How good is the Cats offense?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

How good is the Cats offense?

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:27 pm

I think they’re quite good and have said so for quite a while! There was certainly some hand wringing after the NAU game, but we still scored 41 points. But do the statistics back up what the eye test tells me. With one game left in the season the season stats should reflect pretty well on actual performance. First off, we are 1st in the conference and 3rd in the nations for scoring offense, 44ppg. That’s good perhaps very good, we are also 1st in the conference and 3rd in the nation in total yard per game, which is also quite good, 506 ypg. (National rankings are estimates since they haven’t been updated for this last weekend). It may not be the whole story because everyone plays a different strength of schedule. So, there is one more layer that i think reveals how good we are. How did we do head-to-head against our opponents?

The first column is our opponent. Second column is what their defense gives up yds/game, season average. 3rd column is Cats offense in that game. Final column is Cats performance compared to the season average of that opponent.

McNeese. 441 541 +100 Home
Morehead 465 585 +120 Home
Oregon St. 336 269 -067 Away
Eastern W. 523 466 -057 Away
U. C. Davis 379 552 +173 Home
Idaho State 450 465 +015 Home
N. Colorado 464 481 +017 Away
Weber State 301 487 +186 Home
N Arizona U. 429 552 +123 Away
Cal Poly SLO 529 784 +255 Away

Other than the OSU and EWU games you can see we have plus yards, sometimes a lot, compared to what they normally give up.

Below is the same chart for scoring offense.

McNeese. 34 40 +6
Morehead 38 63 +25
Oregon St. 22 28 +6
Eastern W. 42 38 -6
U. C. Davis 21 41 +20
Idaho State 35 37 +2
N. Colorado 39 37 -2
Weber State 18 43 +25
N. Arizona U 30 41 +11
Cal Polly SLO 39 72 +33

In scoring other than EWU and UNCU we have scored more compared to what teams normally give up. Put these two stats together and it tells me that UNCU and EWU have terrible defenses, so it's hard to beat their averages, plus we played a poor game against EWU, lost our starting QB in the first qtr. etc. also both these games on the road.

None of these statistics should be too shocking considering we are 9-1. The most surprising thing to me is, except for Poly, we played our best offensive games (relatively) against the two best defenses in the conference, Davis and Weber.

Conclusion not only is the Cats offense good, but it can rise to the occasion! Saturday, we face the best defense in the conference, and I believe we rise to the occasion one more time. My analysis of the stats tells me, Cats score in the neighborhood of 40 points and that's enough to win!! But we had better #RTDB

It's a long week got to find something to do. :)

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: How good is the Cats offense?

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:01 pm

I don't know how good it is compared to other MSU teams or other teams in general. The best part about MSU's offense is how consistent it has been. No team in school history has scored 28 points or more in all its games through 10 games. And it isn't even close. That number is 37 when you just count FCS games. Seven of 10 games between 37 and 43 points.

I think it all goes back mainly to the offensive line, but you also need to recognize all the other players blocking on plays.

I think the most impressive stat-pack you could do is MSU's average ypc in each game compared to what the opponents average ypc allowed.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:39 pm

Really ****** good.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:56 pm

The Cats offense is very good. As long as we stick with our strength running the ball and take what the defense gives us in the passing game, reaching 30 should be no problem. The defense and special teams is the question.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:22 pm

Somebody do “how mediocre is our defense”

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:12 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:22 pm
Actually what gave me the idea to do this thread was the hundred page thread, that was mostly negative, about the Cats defense. So in my opinion that’s been sufficiently covered. I realize that’s life these days but not sure why so many people wanna focus on the negative.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:43 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:12 pm
Counter Assault wrote:
Actually what gave me the idea to do this thread was the hundred page thread, that was mostly negative, about the Cats defense. So in my opinion that’s been sufficiently covered. I realize that’s life these days but not sure why so many people wanna focus on the negative.
Offense is definitely the strength of this team, but I'll keep saying the defense isn't as bad as some have made it out to be. The NAU game contributed to that a lot, and I'll die on the hill of saying the offense didn't do them any favors. For some reason the defense has been worse with a lead. Up 17 against NAU and then down 17-21 at halftime. Weber was up 24-9, mostly off two returns for TD. MSU had pretty well shut them down offensively except for one good drive. Cats go up big and the defense struggles. In both cases I'd argue the offense got a little too cute or a little too conservative, or both. I think if the offense clicks the whole game, the defense will too.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:46 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
:lol:

Cats and griz fans are still SO different that way.

They’re middle of pack in the conference playing for their playoff lives. Predicting blowouts and how terrible cats are.

We’re number 3 in the country and talking about how bad our D is and all the reasons we’ll lose.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:58 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:46 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:

They’re middle of pack in the conference playing for their playoff lives. Predicting blowouts and how terrible cats are.

We’re number 3 in the country and talking about how bad our D is and all the reasons we’ll lose.
The streak, now a generation removed, continues to haunt our brethren. I don't know if any amount of winning will cure them. Please offer them encouragement and support.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:20 am

rivercat wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:58 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:

The streak, now a generation removed, continues to haunt our brethren. I don't know if any amount of winning will cure them. Please offer them encouragement and support.
I’m trying!!

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:23 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:

Cats fans are just more realistic. We know our teams aren't perfect and we like to discuss game plans etc. on how we are going to overcome our weaknesses.

Griz fans have nothing but that team...so they can't help but pontificate about how they're the best no matter what (and if they aren't the best, it's always somebody else's fault).

Delusional fan base. They aren't all bad by any means...but most I've come across are maddening.

FlyCastingCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FlyCastingCat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:31 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:23 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:

Cats fans are just more realistic. We know our teams aren't perfect and we like to discuss game plans etc. on how we are going to overcome our weaknesses.

Griz fans have nothing but that team...so they can't help but pontificate about how they're the best no matter what (and if they aren't the best, it's always somebody else's fault).

Delusional fan base. They aren't all bad by any means...but most I've come across are maddening.
This.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:20 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:20 am
rivercat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:

I’m trying!!
You haven't offered a safe place they can go into.

Sports is not bigger than life

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:43 pm

rivercat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:

The only thing that would change that would be our own streak of 16 or more games. Or for the gris to suck historically for a decade plus, up to and including them dropping down a division. Only then would things flip for those of us that endured the streak and two decades of awful, toxic gris frandom.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:52 pm

They have the best YPC in the nation in the running game despite being 5th in total rushes.

That’s pretty dang elite on its own.

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:11 pm

Nobody has gone there yet but my gut tells me this is the best offense the Cats have ever had. We’ve had better players at nearly every position over time but as a team this offense is “the best ever.”

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:49 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:11 pm
Nobody has gone there yet but my gut tells me this is the best offense the Cats have ever had. We’ve had better players at nearly every position over time but as a team this offense is “the best ever.”
It's hard to say that with our inconsistent passing game but that's more than offset by the greatest rushing attack in school history (which is missing possibly the best RB in school history). Not sure which team would be better but would make for a great discussion.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:54 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:43 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:
Offense is definitely the strength of this team, but I'll keep saying the defense isn't as bad as some have made it out to be. The NAU game contributed to that a lot, and I'll die on the hill of saying the offense didn't do them any favors. For some reason the defense has been worse with a lead. Up 17 against NAU and then down 17-21 at halftime. Weber was up 24-9, mostly off two returns for TD. MSU had pretty well shut them down offensively except for one good drive. Cats go up big and the defense struggles. In both cases I'd argue the offense got a little too cute or a little too conservative, or both. I think if the offense clicks the whole game, the defense will too.
D was also terrible at EWU and at OSU.

D has been good to great every home game & terrible every road game (except UNC).

I don't see any reason why the D won't be plenty salty at home for the Brawl.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:56 pm

The Cat offense is at least as good as any offense I've seen play in the Big Sky in the last 20 years.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:28 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:11 pm
As far as putting points on the board, it's possible. It just doesn't "seem" like an offense you'd call the best ever due to the limited passing game.