.

He has a much stronger HS profile than his brother who, while buried on our initial RB depth chart, did a very nice job when he was in there, averaging more than six yards a carry.

I think it's hugely significant that "The Pirate" (the late Mike Leach) who won by ignoring consensus and finding talent where others didn't, offered him a PWO at Mississippi State.

I think this kid is just a football player, and I will be very surprised if he doesn't become a significant contributor for us.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:50 pm

Travelingcat wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:37 pm
I *love* this pickup.

Set an all-time state record with 519 rushing yards in the state semi-finals this year and then almost singlehandedly won the game for his team in the state finals by scoring every point for his team, rushing for three TDs, scoring on a pick six, kicking two FGs (including a 44 yarder!) and making all four extra points.

He's just been completely dominant at his level and strikes me very much as one of those "kids from WY or MT who just won't get recruited outside the state and nobody will take a chance on who them comes in and is outstanding.

He has a much stronger HS profile than his brother who, while buried on our initial RB depth chart, did a very nice job when he was in there, averaging more than six yards a carry.

I think it's hugely significant that "The Pirate" (the late Mike Leach) who won by ignoring consensus and finding talent where others didn't, offered him a PWO at Mississippi State.

I think this kid is just a football player, and I will be very surprised if he doesn't become a significant contributor for us.
A "football-playin' Jesse", as Jeff Choate was fond of saying. I agree.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:38 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:50 pm
Travelingcat wrote:
I *love* this pickup.

A "football-playin' Jesse", as Jeff Choate was fond of saying. I agree.
Surprised Dallas cowboys haven't drafted him. They need a kicker. And a few other positions.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:40 pm

Travelingcat wrote:
I *love* this pickup.

With you on this. Colson is a kid who has that "it" factor. Can't wait to see this kid play. Cats got a good one today!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:50 pm

Just watched his tape for the first time. The aspects of his game that really stand out are his vision and instincts. Glad to have him on board. I agree with Dr. Noisewater in that he looks like a football playing Jesse.

Travelingcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Travelingcat » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:19 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:50 pm
Just watched his tape for the first time. The aspects of his game that really stand out are his vision and instincts. Glad to have him on board. I agree with Dr. Noisewater in that he looks like a football playing Jesse.
Agree that his vision and his feet are what really stand out on tape. Reminds me less of his brother who is more of a power runner and more of Lane Sumner, who has been a very good back for us when healthy. His long speed may be lacking judging from the tape, which may partially explain the lack of recruiting activity, but with his feet and vision, he should still be able to do very nicely at this level.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:35 pm

He’s a really good wrestler too.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:30 pm

So, are we going to nickname him Coco?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:39 pm

Travelingcat wrote:
I *love* this pickup.

Unless you are talking about an athlete from another sport, Colson even says he is the 1st 2x for Wyoming.

https://twitter.com/colsoncoon/status/1 ... V_MebnTzyA

Punters are people too!!

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:02 pm

Colson, is going to be one of the steals of this class. The kid is a flat out stud. Damn glad to have him in Blue and Gold. Go Cats!