Ifanse in portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Ifanse in portal

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:33 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:26 am
What scares me most about this decision is the potential reasoning he may have had to make this move. Is there a problem inside the locker that would force us to lose one of the most dynamic offensive players we've ever had? With the way the offense is constructed now, was he concerned about receiving only a limited number of carries next season? Was he bothered with the way the coaching staff handled his rehab this past season, i.e., was he ready and wanting to play earlier that he did but the coaches held him back in order to get one more year out of him? Sometimes I'm just a worst-case scenario guy, and I'm really hoping that I am wrong this time......maybe he just wanted to play somewhere where it's warm.
MSU has lost two key players to the portal so far this year, while dozens of others have chosen to stay. It always sucks to lose players as good as Ifanse and Glessner but the fact that they're the exceptions and not part of a larger exodus of players shows there isn't a problem with the culture within the program.

You may bring up a good point about the limited number of carries. With Mellott and Chambers both being major running threats as well as guys like Sumner, Elliot, Jared White, Marqui Johnson, Taco, etc. on the roster there isn't going to be one single guy who's a "workhorse" and gets most of the touches in 2023. Maybe at SJSU Isaiah will be able to be that type of player, although to me it reflects well on MSU to have that much talent still on the roster despite losing their all-time leading rusher.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:43 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:33 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
What scares me most about this decision is the potential reasoning he may have had to make this move. Is there a problem inside the locker that would force us to lose one of the most dynamic offensive players we've ever had? With the way the offense is constructed now, was he concerned about receiving only a limited number of carries next season? Was he bothered with the way the coaching staff handled his rehab this past season, i.e., was he ready and wanting to play earlier that he did but the coaches held him back in order to get one more year out of him? Sometimes I'm just a worst-case scenario guy, and I'm really hoping that I am wrong this time......maybe he just wanted to play somewhere where it's warm.
MSU has lost two key players to the portal so far this year, while dozens of others have chosen to stay. It always sucks to lose players as good as Ifanse and Glessner but the fact that they're the exceptions and not part of a larger exodus of players shows there isn't a problem with the culture within the program.

You may bring up a good point about the limited number of carries. With Mellott and Chambers both being major running threats as well as guys like Sumner, Elliot, Jared White, Marqui Johnson, Taco, etc. on the roster there isn't going to be one single guy who's a "workhorse" and gets most of the touches in 2023. Maybe at SJSU Isaiah will be able to be that type of player, although to me it reflects well on MSU to have that much talent still on the roster despite losing their all-time leading rusher.
Not running 30 times a game would probably be a relief. We beat that horse pretty much all of 2021.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:48 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:58 am
rivercat wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:50 pm
The portal has not been kind to BSC RB's.

Elijah Dotson:. Sac St to Northern Colorado

"Marcus Knight, an All-American running back for #GrizFB in 2019 after scoring a program-record 25 touchdowns, entered the transfer portal late last season.

He has made his decision: He will stay in Missoula to play for the University of Montana lacrosse team"
I thought this was a joke until I listened to Colter's show. Wow.
MSU RBs transfer to FBS.
UM RBs transfer to LAX.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:16 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:43 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:33 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:

Not running 30 times a game would probably be a relief. We beat that horse pretty much all of 2021.
Yep, he was the bellcow all season in 21 and was the reason his injury was so bad and recovery/rehab was so long.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:47 pm

I always felt like the hit that finished of his injury was a pretty cheap shot. The Sam Houston defender hit him right on the knee as he was crossing the goal line, and probably letting off the gas a little, on that long run.

mongoo99
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mongoo99 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:53 pm

How about this for a reason: the single season rushing record at SJSU is 1,601 yards in 2015 by Tyler Ervin. Perhaps he thinks that's within reach, or perhaps he's been sold on that possibility.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:17 pm

