Lonyatta Alexander Jr. commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Lonyatta Alexander Jr. Possible commit

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:17 am

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:13 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:59 am
ND0479 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:21 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:43 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:38 pm
Transfer from UW.
And a former 4 star. I know how you love those ratings. :D
4 star talent level with a -2 star commitment level. I’m sure he has his reasons but you have to raise an eyebrow at 3rd school in 3 years.

Anyways, welcome to Bozeman and hope he finds what he’s looking for with the Cats!
Exactly! Why not build with what we have?!?! I bet this makes him an automatic starter since he is coming from FBS level just like they have done with the others. I don’t like the feel of this…
He's got 3 years of eligibility left and only had one catch last year. He's essentially a high school recruit with college practice experience. Only technically an FBS dropdown at this point.
Technically that means everything to coaches. Look at the history. These transfers don’t even have to compete. Even everyone on this board has the transfers immediately starting. We don’t know their work ethic, fit or ability but yet we grant them the starting positions…

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Lonyatta Alexander Jr. commits

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:18 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:12 am
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:04 am
I can't imagine McCulloch is coming here to be a backup, but with Thomas returning and Alexander committing, someone has to give, unless they start Thomas at H and use Taco in specific situations and formations?

I love Taco but at his size I'm not sure he's an every down WR.
I agree, something has to give and my guess it will be by way of WR’s transferring out after Spring (just like last year). Why stick around if the coaching staff is no longer interested in developing and utilizing what they currently have. Just my opinion of course…
Taco will be fine. He’ll get plenty of playing time. This guy doesn’t play his position.

But yeah, there will probably be some transfers. There’s always attrition. The coaches job is to bring in the best talent they can. No offense to the WR crew, but Alexander and McCullouch are more talented than the majority of them. This isn’t about the coaches not developing WR’s, or not being interested in it (they’ve done a great job with the WR’s imo), this is about making the roster better. I know you really like Taco, but you can’t expect him to be an every down player at his size.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:26 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:17 am
coloradocat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Transfer from UW.
4 star talent level with a -2 star commitment level. I’m sure he has his reasons but you have to raise an eyebrow at 3rd school in 3 years.

Anyways, welcome to Bozeman and hope he finds what he’s looking for with the Cats!
Exactly! Why not build with what we have?!?! I bet this makes him an automatic starter since he is coming from FBS level just like they have done with the others. I don’t like the feel of this…
He's got 3 years of eligibility left and only had one catch last year. He's essentially a high school recruit with college practice experience. Only technically an FBS dropdown at this point.
Technically that means everything to coaches. Look at the history. These transfers don’t even have to compete. Even everyone on this board has the transfers immediately starting. We don’t know their work ethic, fit or ability but yet we grant them the starting positions…
Is there a history of FBS transfers being handed the job? Just because they almost always end up starting doesn't mean they didn't earn it. Typically you are bringing in a transfer in an area of need which to me would explain the high rate of winning the starting job.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:27 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Transfer from UW.

Can you name one instance where you know a transfer has been guaranteed a starting spot, or started over somebody better than them?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:41 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:27 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Transfer from UW.

Can you name one instance where you know a transfer has been guaranteed a starting spot, or started over somebody better than them?
Exactly. I can't remember an instance where a transfer came in and took the starting spot and everyone here was upset about it. And you know they would have been if it was even remotely warranted.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:52 am

Welcome to Montana State Football, sir!

Hope you understand this is just a sports chat room and that there are many loyal (and fickle) fans as with any and all college programs. Also, this is small college football and the only way to actually get to Frisco, Texas is to be damn good at blocking. If a team throws the ball much over ten times a game they won't make it to Frisco; you better win the 50-50 when it does come your way.

Have fun. It's just a game for now. Lots of career options if you truly love the game not limited to just playing. Study wisely and make good choices.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:58 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:27 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Transfer from UW.

Just complete nonsense.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:12 pm

There has been a strong culture built and an expectation for sustained high-level results. Coaches have tremendous pressure on them to continue meeting these expectations year after year after year. Does anyone here really expect much less than a trip to the quarters or semis every year now? That’s the standard the coaches have now. Their careers and family’s livelihood depend on it. The reality of college football is that you have to mix transfer and high school recruits to keep pace. Not every strong high school recruit develops in college. And that’s not on the coaches the majority of the time in a good program. Some kids continue to grow and mature for 5 years and some dominate, but peak, in high school. Some of it is physical, some of it is not. College athletics is a different world and the demands are 10-fold over high school. And you simply can’t predict with certainty how any high school will react at this level. That’s why there’s a hundred kids on the roster and a fair amount of attrition. I agree that program built via the transfer portal isn’t the best or sustainable. You need a strong high school recruiting base and absolutely need to supplement with transfers.

How would 2022 have ended up without Ravi Alston and Clevan Thomas? Were there two other guys ready to compete at their level?

