Transfer Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 am

topshelfthepuck wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:30 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:40 pm
Great news on Clevan T ! A proven all weather WR with "Kassis hands" and does a great job blocking. Has a chance to be the #1 WR next year as he can really open up the long routes with his skills. Wouldn't be surprised to see him as a team captain as well. =D^
Not a chance he's an offensive captain for next year. Sure a senior leader and talks, so hopefully younger guys listen and follow, but Tommy, Snell, Perk Lane and probably even Chambers well ahead of him for Team Leadership roles on the offensive side in 2023.

I'd say Grebe and Valdez the front runners for the 2 defensive captains.

And hear me out, I'm happy Clevan is back and maybe he does take the WR Room leadership with Willy P graduating. Going to be needed on and off the field for sure, but he's way down the list of that role.
Obviously you would be surprised, that is your opinion. I would not be surprised, that is my opinion. Not a chance? The team will pick their captains come fall practice, and then we will know.
Carry on.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:48 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 am
topshelfthepuck wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Great news on Clevan T ! A proven all weather WR with "Kassis hands" and does a great job blocking. Has a chance to be the #1 WR next year as he can really open up the long routes with his skills. Wouldn't be surprised to see him as a team captain as well. =D^
Not a chance he's an offensive captain for next year. Sure a senior leader and talks, so hopefully younger guys listen and follow, but Tommy, Snell, Perk Lane and probably even Chambers well ahead of him for Team Leadership roles on the offensive side in 2023.

And hear me out, I'm happy Clevan is back and maybe he does take the WR Room leadership with Willy P graduating. Going to be needed on and off the field for sure, but he's way down the list of that role.
Obviously you would be surprised, that is your opinion. I would not be surprised, that is my opinion. Not a chance? The team will pick their captains come fall practice, and then we will know.
Carry on.
I’m sure Cat4lyf has spoken to CT and his family. Maybe he can chime in his thoughts on his leadership traits.

aucat

Post by aucat » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am

Sometimes this portal appears to be such a joke. Take a look at this article about this guy about to head to his FOURTH school. How can you maintain any academic credibility? What's your major? Travel agent? Bus Driving? Anyway, NonStop Local News last night made a big deal about UM picking up FIVE transfers from FBS schools, including the QB from Boise State. Not the way to build or maintain a program IMO.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-alabama ... 50166.html

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:36 am

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:48 am
Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 am
topshelfthepuck wrote:
Bobcatsinmso wrote:

Carry on.
I’m sure Cat4lyf has spoken to CT and his family. Maybe he can chime in his thoughts on his leadership traits.
Its appalling there hasnt been an appreciation post yet. :lol:

Hating the griz since 02.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:46 am

aucat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 am
Sometimes this portal appears to be such a joke. Take a look at this article about this guy about to head to his FOURTH school. How can you maintain any academic credibility? What's your major? Travel agent? Bus Driving? Anyway, NonStop Local News last night made a big deal about UM picking up FIVE transfers from FBS schools, including the QB from Boise State. Not the way to build or maintain a program IMO.

I know. I can’t believe that schools are bringing in transfers.

Who would want, or need, players like Chambers, Sterk, Manning, Webb, Thomas (Clevan and Joey), Stewart, etc, etc.

There should be a limit as to how much one can transfer and still play immediately, but I’m not going to trash kids who want to go somewhere to play more, or at a higher level. MSU has brought in lots of transfers before too, and in general, it has worked out well. Every major program does it. So when you say it’s no way to build or maintain a program, literally every major college coach disagrees with you. Saban does it. Kirby Smart does it. Dabo does it. Maintaining and building a program is about adding talent. Do it however you have to.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:46 am

Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:40 am
I think the big lesson I’ve learned from the transfer portal this off-season so far is that if you’re good enough to start at at tackle for Dixie State, you’re good enough to start at tackle for UM.
There is no more Dixie State.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:09 pm

allcat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:46 am
Lord Vigo wrote:
I think the big lesson I’ve learned from the transfer portal this off-season so far is that if you’re good enough to start at at tackle for Dixie State, you’re good enough to start at tackle for UM.
Oh wow, Utah Tech is the former Dixie State. Didn't know that until just now. Is it a cancel-thing?

what are they gonna do about this??

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:44 pm

Here's a new one! Bold move, Cotton.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:50 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Who would want, or need, players like Chambers, Sterk, Manning, Webb, Thomas (Clevan and Joey), Stewart, etc, etc.

There should be a limit as to how much one can transfer and still play immediately, but I’m not going to trash kids who want to go somewhere to play more, or at a higher level. MSU has brought in lots of transfers before too, and in general, it has worked out well. Every major program does it. So when you say it’s no way to build or maintain a program, literally every major college coach disagrees with you. Saban does it. Kirby Smart does it. Dabo does it. Maintaining and building a program is about adding talent. Do it however you have to.
Decent argument with one exception. Kirby did not add any kids via the portal. Doesn't really need to.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/aro ... QE3XUHN6Y/

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:05 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:50 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Decent argument with one exception. Kirby did not add any kids via the portal. Doesn't really need to.

A couple transfers a year is one thing, but I seem to remember us getting in some pretty hot water when we had a coach that like to build rosters off them.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:16 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:05 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
aucat wrote:

A couple transfers a year is one thing, but I seem to remember us getting in some pretty hot water when we had a coach that like to build rosters off them.
That's true, however, that was also in the days before the portal. Many of the transfers were junior college kids, who were academic, non-qualifiers coming out of high school.

The portal sure at another wrinkle to the exact science of recruiting. Do you mostly focus on recruiting and developing high school kids and hope they don't move up if they are highly successful? Do you focus on guys who are dropping down from power five schools who are looking for playing time?

It's all super interesting.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:23 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:05 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
aucat wrote:

It worked for Riley at USC, TCU and that hippy school in Lawrence, Kansas. I'm looking forward to what Coach Prime does with Colorado's hippy school.

Wonder what's going to happen to JUCO athletics now.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:33 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Their starting QB transferred to Georgia from JUCO.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:44 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:33 pm
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Bennett started his career at Georgia, transferred to JUCO, then transferred back to Georgia.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:56 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:44 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Bennett started his career at Georgia, transferred to JUCO, then transferred back to Georgia.
Still used the transfer portal to do it. :roll:

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:01 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:56 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:44 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Still used the transfer portal to do it. :roll:
Do non-NCAA schools use the transfer portal? I wouldn't think so, but honestly don't know.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:35 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:09 pm
allcat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
Oh wow, Utah Tech is the former Dixie State. Didn't know that until just now. Is it a cancel-thing?

100% it's a cancel culture thing.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:13 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:09 pm
allcat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:

Probably this?

Then he'll go to Bozeangeles to visit Sharon again...

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:23 pm

Ah yes, "cancel culture" caused the Utah state legislature to overwhelmingly vote in favor of the name change and then the governor to sign off on it.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:29 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:23 pm
Ah yes, "cancel culture" caused the Utah state legislature to overwhelmingly vote in favor of the name change and then the governor to sign off on it.

Is the cancel culture the same as being woke? Or are they on the other side? All I know is the woke crowd are just like the hippies back in the day.