BSC Finish Line

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: BSC Finish Line

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:57 am

I don’t want to ruin your fun, but Idaho State looked good. Nau is usually tough at home. MSU struggles at UNC. Poly always tough on MSU down there.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:05 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:57 am
I don’t want to ruin your fun, but Idaho State looked good. Nau is usually tough at home. MSU struggles at UNC. Poly always tough on MSU down there.
Pocatello is always a horrible place to play, and they play the Montana’s tough. Glad we get them at home again. They along with Idaho were bruising games last year. Let’s hope for health and a win next week. NAU is a wild card, I haven’t done much research on them this season but haven’t exactly been impressed. I expect we handle UNC better than in years past with a much better offense.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:13 am

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:05 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Pocatello is always a horrible place to play, and they play the Montana’s tough. Glad we get them at home again. They along with Idaho were bruising games last year. Let’s hope for health and a win next week. NAU is a wild card, I haven’t done much research on them this season but haven’t exactly been impressed. I expect we handle UNC better than in years past with a much better offense.
A lot of distractions at UNC, dangerous game. You've got to deal with no energy in the stadium, the smell, tight pants and flying clipboards. At least they put in turf so no concerns on the grass field.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

GeauxCats41

Post by GeauxCats41 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:26 am

kmax wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:13 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
A lot of distractions at UNC, dangerous game. You've got to deal with no energy in the stadium, the smell, tight pants and flying clipboards. At least they put in turf so no concerns on the grass field.
The smell… how can one forget about that. I am sure we will see some tight pants and clipboard gate signs in the stands (or so I hope). What are the odds that OC wears the largest pair he owns? Or does he double down? 😟

The Big Meowski

Post by The Big Meowski » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:38 am

kmax wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
The threat is real.
[img][img]

Brian Demarais
Sec. 105
Row 2
Seat 1

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:55 am

The Big Meowski wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:38 am
kmax wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
The threat is real.
[img][img]
Just imagine what kind of damage your kid could do now with almost two months of college under his belt. He'd make that whole sideline cry with his mean words. :lol:

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:57 am

TomCat88 wrote:
I see what you’re saying. I didn’t think ISU looked very good. At all. If Griz wouldn’t have shot themselves in the foot they should have been up nearly 30 late in the game. Kudus to them not throwing in the towel though.

I suppose in years past we for some reason struggled at NCU. Though I don’t see the relevance to this years team with this years coaching staff. But if you’re of the opinion ISU is good; I can see why you’d have reservations as NCU beat them by 3 touchdowns.

I’m not going to pretend every game sans Weber and UM will be a cakewalk. But I do think we’ll be favored in every game the rest of the season, and there’s no reason we shouldn’t expect to win them all barring injuries to key players. Then all bets are off.

I’m going to keep having fun! :wink:

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:11 am

Has a BSC team ever had a more difficult schedule than EWU has this year......???

@ Oregon
MSU ~#4
@ Florida
@WSU ~#6
Sac ~#5
@ Idaho (only 2 FBS losses)
@ Montana ~#3

I'm not sure if the BSC has had 4 of the top 7 ranked FCS teams before but we do now. EWU has all 4 on their schedule, in addition to having scheduled @Oregon & @Florida. Add in Idaho who appears to be a solid team.

2 teams from Power 5 conferences, 4 top 7 FCS programs along with another solid FCS team, 5 of those games on the road.........wowzzza! A 'character building experience' for sure. :D

wapiti

Post by wapiti » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:24 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:11 am
Has a BSC team ever had a more difficult schedule than EWU has this year......???

@ Oregon
MSU ~#4
@ Florida
@WSU ~#6
Sac ~#5
@ Idaho (only 2 FBS losses)
@ Montana ~#3

I'm not sure if the BSC has had 4 of the top 7 ranked FCS teams before but we do now. EWU has all 4 on their schedule, in addition to having scheduled @Oregon & @Florida. Add in Idaho who appears to be a solid team.

2 teams from Power 5 conferences, 4 top 7 FCS programs along with another solid FCS team, 5 of those games on the road.........wowzzza! A 'character building experience' for sure. :D
UC Davis has no cakewalk schedule this season either.
@ Cal L
@ South Dakota State L
San Diego W
BBQ L
@MSU L
NAU
@UNCU
CP
ISU
@UI
@Sac State

UC Davis should be favored in their next 4 games, before ending with 2 tough away games

UC Davies must win out for playoff consideration. One more loss and their max win total is reduced to 6.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:11 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Idaho State has some great players, and at times looked pretty good, but they have to come to Bozeman. Cats don't lose at home. I think playing at Bobcat Stadium is worth at least 10 points, maybe 13. I don't think ISU looks as good as UCD, UCD had some serious talent, and we controlled them. NAU could be interesting, but I remember a long time ago we hadn't won in Flagstaff forever, and Kramer commented something like, because they usually have a better team, and we think we're a better team this year. We beat them by like 60 points or something stupid like that. We're better than them, UNC, and Cal Poly, and should beat them all. As a fan I can predict that, and I know Vigen will have this team prepared like they're playing NDSU. Weber and UM will be super tough games. Again, it's very rare for us to lose at home so I see two games going down to the wire with the home crowd helping squeak our wins there. Might lose one of them but not both IMO.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GeauxCats41

Post by GeauxCats41 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:35 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:11 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Idaho State has some great players, and at times looked pretty good, but they have to come to Bozeman. Cats don't lose at home. I think playing at Bobcat Stadium is worth at least 10 points, maybe 13. I don't think ISU looks as good as UCD, UCD had some serious talent, and we controlled them. NAU could be interesting, but I remember a long time ago we hadn't won in Flagstaff forever, and Kramer commented something like, because they usually have a better team, and we think we're a better team this year. We beat them by like 60 points or something stupid like that. We're better than them, UNC, and Cal Poly, and should beat them all. As a fan I can predict that, and I know Vigen will have this team prepared like they're playing NDSU. Weber and UM will be super tough games. Again, it's very rare for us to lose at home so I see two games going down to the wire with the home crowd helping squeak our wins there. Might lose one of them but not both IMO.
This is why I don’t have a voice on Sunday. I cheer every down for defense. Gotta do our part for that +3.5 betting line at home!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:42 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:57 am
TomCat88 wrote:
I see what you’re saying. I didn’t think ISU looked very good. At all. If Griz wouldn’t have shot themselves in the foot they should have been up nearly 30 late in the game. Kudus to them not throwing in the towel though.

I suppose in years past we for some reason struggled at NCU. Though I don’t see the relevance to this years team with this years coaching staff. But if you’re of the opinion ISU is good; I can see why you’d have reservations as NCU beat them by 3 touchdowns.

I’m not going to pretend every game sans Weber and UM will be a cakewalk. But I do think we’ll be favored in every game the rest of the season, and there’s no reason we shouldn’t expect to win them all barring injuries to key players. Then all bets are off.

I’m going to keep having fun! :wink:
I thought ISU moved the ball consistently all game. UM did shoot itself in the foot, but so did ISU. ISU had a first and goal, but took a penalty and only got a FG. They also threw a bad interception that gave UM a short field and led to an easy score. UM needed some trickeration to get one TD and an ISU gaffe on the last play of the half gave UM a touchdown when it looked they were only going to get a FG attempt.

MSU has the two tough games vs UM and Weber, but I have a feeling — and the law of averages says — that at least one of the other four (3 on the road) is going to be a struggle. MSU’s defense hasn’t played as well as I thought they would. Can’t see an undefeated BSC season if that doesn’t change.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:48 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
ISU isn't as good as their "almost respectable" game against the griz made them look. Idaho State has the 105th worst rushing defense in the country. That does not bode well. Digging a little deeper, San Diego State for 350 and UM for 250 skews those stats a bit, but without question MSU is going to be the best rushing offense they've seen all year.

ISU's offense looked pretty decent and their 3rd string QB made some plays against the Griz, they may have found something with him, but that might be part of what threw the Griz off - a new QB they didn't have film on. If he can get the ball out quickly enough, expect more of the same we've seen all year - big chunk plays over the middle. But I just can't see them keeping up with us, unless we are turning the ball over or making bad special teams mistakes.

UNC scares me a bit more because it's on the road, and Dylan McCaffrey is starting to not be the worst QB in the conference. Plus they have Elijah Dotson who hasn't had a huge year yet but is certainly capable of taking a big one to the house.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:49 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:42 pm
MSU’s defense hasn’t played as well as I thought they would. Can’t see an undefeated BSC season if that doesn’t change.
On the flip side; MSU's offense has arguably played better than most thought. Do the two even each other out?