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:29 pm

tdub wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:12 pm
There has been a strong culture built and an expectation for sustained high-level results. Coaches have tremendous pressure on them to continue meeting these expectations year after year after year. Does anyone here really expect much less than a trip to the quarters or semis every year now? That’s the standard the coaches have now. Their careers and family’s livelihood depend on it. The reality of college football is that you have to mix transfer and high school recruits to keep pace. Not every strong high school recruit develops in college. And that’s not on the coaches the majority of the time in a good program. Some kids continue to grow and mature for 5 years and some dominate, but peak, in high school. Some of it is physical, some of it is not. College athletics is a different world and the demands are 10-fold over high school. And you simply can’t predict with certainty how any high school will react at this level. That’s why there’s a hundred kids on the roster and a fair amount of attrition. I agree that program built via the transfer portal isn’t the best or sustainable. You need a strong high school recruiting base and absolutely need to supplement with transfers.

How would 2022 have ended up without Ravi Alston and Clevan Thomas? Were there two other guys ready to compete at their level?
Well f you take transferring out of it, it would've been Jaden Smith & likely Charles Brown. I don't think it would've been that much of a difference and I'm a big fan of Ravi and CT.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:57 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Transfer from UW.

And by "we" I assume you mean the fans? How much weight does the average fan's opinion of whether a player should start or not carry?

Do you think the coaching staff has an idea of their work ethic, fit or ability? Do you think the coaching staff automatically grants them a starting position?

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:06 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Transfer from UW.

I get the sense you may be a parent or relative based on some of the posts. Mostly positive but a few digs here and there at coach decisions, playing time,etc. As an outsider I don't know if we have anyone in the program
ready to fill WR holes, but I think it is a lot like RB. WR may catch and be fast but if they don't block in our scheme time is limited. If RB fast, breaks tackles but can't pick up a blitz, time is limited.

Sports is not bigger than life

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:09 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:29 pm
tdub wrote:

Well f you take transferring out of it, it would've been Jaden Smith & likely Charles Brown. I don't think it would've been that much of a difference and I'm a big fan of Ravi and CT.
And there is my point. That’s why transfers coming in is necessary. My response was to the notion of the poster that says to just develop your high school recruits and not bring in a good transfer.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:13 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Transfer from UW.

Good thing everyone on this board isn't making the depth chart decisions.

Sports is not bigger than life

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:38 pm

tdub wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:09 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:29 pm
tdub wrote:

And there is my point. That’s why transfers coming in is necessary. My response was to the notion of the poster that says to just develop your high school recruits and not bring in a good transfer.
Yeah, I love the idea of developing your HS recruits and don't really love the idea of transfers, but I know they're necessary. I think it makes it too easy for the coaches to give up on a kid and bring in a 24 year old hired gun for a season.

Either way, the coaches have proven they bring in quality guys from the portal so as much as I don't like it, I'll trust them and award them with my fandom.

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:57 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:06 pm
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Transfer from UW.

I get the sense you may be a parent or relative based on some of the posts. Mostly positive but a few digs here and there at coach decisions, playing time,etc. As an outsider I don't know if we have anyone in the program
ready to fill WR holes, but I think it is a lot like RB. WR may catch and be fast but if they don't block in our scheme time is limited. If RB fast, breaks tackles but can't pick up a blitz, time is limited.
Nope, not the case at all. And hell yeah, I’ll speak my mind when I think coaches decisions are not correct. I’m definitely not a “in coaches I blindly believe in” type of guy but that’s what makes forums so great, right? Imagine if we all agreed on every aspect?!?! I respect everyones view on here…at the end of the day, I’m positive we all want the same thing.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:20 pm

I got wind he was potentially coming last week, but I kind of assumed he was headed to Idaho, who just signed his little brother in December:

https://247sports.com/player/xeree-alexander-46102661/

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:59 pm

A few more interesting facts, Lonyatta played at Kennedy Catholic in Burien, and that team was loaded.

Sam Huard, broke the WA state passing record, ended up at UW and just transferred to Cal Poly of all places.
Jabez Tinae WR is at UW
Reed Shumpert WR is at WSU
Justin Baker WR/RBo/DB is at Cal
Sav'ell Smalls LB/DE is at UW

So that would be 5 guys who signed P5 offers out of high school that were on the field together at one point.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:02 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:59 pm
A few more interesting facts, Lonyatta played at Kennedy Catholic in Burien, and that team was loaded.

Sam Huard, broke the WA state passing record, ended up at UW and just transferred to Cal Poly of all places.
Jabez Tinae WR is at UW

So that would be 5 guys who signed P5 offers out of high school that were on the field together at one point.
One more interesting fact, i'm pretty sure Kennedy is also the alma mater of Joey Thomas.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:15 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:59 pm

Jabez Tinae WR is at UW

Huard hasn’t announced for anywhere yet, btw.

Travelingcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Travelingcat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:20 pm

The devil will be in the details (attitude, willingess to block etc.), but I love this pickup. This guy was a top 300 prep recruit. I have not been around the program that long, but how many of those have we had here?

We have two proven guys in Thomas and Dowler (who should take a big jump in year 2) along with McCulloch, who was a proven and productive receiver at the Mountain West level. Now we are adding a guy who, even if he was overrated in HS, figures to have plenty of talent to succeed at this level. And if we get any production out of our other young guys, we have a very strong receiver room. Add to that two excellent TEs and Mellott will have no shortage of targets to throw to next year.