"Inferiority complex"

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: "Inferiority complex"

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:33 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:09 pm
Pecos24 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:47 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:13 pm
The way in which I see most Cat fans manifest an "inferiority complex" is in an unwillingness to express confidence when the Cats are really stinking good. Even when they're great, it seems like there is a ton of hesitance to call it like it is.

On the other side, Griz fans are irrationally confident, even when UM is mediocre. I had Griz fan friends texting me on Saturday that the Cats were gonna get blown out. They were so certain.

I think it's just residual from the streak era.
Not just the streak era, I think the Ash era added to this as well. How many times did we go into to that game with what should have been a competitive or even a dominant team and then get our asses kicked. That makes a fan a little gun shy.
Yeah those Ash teams were soft.

Not no more!
I’ve never disliked a coach more. He wasted so much talent.

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:34 pm

Get over it.

It ain’t important, at all.

Keep Coach Holland, and all the Bobcat family, in your prayers today.

Happy Thanksgiving

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:07 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:33 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:09 pm
Pecos24 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:47 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:13 pm
The way in which I see most Cat fans manifest an "inferiority complex" is in an unwillingness to express confidence when the Cats are really stinking good. Even when they're great, it seems like there is a ton of hesitance to call it like it is.

On the other side, Griz fans are irrationally confident, even when UM is mediocre. I had Griz fan friends texting me on Saturday that the Cats were gonna get blown out. They were so certain.

I think it's just residual from the streak era.
Not just the streak era, I think the Ash era added to this as well. How many times did we go into to that game with what should have been a competitive or even a dominant team and then get our asses kicked. That makes a fan a little gun shy.
Yeah those Ash teams were soft.

Not no more!
I’ve never disliked a coach more. He wasted so much talent.
I really liked him as a human being and as an ambassador for bobcat football. I used to defend him harder than i will today, but i still think he was the right guy at the right time that stayed a bit too long and got a bit too comfortable. Choate was the right guy at the right time. And Vigen is the right guy to carry this program to sustained dominance. I've never been more confident going into any given game than i am right now. We just win. It's pretty outstanding.

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:07 pm

I really liked Ash and the offenses he put together. It would’ve been a much different term for him had he not been so blindingly loyal to Marshall’s inept defensive schemes. Even with marginally more effective defenses later in his tenure, we would’ve been legit. Instead, it was shoo-outs that we started losing.

As to the topic at hand, I won’t give up the ESG GCG chant. Ever.

I started school in the late 90s, not long after the streak began, and witnessed more than a few, last-minute, griz magic heroics. And with it, the vitriolic and toxic griz fandom that followed. It was awful. I was on the receiving end of some really terrible things because I'm an MSU grad; things said to me that would make your grandmother blush, damage to car and personal property, and plenty of character attacks.

F@ck the griz and f@ck their awful, terrible, arrogant, and toxic fans. In fact, I want our own streak, and I don't want it close. I want those m-effers in Missoula to suffer for decades. I want them mired in mediocrity for a generation. I want them to suffer on a scale they've not yet seen. FTG all day, every day.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:30 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:19 pm
FA_Q_M wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:06 am
This is sure to be a very unpopular opinion, but I believe we/MSU fans show our "inferiority complex" when we participate in the "ESG GCG chant." I'm not talking about when we do the chant when we're beating the Griz by 4 possessions, I'm talking about when we bust it out vs Eastern Tennessee or when we beat Northern Colorado.

I, personally, think the chant is rather sophomoric, but I do understand its power. AND I do know Griz fans absolutely loathe it.

I propose we use it exactly TWICE per year: right AFTER whomever we beat the week prior CAT/GRIZ, and during the 4th quarter of the game itself. Use it sparingly; make it mean something, weaponize it.

This has a snow ball's chance in hell of happening...
This is me. When that cheer went up several times in the sea of Cat fans in Frisco I was super annoyed. Who gives a sh!t about a football team that was eliminated a month earlier… I guess Cat fans do as we are about to play for a Natty.
Meh, drunk people gonna do drunk people things...