SJSU average attendance for their home games was around 16400 fans....hmmmmmmm

I wish him well

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:55 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:33 am
My only gripe about the situation is that all the time, effort, and records at MSU, will fall to the side when he makes the NFL and his school is announced as SJSU.
And that might not turn out as bad as you think. Aaron Rodgers announces his school as Butte Community College (which is where he went before he played at Cal) fairly often. If Ifanse makes the NFL he can announce whatever he wants.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:01 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:55 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:33 am
My only gripe about the situation is that all the time, effort, and records at MSU, will fall to the side when he makes the NFL and his school is announced as SJSU.
And that might not turn out as bad as you think. Aaron Rodgers announces his school as Butte Community College (which is where he went before he played at Cal) fairly often. If Ifanse makes the NFL he can announce whatever he wants.
For Isaiah, if not for the CATS he would possibly not have this opportunity.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:20 pm

Trade of Isaiah Ifanse for Tre Webb, straight up!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:32 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:36 am
To me this is a positive move for the greatest running back MSU has had the privilege of having ever play in the Gallatin Valley. San Jose State is rich in their athletic history and produced two of my favorite Olympic sprinters. Everything about the area is positive; hell, their returning quarterback transferred from Hawaii for Christ's sake! He had a pretty good career there.

I understand exactly why a young man would want to get the hell out of Bozeangeles if they're not from the area an not into hunting and fly fishing.

https://www.sjsu.edu/
Better weather…. And that is literally it. Every other factor seems to favor MSU. Head scratcher. Still confused why a legend would transfer out the final year when they had the option of staying. Might be a woman involved… lol

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:49 pm

Maybe he has NIL deals similar to UT RB Bijan Robinson? Robinson's now over $2 million with Lamborghini, Raising Cane's Chicken, C4Energy, Centre, DAZN and Cameo. He latest deal is the best, where his Bijan Mustardson claims "It's like a touchdown in your mouth!"

...cough...cough....pardon me....

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:15 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:32 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
To me this is a positive move for the greatest running back MSU has had the privilege of having ever play in the Gallatin Valley. San Jose State is rich in their athletic history and produced two of my favorite Olympic sprinters. Everything about the area is positive; hell, their returning quarterback transferred from Hawaii for Christ's sake! He had a pretty good career there.

I understand exactly why a young man would want to get the hell out of Bozeangeles if they're not from the area an not into hunting and fly fishing.

Better weather…. And that is literally it. Every other factor seems to favor MSU. Head scratcher. Still confused why a legend would transfer out the final year when they had the option of staying. Might be a woman involved… lol
Maybe he wants to test his ability against competition like USC, Oregon State, Boise State, Fresno State and be on national TV. Not so hard to imagine.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:30 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:32 pm
Cat Grad wrote:

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/report ... nvestments

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2022/5/18 ... ics-center

Or he knows more than some are giving him credit for by all outward appearances. Their returning quarterback is damned good and he transferred from a good Hawaii team.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:21 pm

And again, Cats would beat them, will probably be playing for a national Championship in Frisch, and I promise you the electric game day atmosphere in Bozeman is way better.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:59 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:21 pm
And again, Cats would beat them, will probably be playing for a national Championship in Frisch, and I promise you the electric game day atmosphere in Bozeman is way better.
He's 23 years old and a 6th year senior. He's certainly looking ahead to the next step at this point. I doubt gameday atmosphere is a major factor in the decision, especially as a reason to stay at MSU. It's 6 times a year for 4 hours and he's already experienced 5 years of Bobcat Stadium.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:15 am

I think that article explains a lot. Isaiah is an excellent student. Perhaps a career in Silicon Valley beckons. Warm weather is much, much kinder to injuries. And he gets to help open a new $70 million Spartan Athletic Center. For a one-year deal that could be his last in football, it sounds sweet.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:30 am

And he helped get Alexander to transfer to MSU.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GavinDonos

Post by GavinDonos » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:03 am

I’m wishing Isaiah the best and am happy he moved on instead of one of our younger stud RB’s. The future is now.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:29 am

San Jose is certainly comfortable weather-wise and a nice city that’s close to a lot of fun stuff to see and do. Great place to network for good jobs too. My uncle, also an MSU grad, has lived in San Jose for 50 years now and loves it there. However, if Isaiah thought Bozeman was an expensive place to live, wait until he gets to San Jose.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter