QB #1

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB #1

Post by Rich K » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:06 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:03 am
PapaG wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:19 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:20 am
Incarnate Word beat Nevada 55-41
San Diego State trounced Idaho State 38-7
Hawaii defeated Duquesne 24-14
Fresno State defeated Cal Poly 35-7
San Jose State beat Portland State 21-17
UNLV trounced Idaho State 52-21
New Mexico blanked Maine 38-0
Weber State pummeled Utah State 35-7
Sacramento State destroyed Colorado State 41-10
Wyoming beat Northern Colorado 33-10
Air Force trounced Northern Iowa 48-17
Boise State defeated UT-Martin 30-7

The Mountain West conference played an 11 game FCS schedule (if you only count Idaho State once) this year. The schedule-makers were very kind, giving them all 11 games at home.

Looks like the MVC made it into the FCS playoffs as an unseeded "team" with an 8-3 record. They will face Southen Illinois in the first round with a trip to Missoula, Montana on the line for the winner. They were 1-3 (all at home) vs. other playoff teams - defeating UT-Martin but losing (badly) to Sac State, Weber State, and UIW.

There's your substance. The Mountain West is, on the whole, a fine conference and there is no disputing that they send significantly more talent to the NFL than does the Big Sky. That being said, MSU doesn't want to be just another rank-and-file Big Sky program. They want to contend for a national title every year. No one on BN would be happy with the above results for MSU, especially if they played every game at home!

I feel completely fine with my willingness to call upon past performance at Wyoming (especially because I was noting that he had both extraordinary games and terrible games) for Chambers and my feelings are perfectly intact (I find that people accuse others of hurt feelings are often the ones with hurt feelings, but that's another matter entirely). I think a healthy Mellott would easily start on a number (majority?) of MWC teams. To be fair, Chambers is playing with elite FCS talent and - on the whole - faces easier defenses than while at Wyoming. That take is spot-on.
That’s a lot of work to show that the MWC is significantly better than FCS teams, went 5-2 against the Big Sky, and it isn’t really relevant as they are one-off games and not an 11 game schedule of getting beat up by bigger and faster players. Also, you agreed with me at the end, so what was the point of that exercise?
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/fe/14/48E4CEF0-12BD-4D3B-95D8-C063C952C197/tmp.gif
You're going to have to really loosen up the security on your device for us to see that one.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:21 am

Rich K wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:06 am
catatac wrote:
PapaG wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:

The Mountain West conference played an 11 game FCS schedule (if you only count Idaho State once) this year. The schedule-makers were very kind, giving them all 11 games at home.

Looks like the MVC made it into the FCS playoffs as an unseeded "team" with an 8-3 record. They will face Southen Illinois in the first round with a trip to Missoula, Montana on the line for the winner. They were 1-3 (all at home) vs. other playoff teams - defeating UT-Martin but losing (badly) to Sac State, Weber State, and UIW.

There's your substance. The Mountain West is, on the whole, a fine conference and there is no disputing that they send significantly more talent to the NFL than does the Big Sky. That being said, MSU doesn't want to be just another rank-and-file Big Sky program. They want to contend for a national title every year. No one on BN would be happy with the above results for MSU, especially if they played every game at home!

I feel completely fine with my willingness to call upon past performance at Wyoming (especially because I was noting that he had both extraordinary games and terrible games) for Chambers and my feelings are perfectly intact (I find that people accuse others of hurt feelings are often the ones with hurt feelings, but that's another matter entirely). I think a healthy Mellott would easily start on a number (majority?) of MWC teams. To be fair, Chambers is playing with elite FCS talent and - on the whole - faces easier defenses than while at Wyoming. That take is spot-on.
That’s a lot of work to show that the MWC is significantly better than FCS teams, went 5-2 against the Big Sky, and it isn’t really relevant as they are one-off games and not an 11 game schedule of getting beat up by bigger and faster players. Also, you agreed with me at the end, so what was the point of that exercise?
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/fe/14/48E4CEF0-12BD-4D3B-95D8-C063C952C197/tmp.gif
You're going to have to really loosen up the security on your device for us to see that one.
Ha! It was the Jim Halpert, "Fight, fight, fight" meme lol

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:32 am

Team10 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:24 pm
PapaG wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:00 am
The level of competition at Wyoming is a lot better than at MSU, and Wyoming is an below-average team in terms of talent in that conference.

Chambers now gets to play against lesser athletes on defense and with top-notch FCS talent on offense. That should be taken into consideration IMO when evaluating his play. Mellott is already a very good FCS QB, but I’m not sure he’d see the field at Wyoming as a QB1. I don’t think he got a single FBS offer if I’m not mistaken.
This has to be near the top if not THE top for worst hot take of the season!
He’s not wrong though. Tommy most likely wouldn’t start at QB for Wyoming. However, that doesn’t mean he’s not the best option at QB at MSU.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:48 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:54 pm
Team10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
The level of competition at Wyoming is a lot better than at MSU, and Wyoming is an below-average team in terms of talent in that conference.

Chambers now gets to play against lesser athletes on defense and with top-notch FCS talent on offense. That should be taken into consideration IMO when evaluating his play. Mellott is already a very good FCS QB, but I’m not sure he’d see the field at Wyoming as a QB1. I don’t think he got a single FBS offer if I’m not mistaken.
What about that is wrong? Wyoming didn’t even offer Mellott, so it’s doubtful he’d have seen the field there as QB1. The competition in the MWC is better than the Big Sky, and Wyoming is an average team at best in it, meaning he was playing at a talent deficit. Wyoming managed to make Josh Allen look average because of their lack of talent/depth. And no, I’m not saying Sean is the next Josh Allen, he’s not, but they do play a similar style with big bodies as runners and big arm passers.

Or, are you not going to comment on the substance because it hurt your feelings and some people may think Sean is a better option than Tommy at this point?
Wyoming, the team that you say has a lot better competition and 22 more scholarships barely BARELY snuck by MSU last season. Chambers performance against the Cats with what should be a more talented offense all the way around...Passing: 15/26, 58% with 1 TD and 1 Int, Rushing: 14 for 51 yards with a long run of 13 yards. Let's compare that to the UC Davis game...Passing 13/21, 62% with 2 TD and 0 Int (uc davis should have had one but the LB has bricks for hands. Literally threw the ball right to him), Rushing 18 for 203 yards with long runs of 78 & 65. He was able to get those long runs thanks to some great WR blocking. You take those long runs away he has goes 16 for 60 yards. Would you look at that EXACTLY the same stat line he put up against the Cats but now, according to you, he should have superior weapons.

Now your argument about where a kid get a scholarship offer. Let's take this to the highest level of division 1 football and even a Heisman trophy winner at that, Baker Mayfield, who is of similar composition to Tommy. Baker was offered a scholarship by FAU, Rice, New Mexico and Wazu (who was 3-9 at the time). Where did he end up going, Texas Tech as a walk-on and won the starting job. Then, he transferred to Oklahoma again as a walk-on and won the starting job and two years later won the Heisman. So your point about where an athlete is offered a scholarship is an absolute terrible point to make. That's the same as saying because McCutcheon was an undrafted free agent means there's no way he's as good as the guys who were drafted or are already on the team. Maybe an offense is more conducive to the talents of a particular individual.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:53 pm

Team10 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:48 pm
You take those long runs away he has goes 16 for 60 yards. Would you look at that EXACTLY the same stat line he put up against the Cats but now, according to you, he should have superior weapons.
No dog in the fight but these comments always get a chuckle out of me. Take away his huge runs and he looked pretty average....

Playing that game, I can say if we take away his near interceptions and a couple other of his bad passes he looked pretty great passing the ball! :lol:
Last edited by ilovethecats on Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:57 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:53 pm
Team10 wrote:
You take those long runs away he has goes 16 for 60 yards. Would you look at that EXACTLY the same stat line he put up against the Cats but now, according to you, he should have superior weapons.
No dog in the fight but these comments always get a chuckle out of me. Take away his huge runs and he looked pretty average....

Playing that game, I can say if we take away his near completions and a couple other of his bad passes he looked pretty great passing the ball! :lol:
=D^

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:57 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Playing that game, I can say if we take away his near completions and a couple other of his bad passes he looked pretty great passing the ball! :lol:
=D^

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:58 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Reminds me of this classic r/nfl post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/d ... _removing/

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:00 pm

Take away the TD's and FG-s our defense gave up and we pitched a shutout

Sports is not bigger than life

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:12 pm

To be fair, that line of thinking is easy for a fan to do. I find myself doing it with the defense this year. Take away the big plays they've given up and the 10 touchdowns against the Beavs and maybe, just maybe they're not so bad...

Problem is, they DID give up a million touchdowns to the Beavs and they DO continue giving up the huge plays so at this point that is our defense.

In the case of Chambers though, he has performed amazingly with his feet all season long. So I can't think of a scenario where it's fair to suggest if we "take away" his huge runs he really didn't have that special of a game. The kid is just getting better and better every week.

It's great banter on this message board, but the truth I think is we're very lucky having the two QB's we have and I expect big things from them the next few months.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:18 pm

Team10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Team10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

What about that is wrong? Wyoming didn’t even offer Mellott, so it’s doubtful he’d have seen the field there as QB1. The competition in the MWC is better than the Big Sky, and Wyoming is an average team at best in it, meaning he was playing at a talent deficit. Wyoming managed to make Josh Allen look average because of their lack of talent/depth. And no, I’m not saying Sean is the next Josh Allen, he’s not, but they do play a similar style with big bodies as runners and big arm passers.

Or, are you not going to comment on the substance because it hurt your feelings and some people may think Sean is a better option than Tommy at this point?
Wyoming, the team that you say has a lot better competition and 22 more scholarships barely BARELY snuck by MSU last season. Chambers performance against the Cats with what should be a more talented offense all the way around...Passing: 15/26, 58% with 1 TD and 1 Int, Rushing: 14 for 51 yards with a long run of 13 yards. Let's compare that to the UC Davis game...Passing 13/21, 62% with 2 TD and 0 Int (uc davis should have had one but the LB has bricks for hands. Literally threw the ball right to him), Rushing 18 for 203 yards with long runs of 78 & 65. He was able to get those long runs thanks to some great WR blocking. You take those long runs away he has goes 16 for 60 yards. Would you look at that EXACTLY the same stat line he put up against the Cats but now, according to you, he should have superior weapons.

Now your argument about where a kid get a scholarship offer. Let's take this to the highest level of division 1 football and even a Heisman trophy winner at that, Baker Mayfield, who is of similar composition to Tommy. Baker was offered a scholarship by FAU, Rice, New Mexico and Wazu (who was 3-9 at the time). Where did he end up going, Texas Tech as a walk-on and won the starting job. Then, he transferred to Oklahoma again as a walk-on and won the starting job and two years later won the Heisman. So your point about where an athlete is offered a scholarship is an absolute terrible point to make. That's the same as saying because McCutcheon was an undrafted free agent means there's no way he's as good as the guys who were drafted or are already on the team. Maybe an offense is more conducive to the talents of a particular individual.
If you can't see the difference between being a starting QB at Wyoming, a middle of the pack team talent-wise in the MWC, and a middle of the pack program resources and advantage wise in the MWC, versus being at MSU, a top tier FCS program in terms of facilities, support, $, fanbase and resources then I don't know what to tell you.

The point was that he is on a team now that is a cream of the crop program for the level they play at, instead of being at a higher level but being a middle of the road in every way program. Comparatively it is easier to be a QB at MSU than Wyoming, I'm not sure how you can argue that.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Upsman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Upsman » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:17 pm

I will say this strictly as a fan of the game, having a team with 2 quality QB’s at this level is fun to watch, leads excitement on and off the field. Mostly creates a team mind set if our QB’s ego’s are in Check, you are only as good as the guy playing next to you. Look at any championship level team that quality is a must. From what I can tell so far Chambers and Mellot show a great respect for each other, and that respect and leadership has brought this team together… that brings hope that we might just end up in Frisco, even though we need to improve quickly over the next few weeks. My hats off to the coaching staff and the fans of our Bobcats, it is so much fun seeing the stands full… I even enjoyed watching the Record Crowd the other night watching the Lady Cats play the grizz in the field house. What a exciting time for MSU athletics. Go-Cats
Last edited by Upsman on Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3rd Generation MSU Graduate. Class of 88

RockyBearCat

Post by RockyBearCat » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:23 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:21 am
Rich K wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:06 am
catatac wrote:
PapaG wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:

Ha! It was the Jim Halpert, "Fight, fight, fight" meme lol

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:44 pm

Also, I think but am not sure that Tommy’s RS is still intact since he gets the Covid bonus year from 2020. Not saying it should happen, but isn’t it a possibility since he only played in 4 games this season so far?

Meaning he’d be a 4th-year sophomore next year and could conceivably get an undergrad and masters while on scholarship. Throwing that out there as a hypothetical so don’t have a meltdown.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:52 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:18 pm
Team10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Team10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

If you can't see the difference between being a starting QB at Wyoming, a middle of the pack team talent-wise in the MWC, and a middle of the pack program resources and advantage wise in the MWC, versus being at MSU, a top tier FCS program in terms of facilities, support, $, fanbase and resources then I don't know what to tell you.

The point was that he is on a team now that is a cream of the crop program for the level they play at, instead of being at a higher level but being a middle of the road in every way program. Comparatively it is easier to be a QB at MSU than Wyoming, I'm not sure how you can argue that.
Seems obvious to me that Chambers may have actually improved his game being back with Vigen and that the level of competition he’s facing this year is inferior to last year at Wyoming. I don’t know how that’s at all a controversial post to make, let alone the “hottest take” of the season. It’s as fact-based as opinions get.

What a ride

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:10 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:29 pm
The designation of "QB1" is irrelevant for this team. Tommy and Sean are two of the most talented players MSU has on offense, and when healthy both will play a lot. Which one takes the first snap of the game...who cares.
:goodpost: It’s my gut feeling that as you look around college football the tip of the iceberg might be melting a little. For many, many years the #1 question around every team has been who will be THE QUARTERBACK. Lots of print, lots of speculation, lots of coaches losing sleep trying to figure it out. Maybe, just maybe the question is changing a little to how deep is the RB room, how many good receivers are there, how many experienced quarterbacks do we have?

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:59 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:44 pm
Also, I think but am not sure that Tommy’s RS is still intact since he gets the Covid bonus year from 2020. Not saying it should happen, but isn’t it a possibility since he only played in 4 games this season so far?

Meaning he’d be a 4th-year sophomore next year and could conceivably get an undergrad and masters while on scholarship. Throwing that out there as a hypothetical so don’t have a meltdown.
I believe this should be a consideration, it is what I thought after seeing Tua's injury.

Hey, let the brain heal. I mean fully heal. Don't pull a dolphin just to win...

Purely from a health stand point, do what is best for the human. If he's ready, go, if not, sit. We could do without for two weeks, then evaluate.

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:18 am

PapaG wrote:

I agree with several of your points. Not only does he get to play lesser athletes, but now he gets to be in a better rhythm by being the starter rather than coming in for spot duty as he has been doing this year. Regardless what Coach decides, I wish nothing but health for both guys moving forward!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:33 pm

Team10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Team10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:

So, after reading this rant, Chambers did nothing spectacular and it was his teammates that elevated him to the first 200/200 game by a Bobcat QB. Take away his long runs and he still moved the ball but not as well. Also, because he barely beat MSU last year it means he’s not good. Oh, and Baker Mayfield, as you showed, did have FBS scholarship offers, so that was a weird flex in whatever you were trying to do in this classic Fail Post. I think Tommy is a unique talent at QB, is fun to watch, and he wins. I’m of the thought right now that Sean is more durable and offers many of the same skills as Tommy gets healed from both the ankle and the concussion. You’re comparing Mellott to a Heisman Trophy winner. It’s bizarre.

Did I get that correct? If I did, this is the dumbest post I’ve read here in years in terms of analyzing what was an all-time great performance by an MSU QB. Sean had a great game and you’re crapping all over him for no apparent reason other than you fee-fees. I’ll assume you’re trolling and not really an MSU. I gather you’re not an alum, at least I hope not after reading all of that phooey.

Also, as incredible as Lance is as a WR, he hasn’t played one offensive snap in being active two games. He’s a work in progress and I can’t wait to see him improve over the next few years. He’s playing well on ST already.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:50 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:00 pm
Take away the TD's and FG-s our defense gave up and we pitched a shutout
Take away Corey Smith’s opening KO return TD against the Gris and the Bobcats have lost 17 in a row.

What a ride