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:53 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:49 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:42 pm
MSU’s defense hasn’t played as well as I thought they would. Can’t see an undefeated BSC season if that doesn’t change.
On the flip side; MSU's offense has arguably played better than most thought. Do the two even each other out?
Yes it does in BSC games however rotation on the Dline is going to be pivotal to develop in order to get back to Frisco. It is not quite there yet IMO.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:13 pm

I love how Vigen is a level headed guy and doesn't rely on his team getting up emotionally for games to be successful like we saw a lot in the Kramer years. Obviously the talent is at a higher level now so you don't have to count on being "up" for every game, but getting caught napping doesn't scare me like it used to. MSU struggled down the stretch of the regular season last year, but otherwise hasn't had a close game with a bad team that I can recall (at Portland State last year maybe?). I know anything can happen but Vigen's businesslike demeanor carries over to the team and I can't imagine them overlooking someone.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:19 pm

1. Cats 7-1 loss to gris
2. Weber 7-1 loss to cats
3. Gris 7-1 loss to Weber
4. Davis 6-2 loss to Weber and MSU
5. Sac 5-3 (loss to Davis, Weber, um)
5. Idaho 5-3 (losses to UM, Sac & EWU)
7. EWU 5-3
8. PSU
9. NAU
10. ISU
11. UNC
12. Poly

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:55 pm

There are four Big Sky teams that are the cream which rises to the top.

CS Sacramento
Montana
Weber State
Montana State

A lot will be known after the mini-tournament on October 22 which also kicks off Weber’s back-to-back-to-back with Montana State, Montana and CS Sacramento. I see a big chance for having a little crowd of two-loss teams. No one escapes without a loss, but a one-loss team would win it all.

The only other team that shows anything like playoff form is … hmm … Idaho. They had very sound although losing games against two FBS teams, 24-17 with Washington St. (4-1) and 35-22 with Indiana (3-2). Washington St. is rated 9 places ahead of Oregon St. within the FBS. The Vandals (3-2) are out-scoring their opponents by 9 points per game (SAC 25, UM 29, WSU 25, MSU 11). Everyone else in the conference has been outscored by their opponents and has losing records. If the Big Sky gets five teams in the playoffs, the fifth will be Idaho, but they’ll need to finish 8-3 which is only possible if they defeat either CS Sacramento or Montana.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:41 pm

seataccat wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:19 pm
1. Cats 7-1 loss to gris
7. EWU 5-3
8. PSU
9. NAU
10. ISU
11. UNC
12. Poly
I don't think there is any chance SAC loses to Davis, Weber, and the Griz. IMO they beat UCD handily, and might split the other two. UM isn't beating them at SAC, and I think they've only lost what, 1 conference game in three years?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:07 am

seataccat wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:19 pm
1. Cats 7-1 loss to gris
7. EWU 5-3
8. PSU
9. NAU
10. ISU
11. UNC
12. Poly
This is a terrible prediction. Sac St is at worst the 3rd best team in the conference. No way they have 3 losses. The way they are playing I hate typing this but since we don't play them we are probably needing the gris to give them a conference loss, maybe @Weber or @EWU... but i doubt it. They are a very complete team.

My prognostication:
1. Cats 8-0
1. Sac St 7-1 (loses @Weber)
3. Weber 6-2 (lose @MSU and vs EWU)
4. um 5-3 (lose @MSU @Sac St @Weber)
4. EWU 5-3 (loss vs MSU and loses vs Sac St, @um)
4. Idaho 5-3 (loses @um, @Sac St vs EWU)
7. UC Davis 4-4 (loss vs Weber, @MSU and loses @Idaho, @Sac St)
8. PSU
9. UNC
10. NAU
11. CP
12. ISU

Cats, Sac St and Weber are seeds and um is playing Turkey day weekend. Idaho and EWU are a few of the first teams out with 6-5 overall records or maybe EWU is the last team in based off of SOS and a good win over Weber.
Also this somewhat of a heart pick. um could steal 1 or 2 of those games and finish a bit higher :-#

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing