FCS Selection Show

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: FCS Selection Show

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:42 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:42 pm
A few weeks again I was standing over by the food trucks near the west end zone and the horses were all lined up for the run out. One of the horses took a dump and some people have to sweep it up.

Anyways, that’s what comes to mind when I consider where they slotted MSU.

They should be above everyone other than SDSU and there isn’t even really a compelling counter argument.
Sac State has 1) a better record
2) more wins against the playoff field
3) one of those wins on the road
4) a harder schedule
5) an FBS win in a blowout vs the Cats getting blown out

Sac put together one of the best seasons in the history of FCS football. I've yet to even hear anyone offer a compelling argument as to why MSU should be ranked above Sac.

The only reason-and its not remotely compelling to anyone not wearing blue and gold colored glasses- is that our "quality loss" to OSU should jump us ahead of Sacs quality win against CSU.

Which, quite frankly is exactly the logic that gris fans are using today.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:15 am

He talks a lot about MSU and Montana

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:34 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:42 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
A few weeks again I was standing over by the food trucks near the west end zone and the horses were all lined up for the run out. One of the horses took a dump and some people have to sweep it up.

They should be above everyone other than SDSU and there isn’t even really a compelling counter argument.
4) a harder schedule

Sac put together one of the best seasons in the history of FCS football. I've yet to even hear anyone offer a compelling argument as to why MSU should be ranked above Sac.

The only reason-and its not remotely compelling to anyone not wearing blue and gold colored glasses- is that our "quality loss" to OSU should jump us ahead of Sacs quality win against CSU.

Here’s one. They are better at football.

I don’t have time today to trade arguments. I’m on the road. But I believe MSU has proven over the last two years that they are head and shoulders better than SAC.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:35 am

Catprint wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:32 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:20 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:15 pm
It feels strange to say it but the top of the FCS is stacked with 3 elite teams and NDSU.
Two* elite teams, SAC, and NDSU.
I have odd feelings about SAC. They seem so pedestrian and like they are barely hanging on. But they always find a way to win and Coach Taylor has lost like 2 Big Sky games in three years. Going 11-0 in FCS in the BIg Sky is a huge accomplishment. Yes, they have bombed in two playoffs but they are getting huge crowds this year and I think Taylor will fix that problem. I think they get to the Semi's but maybe not further. Still, until someone beats them, they are elite.
Cats by 14 in Sacramento.

Cats by 28 in Bozeman.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:22 am

Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:34 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:42 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:

4) a harder schedule

Here’s one. They are better at football.

I don’t have time today to trade arguments. I’m on the road. But I believe MSU has proven over the last two years that they are head and shoulders better than SAC.
Could be. I haven't watched enough Sac football to know. What I do know is that Sac has a head and shoulders better resume for the top seed right now than anyone else in the country.

And its not even close.

Zero doubt they earned that seed.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:17 am

I just hope Sac State doesn't nosedive in the playoffs like they have in the past. Winning a few games helps the Big Sky...

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:33 am

gtapp wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:15 am

He talks a lot about MSU and Montana
Nice to hear an unbiased person confirm my feelings - MSU got completely F'd!!!

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:58 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:17 am
I just hope Sac State doesn't nosedive in the playoffs like they have in the past. Winning a few games helps the Big Sky...
It certainly does. But I have a vengeful streak and I’d be quite ok with them doing their usual Suck State in the playoffs and pulling an early exit. That will teach the committee to seed them where they do, all while giving us some silent revenge for the poor seeding.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:06 pm

Catprint wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:02 pm
The difficult part is simply that the committee gives regionalization a lot more consideration than any of us want them to do. We were going to have to play Idaho, Weber, UND or Gris if Weber did not get a seed. Sac got a crappy draw last year with SDSU in the first game as SDSU was the #9 team and almost got a seed. Guess just got to win.
Sac lost to UT Martin in the second round, didn't they?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:08 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:06 pm
Catprint wrote:
The difficult part is simply that the committee gives regionalization a lot more consideration than any of us want them to do. We were going to have to play Idaho, Weber, UND or Gris if Weber did not get a seed. Sac got a crappy draw last year with SDSU in the first game as SDSU was the #9 team and almost got a seed. Guess just got to win.
They did because UT Martin then came to Bozeman for the L we handed them.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:13 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:59 pm
We are all talking about playing Weber but it's not a given they beat UND guys. Frankly I have no real problems with our draw. We were always going to match up regionally in the 2nd round and they weren't going to put the Griz against us again. Would you all rather play Idaho? When we win that 2nd round game, we get a GREAT draw for the quarterfinals at home. Then if it's off to SDSU for the semis then so be it. If our defense plays better, we are going to beat Weber by 20. And if UND upsets them, they do not match up well against our offense at all. The Tribe are decent but again they don't march up with our offense. Go take care of business and we are back in Frisco!

Plus our special teams MVP plays for Weber...
I for one would rather play Idaho. WSU/MSU is always a very physical game. Bad for a deep run.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:18 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:26 pm
The silver lining; we should be glad Sac State beat Davis, because if they hadn't we might have a date with NDSU in the semis in the dome again.
Definitely a plus.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:50 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:08 pm
WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:06 pm
Catprint wrote:
They did because UT Martin then came to Bozeman for the L we handed them.
That was Austin Peay in 2019. They lost to SDSU last year.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:54 pm

Only thing I’ve been able to come up with is the committee is pissed because we blew up last years bracket and they want to show it was a fluke. So they are making the road tougher this year

Either that or they got Montana State and the gris mixed up and demoted us when they meant to the western college of dance

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:03 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:54 pm
Only thing I’ve been able to come up with is the committee is pissed because we blew up last years bracket and they want to show it was a fluke. So they are making the road tougher this year

Either that or they got Montana State and the gris mixed up and demoted us when they meant to the western college of dance
It sure seems like it. I’m still struggling to Instagram understand their reasoning for penalizing us after we ran the table in conference, and smoked our bitter rivals after a nationally televised College GameDay. It’s like the biSon get the better seed because they used to be good…

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:11 pm

catgrad05 wrote:

I don't think the committee was pissed or wanted to punish MSU, they just happened to get the short end of the stick on regionalization this year. Last year UM had to play Eastern in Round 2, and NDSU and SDSU have been bracketed together before. When Weber wasn't seeded it was pretty clear to me that MSU would get either them or Idaho.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:32 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:11 pm
catgrad05 wrote:

I don't think the committee was pissed or wanted to punish MSU, they just happened to get the short end of the stick on regionalization this year. Last year UM had to play Eastern in Round 2, and NDSU and SDSU have been bracketed together before. When Weber wasn't seeded it was pretty clear to me that MSU would get either them or Idaho.
But if so worried about regionalization why is Idaho going to Louisiana

Sports is not bigger than life

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:35 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:32 pm
MSU01 wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:

Because this is the same committee that changed the rules this test for no reason?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:38 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:32 pm
MSU01 wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:

Fair point, they could've matched up Idaho with Weber and UM with UND. Even then MSU would've had a Big Sky opponent for Round 2. They aren't going to send all the western at large teams out east for Round 2.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:42 pm

When they put 8 of 24 in from west and Midwest because they are best regionalization makes no sense,if top 4 teams come from there let them be final 8. It will make other conferences step up.

Sports is not bigger than life