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:02 am

Watching the bewilderment of the opposing team when that chant comes out is great. It's like a Jedi mind trick. I say keep it going

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:20 am

Dmsubrew wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:02 am
Watching the bewilderment of the opposing team when that chant comes out is great. It's like a Jedi mind trick. I say keep it going
You just can’t tell people to not have a good time. Whenever that song comes on it’s hard not to at least think those words during that part of the song. I’m sure that song’s not available on any juke boxes (or whatever they’re called now) in Missoula. Would be interesting to be a fly on the dash if that song ever came on in a UM fan’s car. I’m just saying, they need to learn to laugh along with it, because it’s not going away anytime soon. Someone should make a copy of MSU’s fans doing it and tweet it to Billy Idol to see what he thinks.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:17 am

When we won the National Championship in '84 I had some t-shirts made up for my wife and myself that said "Poooor Grizzlies" on the back. I caught some grief for that and, after thinking about it, I agreed and stopped wearing the t-shirt.

The grief I caught was from more "veteran" Bobcat fans who shared their feelings that we, as the superior school, shouldn't be acknowledging them at all.............GREAT POINT.

I now don't participate in any chants/cheers regarding the Grizzlies unless we are playing them.......or are hosting Gameday the day we play them! :)

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:37 am

Mony mony came on the jukebox last year in Frisco a couple nights before the game. The chant breaks out in the bar I was in. The barmaids were wearing NDSU shirts. The next day I went to the same place in the late afternoon for lunch and a girl working the night before was telling one of her coworkers about it. Hearing her recount the whole thing made me love it even more.

Having one of the best rivalries in sports is why it is this way. For those who are to mature I’m sure there are some more civilized ones to choose from. I think ours is the best and plan to enjoy being a prick to griz fans for the rest of my life.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:42 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:29 am
utucats wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:58 am
At the end of the day Colter can pretend to not be a fan but year after year there are examples of his griz homer syndrome.

These guys are our rival and this game matters to both sides but Colter claims to just love college football and have no bias. That is a crock of ******.
I’m around Colter quite a bit and I don’t think he cares. He wants both teams to do well because it’s good for business among other reasons. He appreciates great athletes and teams no matter the uniform. I’ve heard him say Cat fans shouldn’t need to be so harsh on the Griz because they have the upper hand in so many ways as long as a year ago. I just think he hears that a lot, in part, because people perceive he’s a Griz fan.

There are just a lot of people who are triggered at all times. I have had lots of Griz fans over the years that go off on me about how much they hate the Cats. I’ve never understood why they felt the need to run MSU down when it was constantly on public display that they were owning MSU in sports, especially women’s BB and FB, and their team definitely had the upper hand.

UM fans really did rub it in to a point of demoralizing Cat fans back in the 90s and 00s. I’m sure part of the reason was because MSU fans laid it on thick from the 60s to 80s when it was winning NCs and going to Camellia Bowls and winning a majority of Cat-Griz games. So they were ready for payback. The stage after demoralization is anger and Cat fans have been angry a long time. Hopefully, now that they have the upper hand, they’ll give UM fans a lesson in graciousness like Tommy Mellott did in front of a statewide television audience after the game. If everyone does this in the sincere manner he did it might cool things down going forward. Obviously, everyone should have fun with it, but should use good judgment on what is going too far. There’s always going to be those who go too far. Mellott gave a few examples. But I think everyone actually has good judgment. They just need to use it.
I’ve always enjoyed Colter’s work but I don’t believe him for a second that he has zero bias.

As for the rest of your post, I have many friends who are griz fans and I’m gracious enough to maintain those friendships but I’m a big enough Cats homer that they stay away from me for a few days after we dominate them. Best few days of the year!

sdsyvie
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by sdsyvie » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:26 am

utucats wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:37 am
Mony mony came on the jukebox last year in Frisco a couple nights before the game. The chant breaks out in the bar I was in. The barmaids were wearing NDSU shirts. The next day I went to the same place in the late afternoon for lunch and a girl working the night before was telling one of her coworkers about it. Hearing her recount the whole thing made me love it even more.

Having one of the best rivalries in sports is why it is this way. For those who are to mature I’m sure there are some more civilized ones to choose from. I think ours is the best and plan to enjoy being a prick to griz fans for the rest of my life.
Here's the kicker right here for mony mony...

While the chant a bit off color, and seems out of place, it's something special when so many folks can unite and sing or do any chant as a fan base together. It's these moments in schools fight songs, or I think of the braves war cry, that just rock a place. Like this story of the barmaid, it stands out as unusual and awesome.

Ps: i was born in 85, and I grew up attending thanksgiving just north of Missoula, even went to Missoula playoffs games, usually in cat gear. (Everything that was said above above by the fella from Missoula is truth) it cut deep, and now makes me want there program pushed to irrelevant. So the only time we talk about the griz is the good old days when we had a rivalry 😉🤣

BFcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BFcatfan » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:30 am

bobcat_pride wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:01 am
Zoo_Cat wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:38 pm
While Colter’s comments were more of a generalization of past years and not representative of most of the current fan base mindset, the fact that this thread was posted continues to show a sensitivity to what others think about the MSU program, especially how it perceived compared to UM.
Could that, possibly, be because cats feels the team slighted by the playoff bracket? Come online 3 days later to feel the players were slighted by the conference awards?

I’ve said a million times over the last year I would gladly lose to the griz if it meant we kept going to Frisco. To me, the “inferiority complex” has nothing to do with the neighbors and every thing about how the bobcats aren’t taken seriously on a national scale, despite showing they should be and quite frankly need to be.
I think it’s best the players have a chip on their shoulder from lack of respect.. playing with a chip on their shoulder usually doesn’t end well for the other side

With success comes attention, with attention comes cockiness, with cockiness comes arrogance, with arrogance comes rudeness...and they wonder why I hate the Griz ! FTG

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:07 pm

utucats wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:42 am
TomCat88 wrote:
utucats wrote:
At the end of the day Colter can pretend to not be a fan but year after year there are examples of his griz homer syndrome.

These guys are our rival and this game matters to both sides but Colter claims to just love college football and have no bias. That is a crock of ******.
I’m around Colter quite a bit and I don’t think he cares. He wants both teams to do well because it’s good for business among other reasons. He appreciates great athletes and teams no matter the uniform. I’ve heard him say Cat fans shouldn’t need to be so harsh on the Griz because they have the upper hand in so many ways as long as a year ago. I just think he hears that a lot, in part, because people perceive he’s a Griz fan.

There are just a lot of people who are triggered at all times. I have had lots of Griz fans over the years that go off on me about how much they hate the Cats. I’ve never understood why they felt the need to run MSU down when it was constantly on public display that they were owning MSU in sports, especially women’s BB and FB, and their team definitely had the upper hand.

UM fans really did rub it in to a point of demoralizing Cat fans back in the 90s and 00s. I’m sure part of the reason was because MSU fans laid it on thick from the 60s to 80s when it was winning NCs and going to Camellia Bowls and winning a majority of Cat-Griz games. So they were ready for payback. The stage after demoralization is anger and Cat fans have been angry a long time. Hopefully, now that they have the upper hand, they’ll give UM fans a lesson in graciousness like Tommy Mellott did in front of a statewide television audience after the game. If everyone does this in the sincere manner he did it might cool things down going forward. Obviously, everyone should have fun with it, but should use good judgment on what is going too far. There’s always going to be those who go too far. Mellott gave a few examples. But I think everyone actually has good judgment. They just need to use it.
I’ve always enjoyed Colter’s work but I don’t believe him for a second that he has zero bias.

As for the rest of your post, I have many friends who are griz fans and I’m gracious enough to maintain those friendships but I’m a big enough Cats homer that they stay away from me for a few days after we dominate them. Best few days of the year!
Totally agree - I didn't read the reference so may be out of line here, but if he said that about Cat fans and not gris fans he is being a typical "reporter" (as so many main stream are) telling one side of a story, therefor pushing a particular narrative. When there isn't an unbiased editor to keep things in check, it will come out in the story.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

js1010
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by js1010 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:11 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
utucats wrote:

That made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Bobby Hauck has always been the most arrogant asshole about the entire thing that its now comical to hear gris fans, Colter included, complain about the hostility of it these days. Hauck has shown so little respect for our university that he refuses to refer to it by name, saying we don't deserve to share the name Montana. He hates the town of Bozeman so much he'd rather force his team to drive Bozeman Pass on gameday instead of stay in town. As they continue their steady march to irrelevance, both in academics and athletics, I may be able to forget about them entirely some day, but not while they still employ that Grade-A douche-bag.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:56 pm

First and foremost, Colter has worked harder and has put out more quality content covering the BSC and especially our 2 universities than any reporter in the last number of years, and it isn’t even close. Thank you Colter. Colter’s reporting on the Bobcats and Griz is as unbiased as any you are likely to find. If there is any bias it is both subtle and innocuous enough that it hardly meets a level to be worth calling it bias, and hardly worth all the attention it gets here on BN. Having said that, in both his written and audio content there sometimes is a certain tone and timbre that does have a distinct tilt to it. To me it is very similar to talking with someone with an accent from a different part of the world like Boston or Oklahoma or Canada or England. Sometime during the conversation you can just tell they’re from one of those places. To maintain journalistic integrity Colter works to be unbiased (show no accent) but every once in a while he will say or write something that shows he has had far more exposure to Griz influence than Bobcat influence. That doesn’t mean he’s biased but it’s certainly a noticeable thing whether he can or wants to see/hear or believe it.
Sometimes I wonder if Colter puts something out for the sole purpose of riling up one fan base or the other so that there will be a thread like this perhaps resulting in more traffic to Skyline Sports. hahaha To help him out, below are all his contact info. (not sure he wants my help or that I am any help) hahaha

TWITTER:@Skylinesportsmt
FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/skylinesportsmt1
BIG SKY BREAKDOWN ON ITUNES
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/big ... 1131856462
SUBSCRIBE TO SKYLINE
https://skylinesportsmt.com/subscriptions/

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:11 pm

js1010 wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:11 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
utucats wrote:

That made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Bobby Hauck has always been the most arrogant asshole about the entire thing that its now comical to hear gris fans, Colter included, complain about the hostility of it these days. Hauck has shown so little respect for our university that he refuses to refer to it by name, saying we don't deserve to share the name Montana. He hates the town of Bozeman so much he'd rather force his team to drive Bozeman Pass on gameday instead of stay in town. As they continue their steady march to irrelevance, both in academics and athletics, I may be able to forget about them entirely some day, but not while they still employ that Grade-A douche-bag.
Come on Man, embrace the hate!

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:53 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:11 pm
js1010 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
utucats wrote:

I lived through the late 70s and 80s teams and I don’t remember any significant animosity between the fans and teams, certainly not like it was in the 90s and definitely after Bobby took over. I do remember watching Cat-gris in Missoula in 1984 and some fans there throwing food at us, but they came down and apologized after the game. The real hate definitely started later, when the gris started having a measure of success and the Cats went flat. Social media has made the hate explode too.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:02 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:53 pm
Montanabob wrote:
js1010 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
utucats wrote:

I lived through the late 70s and 80s teams and I don’t remember any significant animosity between the fans and teams, certainly not like it was in the 90s and definitely after Bobby took over. I do remember watching Cat-gris in Missoula in 1984 and some fans there throwing food at us, but they came down and apologized after the game. The real hate definitely started later, when the gris started having a measure of success and the Cats went flat. Social media has made the hate explode too.
That's just a general truism.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:13 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:53 pm
Montanabob wrote:
js1010 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
utucats wrote:

This is exactly my experience. Gris fans have always been a bit arrogant but it started to get bad in the 90's. I blame Hauck for poisoning the whole rivalry. I rooted for the gris for years, well into the streak. But things have gotten bad enough that I cannot even root for their women's golf team anymore.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire